Oscar for Best Original Song 2020—Present

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Oscar for Best Original Song 2020

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:"Seen" has won the Golden Globe for Best Original Song. This is Diane Warren's second Golden Globe win. Her first one was for "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me" from the film "Burlesque".

Source: https://twitter.com/goldenglobes/status ... 2596084737
I didn't expect "Seen" would win at the Golden Globes. It was a nice surprise. It's a shame Diane Warren's acceptance speech was pre-recorded (or at least it seemed it was). I didn't remember she already had a Golden Globe. But, though it wasn't her first time winning, I would've liked to see her reaction.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The Oscar nominations are out.
Original Song

"Fight for You" — Judas and the Black Messiah
"Hear My Voice" — The Trial of the Chicago 7
"Husavik (My Hometown)" — Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
"Seen" — The Life Ahead
"Speak Now" — One Night in Miami
Source: https://www.oscars.org/news/93rd-oscars ... -announced
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

"Fight for You" has won Best Song at the Oscars beating out favorites like "Speak Now" and "Seen". "Fight for You" managed quite the upset as the only award it had won prior to the Oscar was by the Las Vegas Film Critics Society. "Speak Now" had won thirteen awards, "Seen" had won four, "Husavik (My Hometown)" had won three and "Hear My Voice" had won one. Diane Warren is already prepping for her 13th Oscar nomination next year with the song "Somehow You Do" for the film Four Good Days.

Source: https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1 ... 7791458304
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:"Fight for You" has won Best Song at the Oscars beating out favorites like "Speak Now" and "Seen". "Fight for You" managed quite the upset as the only award it had won prior to the Oscar was by the Las Vegas Film Critics Society. "Speak Now" had won thirteen awards, "Seen" had won four, "Husavik (My Hometown)" had won three and "Hear My Voice" had won one.
Yeah, that was quite a surprise. I thought if "Speak Now" didn't win, the award would go to "Seen". Well, "Fight for You" is not a bad song either, but I like the other two I mentioned more.
Sotiris wrote:Diane Warren is already prepping for her 13th Oscar nomination next year with the song "Somehow You Do" for the film Four Good Days.
I had heard Diane Warren had written a song for that film, but I didn't know it was already available to listen. I think she does have a good chance of being nominated again next year for that song. I love the lyrics. The music is good too, but doesn't stand out as much as the lyrics to me. Maybe it'll grow on me, though. Glenn Close also looks likely to get a supporting actress nomination again for that film.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I predicted "Fight for You", but mainly because of Judas and the Black Messiah doing better than expected in other categories, so I figured the movie had a lot of fans within the Academy. I also thought the message of the song might be seen as relevant and timely.

I listened to all of the nominated songs and my favourite was actually "Husavik." It was a really lovely song and it at least stayed in my head after listening to it, which I can't say the same for the other nominees.

I still have no idea why "Rocket to the Moon" didn't even make the shortlist, as it's the kind of animated movie song that's often recognised. Funnily enough, they actually played a clip of the song when presenting Best Animated Feature, which almost felt like an apology for not nominating the song.

Diane Warren could win this category next year, but I think she could have serious competition from Lin-Manuel Miranda possibly completing his EGOT. He wrote an original song for "In the Heights" and he also has two animated musicals scheduled for this year with "Vivo" and "Encanto." I wonder if he could wind up getting three original song nominations for three separate films. His feature directing debut "Tick, Tick, Boom" is also being released on Netflix sometime in 2021, so he is going to be everywhere.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I saw that you won the contest, Estefan, congratulations!!

As for Vivo, I have a feeling that that movie is going to be postponed, Sony hasn't released anything about it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Yeah, that was quite a surprise. I thought if "Speak Now" didn't win, the award would go to "Seen". Well, "Fight for You" is not a bad song either, but I like the other two I mentioned more.
"Fight for You" was my least favorite of the nominees. Like you said, it's not a bad song, it has a nice funky/soul flavor to it, but overall it's not very memorable. Here's how I would rank this year's Oscar nominees.

01. Io Sì (Seen)
02. Husavik (My Hometown)
03. Speak Now
04. Hear My Voice
05. Fight for You
D82 wrote:I had heard Diane Warren had written a song for that film, but I didn't know it was already available to listen. I think she does have a good chance of being nominated again next year for that song. I love the lyrics. The music is good too, but doesn't stand out as much as the lyrics to me. Maybe it'll grow on me, though.
It's a nice, pleasant song, but it's not catchy enough to stand out. There's no way she's winning with this one. Especially since the competition is going to be even tougher next year with Billie Eilish's "No Time to Die", LMM's "Home All Summer" and a dozen other songs of his from Encanto and Vivo.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

In an effort to console Diane Warren, songwriter Carole Bayer Sager totally shaded Stephen Schwartz. :shock:
Warren, who looked ready to win in a Valentino suit and sequined turtleneck, received a flood of congratulatory messages on social media following the show, which featured all the nominated songs during a pre-show on ABC. Among them was one from longtime friend and collaborator Carole Bayer Sager, a superstar songwriter in her own right.

