John Ripa Left Disney

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

John Ripa Left Disney

Post by Sotiris »

John Ripa has left WDAS after 27 years. He started his career at the studio working as an animator on The Lion King, Pocahontas, and Hunchback. He was the supervising animator of young Tarzan and Jim Hawkins. When the studio went CG, he transitioned into storyboarding. He worked as a story artist on almost all of the CG films including Tangled, Frozen, Moana, and Zootopia. Most recently, he worked as a co-director (aka assistant director) on Raya and the Last Dragon. He has joined Netflix Animation and is working on Sergio Pablos' next 2D feature, Ember. This is the second time he's collaborating with Sergio. The first was on Treasure Planet where Sergio was the supervising animator of Dr. Doppler.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CemamDKP81w/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: John Ripa Left Disney

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:This is the second time he's collaborating with Sergio. The first was on Treasure Planet where Sergio was the supervising animator of Dr. Doppler.
I didn't know there was a Disney connection on Klaus, but I can see it now. I'm glad he's working on something hand-drawn again and wish him well at Netflix. I mean, what animator would prefer working on a 3D film at WDAS or PIXAR when they could do something hand-drawn at Netflix? Hopefully Disney will go back to hand-drawn out of the need for cheaper, quicker streaming content eventually.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: John Ripa Left Disney

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, it`s a pity that he`s leaving Disney. Considering that he was one of the few remaining of the animators from the Renaissance left. But I wish him the best at his new job.