Lightyear

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Lightyear (Pixar Film)

Post by Farerb »

I don't know why all of this is directed at me when all I did was commenting about the unoriginality - meaning: sequels, remakes, franchises. I don't remember complaining about an original movie before its release (only mentioning some things I like or dislike about info) or comparing Disney and Pixar to foreign animation studios. I didn't even complain about that bean mouth or whatever that is, so it's really baffling that suddenly all of you decided to jump on me when I'm not even the most negative person in these forums.

I'm sure Disney's and Pixar's originals could be great, they certainly have the potential, but forgive me for not being excited about Moana 2 split into 6 parts without the involvement of M&C or another movie in a franchise that was done and ended beautifully and now it's really just about... Well you know.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I don't think it's just directed at you, farerb. I understand Jules and estefan are tired of people complaining about things before seeing the end product. I've felt that way sometimes too, like with Onward, for example. And to a certain extent I agree with what you both said, but this is a place to discuss films and everything related to them and I honestly think there's nothing wrong with people expressing their thoughts about them freely. I've never liked limiting people's free speech as long as they're not insulting anyone or something like that.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I guess the way I see it is everyone has the power to post what they want (that applies almost anywhere on the Internet really). Nobody is going to stop someone from posting something positive if that's what you want to do and likewise nobody's going to change their opinions to suit you either. Why should they? For example, I think it's false to say you shouldn't form judgments or opinions off of tidbits and teasers--they are explicitly designed to create an impression in the viewer, which is why Disney releases them in the first place. One other thought: it's important to remember that being "nice" isn't the same as being right or good. I could imagine some people lecturing us to celebrate in the event Darth Vader took over Bob Iger's role, telling us we should give them a chance and not to assume so much before anything's even happened. Or if Disney abandoned animation altogether, that would actually be the greatest development of all time and how dare we not dance along. :lol:

TBH, I think this board's been more positive than it's been in years. But maybe because I'm fairly positive about what's happening at Disney (and even PIXAR) lately, it probably colors my perception. :shrug:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

rodrigo_ca wrote:In my mind, including the other characters is impossible, because as I see it, this is a human Buzz Lightyear that does some heroic doing and gets famous, prompting someone to make a TV series based on him and then, toys of that TV series which resulted in the Buzz we already know.
Yes, that how it's going to be, but they can still include references to other characters indirectly. For example, they can show us that Zurg was inspired by a father figure of the real Buzz or a tough trainer or a rival. Stuff like that. I'm sure we'll learn how the slogan "To Infinity and Beyond" came about too.
farerb wrote:I never thought that a day would come where I'd feel put off by Disney, but I guess yesterday was that day. Disney just doesn't feel innovative and artistic to me anymore (Pixar included). It's really depressing to say it but that's how I feel.
I understand how you feel. The investors presentation felt more cash-grabby than usual. Personally, I'm more used to Pixar or the live-action division selling out like that, so it took me aback by the extent WDAS was mining its catalog for franchise content. It definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.
D82 wrote:This is a place to discuss films and everything related to them and I honestly think there's nothing wrong with people expressing their thoughts about them freely. I've never liked limiting people's free speech as long as they're not insulting anyone or something like that.
Well said. :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Will this be a"realistic " Science fiction movie like Contact an Instealler or one with alien and leaser guns like Star Wars , Flash Gordon and Jupiter Ascending ?

I would prefer something along the lines of Guardians of the Galaxy with lots of different types of aliens , other worlds fanatical creatures :D
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
Sotiris wrote: I agree. It reeks of desperation and greed. I'm surprised they haven't announced a Frozone spin-off yet considering the fan demand and the increased focus on diversity.
Agreed with both of you. Not that I'm not looking forward to it, but really? :| After that garbage ending to the fourth one, they should put the series to rest. And though Evans will be great and I get that it's a human version of the REAL Lightyear, Tim Allen IS Buzz Lightyear. Again, a slap on the face to another Disney veteran. I get he's a Trumper and I HATE Trump, but it's still not right to replace someone over their views.

The Incredibles or a grown-Boo is what I REALLY want.
Did you not see The Incredibles 2?

I was anticipating that for so long and Bird basically did everything opposite of the first movie.

