Luca

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Pixar's Luca

Post by Sotiris »

I hope the race isn't the focus of the narrative and doesn't take up too much running time.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I hope that too. Here are some more story details:
The movie tells the story of a young, curious, and shy sea monster who lives with his family and the other creatures under the sea near a small Italian village, in hiding from the dangerous humans. One day, Luca meets a boy by the name of Alberto and learns something amazing about himself — he turns into a human outside of the water. The two have an unforgettable summer with great food, endless scooter rides, and new experiences at every turn. Together, they brave the new world and learn how humans live, and although Alberto doesn’t know much more about humans than Luca, he teaches him to silence his fears, try new things, trust new people, and most importantly, trust himself. All the while, the pair must be careful not to reveal their secret sea monster identities.
Source: https://news.disney.com/luca-first-look
Luca follows the titular Luca, a curious young sea monster who is drawn to the bustling seaside town on the Italian Riviera by a fellow kid sea monster and Vespa enthusiast, Alberto. Alberto is everything Luca is not — gregarious where Luca is shy, adventurous where Luca is cautious. Alberto has created a little hovel for himself and his absent dad on the seashore out of knick knacks and human junk he’s recovered from the nearby town, and invites Luca to explore the surface world with him, where they transform into humans when they dry off. And when Luca balks, Alberto encourages him to silence the little voice telling him “no” in his head by shouting, “Silencio Bruno!”
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/pixar-luca-making-of/
Jacob Tremblay and Jack Dylan Grazer lend their voices to Luca and Alberto- two sea monsters who look human when they're out of the water. The two spark a friendship one special summer in an Italian seaside town – a bond quickly deepened by a mutual love of Vespa scooters and the freedom and adventure they represent (even when they’re homemade).
Source: https://blackgirlnerds.com/pixars-luca- ... ea-warren/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The film takes places in the late '50s/early '60s.
We even really rooted it in the 50s and 60s even though it's not entirely when I grew up, but there was something about the golden age that feels timeless. The music is wonderful in that time, the design, the cars, the Vespas, so we wanted to capture a little bit of this timelessness of summer. Most of the music is from the era. The designs are pretty specifically from late 50s to 60s.
Source: https://collider.com/luca-sea-monsters- ... -casarosa/

I'm not sure if the director was genuinely offered to do the movie in 2D but turned it down or he knew that the execs wouldn't greenlight his pitch if he said he wanted to do it that way.
The film’s unique visual style eschews many of the usual photoreal sensibilities we see in so much 3DCG. It all started with Casarosa’s drawings, his cartoony, exaggerated 2D-inspired designs, and the question of how the essence of that visual style could be captured in the sophisticated, precision-guided 3DCG pipeline that drives Pixar’s feature film productions. “I just love sketching,” Casarosa shares. “And I just love travelogging. I come from drawing comics, and watercolors. When I pitched La Luna with a presentation using watercolors, I remember someone asking me, ‘But you want to do it in watercolor?’ And I was like, ‘Well, I mean, you know, we're at Pixar and I think we should use our tools, but how do we bring in some warmth and imperfection...’ The thing I don't always love about computer animation is there's a certain sheen, a certain perfection to it. Now it's gone past that toward realism. But I come from loving sketches; I'm not one to love a perfectly painted picture that is realistic.”
Source: https://www.awn.com/animationworld/crea ... ixars-luca

The director cites Miyazaki, Aardman, and Wes Anderson among his visual inspirations for the film.
Casarosa’s artistic sensibilities stem in part from the animation he loves most. “I love Miyazaki movies,” he shares. “I love Wes Anderson’s stop-motion. I love Aardman’s stop-motion. Some of that ends up in my drawings, that sketchy and expressive style. We wanted to bring that to the film because it felt like this is a kid's world. This is a playful world. And it felt true to the story to go in that direction. I love the immersion of 3D, but I sometimes I feel it can go towards coldness. So, I wanted to bring the warmth of imperfection. That’s why some of the silly drawings made us laugh when we started boarding them and then put them on a screen.”