"As someone who was nominated 8 times and who won once — "Arthur's Theme" — I can tell you a win feels better than a loss, but I can also agree it's the movie. My song with David Foster, sung by Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli, like yours, won the Golden Globe, and then lost to the song from The Prince of Egypt's "When You Believe" I can only say, be consoled by the fact no one knows the song that won and "The Prayer" is still played and performed the world over," she posed. "This will be the case with your song. Burt Bacharach wrote one of my favorite songs, "Alfie", and it lost to, "Talk To The Animals" Take comfort in knowing you are a great songwriter and many of your songs have stood the test of time. That is in the end, what every songwriter dreams of."
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambl ... oscar-loss
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:I still have no idea why "Rocket to the Moon" didn't even make the shortlist, as it's the kind of animated movie song that's often recognised. Funnily enough, they actually played a clip of the song when presenting Best Animated Feature, which almost felt like an apology for not nominating the song.
I was a bit surprised they chose a clip from the song instead of a more dramatic moment from the film like the other nominees. Maybe it really was a way of apologizing for that.
farerb wrote:As for Vivo, I have a feeling that that movie is going to be postponed, Sony hasn't released anything about it.
You were right something was happening with that movie, as Sotiris has posted in another thread. We'll see if it's still released this year or not now that Netflix has bought the rights.
Sotiris wrote:"Fight for You" was my least favorite of the nominees. Like you said, it's not a bad song, it has a nice funky/soul flavor to it, but overall it's not very memorable. Here's how I would rank this year's Oscar nominees.

01. Io Sì (Seen)
02. Husavik (My Hometown)
03. Speak Now
04. Hear My Voice
05. Fight for You
I agree "Fight for You" is not very memorable. I also agree with your ranking, except for "Husavik", which is my least favorite. It's a nice song, and I think they succeeded at making it sound like it belonged to Eurovision. But that's the problem for me, it sounds too much like the typical Eurovision song to me and I'm a bit fed up with that sound. I guess I've watched too many editions of the European song contest. :lol:
Sotiris wrote:It's a nice, pleasant song, but it's not catchy enough to stand out. There's no way she's winning with this one. Especially since the competition is going to be even tougher next year with Billie Eilish's "No Time to Die", LMM's "Home All Summer" and a dozen other songs of his from Encanto and Vivo.
I didn't remember that, as you and estefan pointed out, it's going to be such a competitive year. I didn't think she would win with that song; just perhaps be nominated, but now I even doubt she'll be able to do that. We'll see. It's also possible she'll have other songs in contention. This year she had three.
Sotiris wrote:In an effort to console Diane Warren, songwriter Carole Bayer Sager totally shaded Stephen Schwartz. :shock:
Had that been a private message, it would've been fine, but since it was public, she should've been more careful with her words.

So, according to that article, Diane Warren has now the record for the most-nominated woman without an Oscar. I think that can actually help her. Next time there's a year like this where her song is one of the favorites, maybe more people will vote for her.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Netflix just released a promo for the movies they are releasing this summer and Vivo was included. I can see it releasing in July or August, as I assume Miranda wouldn't want it opening so close to "In the Heights."

I think Diane Warren's closest chance of winning came with "Til It Happens to You" from The Hunting Ground. I remember it was actually the favourite, because of its message and the star power of Lady Gaga. It was the last of the nominated songs performed at the ceremony and it was an emotional performance, too. So it was pretty awkward when the winner was announced shortly afterwards and "Spectre" won the Oscar instead.

Her recent nominations have mostly been for little seen films or documentaries. Looking over her past nomination and losses, she always loses to chart-topping hits ("I've Had the Time of My Life", "My Heart Will Go On", "Shallow"), animated movie songs ("You'll Be in My Heart", "When You Believe", "Remember Me", "If I Didn't Have You") and songs performed by really popular artists ("I'm Gonna Love Me Again", "Fight for You", "Glory"). I do think she will win one day, but I think it depends on the movie it comes from, who sings it and its message. "Til It Happens to You" had those ingredients and to this day, I still don't entirely understand why voters selected such a weak James Bond song. It hasn't been a "Skyfall" where people still remember it years later or even still remember it right after watching the movie.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

