SAY IT ISNT SO!!!! IS DISENY 2-D Animation NO MORE????

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

SAY IT ISNT SO!!!! IS DISENY 2-D Animation NO MORE????

Post by DreamerQ18 »

SO I am a Disney move fanatic and my friend recently told me that they are planning on pulling the plug altogether on 2-D art Home On the Range will be the last 2-D movie? Does anyone have Any information this for Me? Tell me she was only pulling my leg?
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

I am afraid your friend wasn't pulling your leg. Home on the Range is the last disney 2-D animated film.
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

Um, sorry, she's not. Home on the Range is the final traditionally animated project from Walt Disney Feature Animation. All further movies (for the time being anyway) will be CGI, starting with Chicken Little in 2005. This is due to several things, but the main reason is Disney looked at the relative failure of several of their recent traditionally animated movies to make money at the boxoffice (with a few exceptions), and then looked at all of the recent CGI hits being huge boxoffice/critical/audience successes (Pixar, Shrek, Ice Age, etc.) and wrongly translated that as meaning that the public isn't interested in 2D anymore. So...yeah, no more feature 2D.

It's sad.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

This can't be true Home on the range is the last 2-D film.
How about the 2-D sequels are Diseny still going to make them?
I guess Pixar kind of films are more popular now. :cry:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

MickeyMousePal wrote:This can't be true Home on the range is the last 2-D film.
How about the 2-D sequels are Diseny still going to make them?
I guess Pixar kind of films are more popular now. :cry:
Well, I guess 2D sequels will continue for a little while, but they will be phased out eventually.

I'm sure there will also be 2D films somewhere down the track, but the next 4 or 5 slated are all 3D.

I have no problem with 3D per se, and the 2D stuff will always be available on DVD, but...eh...that's "progress" for ya.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Sir Hawkins
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sir Hawkins »

If Treasure Planet, Piglets Big Movie, Jungle Book 2, etc. would have been completely CGI, they still would have flopped. You need to give people content they want, not just visual effects. I myself was one of the very few who absolutely loved TP, but that's another topic. . It has nothing to do with progression. Technology does NOT mean high box office gross. Take a look at the wave of movies coming out of hollywood with great FX and CGI, and don't even break even at the box office. Why? Because they don't appeal to people. Another reason Disney is failing in their 2D movies is because they don't appeal to adults, the people who have to take their kids to the movie and watch it also. Lilo & Stitch and The Emperor's New Groove are the most recent 2D animations that did very well in the box office. Why? Because the humor in them appeals mostly to adults. Why do all the Pixar movies make 9 digits at the box offoce? Because almost always they encorporate tons of adult humor (not dirty, just advanced). Sorry to hear the cartoon market is over for Disney. Again they cut off their nose to spite their face.
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

It seems that "Home on the range" is the "last chapter", so to speak. Sort of sad, but if the alternative was making only more or less mediocre films I guess it's all right not to go on forever...

There is always the possibility, however, that Disney under a new management could reconsider some time in the future. I'd say there's really nothing in traditional 2D animation per se that makes it obsolete. It's just that the Disney Company doesn't know what to do with it any more...
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

This will likely only be a phase, we just have to hope it isn't one that lasts long. I do think things could change when new management arrives at Disney.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Wow thats really sad that there will be no more 2-D I hope this is just a fad for Disney and they return to hand drawings. Thanks to everyone who answed me though :) .
jedipir8

Post by jedipir8 »