Animation supervisor Mike Venturini began working early with Casarosa on investigating and testing how to capture that 2D sensibility. “Enrico, as a director and as an artist, was inspired in his youth largely by Miyazaki's film library, starting with one of his first projects, a TV series called Future Boy Conan,” he explains. “That was one of Enrico's favorite things as a kid. So, initially, we watched a lot of episodes of that show. And they use a multi-limb style; it's boys being silly with a really broad physicality. He really liked that and hoped we could be influenced by that in some way. Then we kind of expanded our universe into the rest of Miyazaki’s film library, which a lot of the animators on the show were already familiar with. So, on a larger feature film scale, we were looking at what were some of Miyazaki’s characteristics. That’s what inspired us to try things.”

[...] The other thing was that in the Miyazaki film library, and in a lot of anime, is they get really big with the mouth shapes because they're being emotionally expressive. It's less about the dialogue being said, or the anatomical accuracy. So, we thought, ‘Let's be big and expressive. These are kids, the world's huge to them.’ And then, let's be as small as we can and just bring those corners all the way in and keep it round.”

“We watched a lot of Aardman animation where they go from a big toothy mouth to a little one with no teeth,” Venturini adds. “They'll go to these shapes where there's no teeth and we thought, ‘Let's do that.’ So, we also developed the ability to turn the teeth on and off over a single frame if we wanted. Those were some of the things that influenced us that we thought were playful, fun, more emotionally expressive, and less chained to reality.”
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Wow, thanks for posting those images, Farerb! Can I ask you where you found them?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:Wow, thanks for posting those images, Farerb! Can I ask you where you found them?
They were posted on Pixar Post.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

farerb wrote:They were posted on Pixar Post.
Oh, OK. Thanks for telling me. It looks like Luca and Alberto will have a secret hideout on land, right? And there's a Donald Duck Easter Egg in the last image. There's also this photo next to him:

Could they be Giulia and her mom? I wonder if she died. Her mother hasn't appeared in any of the trailers.
Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:Also, Giulia is carrying something behind her bike; I wonder what it could be.
They seem like blue rocks or oysters. Either way, I think it's something she sells to make ends meet.
Finally, they turned out to be just fish, but you were most likely right it's something she sells.
Sotiris wrote:I'm not sure if the director was genuinely offered to do the movie in 2D but turned it down or he knew that the execs wouldn't greenlight his pitch if he said he wanted to do it that way.
The film’s unique visual style eschews many of the usual photoreal sensibilities we see in so much 3DCG. It all started with Casarosa’s drawings, his cartoony, exaggerated 2D-inspired designs, and the question of how the essence of that visual style could be captured in the sophisticated, precision-guided 3DCG pipeline that drives Pixar’s feature film productions. “I just love sketching,” Casarosa shares. “And I just love travelogging. I come from drawing comics, and watercolors. When I pitched La Luna with a presentation using watercolors, I remember someone asking me, ‘But you want to do it in watercolor?’ And I was like, ‘Well, I mean, you know, we're at Pixar and I think we should use our tools, but how do we bring in some warmth and imperfection...’ The thing I don't always love about computer animation is there's a certain sheen, a certain perfection to it. Now it's gone past that toward realism. But I come from loving sketches; I'm not one to love a perfectly painted picture that is realistic.”
Are you talking about La Luna or Luca? In the past, I never thought of the possibility of them making films in 2D, but now that they've done several 2D shorts, I wonder if it would be possible in the future. What do you think about it?
Sotiris wrote:The director cites Miyazaki, Aardman, and Wes Anderson among his visual inspirations for the film.
Casarosa’s artistic sensibilities stem in part from the animation he loves most. “I love Miyazaki movies,” he shares. “I love Wes Anderson’s stop-motion. I love Aardman’s stop-motion. Some of that ends up in my drawings, that sketchy and expressive style. We wanted to bring that to the film because it felt like this is a kid's world. This is a playful world. And it felt true to the story to go in that direction. I love the immersion of 3D, but I sometimes I feel it can go towards coldness. So, I wanted to bring the warmth of imperfection. That’s why some of the silly drawings made us laugh when we started boarding them and then put them on a screen.”

Animation supervisor Mike Venturini began working early with Casarosa on investigating and testing how to capture that 2D sensibility. “Enrico, as a director and as an artist, was inspired in his youth largely by Miyazaki's film library, starting with one of his first projects, a TV series called Future Boy Conan,” he explains. “That was one of Enrico's favorite things as a kid. So, initially, we watched a lot of episodes of that show. And they use a multi-limb style; it's boys being silly with a really broad physicality. He really liked that and hoped we could be influenced by that in some way. Then we kind of expanded our universe into the rest of Miyazaki’s film library, which a lot of the animators on the show were already familiar with. So, on a larger feature film scale, we were looking at what were some of Miyazaki’s characteristics. That’s what inspired us to try things.”

