Luca

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Pixar's Luca

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:Animation on the film has finished. This is the first Pixar film animated completely from home, right? If I'm not mistaken, most of the animation on Soul was made before lockdown.
Yes. Soul had 53% of animation done before they had to work from home.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Two new book covers from Spain:

Image Image
Sources:
https://www.planetadelibros.com/libro-l ... nas/330010
https://www.planetadelibros.com/libro-l ... ras/328846

farerb wrote:Yes. Soul had 53% of animation done before they had to work from home.
OK, thanks for the info! I knew it part of the animation had been done before lockdown, but I didn't remember what percentage.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Trailer’s here! https://youtu.be/YdAIBlPVe9s
I thought the trailer was cute. I liked the locations and the art direction. They totally captured the aesthetic. You really felt transported to an Italian coastal town. I didn't care for the character designs which is a usual thing for me with human characters in Pixar films. I would have preferred if this was a simpler, wistful coming-of-age story without the supernatural element. I think having them be sea creatures who are afraid of being discovered, trying to foil the villain who wants to expose them, distracts from the themes of the film and makes it more conventional and safe.
D82 wrote:Unused concepts for the film's title by Hoodzpah Design. The final logo is by another studio. Which one's your favorite?
My favorite is the one with the fish tail.
D82 wrote:After watching the trailer and knowing more details about the story, now I think what you said it quite likely to happen. The film is very inspired by the director's childhood and he and his real friend parted ways when he decided to go to America to pursue his dream of becoming an artist. That and the way he talks about the film in interviews makes me think Luca and Alberto will also part ways at the end. Judging by the trailer, I'd say is quite clear Luca has feelings for the girl, so maybe he'll want to stay on land to be with her. Though, I don't know, if that's what actually happens, will there be a way for him to turn into a human indefinitely? Avoiding being in contact with water in front of other people for the rest of his life is going to be quite difficult, especially in a coastal village. And what about his parents? He's just a child, will he really leave them? Plus, that would be too similar to The Little Mermaid. Maybe the one who will want to stay is Alberto, since (like Enrico Casarosa's real friend) he has a difficult family situation. We'll see. I'm really curious about what the story will be.
The two friends will definitely end up parting ways. It seems more likely that Luca will be the one who'll want to stay, but it's also possible they go with the more unexpected route and have Alberto decide to stay. I can see a plausible scenario for either. I don't think though the girl will be anyone's love interest or the reason for their conflict. Such a choice would be seen as sexist and would be criticized. Pixar is quite aware of their audience and their expectations, so I think they'll avoid that trope. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how everything plays out.
rodrigo_ca wrote:Dan Romer (from Beasts of the Southern Wild and Netflix's Maniac) will be scoring the film.
It's weird they didn't get Michael Giacchino, who is of Italian descent, a Pixar staple, and a fan favorite. With his last Pixar credit being Incredibles 2, you would think Pixar would be eager to get him back for an original. Maybe he was too busy or there was some scheduling conflict.
D82 wrote:Also, Giulia is carrying something behind her bike; I wonder what it could be.
They seem like blue rocks or oysters. Either way, I think it's something she sells to make ends meet.
D82 wrote:And judging by the book he's holding, it seems Luca is interested in astronomy, right?
That might be the reason Luca will want to stay on land. So he can study the stars. You really can't do that in the ocean. :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:The two friends will definitely end up parting ways. It seems more likely that Luca will be the one who'll want to stay, but it's also possible they go with the more unexpected route and have Alberto decide to stay. I can see a plausible scenario for either. I don't think though the girl will be anyone's love interest or the reason for their conflict. Such a choice would be seen as sexist and would be criticized. Pixar is quite aware of their audience and their expectations, so I think they'll avoid that trope. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how everything plays out.
Maybe you're right about the girl. Plus, they're just children and it's mainly the story of the friendship between the two leads, so it's likely they won't focus too much on a possible romance.

Speaking of Giulia, the director has revealed that unlike Luca and Alberto, she's not based on any real person from his childhood:
Giulia is not inspired by someone I knew. She’s a wonderful character we found in the writing, story boarding and the amazing performance by newcomer Emma Berman.
Source: https://twitter.com/sketchcrawl/status/ ... 0121543680
Sotiris wrote:It's weird they didn't get Michael Giacchino, who is of Italian descent, a Pixar staple, and a fan favorite. With his last Pixar credit being Incredibles 2, you would think Pixar would be eager to get him back for an original. Maybe he was too busy or there was some scheduling conflict.
Yeah, maybe he wasn't available.
Sotiris wrote:They seem like blue rocks or oysters. Either way, I think it's something she sells to make ends meet.
Oysters is one of the things I had considered as a possibility. Yes, whatever it is, it's probably something she sells.
Sotiris wrote:That might be the reason Luca will want to stay on land. So he can study the stars. You really can't do that in the ocean. :P
It's true! I think that could really be the reason he will want to stay. That would make it similar to Enrico's own life, who also left his country to pursue his passion. By the way, I've watched the trailer again and he appears with the same book in it in the shot where he and Giulia are looking at the stars with a telescope.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Enrico Casarosa wrote:Aaand we finished the sound mix at Skywalker last night! Its a wrap! A very strange feeling to have the movie done. A five year journey, highs and lows … amazing, especially this last year, been a trip … and what a fantastic crew.

Can’t wait to share the film with the world.
https://twitter.com/sketchcrawl/status/ ... 49472?s=19
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The director has also revealed that a new trailer will be released next week.
Can we expect a new trailer for Luca to play at the Oscars tomorrow or sometime in the next week?