The original still stands out to this day and is even more relevant due to the deluge of Marvel movies, but the sequel is basically a bad Marvel movie.

I'm not sure if the same criticisms can be levelled at Bird as Stanton, but I'd rather they had directors who really wanted to take the property in a new direction or greater heights than those who failed their live action transition and came scampering back. John Carter and Tomorrowland were pretty bland non-events.

Ironically, after my initial skepticism of yet another Toy Story after the perfection of the 3rd, Toy Story 4 was actually pretty good - better certainly than both Dory and TI2. Another one that proved me wrong was Cars 3 after the turd that was Cars 2.

The Cars franchise will never be in the higher echelons but both the original and the 3rd are pretty solid movies telling a common story but doing it well. Cars 2 is an abomination though.

Now, it's not as though originals will always be better than sequels given Pixar's track record these days, but at least it's a new property without any strings. After all Brave (which may have been better with Brenda Chapman), Good Dinosaur (may have been better with Peterson) and Onward were a far cry from the original originals.

Their slate has started to look more promising again honestly. I guess that's because they've exhausted all their sequel options.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Chris Evans wrote:I don’t even have the words. And just to be clear, this isn’t Buzz Lightyear the toy. This is the origin story of the human Buzz Lightyear that the toy is based on.
Source: https://twitter.com/ChrisEvans/status/1 ... 7641629696
Chris Evans wrote:Working with Pixar is a dream come true. I’ve been a massive fan of their films since the very beginning. My team could barely contain their excitement when they told me that Pixar had a pitch for me. All they said was ‘Buzz Lightyear’. I didn’t know what that meant, since Tim Allen is Buzz Lightyear, and no one could ever touch his performance. I needed to know how this character was different and why this story was worth telling. I can say 2 things with absolute confidence:

1. I didn’t stop smiling through the ENTIRE pitch. Ear to ear.
2. Everyone can rest easy. And get very excited.

Trust me when I say that they REALLY know what they’re doing over there. This one is gonna special, and it doesn’t step on a single thing. I can’t even put my excitement into words. I smile every time I think about it.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIo1kCVlq4j/
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Lightyear was the last film to be greenlit before Pete Docter became CCO of Pixar
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... of-scandal
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

rodrigo_ca wrote:Lightyear was the last film to be greenlit before Pete Docter became CCO of Pixar.
That's not entirely accurate. What was mentioned in the article was that Luca, Turning Red, and Lightyear were all greenlit by Lasseter and that the ones Pete greenlit have yet to be announced. That doesn't necessarily mean there aren't more films greenlit by the previous regime in development that we don't know about yet.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Even if this Buzz Lightyear is supposed to be made of flesh and bone, and the version from Toy Story is just a toy, the latter is actually more real than the former.
The original Buzz only exist in a fictional world. But he is a toy based on a TV-show, which is a fictional world inside a fictional world.
(And maybe someone has already mentioned it, but this is also the first spin-off feature from Pixar (I consider Finding Dory more like a sequel))
Sotiris wrote:
rodrigo_ca wrote:Lightyear was the last film to be greenlit before Pete Docter became CCO of Pixar.
That's not entirely accurate. What was mentioned in the article was that Luca, Turning Red, and Lightyear were all greenlit by Lasseter and that the ones Pete greenlit have yet to be announced. That doesn't necessarily mean there aren't more films greenlit by the previous regime in development that we don't know about yet.
That says something about how long the development of the movies are. Lasseter left before the release of Coco in 2017. With Lightyear, seven movies and almost five years later in 2022, Pixar have still not completely left the Lasseter era, even if he is no longer around to influence the making of the movies at the meetings.
And as usual, the article make the mistake of making Steve Jobs as one of the founders of Pixar and to not mention Alvy Ray Smith.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

this is such a bizarre premise for a spin off...I cant even make an opinion about it yet b/c I cant wrap my head around how its going to work. I mean, will it just be a straight non-fantasy film about an astronaut? Will there be any fantasy elements in it at all? Remember the toy world is basically non existent to humans, kinda like how the magic world is to "muggles" in Harry Potter.

