The Little Matchgirl

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

The Little Matchgirl

Post by ichabod »

http://www.vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=31 ... es&id=2894

Click on the image for a quicktime clip
Walt Disney Pictures’ latest animated short, The Little Matchgirl, based on Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Little Girl with Matchsticks,” marks the end of an era. It’s the last of the shorts highlighting international music spawned by Fantasia/2000, preceded by two Oscar nominees, Destino and Lorenzo, as well as One-By-One. It’s also the last of the works to utilize the Computer Animation Production System (CAPS), the first digital ink-and-paint, compositing and rendering program for traditionally animated projects, developed by The Walt Disney Co. and Pixar. Fittingly, the first use of CAPS was on an earlier Andersen adaptation, The Little Mermaid, the feature that sparked the previous renaissance at Disney.
More info at <a href="http://www.vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=31 ... FXWorld</a>

It looks beautiful!
Aladdin from Agrabah
Special Edition

Post by Aladdin from Agrabah »

YAYYYYYY!!!! 2-D Animation isn't dead yet!!!!
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Aladdin from Agrabah wrote:YAYYYYYY!!!! 2-D Animation isn't dead yet!!!!
to be fair, this was made before everyone was fired
jebsdad
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jebsdad »

What excites me the most about this is the information that states that Little Match Girl will be included as an extra on the Little Mermaid DVD. I hadn't come across that info before. I look forward to seeing and owning the short.
Kenai
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kenai »

Wow that's tight! :)

I was always hoping that Disney would animated this tale. It would've made a beautiful movie rather than a short.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Kenai wrote:Wow that's tight! :)

I was always hoping that Disney would animated this tale. It would've made a beautiful movie rather than a short.
the story is way too short and simple for a feature length...
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

PatrickvD wrote:the story is way too short and simple for a feature length...
Cinderella, Snow White and Beauty and the Beast (to an extent) could be told in half an hour, yet look how those turned out... :wink:
I'm excited to see the short! Sound interesting enough...
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I can't wait for the short to be on the PE of TLM! It looks really good. How come there wasn't any sound? Anyway, I'm super excited, and can hardly wait, maybe Disney could have put that on a 3rd Fantasia movie. The quality was excellent! I can't wait!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

What lovely animation... :)

I love the story "The Little Girl with Matchsticks" or "Den lille pige med svovlstikkerne" which is the original danish title...
Aladdin from Agrabah
Special Edition

PatrickvD wrote:to be fair, this was made before everyone was fired
Oh? And how come we haven't heared anything about it? Was it planned to be in a 3rd Fantasia that was finally cancelled or something?

By the way, 271286, you have to be proud that you come from a country which is Hans Christian Andersen's birthplace. He's my favourite, I grew up with his stories as many generations before me. This, The Little Mermaid, Thumbelina and The Ugly Duckling are just some of my favourites.
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

Aladdin from Agrabah wrote: By the way, 271286, you have to be proud that you come from a country which is Hans Christian Andersen's birthplace. He's my favourite, I grew up with his stories as many generations before me. This, The Little Mermaid, Thumbelina and The Ugly Duckling are just some of my favourites.
Yeah I am. The popularity of HCA is good for an as little country as Denmark :)

I love The Little Mermaid, The ugly Duckling and many of HCA's tales as well, and I think it's really cool that Disney has adapted some of them...
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Aladdin from Agrabah wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:to be fair, this was made before everyone was fired
Oh? And how come we haven't heared anything about it? Was it planned to be in a 3rd Fantasia that was finally cancelled or something?
yes, it was supposed to be in that film, along with Lorenzo, Destino and One By One. Imagine what a fantastic films it could have been.

Eitherway, it's great they're releasing them anyway. Hopefully they'll see the light of day on a Treasure set.
DisneyVillains
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyVillains »

This looks like an incredible short and I am so glad that it will be on the Little Mermaid DVD. It is things like this that make you really miss 2D animation. Question though: I know that "One by One" is on the Lion King 2 DVD, but have "Lorenzo" or "Destino" been released in any DVD format?
"I admit that in the past I've been a nasty. They weren't kidding when they called me, well, a witch"
-Ursula

"How sentimental. You know I haven't been this choked up since I got a hunk of moussaka caught in my throat."-Hades
Aladdin from Agrabah
Special Edition

I don't think they've been released yet.
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

If the abandoned Fantasia III shorts were to be released on a treasure set, which set would it be? ''Silly Symphonies''?
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

If anyone isnt familiar w/ the little match girl story, do some research on it. it's a wicked pretty tale. most often told around the holiday season...of course- thats the time of year the story takes place.
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

Sounds good, not really interested in viewing it on anything other than the DVD though. How long does it go for? It is definite that it will be on The Little Mermaid: PE? If it isn't I'll be pissed off.
-James
Kenai
Gold Classic Collection

Disney's The Little Matchgirl

Post by Kenai »

I'm sure some of you have purchased TLM: PE by now, and have maybe watched the Little Matchgirl short. How is this WDFA animated short? And what are your thoughts?
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

I'm very anxious to see this! I bought the DVD but haven't had a chance to put it on yet. I'll definitely post after seeing it. I'll probably at least watch The Little Match Girl and the virtual ride tonight.
FantasiaMan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FantasiaMan »

I found it on Youtube. It's very moving & sad, indeed. I really felt bad for her, but I'm glad she's finally happy. I actually cried a bit. If "Baby Mine" or Bambi's mom didn't make you cry, this one will.

Here's a little fact: this short is the last to use the CAPS (Computer Animation Production System) at Disney's.

For those who don't know what CAPS is, check the description out here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_A ... ion_System