Luca

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: Pixar's Luca

Post by Vlad »

I just saw it, and I loved it. It really made me excited to go to Italy in August. :D :D :D
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Why are people complaining that an old white guy isn't in a movie set in Italy? Southern Europeans are people too you know but ignorant Americans take offense at everything for not fitting their narrow minded cultural standards. :lol:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Press Release:
This Summer, Embark on a Fun-Filled Adventure of Friendship on the Italian Riviera When Disney and Pixar’s ‘Luca’ Splashes Onto
Digital, 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD Aug. 3

Includes Two Alternate Openings, Deleted Scenes and More

Escape to the beautiful Italian seaside town of Portorosso when Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” arrives on digital, 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD on Aug. 3. The release touts a variety of bonus features including never-before-seen featurettes, deleted scenes and two alternate openings.

Film Synopsis
Set in a seaside town on the Italian Riviera, Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” is a coming-of-age story about a young boy experiencing an unforgettable summer. Luca shares his amazing adventures with his friend Alberto, but their fun is threatened by a deeply held secret: They’re sea monsters from a world below the water’s surface.

Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” Bonus Features*
Our Italian Inspiration – Experience the joy of discovery as Pixar artists travel to Cinque Terre, Italy, to absorb the beauty and culture of the coastal region which inspired the characters and the quintessential Italian backdrop of “Luca.”
Secretly A Sea Monster – Explore the artistry and technical innovation of Luca's transformation from sea monster to human, and how the theme of transformation is central to the emotional journey of the main characters.
Best Friends – Best friends can challenge us, inspire us, annoy us, and encourage us. The cast and crew of “Luca” share their own stories about how besties influenced their lives, and how those experiences informed the creation of screen pals Luca, Alberto and Giulia.
Deleted Scenes
Introduction – Director Enrico Casarosa introduces scenes not included in the final version of “Luca.”
Starfish Hunt (Alternate Opening) – Luca explores the shore and the sea, gathering mussels and starfish, in this serene alternate opening to the film.
Isola Del Mare (Alternate Opening) – Luca welcomes viewers to the quiet island he calls home.
Festa Del Mare – The boys go to a festival filled with fun ... and danger.
Here Comes Giulia – Giulia explores Isola Del Mare, where she meets Luca and Alberto, and asks so many questions.
Gelato Trouble – Giulia offers to treat Luca and Alberto to something called “gelato.”
Sea Monster Cannery – Luca dreams about a magical place filled with Vespas and gelato, but things aren't quite what they seem.
*bonus features vary by product and retailer

Voice Cast: Jacob Tremblay as Luca Paguro
Jack Dylan Grazer as Alberto Scorfano
Emma Berman as Giulia Marcovaldo
Saverio Raimondo as Ercole Visconti
Maya Rudolph as Daniela Paguro
Marco Barricelli as Massimo Marcovaldo
Jim Gaffigan as Lorenzo Paguro
Directed by: Enrico Casarosa
Produced by: Andrea Warren, p.g.a.
Executive Producers: Pete Docter
Peter Sohn
Kiri Hart
Screenplay by: Jesse Andrews
Mike Jones
Story by: Enrico Casarosa
Jesse Andrews
Simon Stephenson
Music by: Dan Romer

Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” Product Specifications

Street Date: Digital: Aug. 3
Physical: Aug. 3
Product SKUs: Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD
Physical: 4K Ultra HD™ Combo Pack (4K UHD + Blu-ray™ Feature + Digital Code), Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray™ Feature + DVD + Digital Code) & DVD
Feature Run Time: Approx. 95 minutes
Rating: U.S. Rated PG
Bonus material not rated
Aspect Ratio: Digital: 1.85:1
Physical: 1.85:1
U.S. Audio: 4K Ultra HD™: English Dolby Atmos and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, English, French, Spanish and Italian 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus
Blu-ray™: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, French, Spanish and Italian 5.1 Dolby Digital
DVD: English, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only, some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)
U.S. Subtitles: 4K Ultra HD™: English SDH, Spanish, French, Italian
Blu-ray™: English SDH, Spanish, French, Italian
DVD: English SDH, Spanish, French
Digital: English SDH, Spanish, French (some platforms)
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Wow, it's going to be on physical media less than two months after its Disney Plus premiere? That's quick! Soul took three months.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Jules wrote:What is this? The Spanish inquisition!!??

Ahem. Anyway.

There’s no official word on why Pixar broke their tradition of giving John a role here or in Soul, so I’d rather not make assumptions. He’s doing/done voice work for Monsters at Work, so who knows.

I really liked Luca. It’s fun watching kids being kids and having them navigate through their friendships and explore the world around them. Loved the palette of the characters as sea “monsters.” I also felt some Stand by Me vibes here and there, tone-wise with the story.

In general, I keep seeing comparisons of this to Miyazaki but it really felt more like a nod to Aardman for me, whether or not it was at all intended. Slightly stylized, like a smoother version of stop-motion. Although I must admit I’ve been kind of out of the loop and don’t know a thing about the production of this one, lol.

