Lightyear

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Lightyear

Post by D82 »

Standee seen at Cinemacon 2022:

Source: https://bleedingcool.com/movies/cinemac ... s-dc-pets/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

DisneyEra wrote:Well, maybe we'll get a Strange World trailer in 2 months :shrug:
You know what? Speaking of which, it`s pretty astonishing that we`ve gotten nothing on the project yet! No new leaks, no concept art or information whatsoever.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:Well, maybe we'll get a Strange World trailer in 2 months :shrug:
You know what? Speaking of which, it`s pretty astonishing that we`ve gotten nothing on the project yet! No new leaks, no concept art or information whatsoever.
Just like how it was for Raya & Encanto. They officially announced Raya at D23 in August of 2019. Then over the next 6 months, there was nothing. Dead silence. Now I know Covid hit in March 2020, but the prior 6 months, there was no new info regarding Raya.

Same with Encanto. They officially announced it at the Investor Meeting in December 2020. Over the next 5 months, nothing, dead silence. Then in June 2021, the leaks started to come in. It was pathetic that we got Maribel's revel via a cheap toy leak. Then cheap clip-art images. Disney completely avoided this, as did most fans. We had to wait til after July 4, to get the first 2 posters & the trailer.

And Strange World is following the exact same path. Officially announced in December 2021, and over the last 4 months, nothing, dead silence. I'm hoping some new info drops after Lightyear releases, but that's another 2 months away. By June, leaks should start to come out as they did with Encanto last year.

But who knows, maybe we'll get some new info at CinemaCon during Disney's panel tomorrow :-|
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

DisneyEra wrote:But who knows, maybe we'll get some new info at CinemaCon during Disney's panel tomorrow :-|
It could be. Brazilian Disney news Twitter account Almanaque Disney has posted the following:
Disney uploaded Strange World material to the platform for press today (no new information) and reactivated the film's Facebook page!

These moves only happen close to the teaser/poster release.
Source: https://twitter.com/almanaquedisney/sta ... 5663076353

The Disney panel is from 9:45 AM to 11:30 AM PDT. Fingers crossed they're right.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

If anyone's interested in following a liveblog of the Disney presentation, here are some links:

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/cinemac ... -liveblog/

https://comicbookmovie.com/doctor_stran ... re-a193428

https://twitter.com/rebeccaarubin

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis

https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty

https://twitter.com/screenrant

Edit: Finally, there wasn't anything about Strange World. What a shame. :(
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

30 minutes of footage from Lightyear were shown at CinemaCon. Here are some descriptions of it (spoiler alert):
Also notable? The film’s title card doesn’t drop until 10 minutes in.

The film premieres in theaters June 17 and has already made headlines for a same-sex storyline involving Aduba’s scientist character, Hawthorne, and her girlfriend. During the first act of “Lightyear,” IndieWire can confirm that Hawthorne proposes to her same-sex partner and the couple welcomes a son together. The two characters share a kiss at their 40th anniversary party, as time doesn’t pass for Buzz Lightyear while he is away in space.
Source: https://www.indiewire.com/2022/04/light ... 234720266/
The footage launched with Buzz’s spaceship taking a detour after detecting life forms on an uncharted planet and heading down to investigate. Buzz and two companions explore, come under attack and make a run for the ship, which ends up marooned without fuel. Fast-forward a year and after fixes for a test fight, Buzz launches. The ship veers off-course into deep space and returns four years later.

He feels responsible and keeps trying, losing four years each time, until higher-ups decide no more missions — they’re staying put. He disagrees. When they try to decommission his robot companion cat Socks, he steals a ship and is off … to we know where.

The clip Includes a shout-out to his iconic suit. “Respect the suit,” he tells a rookie, “It’s not just protecting the body, it’s protecting the universe.”
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/04/lightyear- ... 235010953/
The movie opens with Buzz — in his iconic spacesuit — along with his best friend and the commander of the mission, Alicia Hawthorne, played by Uzo Aduba, leading the investigation of a distant planet with a sign of life. But the mission goes wrong and they are stranded. With an escape plan in the works, Buzz launches in a Space Shuttle-like craft and inadvertently time travels — multiple times — seeing Alicia engaged then starting a family with another woman on their mission.

By the end of the first act, Buzz loses his friend. Taking command is General Cal Burnside, voiced by Isaiah Whitlock, Jr. Determined to complete his mission, Buzz returns to space. Later in the film, which will also have an IMAX release, he will be joined by new characters Izzy Hawthorne, Alicia’s granddaughter, voiced by Keke Palmer; Mo, voiced by Taika Waititi; and Darby, voiced by Dale Soules. Lightyear also features Buzz’s antagonist, Zurg, voiced by James Brolin. And the famous Space Ranger also gets a new compassion, Sox, a digital cat voiced by The Good Dinosaur helmer Peter Sohn.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235131216/
The film shows the prideful Buzz Lightyear in an exploratory mission gone horribly wrong as his ship, and dozens of Star Command crew members, are marooned on an alien planet crawling with hostile tentacled creatures.