[...] The other thing was that in the Miyazaki film library, and in a lot of anime, is they get really big with the mouth shapes because they're being emotionally expressive. It's less about the dialogue being said, or the anatomical accuracy. So, we thought, ‘Let's be big and expressive. These are kids, the world's huge to them.’ And then, let's be as small as we can and just bring those corners all the way in and keep it round.”

“We watched a lot of Aardman animation where they go from a big toothy mouth to a little one with no teeth,” Venturini adds. “They'll go to these shapes where there's no teeth and we thought, ‘Let's do that.’ So, we also developed the ability to turn the teeth on and off over a single frame if we wanted. Those were some of the things that influenced us that we thought were playful, fun, more emotionally expressive, and less chained to reality.”
That confirms the mouth shape was partially inspired by Aardman.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Pixar Staff Frustrated By Decisions to Send ‘Soul’ and ‘Luca’ Directly to Disney+
by Hoai-Tran Bui
Luca is the second Pixar film in less than a year to debut exclusively on Disney+. When Soul sidestepped movie theaters to debut exclusively on Disney+ in December, many Pixar employees believed it was a one-time decision brought on by coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, which shuttered theaters throughout 2020. But as the vaccine rollout has steadily expanded and theaters have begun to open back up, Pixar staffers are voicing their frustrations with Disney’s decision to apparently send only Pixar films straight to streaming on Disney+.

Several Pixar staffers spoke anonymously to Insider to criticize Disney’s decision to move the animation studio’s titles straight to the streaming platform Disney+.

Luca doesn’t even have a premium price next to it,” one staffer told Insider. “Does it make it lesser? It’s hard to grasp.”

In December, Soul became the first Pixar movie in its 26-year history to not open in theaters. It was given an exclusive Disney+ release on Christmas Day, which reportedly disappointed director Pete Docter but thrilled Disney when the numbers came in, showing Soul to be a major success for Disney+.

“That’s what was so eye-opening. Disney was over the moon about the numbers,” one Pixar staffer said.

The numbers might have softened the blow over the first Black-led Pixar movie debuting straight to streaming, but several sources at the company still hoped that this would be the first and last time a Pixar movie would not open in theaters. The tide seemed to be shifting in this favor, as Disney’s animated epic Raya and the Last Dragon opened simultaneously in theaters and on Disney+ Premier, meaning subscribers needed to pay the $29.99 premium fee that Mulan pioneered. Even with the unique release, Raya and the Last Dragon topped the domestic box office its opening weekends in theaters.

But in March, Disney announced that Pixar’s Luca would skip theaters and head straight to Disney+, without the premium $29.99 fee that Mulan and Raya and the Last Dragon cost. This was a sting to Pixar staffers who worked hard on the film and felt that this absence of a premium price meant Disney thought of Luca and other Pixar titles as “lesser.”

“We don’t want to be a title just on Disney Plus,” a staffer told Insider. “These movies are crafted for the big screen. We want you to watch these movies with no distractions, no looking at your phones.”

One has to wonder whether the reason Soul and Luca have been sent straight to Disney+ is because they aren’t considered surefire box office hits — the former due to the Black-led cast and high-concept premise, and the latter due to an untested director making his feature debut in a deeply personal story. Pre-pandemic, Pixar films like 2018’s Incredibles 2 and 2019’s Toy Story 4 both earned over $1 billion worldwide at the box office, but those films were both sequels of beloved properties. One animator wondered to Insider, “If these movies aren’t having $1 billion runs, does that hurt the company? You wonder that.”

Disney executive chairman Bob Iger recently defended the pivot to streaming, saying at the Clio Awards (via The Hollywood Reporter) Wednesday that the risk of moving from ” traditional forms of distribution — whether for movies or television shows, from linear channels, cable and satellite” to streaming has paid off.

“People have gotten a lot more comfortable watching movies and television shows in their homes, particularly using new technology to do so,” Iger said. “For the most part, that’s good for our business. And that’s certainly one example of disruption that was beginning, then hastened, and will probably be here to stay.”