The somewhat lighter story was a nice change of pace; I also didn’t feel like an emotional wreck as I sometimes do at the end of the film, lol. Little Dude has also had a blast watching it while playing with his matching Happy Meal toys!
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

thedisneyspirit wrote:Why are people complaining that an old white guy isn't in a movie set in Italy? Southern Europeans are people too you know but ignorant Americans take offense at everything for not fitting their narrow minded cultural standards. :lol:
This isn't about casting the right person for the job, it's just that its been a tradition from the very first movie. You could've had him say hey over a over a phone and it would still be enough to keep things going.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

I don't believe the Ratzenberger cameos are being phased out at Pixar because he's a Republican. I just think the filmmakers there got sick of this cameo tradition. Maybe this lasted as long as it did because of Lasseter and now that he's gone they found the opportunity to stop doing it. It reminds me when at one point they stopped doing the animated bloopers at the end of each film even though audiences loved them.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Aww I just finished and it was cute!!! I felt like it should’ve been a musical. There were so many parts where I thought they were about to sing.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

They say it'll be the first without an audio commentary. Is that true?

Wonder why Enrico would not record one or why Disney would choose to cut it.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
BK wrote: With Raya, Kelly Marie Tran can say whatever she wants, but that doesn't make it true. In fact, she's the one queerbaiting and pandering, stringing people along where there was no intention to - and then people want to take it out on Disney? And I don't even like Disney as a corporation, but come on. Don't give attention-seeking people (Tran) attention.
You clearly don't even know the definition of queerbaiting. Tran expressing out loud that she felt the same about Raya and Namaari's chemistry in relation to one another in a similar way to other viewers isn't queerbaiting. Queerbaiting has to do with what the *movie* / text showcases, not what an actor says. :lol: :roll: But that's nice demonizing a LGBT voice actor in defense of a multi-billion corporation that regularly attempts to have their cake and eat it, too, in regards to the queerbaiting both in Raya and this film.
Wikipedia: Queerbaiting is a marketing technique for fiction and entertainment[6] in which creators hint at, but then do not actually depict, same-sex romance or other LGBTQ+ representation.

So Raya has nothing hinting a same-sex romance, the writers didn't put it in, the voice actors didn't even record with each other but separately, so the only one hinting at something not depicted is Tran. As for Luca, if you're going to ignore the director's own words and then still accuse them of queerbaiting, that's on you for digging your head in the sand and refusing to accept reality.

If you want to see a romantic relationship, that's on you, but it was not intentional so as malignant as Disney can be, the criticism for Raya and Luca is faux outrage.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

thedisneyspirit wrote:Why are people complaining that an old white guy isn't in a movie set in Italy? Southern Europeans are people too you know but ignorant Americans take offense at everything for not fitting their narrow minded cultural standards.
OK, as a southern European I think I am 100% qualified to answer this. :P

Firstly, I don't really subscribe to the idea that in animation the voice actor's race has to match the character's race. I think white people can voice black characters, and black people can voice white characters. The same applies for every other conceivable race and nationality. Actually, the more things get mixed-up, the better! I'm sure the voice actors themselves would appreciate being able to spread their wings and assume completely different characters.

However, even if I did agree with the aforementioned idea, then there is absolutely no problem with "white" Ratzenberger voicing an Italian character! Why? Because both Americans and Italians are Caucasians!

"How dare you!? You're not Italian! Speak for yourself!"

Yes, I am not Italian. I am Maltese, but I probably share more DNA with the average Italian than any of you here. lol :lol:

Also, I would like to add that certainly, Southern Europeans tend to have darker skin. I am olive-skinned, and I am sure there are many olive-skinned Italians too. But we are still 'white'. Hence, there can never be an issue with a 'white' American voicing a Southern European because we really are the same race!

And Yes - I know ... if I had to stand next to a blonde and blue-eyed Swede I would look much, much darker, but that's beside the point. I am rather fascinated about how much variation there is in the caucasian race, though!

Hope this is not a controversial opinion, lol. :mischief:
Elladorine wrote:
Jules wrote:What is this? The Spanish inquisition!!??

Ahem. Anyway.
:lol: :lol:

I don't recognise the characters in that GIF, but it did remind me of the ridiculously over-the-top song 'n' dance number in Mel Brooks' History of the World, Part 1! So, I still lol'ed.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

UPDATE

I just remembered how my eyes roll back all the way into my head every time I see an insipid question such as "Are Italian people white?" on sites like Quora!

I still do not know whether these are the sincere questions of a clueless person, or troll questions intent on provoking drama.

I'm guessing the latter!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

BK wrote:As for Luca, if you're going to ignore the director's own words and then still accuse them of queerbaiting, that's on you for digging your head in the sand and refusing to accept reality.
I actually saw an article on Insider that accused the filmmakers of chickening out for not openly depicting Luca and Alberto as gay. But if the director based their friendship on his own platonic friendship with an Italian friend he knew as a child (and still knows as an adult, by the way), then it's understandable why the thought of them being gay didn't cross his mind. So he's definitely not queerbaiting. Queerbaiting was the filmmakers and actors of "Beauty and the Beast" making a big deal about LeFou being gay and then those moments being so subtle as to be largely unnoticeable.