With the help of his closest friend Alisha Hawthorne (Uzo Aduba), Buzz tests a new hyperdrive system to get his crew off the planet. But not only does that test fail, his hyperspeed experiment caused him to travel four years into the future. Which means that every time Buzz flies into space to try to get the hyperdrive to work, he sees Alisha and everyone on his crew get significantly older until he’s left fighting to complete the mission with Alisha’s granddaughter, Izzy.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/disney-cinemaco ... lightyear/
As for the nitty-gritty details of the footage, we follow Buzz and Izzy Hawthorne on a mission to the surface of an uncharted planet. When they come under sudden attack, Buzz sets off amid a huge action sequence to save the life of a rookie cadet who accompanied the pair. It certainly sounds as if the stubborn Buzz that we came to know and love throughout the "Toy Story" movies has been preserved here, as the astronaut action hero insists on overriding his ship's autopilot because he prefers to do things himself. This arrogance, of course, comes back to bite him during their attempted escape when a too-close encounter with a mountain in the way causes their ship to crash and the entire team to be marooned on the surface.

In a surprising development that evokes far more adult m ovies like "Interstellar" or "The Martian," they end up spending years attempting to return home. Buzz in particular tries (and repeatedly fails) to overcome his own shortcomings in order to enact test flights to once again regain hyperspace capabilities, repeating the process countless times as a classic Pixar montage sequence kicks in to document the arduous and, because of that sweet time-dilation effect, decades-long task. It seems clear that the main focus of "Lightyear" involves evoking classic sci-fi movies of years past — "Apollo 13," "2001," and who knows how many others — and distill those classics into something a little more tangible for kids to enjoy. The studio's usual brand of humor through fun supporting characters and sidekicks, like the robotic cat Sox, also remains intact, and it sure seems as if we've got another Pixar hit on our hands.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/826401/lighty ... acon-2022/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Special Look (basically another trailer):
https://youtu.be/0ir3Z8hLeHc
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:During the first act of “Lightyear,” IndieWire can confirm that Hawthorne proposes to her same-sex partner and the couple welcomes a son together.
How? Adoption? Surrogacy? Sperm donation? Child from previous relationship with a man? Pixie dust? :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

Doesn't matter. There are many families with same-sex parents, it's not up to random strangers to demand explanation.
Personally, I hope they don't answer that question. More children will be able to identify.
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It does matter in the context of the movie given how the grandaughter looks so much like her grandma, Buzz mistakes her for her. And since her grandparents are a same-sex couple, it raises the reasonable question of genetics. Also, we're not random strangers and that couple isn't real. We're the audience and those are characters someone made up. Not providing any explanation is lazy and convenient storytelling, in my opinion.
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

I wasn't talking about you/us when I said 'random strangers', that was an example of how this question wouldn't fly with real-life people.
Even with the physical similarities, I'd argue it doesn't matter how they got her. I'm sure people can fill in the blanks and if not, that's a great opportunity to learn more about LGBTQIA+-families.
We never found out what happened to Andy's (Toy Story) father. We don't know who birthed Sully, or Spot (Good Dinosaur), and don't get me started on Cars. I just don't see how it enhances the storytelling in any way.

I am a bit selfishly sad that seemingly the first real representation will be in a movie I have no interest in... but I'm a whiny b*tch :)
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

That poster is not the best. You have two characters smiling, but instead of they're eyes squinting a bit to match, they're wide eyed like they're scared. Its off putting. And why is buzz the only character not looking at the camera? Its like they want to match the type of poster you'd see in star wars, but don't want to fully commit.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Nandor wrote:We never found out what happened to Andy's (Toy Story) father.
Don't even get me started on that. :P I think the question of Andy's father being one of the biggest complaints about the Toy Story franchise and the source of so many theories, proves people care and they want filmmakers to provide answers to stuff like that.
Nandor wrote:I am a bit selfishly sad that seemingly the first real representation will be in a movie I have no interest in... but I'm a whiny b*tch :)
:lol: I have no real interest in this either, but maybe that's because I'm not a big sci-fi fan.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Divorce or death are the only possible reasons I can think of for what happened to Andy's father. And I can understand why, for the sake of the story being told, the filmmakers didn't think either was necessary to delve into. We also don't find out what Andy's mother does for a living, which would be a cause for them moving in the first movie. It's never mentioned or hinted at and that's okay.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:
Nandor wrote:I am a bit selfishly sad that seemingly the first real representation will be in a movie I have no interest in... but I'm a whiny b*tch :)
:lol: I have no real interest in this either, but maybe that's because I'm not a big sci-fi fan.
I have no interest either. I'm not really into sci-fi either, and Buzz Lightyear was never one of my favorites in the Toy Story series.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Buzz looks like a patriot!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Beyond Infinity: Buzz and the Journey to Lightyea is headed to Disney+ on June 10th:

Explore the evolution of Buzz Lightyear from toy to human in the making of Pixar’s Lightyear. Dive into the art of designing a new Buzz, and the challenges faced by the crew along the way.

New still:
https://twitter.com/Fandango/status/1529117969938145282
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Why are Pixar Bros so against romance? A love interest is not a lesser character when they're handled right. Also, it's not necessary to get defensive and justify the presence of an LGBT character, especially when the reasoning doesn't hold water. The same result would have been achieved narratively if Alisha had a family with a man or even if she were a guy who had settled down.
MacLane says Alisha's queerness has always been a key part of the character, and in addition to being a step forward for LGBTQ representation on-screen, it's also pivotal to the plot.

"I wanted Buzz to have a best friend, and my personal preference was that Buzz not have a romantic partner," MacLane explains. "There have been other movies where the hero partners up with a really cool side character, and that side character is diminished [by romance]. I wanted him to have a partner where you would know they didn't have a romantic relationship. So, in additional to being wonderful representation, Alisha's queerness was useful, narratively."
Source: https://ew.com/movies/lightyear-angus-m ... r-preview/