I assume it will change, and just take a second and think about the marketing for the first movie they release in 2-D again. "Disney returns with its first Animated movie in X years, remember the joy from the Lion king, and Alladin? Well it's back, Don't miss it... blah blah blah." I'm starting to wonder if it is a marketing ploy.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I guess Disney Producers and Animation lost interest in making great fairly tales.
Disney happens to run out of ideas.
First the musical from the movie are gone then the talents of actors are also gone. Cheaper drawing is next. Better 3-D graphics in Nemo and Toy Story destroyed 2-D.
I wish it were not really the end of traditional 2-D animation; I will miss it if it's true. :cry:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

jedipir8 wrote:I assume it will change, and just take a second and think about the marketing for the first movie they release in 2-D again. "Disney returns with its first Animated movie in X years, remember the joy from the Lion king, and Alladin? Well it's back, Don't miss it... blah blah blah." I'm starting to wonder if it is a marketing ploy.
I doubt it's a marketing ploy. Firstly, most of the animators have been "let go". There's no gurantee that when Disney wants to make 2D films again they will be able to get them back (and of course, the general trend away from 2D elsewhere means new talent is thin on the ground). Secondly, Disney has sold most of the equipment needed for creating 2D films.

Remember though, DisneyToon is still open and making 2D films. There's no reason why in the future Disney can give them more time and money to make the next feature animation rather than DTVs.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

wanna know how disney can come back with a bang??? say around 2010...wait.thatll b too late..2009..they should release an animated version of the broadway hit AIDA.ive been craving it for years.just imagine..the setting..the story..the music..the adult theme..the maturity..this'll attract adult audiences..no kiddish elements and the music.oh yes...ppl love musicals to b brought back again.it could b another chicago for disney. eisner i hope ur listening. plus..its time for disney animation to move into another direction right...for now..the first empire has ended...with 44 great kings and queens...the second empire will emerge..or perhaps the rebel force. :wink:
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
Cressida
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cressida »

akhenaten wrote:wanna know how disney can come back with a bang??? say around 2010...wait.thatll b too late..2009..they should release an animated version of the broadway hit AIDA.ive been craving it for years.just imagine..the setting..the story..the music..the adult theme..the maturity..this'll attract adult audiences..no kiddish elements and the music.oh yes...ppl love musicals to b brought back again.it could b another chicago for disney. eisner i hope ur listening. plus..its time for disney animation to move into another direction right...for now..the first empire has ended...with 44 great kings and queens...the second empire will emerge..or perhaps the rebel force. :wink:
I so agree with you! Disney's Aida musical will be excellent as animation movie! :) The music and everything is so perfect in it.
Umm.. I'm stupid but what's the difference between 2-d and 3-d animation movies? Will all the 3-d animation look like Finding Nemo? And is all other Disney movies like Cinderella, Aladdin, Lion King, Dumbo etc.. 2-d movies? :oops:
Captain Hook
Special Edition

Post by Captain Hook »

HKR wrote:Umm.. I'm stupid but what's the difference between 2-d and 3-d animation movies? Will all the 3-d animation look like Finding Nemo? And is all other Disney movies like Cinderella, Aladdin, Lion King, Dumbo etc.. 2-d movies? :oops:
You're not stupid, 2D and 3D are just slang for "traditionally animated features" and "computer animated features" :roll:. Therefore all Disney films except Dinosaur would be considered traditional; all Pixar would be computer.
BlueDevilSF
Limited Issue

Post by BlueDevilSF »

Well, I won't be sorry to see these substandard sequels go by the wayside.

And if that means no "Lilo & Stitch 2," I hope the 2-disc release gets pushed back into a 2004 release date.
Last edited by BlueDevilSF on Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Okay so wait do you really think they would do that make the sequal 3-D?
That would totaly ruin the movie for me! :x thats crap... But I do want the movie to be realsed this year in 2 disc format. Lilo and Stitch is my favorite Disney movie! :D
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Disney already has tons of DTV sequels planned in 3D. Really stupid. theyre all sheep!
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Do you happen to know which ones?
ohmahaaha
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ohmahaaha »

Personally I think 2D will come back just as soon as they have a few 3D flops in a row, or better yet, another studio has a huge, huge hit with 2D.

Actually the end of 2D is the least of Disney's worries these days, what with losing Pixar, the negative publicity in all of the media regarding Eisner vs. Roy, and "Home on the Range" and "Alamo" tanking at the box office.