No offense to Warren, or Gaga, or the message, but "Til It Happens to You" was just un-listenable to me. Warren has written much better songs, but perhaps a different vocalist could've done that one a little better than Gaga did, too. Gaga is good at dance songs. Ballads often aren't her strength, the way she performs them is so OTT and while she has a good voice, it's not "pretty" exactly on the more range-y songs. *shrug* Clearly Sam Smith and Spectre were trying to re-create Adele's "Skyfall"--he's always sort of stood in Adele's shadow that way--but I still do like "Writing's on the Wall" overall. It kind of reminds me of how that Pearl Harbor movie had an End Credits theme that so obviously tried to ripoff Titanic's theme (they even tried to get Celine to sing it, but she decided people would see it as a repeat on her end as well). And, yet, I still do like "There You'll Be" (Faith Hill) despite all that baggage. I had no fondness for that film at all either, unlike "My Heart Will Go On" which was beautiful on its own while also being elevated by being paired with the film's love story (I think the song also elevates the film--it's a mutually beneficial relationship).

Whether or not Warren ever wins, there's no denying her talent. I can just type her name into my Windows player and a practically endless number of incredible songs pop up. It reminds me of the Glenn Close situation. Many women never get their proper dues in this world. That said, "When You Believe" is beloved, partly because it's a beautiful song with religious significance as well as for involving two superstars (Whitney and Mariah). It has been picked regularly on all the singer shows for years and years. I understand what Sager's intention was though, that it seems like studio politics seem to play a bigger role in who wins than quality or talent. Reminds me of when "I See the Light" lost years ago to a song that paled in comparison. The Academy had already made their bias against Menken obvious with rule changes made just to thwart him. It's the same way Disney / PIXAR win most years even up against much better competition from lesser known and less rich and influential studios...

I didn't watch every minute of the Oscars--it's just too boring--but I noticed Mulan 2020 lost most everything. Did they lose all, Sotiris, or was there some category they won that I missed? I know they lost Best Costume or whatever it's titled. A shame Boseman didn't win the Oscar as a good gesture for a great actor's career being cut far too short, but at least Hopkins is very talented and that film he's in that's about Alzheimer's does look like it's pretty good.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I didn't think she would win with that song; just perhaps be nominated, but now I even doubt she'll be able to do that. We'll see. It's also possible she'll have other songs in contention. This year she had three.
You're right. She'll probably have more than one song in contention. It's a good strategy to not put all her eggs in one basket. The music branch of the Academy has become very fickle and unpredictable, so it's wise to diversify.
D82 wrote:So, according to that article, Diane Warren has now the record for the most-nominated woman without an Oscar. I think that can actually help her. Next time there's a year like this where her song is one of the favorites, maybe more people will vote for her.
I think so too. I believe she's already gained lots of sympathy and good will from Academy members this award season. Now, she only needs to write another song that will stand out. It's easier said than done, of course, but I'm confident she'll get there.
Disney's Divinity wrote:No offense to Warren, or Gaga, or the message, but "Til It Happens to You" was just un-listenable to me. Warren has written much better songs, but perhaps a different vocalist could've done that one a little better than Gaga did, too. Gaga is good at dance songs. Ballads often aren't her strength, the way she performs them is so OTT and while she has a good voice, it's not "pretty" exactly on the more range-y songs. *shrug* Clearly Sam Smith and Spectre were trying to re-create Adele's "Skyfall"--he's always sort of stood in Adele's shadow that way--but I still do like "Writing's on the Wall" overall. It kind of reminds me of how that Pearl Harbor movie had an End Credits theme that so obviously tried to ripoff Titanic's theme (they even tried to get Celine to sing it, but she decided people would see it as a repeat on her end as well). And, yet, I still do like "There You'll Be" (Faith Hill) despite all that baggage. I had no fondness for that film at all either, unlike "My Heart Will Go On" which was beautiful on its own while also being elevated by being paired with the film's love story (I think the song also elevates the film--it's a mutually beneficial relationship).

Whether or not Warren ever wins, there's no denying her talent. I can just type her name into my Windows player and a practically endless number of incredible songs pop up. It reminds me of the Glenn Close situation. Many women never get their proper dues in this world. That said, "When You Believe" is beloved, partly because it's a beautiful song with religious significance as well as for involving two superstars (Whitney and Mariah). It has been picked regularly on all the singer shows for years and years. I understand what Sager's intention was though, that it seems like studio politics seem to play a bigger role in who wins than quality or talent. Reminds me of when "I See the Light" lost years ago to a song that paled in comparison. The Academy had already made their bias against Menken obvious with rule changes made just to thwart him. It's the same way Disney / PIXAR win most years even up against much better competition from lesser known and less rich and influential studios...
I don't have anything else to add other than that I agree with everything you've said.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I didn't watch every minute of the Oscars--it's just too boring--but I noticed Mulan 2020 lost most everything. Did they lose all, Sotiris, or was there some category they won that I missed? I know they lost Best Costume or whatever it's titled.
Mulan lost in both categories it was nominated in, Costume Design and Visual Effects, and rightfully so. This entire awards season Mulan only won three awards: A People's Choice Award (Best Action Movie), a Costume Designers Guild Award (Excellence in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Film) and a Visual Effects Society Award (Outstanding Created Environment in a Photoreal Feature).
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

"Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" won Best Costume Design and "Tenet" won Best Visual Effects (the two categories "Mulan" was nominated for), which were the predicted winners, anyway.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I'm not surprised to see H.E.R. win. She's basically the most obvious industry plant to ever exist, and she only seems to exist for award shows.

