Lightyear

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Lightyear

Post by D82 »

Farerb wrote:Beyond Infinity: Buzz and the Journey to Lightyear is headed to Disney+ on June 10th
It's interesting they're releasing the making-of documentary before the movie this time.
Sotiris wrote:Why are Pixar Bros so against romance? A love interest is not a lesser character when they're handled right. Also, it's not necessary to get defensive and justify the presence of an LGBT character, especially when the reasoning doesn't hold water. The same result would have been achieved narratively if Alisha had a family with a man or even if she were a guy who had settled down.
I think they probably decided to give Buzz a female friend to differentiate it from Toy Story, where his best friend is male. Also, though this isn't the same Buzz as the one from Toy Story, I think it would be a bit weird for the audience if he had a love interest here when the original Buzz is already in a relationship with Jessie. Maybe they took that into consideration as well if they ever contemplated the idea of a romance. I personally think giving Buzz a female LGBT friend is a great idea. Yes, it's another friendship relationship in a Pixar movie, but at least it's different and groundbreaking for a mainstream animated film.

By the way, that latest domestic poster reminds me of this other one for Toy Story 3. Could the resemblance be intentional?

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Early reviews for the film have been released, most are positive as always, but reading the more genuine reviews make me believe that the movie is just okay. The highlights of the movie, according to most of the reviews, are Sox and the score by Michael Giacchino.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

After reading the reactions, I think Lightyear is probably similar to Finding Dory, quite good for a sequel/spin off, but not as good a Pixar's best original films. As for Sox, I'm surprised he's getting so much love. Many people said he steals the show, one critic compared it to Olaf and another said it was their favorite Pixar character to date. He doesn't stand out much to me in the trailers, but I guess he's better in the actual movie.

By the way, the making-of documentary about the film is already on Disney+. Here are the poster and trailer.

Source: https://twitter.com/PixarsLightyear/sta ... 2908099586

I like the poster and found the documentary itself quite interesting, especially the beginning about the creation of the original Buzz and his popularity, but also the rest. I was a bit surprised they showed and talked about Lasseter several times since he hasn't been featured or mentioned in anything the company has done in a long time, but I guess it makes sense since he's very responsible for the creation of the Toy Story world and its characters.
Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:During the first act of “Lightyear,” IndieWire can confirm that Hawthorne proposes to her same-sex partner and the couple welcomes a son together.
How? Adoption? Surrogacy? Sperm donation? Child from previous relationship with a man? Pixie dust? :P
In the documentary there's a shot of Alisha being pregnant, so at least we know she's her child's biological mother.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I think they probably decided to give Buzz a female friend to differentiate it from Toy Story, where his best friend is male. Also, though this isn't the same Buzz as the one from Toy Story, I think it would be a bit weird for the audience if he had a love interest here when the original Buzz is already in a relationship with Jessie. Maybe they took that into consideration as well if they ever contemplated the idea of a romance.
I can see how him having a love interest here might be weird for audiences, but I think it would have been better if his best friend was male. It would not only draw parallels to his relationship with Woody in Toy Story, but it would have worked better for the message Buzz is supposed to learn. It would have been easier for Buzz to project himself onto a male friend's different life path and identify with that in order to realize what he's missing out on. The sliding doors aspect of it would have been more apparent and pronounced. Honestly, I highly doubt there was any other reasoning or consideration behind the decision to make his best friend a Black lesbian outside of diversity/representation.
D82 wrote:By the way, that latest domestic poster reminds me of this other one for Toy Story 3. Could the resemblance be intentional?
It looks coincidental to me. I think it's just a common layout format for posters. I believe the posters for Incredibles/Incredibles II had a similar composition.
D82 wrote:In the documentary there's a shot of Alisha being pregnant, so at least we know she's her child's biological mother.
I'm glad there's somewhat of an answer to this question and the resemblance between Alisha and her granddaughter makes sense.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Why wasn't Sox in Toy Story? Director Angus MacLane & Composer Michael Giacchino explain during the Lightyear press conference:

Andy's mom couldn't get it. It was sold out. It's an expensive toy. Like a $70 toy. It's like the AT-AT, not everyone could get it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I wish they would stop with this nonsense. :roll: It's clear there was never any master plan and the filmmaking team didn't bother to make this film actually fit in the Toy Story universe.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This whole thing looks so boring. I cannot get myself to be even remotely excited about this. Especially the obligatory cute cat irks me.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Farerb wrote:Why wasn't Sox in Toy Story? Director Angus MacLane & Composer Michael Giacchino explain during the Lightyear press conference:

Andy's mom couldn't get it. It was sold out. It's an expensive toy. Like a $70 toy. It's like the AT-AT, not everyone could get it.
Also, most children don't normally get every single toy related to whatever they're a huge fan of. I was obsessed with The Lion King as a child, but the only characters I specifically had toys of were plushies of Timon and Pumbaa and a few McDonald's Happy Meal toys.

Also, in Toy Story 2, Zurg is already in the discount section, unlike the massive aisle occupied by Buzz. Buzz probably far outsold the other characters in the movie.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Just saw the documentary about the movie. There was one important plot point I wasn't aware of that has not been mentioned in any trailer yet, so I'll consider it a spoiler for the moment:

It's about time dilation and the principle of relativity. The faster you travel, the slower the time goes for you compared to those who stays behind. So every time Buzz goes on a mission and then returns, he has the same age as when he left, but all his friends are getting older and older.
This is probably supposed to be an important message about things that matters in life, to live more in the present and don't watch those around you move on while you are still on the same spot, and so on.
And he his burdened with guilt because they are stranded on the planet. The whole thing sounds a litte depressing to be honest. In the documentary they say it was partly inspired by covid and the isolation, and how time was flying when you were working on an animation project.

The various visits on other planets still looks cool, but I had hoped that we would see a Pixar movie that was just fun and entertaining, without all the soul searching and meaning of life things.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

An article listing the more negative reviews of Lightyear:

‘Lightyear' Getting Mixed Reactions
https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/6 ... format=amp
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I scored a free preview of this thanks to D23, and will be seeing it on Monday. I'll try to share my thoughts after I see it, but tbh, this is probably the only way I'd see it in theaters. It's not looking especially great.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I think it could be. I was initially luke warm on the whole thing, and maybe I still am, but that's because its hard for me to transition from the legacy character we know to this more human version voiced by another person. I had the same reaction to the animated series.

But if I stop thinking of it as a toy story spin off and more like its own thing, it looks like it could have potential to be great. The doc on D+ tells us they kind of got the idea for the movie from Pixar's studios, the concept of time passing differently as you're working on a movie for 4 years you get so focused on making the movies that when its all over and you get to "poke you're head out" as they say, you realized how much has changed since you went went in. the psychological impact that must have on a person can be interesting to explore in a scifi setting.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Didn't Joe Haldeman explore that topic in The Forever War? I have the book, but haven't read it yet.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I can see how him having a love interest here might be weird for audiences, but I think it would have been better if his best friend was male. It would not only draw parallels to his relationship with Woody in Toy Story, but it would have worked better for the message Buzz is supposed to learn. It would have been easier for Buzz to project himself onto a male friend's different life path and identify with that in order to realize what he's missing out on. The sliding doors aspect of it would have been more apparent and pronounced.
I see your point, but I think it still works with a female friend and personally I prefer it's not too similar to his relationship with Woody in Toy Story.
Sotiris wrote:Honestly, I highly doubt there was any other reasoning or consideration behind the decision to make his best friend a Black lesbian outside of diversity/representation.
Well, that's very possible too, but to me it looks like an organic case of diversity/representation and not one forced into the story. The only reason why it wouldn't make sense is if they had really tried to replicate a '90s blockbuster, as you once said, but I doubt they ever really tried to achieve that anyway.
Sotiris wrote:It looks coincidental to me. I think it's just a common layout format for posters. I believe the posters for Incredibles/Incredibles II had a similar composition.
That's true. Also, come to think of it, it's not like that Toy Story 3 poster was a very iconic one or anything, so I guess there wasn't any reason to pay homage to it.
estefan wrote:Also, most children don't normally get every single toy related to whatever they're a huge fan of.
Exactly, I don't know why they even felt they needed to explain that.
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Just saw the documentary about the movie. There was one important plot point I wasn't aware of that has not been mentioned in any trailer yet, so I'll consider it a spoiler for the moment:

It's about time dilation and the principle of relativity. The faster you travel, the slower the time goes for you compared to those who stays behind. So every time Buzz goes on a mission and then returns, he has the same age as when he left, but all his friends are getting older and older.
This is probably supposed to be an important message about things that matters in life, to live more in the present and don't watch those around you move on while you are still on the same spot, and so on.
And he his burdened with guilt because they are stranded on the planet. The whole thing sounds a litte depressing to be honest. In the documentary they say it was partly inspired by covid and the isolation, and how time was flying when you were working on an animation project.

The various visits on other planets still looks cool, but I had hoped that we would see a Pixar movie that was just fun and entertaining, without all the soul searching and meaning of life things.
Pixar doesn't know how to make a movie without making you cry. :P But judging by the early reactions, I think it'll still be fun and most of the deep/sad moments will take place at the beginning of the movie. I knew most of these details about the story, but I didn't know it was time dilation was caused him not to age at the same rate as the rest (I hope they explain that concept better in the movie because I didn't totally understand it in the documentary), nor that it was partly inspired by Covid and their experiences working on animated films.
Kyle wrote:I was initially luke warm on the whole thing, and maybe I still am, but that's because its hard for me to transition from the legacy character we know to this more human version voiced by another person. I had the same reaction to the animated series.
I understand that. I'm actually surprised I'm not feeling the same way, but maybe I will when I see the actual film. Perhaps it's because I'm not that big of a Buzz fan. I like him very much, but not like Woody. If they made a similar movie about him, I would probably feel like you do about this one.
Kyle wrote:The doc on D+ tells us they kind of got the idea for the movie from Pixar's studios, the concept of time passing differently as you're working on a movie for 4 years you get so focused on making the movies that when its all over and you get to "poke you're head out" as they say, you realized how much has changed since you went went in. the psychological impact that must have on a person can be interesting to explore in a scifi setting.
I also think it can be interesting. By the way, I didn't expect this film would be inspired by a personal story too, like Onward, Luca or Turning Red.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb wrote:An article listing the more negative reviews of Lightyear.
I knew it never had a chance of winning the Oscar for Best Animated Feature on concept alone, but now I'm doubting if it will even be nominated.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote:I knew it never had a chance of winning the Oscar for Best Animated Feature on concept alone, but now I'm doubting if it will even be nominated.
I'm pretty sure Pinocchio will win this year, mainly because of the lackluster offerings from both Disney and Pixar. Turning Red will easily be overlooked because of its March streaming release. I'm pretty sure that all three will be nominated though since I haven't seen anything else from other studios (The Bad Guys didn't make any buzz and Spider-Man is postponed).

Right now my predictions are:
Pinocchio (winner)
Turning Red
Lightyear
Strange World
My Father's Dragon
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That's a good prediction. I agree that Turning Red being both a March and a streaming release will hurt its chances. There are basically only six real contenders this year: Turning Red, Lightyear, Strange World, Pinocchio, Wendell & Wild, and My Father's Dragon. Unless another movie unexpectedly gets great reviews and buzz, I doubt that will change during Oscar season.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

I'm in the camp that says the concept behind this movie doesn't work the way they're trying to promote it. Between the polished look of the movie, muted colors/cinematography, and diversity in characters, there's no way a sci-fi movie like this would have been made in the early 1990s, let alone the '80s. It's probably not that big of a deal for most people, but things like that take me out of the movie.

The only way it'd make sense is if this were a modern reboot of a movie Andy saw as a kid and Andy's taking his own kid to see it. Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't go for that if they didn't invest time and effort into making it look and feel like a true "old school" sci-fi. It would also open up the opportunity for a future Toy Story movie (you know it's coming), where old Buzz would be introduced to the modern Buzz toy, and explore/face his own obsolescence. Kind of like old, simple Transformers or Masters of the Universe figures compared to modern, more elaborate ones.