Iger didn’t specifically mention Pixar movies or a plan to debut more theatrical releases straight to streaming, but it appears that this kind of exclusive Disney+ release won’t be going away with the pandemic. For now, Disney’s fall release Encanto remains set for theaters.
https://www.slashfilm.com/pixar-movies- ... streaming/

Bold mine. That's what I've wondered, too. They want diversity, but not to really "take chances" with the possibility they may fail.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New TV spot, Korean poster and international book covers:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyKorea/ph ... 198576157/ (via Almanaque Disney on Twitter)

Image Image Image Image

Image Image
Sources:
https://www.amazon.com/LUCA-coloriages- ... ef=sr_1_53
https://www.amazon.com/LUCA-coloriages- ... ef=sr_1_50
https://www.amazon.com/LUCA-Box-Office- ... ef=sr_1_42
https://www.amazon.fr/Disney-Luca-Buch- ... ref=sr_1_3
https://www.amazon.com/LUCA-enchant%C3% ... ef=sr_1_43
https://www.amazon.com/LUCA-Grands-clas ... ef=sr_1_40

Disney's Divinity wrote:Pixar Staff Frustrated By Decisions to Send ‘Soul’ and ‘Luca’ Directly to Disney+
by Hoai-Tran Bui
Luca is the second Pixar film in less than a year to debut exclusively on Disney+. When Soul sidestepped movie theaters to debut exclusively on Disney+ in December, many Pixar employees believed it was a one-time decision brought on by coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, which shuttered theaters throughout 2020. But as the vaccine rollout has steadily expanded and theaters have begun to open back up, Pixar staffers are voicing their frustrations with Disney’s decision to apparently send only Pixar films straight to streaming on Disney+.

Several Pixar staffers spoke anonymously to Insider to criticize Disney’s decision to move the animation studio’s titles straight to the streaming platform Disney+.

Luca doesn’t even have a premium price next to it,” one staffer told Insider. “Does it make it lesser? It’s hard to grasp.”

In December, Soul became the first Pixar movie in its 26-year history to not open in theaters. It was given an exclusive Disney+ release on Christmas Day, which reportedly disappointed director Pete Docter but thrilled Disney when the numbers came in, showing Soul to be a major success for Disney+.

“That’s what was so eye-opening. Disney was over the moon about the numbers,” one Pixar staffer said.

The numbers might have softened the blow over the first Black-led Pixar movie debuting straight to streaming, but several sources at the company still hoped that this would be the first and last time a Pixar movie would not open in theaters. The tide seemed to be shifting in this favor, as Disney’s animated epic Raya and the Last Dragon opened simultaneously in theaters and on Disney+ Premier, meaning subscribers needed to pay the $29.99 premium fee that Mulan pioneered. Even with the unique release, Raya and the Last Dragon topped the domestic box office its opening weekends in theaters.

But in March, Disney announced that Pixar’s Luca would skip theaters and head straight to Disney+, without the premium $29.99 fee that Mulan and Raya and the Last Dragon cost. This was a sting to Pixar staffers who worked hard on the film and felt that this absence of a premium price meant Disney thought of Luca and other Pixar titles as “lesser.”

“We don’t want to be a title just on Disney Plus,” a staffer told Insider. “These movies are crafted for the big screen. We want you to watch these movies with no distractions, no looking at your phones.”

One has to wonder whether the reason Soul and Luca have been sent straight to Disney+ is because they aren’t considered surefire box office hits — the former due to the Black-led cast and high-concept premise, and the latter due to an untested director making his feature debut in a deeply personal story. Pre-pandemic, Pixar films like 2018’s Incredibles 2 and 2019’s Toy Story 4 both earned over $1 billion worldwide at the box office, but those films were both sequels of beloved properties. One animator wondered to Insider, “If these movies aren’t having $1 billion runs, does that hurt the company? You wonder that.”

Disney executive chairman Bob Iger recently defended the pivot to streaming, saying at the Clio Awards (via The Hollywood Reporter) Wednesday that the risk of moving from ” traditional forms of distribution — whether for movies or television shows, from linear channels, cable and satellite” to streaming has paid off.

“People have gotten a lot more comfortable watching movies and television shows in their homes, particularly using new technology to do so,” Iger said. “For the most part, that’s good for our business. And that’s certainly one example of disruption that was beginning, then hastened, and will probably be here to stay.”

