Mufasa: The Lion King (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Mufasa: The Lion King (Live-Action)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

‘The Lion King’ Sequel Set With ‘Moonlight’ Director Barry Jenkins To Helm For Walt Disney Studios
https://deadline.com/2020/09/the-lion-k ... 234586787/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: The Lion King Sequel (CGI/"Live Action")

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Well, the first one did make so much money...

“Explore the mythology of the characters, including Mufasa’s origin story,” the article compares it to The Godfather Part II. Maybe they will delve into Shakespeare again? Perhaps you could graft a Disney-fied King Lear onto Mufasa and Scar’s backstory? I wonder who they will cast to play a young Mufasa.

The article also mentions “a continuation of the tradition of music that was a key part of the 1994 animated classic” which I’m not sure means it will be a musical or not? Would they bring back Elton John? Or would they ask a black artist? Within the cast, certainly Donald Glover and Beyoncé are talented musicians, but at least in Beyoncé’s case I don’t think she writes most of her own music.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

There are stories that lend themselves to Deep Lore and expanding on the minutia of the universe.
There are stories that benefit from worldbuilding and depth.
The Lion King is not one of them. Beauty and the Beast is not one of them.

I would like more movies made because someone wanted to tell a story and less movies made because the corporation needs to get that money in time for quarterly stock review.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

We don't need this :|
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

I... I.... why?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This was a lock to happen because the first made so much money, just like Aladdin and TJB. The same would've happened for Mulan if the Coronavirus hadn't screwed it (which is fine with me). The ending isn’t as “closed” as with fairy tales like B&tB and TLM, imo, which is why Disney likely decided against a sequel to B&tB 2017 ultimately. I hope they do something somewhat like Simba’s Pride. That was one of the better DTV sequels, although it had its flaws. I always liked Kovu and his character arc anyway.

Hopefully they invite Elton John and Tim Rice back, although I’m fine with Beyonce writing one or two songs for the Nala character or to play in the background of a scene like “Spirit.”
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

If I were Elton I wouldn't want any part of this.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Kyle wrote:If I were Elton I wouldn't want any part of this.
I don't think he'd want to be a part of it, nor Rice and Zimmer. They'll probably give it to Beyoncé and her team.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

So, this isn't going to be based on The Lion King II: Simba's Pride? Big mistake, if that's the case. People want something that's familiar to them and the animated sequel is actually pretty beloved by audiences and generally considered one of the best DTV sequels. People won't easily accept a brand-new story. These remakes are successful only because they capitalize on nostalgia. It's possible audiences will reject this if it's something radically different from what they know, like they did Mulan.

I don't like the back-and-forth structure of the sequel. If they want to tell the origin story of Mufasa and Scar, they should do an outright prequel.

Whether this sequel is or isn't a musical, I don't expect Disney to invite Elton John and Tim Rice back. If they are asked, they will have no problem to return as The Lion King property means so much to both of them, but I highly doubt they will be. Disney barely made any use of them on the first one. They were essentially locked out of the filmmaking process. They were allowed to write only two new songs, one of which was cut and the other relegated to the end credits and they weren't allowed to work on the new arrangements and recordings of the old songs. I was hoping that after Beyonce's song was snubbed at the Oscars, Disney would come to appreciate talented and experienced songwriters, but I doubt they learned the right lesson from that experience. I do expect, however, Hans Zimmer to be asked to score the sequel.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Re: The Lion King 2 (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

While Deadline and Variety say that the sequel will partially focus on Mufasa's origins, The Hollywood Reported solely refers to it as a prequel.
Sources say the new movie will partly focus on the early years of Mufasa.
Source: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/lion ... 234786355/
The Oscar-winning Moonlight filmmaker will helm a prequel to Disney's 2019 hit. Lion King scribe Jeff Nathanson has penned a draft of the prequel.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ry-jenkins
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

With this announcement, I realised how many Lion King timelines exist and all of the different canons. There are probably those who see the 1994 movie as its own thing. Then there are those who count the direct-to-video sequels as canon. The "Timon & Pumbaa" series exists in its own timeline, as does the "Lion Guard" series. You also have the Broadway musical. And now the photoreal Lion King is becoming its own franchise with its own backstory and history of the characters.

Who ever expected "The Lion King" to branch off with multiple alternate universes?
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

A prequel to TLK is just... Really dumb. It makes more sense to follow Simba's offspring and how Simba leads the Pride in Mufasa's place than to go backwards in time. As I said, it's not like I wanted it to be exactly like Simba's Pride or anything, just the general idea of following the next in line.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, now that this news is announced: I don`t mind that Disney is doing a "live action" property that will center around Mufasa. But if he`s the protagonist, this project shouldn`t be called a sequel. Perhaps Mufasa`s plotline will be a minor part of a bigger story. But sure, if there should`ve been an actual continuation to the live action version of TLK, it should`ve been Simba’s Pride, regardless.
Disney's Divinity wrote: I hope they do something somewhat like Simba’s Pride. That was one of the better DTV sequels, although it had its flaws. I always liked Kovu and his character arc anyway.
While I do have a soft spot for Simba’s Pride, I thought that Kovu`s arc was one of the weak links of the movie. In my opinion, Kovu`s arc and execution is too straight-forward to be interesting. Sure, there`s a turmoil and an inner struggle within him. But at the end, his arc and development is too conventional for me. As was his characterization. I`ve always felt that Zira was far more interesting, as she does display some genuine dimension and depth. But at the end, she`s only reduced to being a straight-forward villain. Despite that I like Simba’s Pride, I`ve always thought that the arc of the characters were poorly executed (especially Kiara`s).
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