Not that her music is bad at all mind you. I liked that one just fine. But it's pretty clear that award voters like her better than the GP does.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:Netflix just released a promo for the movies they are releasing this summer and Vivo was included. I can see it releasing in July or August, as I assume Miranda wouldn't want it opening so close to "In the Heights."
I'm glad we won't have to wait too long to see it.
estefan wrote:I think Diane Warren's closest chance of winning came with "Til It Happens to You" from The Hunting Ground. I remember it was actually the favourite, because of its message and the star power of Lady Gaga. It was the last of the nominated songs performed at the ceremony and it was an emotional performance, too. So it was pretty awkward when the winner was announced shortly afterwards and "Spectre" won the Oscar instead.
Yes, that was a surprise. That year Diane's song was expected to win. Personally, I like both songs, but I think "Til It Happens to You" deserved the Oscar more. This year the winning song was also the last one to be performed and had the most impressive staging of all the songs. I wonder if the producers suspected it would win.
Disney's Divinity wrote:That said, "When You Believe" is beloved, partly because it's a beautiful song with religious significance as well as for involving two superstars (Whitney and Mariah). It has been picked regularly on all the singer shows for years and years.
That's what I thought too. I was surprised she said it was almost forgotten nowadays. I thought both "When You Believe" and "The Prayer" were more or less on par.
Disney's Divinity wrote:A shame Boseman didn't win the Oscar as a good gesture for a great actor's career being cut far too short, but at least Hopkins is very talented and that film he's in that's about Alzheimer's does look like it's pretty good.
Yeah, it's a real shame. I was rooting for him to win. I've seen both performances and both were really good, so I think Anthony Hopkins was a deserving winner too, but this was the last chance they had to award Chadwick Boseman and Anthony Hopkins already had an Oscar in that category. I think if Netflix had submitted him as supporting actor (which is what he actually was in that film), he would've won without problems.
Sotiris wrote:You're right. She'll probably have more than one song in contention. It's a good strategy to not put all her eggs in one basket. The music branch of the Academy has become very fickle and unpredictable, so it's wise to diversify.
Yes, I agree.
Sotiris wrote:I think so too. I believe she's already gained lots of sympathy and good will from Academy members this award season. Now, she only needs to write another song that will stand out. It's easier said than done, of course, but I'm confident she'll get there.
I think so too.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The Academy just announced a few revisions in some of the categories, including Best Original Song.

Now, studios aren't allowed to submit more than five songs per film. Not that it makes too much of a difference. Most distributors, including Disney, have shifted to submitting only one, two or three songs to avoid vote-splitting. Netflix only submitted "Rocket to the Moon" from Over the Moon for the Oscar last year, despite it being a musical with several original songs.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:The Academy just announced a few revisions in some of the categories, including Best Original Song.

Now, studios aren't allowed to submit more than five songs per film. Not that it makes too much of a difference. Most distributors, including Disney, have shifted to submitting only one, two or three songs to avoid vote-splitting. Netflix only submitted "Rocket to the Moon" from Over the Moon for the Oscar last year, despite it being a musical with several original songs.
Interesting, but it's a bit strange they added that rule now. As you said, lately studios usually don't submit more than three songs per film.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I think they made that change to reduce the number of submitted entries each year and make it a little easier for their members to sift through them. Just last year, there were cases where six and seven songs from a movie were submitted.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

One of Lin-Manuel Miranda's songs for Vivo, titled "Keep the Beat", has been released. Here's also the clip from the song in the movie.

Sotiris wrote:I think they made that change to reduce the number of submitted entries each year and make it a little easier for their members to sift through them. Just last year, there were cases where six and seven songs from a movie were submitted.
I see now I forgot to reply to this. Yes, I guess that's the reason for that change in the rules. I was just surprised they made it now when less and less films submit all their songs to the Oscars.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Another song from Vivo has been released. I don't think this one has chances of being nominated and probably it won't even be submitted for consideration, but who knows. It's titled "My Own Drum (Remix)" and it's a collaboration between Lin-Manuel Miranda and Missy Elliott. Here's also the lyric video.

By the way, it looks like the film will have some 2D animation (0:30 minute mark of the trailer).