Iger didn’t specifically mention Pixar movies or a plan to debut more theatrical releases straight to streaming, but it appears that this kind of exclusive Disney+ release won’t be going away with the pandemic. For now, Disney’s fall release Encanto remains set for theaters.
https://www.slashfilm.com/pixar-movies- ... streaming/

Bold mine. That's what I've wondered, too. They want diversity, but not to really "take chances" with the possibility they may fail.
Yes, that could be the reason why they sent these particular movies to Disney+ at no extra cost. Though I understand it more in the case of Soul, for the reasons the article gave, but not so much about Luca. To me it looks like it could do quite well in theaters. But maybe they know the reviews are not going to be too good or something. That's what I think was probably the main reason why The Good Dinosaur, for example, disappointed at the box office.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Alberto has created a little hovel for himself and his absent dad on the seashore out of knick knacks and human junk he’s recovered from the nearby town, and invites Luca to explore the surface world with him
The similarities to The Little Mermaid keep piling up with this movie.
D82 wrote:Could they be Giulia and her mom?
That has to be her. Maybe her mom died in a shipwreck or something and that's why her dad hates sea creatures so much. That would make another similarity to The Little Mermaid. :lol:
D82 wrote:Are you talking about La Luna or Luca? In the past, I never thought of the possibility of them making films in 2D, but now that they've done several 2D shorts, I wonder if it would be possible in the future. What do you think about it?
I was talking about Luca. It seemed strange to me that he was asked if he wanted to make his movie in watercolor during his pitch presentation. Isn't it a given that all features at Pixar are going to be CG? Why did they even ask him such a thing? It made me curious if there's actually a possibility they'll take a chance with a 2D feature one day. Obviously, I would welcome such an endeavor, even though it's highly unlikely. I think the most Pixar would be willing to venture out of their comfort zone is maybe using non-photorealistic rendering in a feature. But even that seems like a long shot.
I'm guessing this will be the run-down scooter Luca & co. will fix to enter the race?
D82 wrote:To me it looks like it could do quite well in theaters. But maybe they know the reviews are not going to be too good or something. That's what I think was probably the main reason why The Good Dinosaur, for example, disappointed at the box office.
The analysts are right in that original films from new feature directors are riskier than sequels or offshoots from veteran directors. Of course, that doesn't mean they should stop making original films or giving a chance to new talent. When it comes to Luca in particular, I think the fear might be stemming from the fact that this story is a bit outside of what Pixar has become known for. It has beautiful visuals, but otherwise seems like a straightforward coming-of-age story. It's not high-concept or philosophical nor does it seem it will be particularly sentimental. I think that's also the reason why it won't win the Oscar this year. I still believe it would do well under normal circumstances, but since the box office hasn't bounced back to levels that satisfy the industry, Disney probably wanted to avoid any potentially negative headlines attached to a Pixar movie.

By the way, the director revealed there won't be an original song in Luca.
Q: There's no original song in Luca?

Enrico Casarosa: No original song. An amazing original score, a lot of 60s Italian songs and some amazing arias.
Source: https://twitter.com/sketchcrawl/status/ ... 8012189704
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Another TV spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q8jqSYKLRI

Also, if you click on the covers of these three books on Amazon, you can read the first few pages, which reveal some new details about the beginning of the movie:
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Golden-Book ... ref=sr_1_3
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/RH-Disney/d ... ef=sr_1_10
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/RH-Disney/d ... ref=sr_1_9