okay, after rereading the synopsis it seems there will be fantasy elements but more in the vain of sci fi, looks like in the human world of Toy Story films, space exploration is very different and far more advanced than it is in our real world? Its just weird b/c when you see the human's world in the film it looks very ordinary, basically a CGI animated version of our own, except that in the TS world, toys are alive. :milkbuds:
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Yeah, in that sense I wish this wasn't meant to be the "real guy" unless they essentially made him Buzz Aldrin. Since they are seemingly not doing that, I'd rather this just be the equivelent to iron man in the toy story universe. Everyone knows its not real, but good entertainment anyway with its own toy line.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It seems to me it will be a realistic sci-fi film like Apollo 13 or Gravity. The human world in Toy Story is just like our own with toys coming to life as the sole difference. There's never been any indication of other supernatural or fantastical phenomena occuring nor has it been depicted as more technologically advanced than our world. It would be really jarring and incongruous to introduce other fantastical elements to that world after four movies and several shorts. The only fantasy element that can be reasonably included is toys coming to life. Maybe the real Buzz witnessed his toys coming to life when he was a child or had a toy that broke the code and revealed itself to him. Maybe he brought his favorite toy with him at the training academy/space station and we'll get scenes from the toy's perspective.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

If this is meant to take place in the "real" world, that could be a first for Pixar where there are no impossible elements.

There are several Pixar films that takes place in the human world as we know it. But so far there has always been something extra behind the curtain.

In the Toy Story movies, toys are alive when humans can't see them.

(Are there any signs of humans in Bug's Life? I don't remember. I have only seen the movie once, years ago.)

In Monsters Inc. and the sequel, the human world is not aware of the monsters. At least not the adults.

In Finding Nemo and Dory, as well as Ratatouille, there are talking animals, but humans consider them to be just animals like they do on the real world.

A little unsure about Up. We have dogs flying planes there, but seeing how shocked Carl and Russel were when they encountered a talking dog, dogs in the rest of the world probably behave like dogs are expected to behave.

Inside Out. A human world where some children have a very rich inner world where emotions are real persons.

In Coco and Soul the land of the living is just like our own world.

In Luca the human world seems to be unaware that there are "monsters" living amongst them.

Unless Lightyear encounter some aliens, time travellers or robots or something, but decide not to tell the rest of the world, which would add two impossible elements (living toys and whatever Lightyear confronts), not just one. So it seems unlikely. It would either have to be something related to the living toys, or it will just be a movie that could possibly have made as live action (or it could be a movie version of the TV-show and not the real character).
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:(Are there any signs of humans in Bug's Life? I don't remember. I have only seen the movie once, years ago.)
Theres the bug zapper scene, with an RV or something I think. We never see the humans, but there are plenty of signs of them around.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

I must admit I don't remember those scenes, but it seems like it is another Pixar film where the human world is unaware of the other world around them, in this case talking bugs (weirdly enough, the birds in this movie are still like the birds in the real world).
Of course, there is the "Pixar theory", that says all the movies takes place in the same universe, but I personally doubt that.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

“A film unlike any we’ve ever done before,” Jonas Rivera teased about the next upcoming project, a sci-fi adventure film, Lightyear. “You know his name, now discover his story.” He explained that back when they made the first Toy Story, they imagined that Buzz Lightyear was a toy based on a big blockbuster film, that could’ve been Andy’s new favorite movie. “Lightyear is the definitive story of the original Buzz Lightyear.” Chris Evans will voice the title character in the film, which is due out in Summer 2022. “We can’t wait to take audiences, I’m gonna say it, to infinity and beyond.”
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... at-annecy/
Disney's Divinity

This may be a minority opinion--but who cares, I'm used to that :lol: --but if they're doing this, I hope it has a "serious" feeling to it, doesn't include Zurg, and is nothing like the TV series of yore that I always hated.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It'll be as serious as any Pixar film. It's not going to be a straight up sci-fi movie. Don't go expecting The Martian. :lol: There's definitely going to be jokes and gags and comic relief like usual.
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: Don't go expecting The Martian. :lol:
:lol: Oh, no. I meant something sort of more "serious" the way The Incredibles and WALL E feel a bit more serious than other PIXAR films. Those films still had occasional humor.