W.I.T.C.H.

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: W.I.T.C.H.

Post by Sotiris »

The graphic novels are being released by Yen Press.
Looking to expand its efforts in a fast growing children’s graphic novel market, Yen Press LLC, a joint venture between Hachette and Japanese publisher Kadokawa, is launching JY, a new imprint focused on middle grade graphic novels. Named for JuYoun Lee, the deputy publisher of Yen Press, the new imprint will launch in fall 2017 with the first of three series. Lee will curate and edit the JY list which will publish about 12 books a year. [...]

Originally created at the Disney comics studio in Italy, JY will repackage the series with a new English translation and updated trim size. JY will publish 12 W.I.T.C.H. titles with plans to release the series’ first three-book story arc, The Twelve Portals, all at once, beginning in the fall. Going forward with the W.I.T.C.H. series, JY plans to release three volumes at a time, every four months.

The three-at-once release schedule will deliver a “satisfying chunk of content to a new audience,” according to Yen Press publisher Kurt Hassler. Hassler said most of the original W.I.T.C.H. series was never published in English. “There was no graphic novel market” in the U.S., he said, when the series was first published.
Source: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by- ... -2017.html

You can already pre-order the following volumes.

Part I
The Twelve Portals: Volume 1
The Twelve Portals: Volume 2
The Twelve Portals: Volume 3

Part II
Nerissa's Revenge: Volume 1
Nerissa's Revenge: Volume 2
Nerissa's Revenge: Volume 3

Part III
A Crisis on Both Worlds: Volume 1
A Crisis on Both Worlds: Volume 2
A Crisis on Both Worlds: Volume 3

Part IV
Trial of the Oracle: Volume 1
Trial of the Oracle: Volume 2
Trial of the Oracle: Volume 3

Part V
The Book of Elements: Volume 1
The Book of Elements: Volume 2
The Book of Elements: Volume 3
The Book of Elements: Volume 4

Part VI
Ragorlang: Volume 1
Ragorlang: Volume 2
Ragorlang: Volume 3

Part VII
New Power: Volume 1
New Power: Volume 2
New Power: Volume 3

Part VIII
Teach 2b W.I.T.C.H.: Volume 1
Teach 2b W.I.T.C.H.: Volume 2
Teach 2b W.I.T.C.H.: Volume 3

Part IX
100% Witch: Volume 1
100% Witch: Volume 2
100% Witch: Volume 3
100% Witch: Volume 4

Part X
Ladies vs. W.I.T.C.H.: Volume 1
Ladies vs. W.I.T.C.H.: Volume 2
Ladies vs. W.I.T.C.H.: Volume 3
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

So glad Disney is giving W.I.T.C.H. a 2nd chance here in the States. W.I.T.C.H. was originally a Comic series from Disney Italy that ran from April 2001-October 2012 "149 issues I believe, not counting specials". It first came here to the states in April 2004 as a book series, but only lasted to #25 :( Even the Graphic Novels that followed didn't last to long. The animated series lasted for 2 seasons "52 episodes" from December 2004-December 2006. It was on around the same time Nickelodeon did Avatar: The last air bender, Cartoon Network's Ben 10, & Fox's Winx. Hopefully this time it will catch on with this new generation. There was even Dolls of the characters at the Disney Store back then, which today will run you around $100 if you can find them on Ebay. Would be so cool if W.I.T.C.H. would be absorbed in to Marvel, then it would have the platform needed to be even bigger! A live-action movie or a series on Freeform would be excellent. Good luck W.I.T.C.H. & welcome back :up:
Attachments
#!001_t-Edge-Web-Notes-Your-reac323078343.jpg
#!001_t-Edge-Web-Notes-Your-reac323078343.jpg (238.47 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I loved W.I.T.CH. and I'm so glad it'll be back. I never realized it was Italian in origin though nor that it ran so long over there. I used to watch the episodes and read some of the books but like you said, it was never really popular here. I'm hoping that with all the superhero hype, this does better especially to cater to young girls. DC has their Women Superheroes like Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Harley Quinn, etc. something Disney/Marvel has been lacking in merchandising for. They're stepping up now with their new Star Wars line for girls but this might be the answer to a lack of female superheroes being merchandised especially since they've got some of the "girlier" qualities like the Disney Princesses.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I wonder why this never turned into a big thing, bc it has all the elements of being a big brand...I think it was even a big thing in Europe back when it first came out...

I guess it's because foreign comics are never as popular in the USA as nation-made comics. Like how Tintin is a niche thing, or Donald Duck is mostly known for his shorts over the comics in the USA, despite being very popular in Europe...

In USA it's only superheroes and comic strips
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

I don't know when that happened, but it seems they will release arcs 4-6 too. Does it mean the comics sell well? I really do hope they will translate the whole series and special issues. I know it is wishful thinking, but I keep hoping there could be some new W.I.T.C.H. material in the future.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I actually haven't been buying the comics but I want to just so that W.I.T.C.H. keeps making money. I recently rewatched both seasons of the show and I really wish it would have continued. I would love a revival of this series. I now Totally Spies! got a sixth season years after the show ended and with all the female superhero brands being created today, this would totally fit.

My favorite used to be Cornelia (admittedly enough because of of her hair and skirt, alongside her personality) but Irma has grown to be my new favorite, alongside Will since she's the main one and I always favor the redhead. Taranee was my favorite for Season 1 but I found her to be a bit annoying in Season 2 which is the opposite of how I felt about Hay Lin. I didn't like her at all in Season 1 but she really grew on me in Season 2.
ImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

When Disney start their own streaming service next year, maybe they could get the rights to W.I.T.C.H. Then the show could be popular enough that all the comic book issues are published.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Does Disney not have the rights to W.I.T.C.H. anymore? I thought that it was created by Disney Italy, or the comic book was initially.
ImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Didn't know they already had the rights. If so, then it shouldn't be a problem to offer them on their upcoming streaming service. It may have been some years since it was made, but that's no reason why the show can't suddenly become popular. Just look at the Steamed Hams sequence in The Simpsons. It took more than 20 years before it really took off.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I'd prefer a reboot of the series, at this point. Maybe more accurate to the comics. I know people liked the show, but I just couldn't get behind it due to so many unnecessary changes.

In the world we live in, where female superheroes are the next hot thing and Disney is looking everywhere to promote badass female fighters (Moana, Rey, Black Widow), the WITCH girls seem like the perfect candidate to promote. Girl power, diversity, and all the girls have distinct and unique personalities. At least I remember in Europe when the comics first came out there was merch everywhere, so I assume people liked it.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Italy is rebooting the comic book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_BQaT3A5QQ
ImageImageImageImageImageImage