at first I was like a prequel? why? a prequel means no characters like Pumba,Timon, Simba, Nala... you know, the characters most fans want to see, why would they think anyone wants this? Then I thought, maybe they're doing a prequel to introduce Zira? Scar would still be in it but they'd also show how he met Zira, and then at the end we find out why she was missing from Simba's Pride? And then the third live action film will actually be Simba's Pride. :milkbuds:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Personally, I'm glad it's not a remake of Simba's Pride. That would make the DTV sequels seem more canon and I don't like that. Plus, I prefer to see something new.
farerb wrote:I would like more movies made because someone wanted to tell a story and less movies made because the corporation needs to get that money in time for quarterly stock review.
Me too. That said, the idea of exploring Mufasa's origins sounds kind of interesting. Though, based on previous sequels to remakes, I don't expect much from this. They've also chosen a good director, but as we've seen with previous remakes, that doesn't guarantee the movie will be good either.
UmbrellaFish wrote:The article also mentions “a continuation of the tradition of music that was a key part of the 1994 animated classic” which I’m not sure means it will be a musical or not? Would they bring back Elton John? Or would they ask a black artist? Within the cast, certainly Donald Glover and Beyoncé are talented musicians, but at least in Beyoncé’s case I don’t think she writes most of her own music.
To me, that line from the article sounds like they're not bringing Elton John back. Maybe they want a black artist, as you say, given that, judging by the director they've chosen, this time they're not only hiring black talent for the voice cast but behind the camera as well. I don't mind if Beyoncé has a song or two, but I hope not all the songs are by her and her team.
Disney's Divinity

The thing is, they could probably show anything the prequel might tell at the same time as telling the present day story. Begin the film with a prologue of Scar and Mufasa in their younger days to show Zira’s relationship to Scar, cut to the present with Zira on the outskirts with Kovu. (Assuming they even kept the same names--I wouldn't mind if their names were changed.) Maybe even have Zira team up with Shenzi—who was more threatening in the re-make than the original. If they needed multiple scenes to get Scar’s relationship to Zira across, they could cut back to a flashback after a scene when Simba’s talking to his father / the stars about what he should do in regards to current plot.

And if they simply wanted to show how Scar got his scar, they could do the same. Since Simba's Pride had a story about ending division between two sides, so they could easily flashback to those moments of violence between Mufasa and Scar to show how the past is still infecting what's going on in the present--which is why it needs a proper resolution than simply more in-fighting. Again, referring to the use of Simba's Pride plot in vague ways, rather than an exact copy.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Why Barry Jenkins Decided to Direct a ‘Lion King’ Prequel
https://www.slashfilm.com/why-barry-jen ... g-prequel/
“Lion King was the Baby Shark of my time,” Jenkins said. “I’d seen it literally hundreds of times and I had this connection to it, and yet I was skeptical because, who am I to make a Lion King movie? Not a Lion King sequel! A Lion King movie.”

“I read the script and about 40 pages in, I turned to Lulu [Wang] and I said, ‘Holy shit, this is good.’ And as I kept reading, I got further away from the side of my brain that said, ‘Oh, a filmmaker like you doesn’t make a film like this,’ and allowed myself to get to the place where these characters, this story, is amazing. What really pushed me across the line was James [Laxton], my DP, said, ‘You know what? There’s something really interesting in this mode of filmmaking that we haven’t done and that not many people have done.’ That was when I went back to the powers that be and said, ‘I would love to do this, but I’ve got to be able to do what I do.’ And they said yes!…And knowing that Chloe Zhao had gone from one of the most beautiful films of the century with The Rider to making a Marvel movie, I was like, ‘Oh, shit. If she can do it, I can do it.’”
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

As expected, Elton John and Tim Rice are not involved with the prequel.
The Lion King live-action prequel is in development with an inspired take that revisits the iconic characters. Barry Jenkins, director of the Oscar®-winning “Moonlight,” is set to helm the film. Hans Zimmer (whose long association with “The Lion King” goes back to the 1994 original), Pharrell Williams and Nicholas Britell will deliver the music.
Source: https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/docum ... bccd9a.pdf
Disney's Divinity

Not Pharrell Williams. :huh: Sweetener is still my least favorite Ariana Grande album because of his involvement; the singles are the only songs I like from that one. I guess this will be a dud of a soundtrack for sure. Why didn't they turn to Beyonce?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

‘The Lion King’ Sequel To Begin Production This September
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/02/24/th ... is-summer/

‘Moonlight’ Cinematographer Reteaming With Barry Jenkins on Disney’s ‘The Lion King’ Prequel
https://thedisinsider.com/2020/12/15/mo ... g-prequel/