It’s dropping ... sometime next week Sir!
Source: https://twitter.com/sketchcrawl/status/ ... 9207309314
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

At least with Luca set in Italy, people can't complain about the characters turning into creatures or animals this time around. Could you imagine the backlash this would get if the leads were characters of color, especially so soon after Soul?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I've lost all interest in this now I know I couldn't see it even if I wanted to with it being streaming exclusive. Besides, the way the director responded to all the LGBT speculation makes me sure one of the boys will kiss the random girl character as some kind of "No Homo" gesture to the audience at some point in this film. :roll:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Pixar has announced the first full trailer will arrive this Wednesday. They're releasing it as a premiere video like the last time.

Enrico Casarosa recently said we'll get to see a bit of Maya Rudolph's character in this trailer. I'm curious to see what the underwater world will look like. Judging by the monster versions of Luca and Alberto and the fact that both them and Luca's parents have normal Italian names (Daniela and Lorenzo), I bet it won't be too different from the human world. I imagine it'll be a bit like the world in Onward. Probably, to highlight the fact that the people from both places have more in common than they think. But we'll see, maybe I'm mistaken.
Sotiris wrote:At least with Luca set in Italy, people can't complain about the characters turning into creatures or animals this time around. Could you imagine the backlash this would get if the leads were characters of color, especially so soon after Soul?
It's true, I hadn't thought about that. I guess from now on they'll be more careful not to do that again whenever they have a lead character of color.
robster16
Special Edition

Post by robster16 »

New trailer (cute, but doesn't really add THAT much for me personally):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYfJxlgR2jw

New poster is absolutely stunning though!

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Wow, it's beautiful! This movie is getting great posters. Personally, I loved the trailer as well. The movie looks so charming and funny. It's such a shame it won't be released in theaters.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

The male kids won't be romantically involved,

ttps://www.polygon.com/22407617/luca-gay-chara ... ce=twitter
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Have you noticed something :?

All the humans are voiced by actually Italians, while the sea monsters are voiced by Americans !
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The Latin American poster is a bit different from the domestic one:

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyStudiosLA/sta ... 4166274048
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I am just loving what we’re seeing from this. <3
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyFan97 wrote:The male kids won't be romantically involved,

ttps://www.polygon.com/22407617/luca-gay-chara ... ce=twitter
:?: No offense intended, but I never said otherwise. I said the exact opposite, in fact. My comment was about the fact that the director's response came across appalled people would have even thought such a thing, partly because he associates his identity with the characters, and so I expect there will be a lurch in the opposite direction by forcing something romantic between the girl and one of the boys that probably wouldn't have been there otherwise.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I expect there will be a lurch in the opposite direction by forcing something romantic between the girl and one of the boys that probably wouldn't have been there otherwise.
Based on his comments below, it seems there won't anything romantic between the girl and one of the boys.
"I was really keen to talk about a friendship before girlfriends and boyfriends come in to complicate things," Casarosa says. "Even narratively, once Julia [a female character voiced by Emma Berman] comes into the picture and we looked at the structure of it, sometimes the story would pull you toward some puppy love or romance. To be completely honest, I really wanted to talk about friendship."
Source: https://ew.com/movies/luca-pixar-call-m ... mparisons/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

• Two more voice actors have been revealed:
The voice cast features Jacob Tremblay as Luca Paguro, Jack Dylan Grazer as Alberto Scorfano, Emma Berman as Giulia Marcovaldo, Saverio Raimondo as town bully Ercole Visconti, Maya Rudolph as Luca’s mom Daniela, Marco Barricelli as Giulia’s dad Massimo, Jim Gaffigan as Luca’s dad Lorenzo, Sandy Martin as Luca’s grandma, and Giacomo Gianniotti as a local fisherman.
Source: https://www.waltdisneystudios.com/news- ... ler-poster

• New story details from the article DisneyFan97 posted:
Luca follows young Luca and Alberto, two young sea monsters who turn into humans when out of the water, as they venture into the surface world for the first time after being cautioned how dangerous it is for their kind. After encountering a cocky Vespa owner, the boys want to buy a scooter of their own, and they team up with plucky Giulia to enter the town’s annual race. One hiccup? Giulia also happens to be the local fishmonger’s daughter.
Source: https://www.polygon.com/22407617/luca-g ... -your-name

• Concept art of Luca's family (more artwork here):

• The trailer also gave us a first look at the sea monsters' homes:

• And more new articles:

With ‘Luca,’ Pixar is Moving Away From Realism and Toward “the Hand of the Artist”
https://www.slashfilm.com/pixar-luca-making-of/

How Pixar’s ‘Luca’ Took Inspiration From Studio Ghibli and Aardman to Create a “Handcrafted Feel” [Interview]
https://www.slashfilm.com/luca-inspirat ... interview/

The Sea Monster to Human Transformation in ‘Luca’ is Partially Based on Mystique in the ‘X-Men’ Movies
https://www.slashfilm.com/luca-transformation-pixar/
Last edited by D82 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:• New story details from the article DisneyFan97 posted:
Luca follows young Luca and Alberto, two young sea monsters who turn into humans when out of the water, as they venture into the surface world for the first time after being cautioned how dangerous it is for their kind. After encountering a cocky Vespa owner, the boys want to buy a scooter of their own, and they team up with plucky Giulia to enter the town’s annual race. One hiccup? Giulia also happens to be the local fishmonger’s daughter.
Source: https://io9.gizmodo.com/luca-director-e ... 1846599431
My interest and excitement have decreased from 11/10 to 5/10.