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:Alberto has created a little hovel for himself and his absent dad on the seashore out of knick knacks and human junk he’s recovered from the nearby town, and invites Luca to explore the surface world with him
The similarities to The Little Mermaid keep piling up with this movie.
You're right, I hadn't realized that was yet another similarity. The fact that Alberto acts like he knows a lot about the human world when he doesn't also reminds me of Scuttle.
Sotiris wrote:Maybe her mom died in a shipwreck or something and that's why her dad hates sea creatures so much. That would make another similarity to The Little Mermaid. :lol:
That's quite likely. He has to have something personal against them like that. Maybe he also lost his arm in the same incident. Or trying to avenge her death, for example.
Sotiris wrote:I was talking about Luca. It seemed strange to me that he was asked if he wanted to make his movie in watercolor during his pitch presentation. Isn't it a given that all features at Pixar are going to be CG? Why did they even ask him such a thing? It made me curious if there's actually a possibility they'll take a chance with a 2D feature one day. Obviously, I would welcome such an endeavor, even though it's highly unlikely. I think the most Pixar would be willing to venture out of their comfort zone is maybe using non-photorealistic rendering in a feature. But even that seems like a long shot.
I agree, but in that quote from the article you posted, I think the director was talking about his pitch for La Luna, not Luca.
Sotiris wrote:I'm guessing this will be the run-down scooter Luca & co. will fix to enter the race?
I guess so.
Sotiris wrote:The analysts are right in that original films from new feature directors are riskier than sequels or offshoots from veteran directors. Of course, that doesn't mean they should stop making original films or giving a chance to new talent. When it comes to Luca in particular, I think the fear might be stemming from the fact that this story is a bit outside of what Pixar has become known for. It has beautiful visuals, but otherwise seems like a straightforward coming-of-age story. It's not high-concept or philosophical nor does it seem it will be particularly sentimental. I think that's also the reason why it won't win the Oscar this year. I still believe it would do well under normal circumstances, but since the box office hasn't bounced back to levels that satisfy the industry, Disney probably wanted to avoid any potentially negative headlines attached to a Pixar movie.
All that makes a lot of sense. It's true that Luca seems to be a less ambitious film than usual for Pixar. I don't know, maybe the article was right. I'm very curious to see what reviews it gets.
Sotiris wrote:By the way, the director revealed there won't be an original song in Luca.
What a shame. I hope there's at least a new version of a classic song, like in Finding Nemo or Finding Dory.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The official Disney Facebook page at my country started promoting Luca for a June release at theaters!
The last film I saw at theaters was Onward and theaters have been closed ever since, but now they're talking about reopening them and rumor has it that they'll be opened by the end of the month, and now with this they'll definitely be opened by June 18 and it makes me so excited!!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

That's great! I'm so happy for you. And envious. :P I wish it opened in theaters in my country as well. By the way, I love that poster.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thanks, D82. I hope it will happen cause you never know these days...

Enrico Casarosa confirmed that the film will be released in 4K on twitter:

https://twitter.com/sketchcrawl/status/ ... 67330?s=19
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

farerb wrote:I hope it will happen cause you never know these days...
Who knows, but I think it's unlikely. According to Enrico Casarosa, it'll only be released in theaters in the territories that don't have Disney+. The good thing with it being on Disney+ for me is that now both this film and Cruella will open on the same day here as in the US, when before we would've had to wait a month or so to see them.

By the way, Enrico Casarosa also posted this poster from China recently:

Source: https://twitter.com/sketchcrawl/status/ ... 4686402562
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

So pretty (and adorable)!
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:The fact that Alberto acts like he knows a lot about the human world when he doesn't also reminds me of Scuttle.
You're right! That hadn't occurred to me.
D82 wrote:I agree, but in that quote from the article you posted, I think the director was talking about his pitch for La Luna, not Luca.
:oops: I can't believe I misread La Luna for Luca. :embarrassed:
D82 wrote:What a shame. I hope there's at least a new version of a classic song, like in Finding Nemo or Finding Dory.
There probably will be. If for nothing else, for marketing purposes. A new rendition will help with publicity.
D82 wrote:By the way, I love that poster.
All the posters for the film so far have had good composition. But because I'm not fond of the character designs, I can't "love" them. I need all the visual elements in a poster to appeal to me for me to love it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote: :oops: I can't believe I misread La Luna for Luca. :embarrassed:
Don't worry. "Luca" and "Luna" are actually very similar words and the article was about Luca, so it's easy to misread it for the film's title.
Sotiris wrote:There probably will be. If for nothing else, for marketing purposes. A new rendition will help with publicity.
I hope you're right.
Sotiris wrote:All the posters for the film so far have had good composition. But because I'm not fond of the character designs, I can't "love" them. I need all the visual elements in a poster to appeal to me for me to love it.
I understand that. Personally, I'm a bit more used to the designs now, but I'm still not a fan of the mouths.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Japanese poster and promo, which features a bit of new footage, and new TV spot.

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyStudioJ_A/sta ... 5063014400

Also, the film has been rated PG for rude humor, language, some thematic elements and brief violence. I'm not surprised by the rating, as it's normal for animated films nowadays, but isn't that a longer list of reasons for getting it than usual?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »