Luca

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Pixar's Luca

Post by UmbrellaFish »

^^^^

The queer reading is so strong here. Yes, it’s probably all subtextual, but it’s there!
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

This looks AMAZING!!! I love the look, the colors. So excited for this.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

More articles:

What Do Pixar Sea Monsters Look Like? 'Luca' Director Enrico Casarosa Explains
https://collider.com/luca-sea-monsters- ... -casarosa/

Watch the Trailer for 'Luca,' Disney and Pixar's Animated Sea Monster Adventure
https://www.etonline.com/disney-pixar-l ... iew-161041

How Jacob Tremblay Was Cast as a Sea Monster in Pixar's 'Luca' (Exclusive)
https://www.etonline.com/disney-pixar-l ... iew-161118

Trailer for Pixar's 'Luca' debuts: Director says coming-of-age adventure influenced by Miyazaki, Fellini and 'Stand by Me'
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/luc ... 51999.html
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I wonder who will voice these two ladies ? :?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EvFtw0gWQAM ... name=large
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

While it does look great also makes me sad that Disney canceled Gigantic that was going to be set in Spain. And now, because of Luca and the similarities (in broad aspects) between both countries I don´t think another movie set in Spain will happen now.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I don't live in Spain or Italy, and have never been in the latter country, but it is possible those who live there will disagree that the two countries are "too similar".

The concepts are different too. One setting is in relatively modern times in a small fishing village with scooters and ice cream, the other is a medieval setting that starts in Spain, but quickly relocates to a land of giants among the clouds.

And if a flop could affect a similar movie not to be made, the opposite could also be true; a successful Luca could greenlight Gigantic if Disney should considering to give it another chance.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

DC Fan wrote:While it does look great also makes me sad that Disney canceled Gigantic that was going to be set in Spain. And now, because of Luca and the similarities (in broad aspects) between both countries I don´t think another movie set in Spain will happen now.
Im sure pre-19th century Spain would look nothing like 20th century Italy. :)

It looks like a cute story, but yeesh I really dont dig the gumby noodly looking texture/aesthetic of the characters. Hopefully the story and characterization will make up for it.

BTW whats with Pixar and all these cats lately? Not that Im complaining, I love cats! :up:
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

I´m saying that Italy and Spain are similar in terms of language (both have Romance languages---to the point that once I was in a museum listening to an Italian guide talk to tourists and I could understand most of it), similar types of lives, similar types of arquitecture (Romans conquered Spain and it reflects---there are still Roman findings when doing constructions, there are even amphitheatres that are still used), similar types of weather, environment...

My point is that USA (Disney in this topic) has much more connection (for obvious reasons) to UK than any other European countries. As such, it´s no big deal for Disney to keep telling stories that take place on these countries (Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, Christopher Robin, The Great Mouse Detective, Brave).

However, when it comes to other countries, more often than not single movie is enough. For instance, having Coco I highly doubt Disney/Pixar would do another movie set on another Latin American country. And that´s my worry with Luca.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

DC Fan wrote:However, when it comes to other countries, more often than not single movie is enough. For instance, having Coco I highly doubt Disney/Pixar would do another movie set on another Latin American country. And that´s my worry with Luca.
Disney does have Encanto coming up, which is set in Colombia.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here are a couple more:

Image Image
Sources (via the Pixar Post Forum):
https://www.amazon.com/Luca-Read-Along- ... 1368067085
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Meredith-Ru ... se_p_img_1

The new synopsis for the last book confirms Bruno is the name they give to the voice of doubt in your head:
Inspired by Disney and Pixar's film Luca, this story reminds us that with encouragement and some help from good friends, everyone―even sea monsters―can learn to believe in themselves. Includes two surprise fold-out pages!

Alberto Scorfano thinks he's pretty wise for his fourteen years. And if there's one thing he's an expert in, it is getting rid of Brunos. Who is Bruno? He is the voice in your head telling you: "No! You can't do it! You'll never make it!" Bruno is sneaky, annoying, and rude, but don't worry―Alberto is here to help you and his friends send Bruno to the bottom of the sea.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

estefan wrote:
DC Fan wrote:However, when it comes to other countries, more often than not single movie is enough. For instance, having Coco I highly doubt Disney/Pixar would do another movie set on another Latin American country. And that´s my worry with Luca.
Disney does have Encanto coming up, which is set in Colombia.
Forgot about that. Well, let´s wait and see.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Does Luca come out this year? I assume it must if there are coloring books and such already coming out. By the time this one (and Encanto)'s out, I should have the vaccine by then. It'll be the first PIXAR movie I'll see in theaters then since the original Toy Story (and that was something my family took me to see, not something I went to on my own). I love the look of everything so far and I have hope at least that Pete Docter will lead the studio in a direction I enjoy more, jmo.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

^ Yup, it's supposed to come out in June if I'm not mistaken!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^That's right. Unless it gets postponed or something, it'll be released on June 18.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Unused concepts for the film's title by Hoodzpah Design. The final logo is by another studio. Which one's your favorite?

Source: https://hoodzpahdesign.com/portfolio/di ... treatment/ (via Twitter)

Here are also two updated book covers (these were the old versions):

Image Image
Sources:
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Suzanne-Fra ... ref=sr_1_1
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Grace-Baran ... ref=sr_1_5
blackcauldron85

I really like the 2nd, 3rd, & 7th logos on that sheet (the ones hinting at water or sea creatures!).

It's interesting that for both Raya & Luca, they are not hiding the transformations of the characters...maybe such an unexpected twist would leave audiences feeling duped, I don't know.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Saverio Raimondo, who voices the film's villain, has confirmed his character is the one below. Thanks to the trailer's captions, we also know his name is Ercole. Since the villain had been described as a "bully kid", I thought it couldn't be this character. Doesn't he look like an adult in the trailer?

Image Image

blackcauldron85 wrote:I really like the 2nd, 3rd, & 7th logos on that sheet (the ones hinting at water or sea creatures!).
Those are my favorites as well! I also like the detail of the sun inside the "C" of the 4th one and the water reflection below, but overall it's not as good as those other three. Though these concepts are quite creative, I have to say I prefer the final logo. It hadn't occurred to me before, but maybe the "line" below Luca is not only meant to represent sea waves, but also sea creatures' fins.

By the way, I don't know if I didn't notice it the first time or if it was added afterwards, but I've now seen there are more logos in the same article:

blackcauldron85 wrote:It's interesting that for both Raya & Luca, they are not hiding the transformations of the characters...maybe such an unexpected twist would leave audiences feeling duped, I don't know.
Well, Sisu spends almost half the movie as a human and probably something similar will happen here with Luca and Alberto, so I guess it's difficult to hide that detail in the film's promotion. Especially, in Luca's case where the whole story revolves around the fact that they're sea monsters.
blackcauldron85

That 5th logo in the new set is my favorite (it has fins!). That makes sense about the transformations...same thing with Kenai in Brother Bear, as well. I don't know why my brain thinks these transformations should be surprises. :p
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The first and fifth logos are my favorites of these. As far as the second picture of logos with the blue background, I only really like the very last one. The finished logo makes me think of chalk, like it was scribbled by a child.

Raimundo looks like a teenager for me. I forgot to say, they showed a trailer for this before Raya (I was surprised they didn't show one for Cruella). I really am leaning towards seeing this, maybe in part because of how fun it was being in a theater again. I'm not sure what to think about the girl character, but I guess it's nice to have a different dynamic here (a trio) and in Raya (a group of six) instead of the typical buddy restrictions.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"