However, regardless of Enrico Casarosa's intentions, I think it's sweet that many are reading LGBTQ themes into "Luca" and especially that the movie is speaking to them, because of this.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

farerb wrote:Press Release:
This Summer, Embark on a Fun-Filled Adventure of Friendship on the Italian Riviera When Disney and Pixar’s ‘Luca’ Splashes Onto
Digital, 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD Aug. 3

Includes Two Alternate Openings, Deleted Scenes and More

Escape to the beautiful Italian seaside town of Portorosso when Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” arrives on digital, 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD on Aug. 3. The release touts a variety of bonus features including never-before-seen featurettes, deleted scenes and two alternate openings.

Film Synopsis
Set in a seaside town on the Italian Riviera, Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” is a coming-of-age story about a young boy experiencing an unforgettable summer. Luca shares his amazing adventures with his friend Alberto, but their fun is threatened by a deeply held secret: They’re sea monsters from a world below the water’s surface.

Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” Bonus Features*
Our Italian Inspiration – Experience the joy of discovery as Pixar artists travel to Cinque Terre, Italy, to absorb the beauty and culture of the coastal region which inspired the characters and the quintessential Italian backdrop of “Luca.”
Secretly A Sea Monster – Explore the artistry and technical innovation of Luca's transformation from sea monster to human, and how the theme of transformation is central to the emotional journey of the main characters.
Best Friends – Best friends can challenge us, inspire us, annoy us, and encourage us. The cast and crew of “Luca” share their own stories about how besties influenced their lives, and how those experiences informed the creation of screen pals Luca, Alberto and Giulia.
Deleted Scenes
Introduction – Director Enrico Casarosa introduces scenes not included in the final version of “Luca.”
Starfish Hunt (Alternate Opening) – Luca explores the shore and the sea, gathering mussels and starfish, in this serene alternate opening to the film.
Isola Del Mare (Alternate Opening) – Luca welcomes viewers to the quiet island he calls home.
Festa Del Mare – The boys go to a festival filled with fun ... and danger.
Here Comes Giulia – Giulia explores Isola Del Mare, where she meets Luca and Alberto, and asks so many questions.
Gelato Trouble – Giulia offers to treat Luca and Alberto to something called “gelato.”
Sea Monster Cannery – Luca dreams about a magical place filled with Vespas and gelato, but things aren't quite what they seem.
*bonus features vary by product and retailer

Voice Cast: Jacob Tremblay as Luca Paguro
Jack Dylan Grazer as Alberto Scorfano
Emma Berman as Giulia Marcovaldo
Saverio Raimondo as Ercole Visconti
Maya Rudolph as Daniela Paguro
Marco Barricelli as Massimo Marcovaldo
Jim Gaffigan as Lorenzo Paguro
Directed by: Enrico Casarosa
Produced by: Andrea Warren, p.g.a.
Executive Producers: Pete Docter
Peter Sohn
Kiri Hart
Screenplay by: Jesse Andrews
Mike Jones
Story by: Enrico Casarosa
Jesse Andrews
Simon Stephenson
Music by: Dan Romer

Disney and Pixar’s “Luca” Product Specifications

Street Date: Digital: Aug. 3
Physical: Aug. 3
Product SKUs: Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD
Physical: 4K Ultra HD™ Combo Pack (4K UHD + Blu-ray™ Feature + Digital Code), Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray™ Feature + DVD + Digital Code) & DVD
Feature Run Time: Approx. 95 minutes
Rating: U.S. Rated PG
Bonus material not rated
Aspect Ratio: Digital: 1.85:1
Physical: 1.85:1
U.S. Audio: 4K Ultra HD™: English Dolby Atmos and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, English, French, Spanish and Italian 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus
Blu-ray™: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, French, Spanish and Italian 5.1 Dolby Digital
DVD: English, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only, some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)
U.S. Subtitles: 4K Ultra HD™: English SDH, Spanish, French, Italian
Blu-ray™: English SDH, Spanish, French, Italian
DVD: English SDH, Spanish, French
Digital: English SDH, Spanish, French (some platforms)
Wow, that was fast! Super looking forward to buying it. Pixar's movies get better and better, in terms of story, animation, imagery.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

BK wrote:
Wikipedia: Queerbaiting is a marketing technique for fiction and entertainment[6] in which creators hint at, but then do not actually depict, same-sex romance or other LGBTQ+ representation.

So Raya has nothing hinting a same-sex romance, the writers didn't put it in, the voice actors didn't even record with each other but separately, so the only one hinting at something not depicted is Tran.
No. A studio would never admit, much less discuss, when they are deliberately queerbaiting (whether for a TV series or film), it's something only the audience will see. Yes, I do see Luca and Raya both as examples of queerbaiting and you're right that there's nothing you can do to change that. You have a right to your opinion, but my opinion is that you're wrong. :shrug: You seem more determined to defend a multi-billion company than I am.
estefan wrote:Queerbaiting was the filmmakers and actors of "Beauty and the Beast" making a big deal about LeFou being gay and then those moments being so subtle as to be largely unnoticeable.
I'm sorry, estefan, I have to disagree with you as well. This is not queerbaiting because it's canon that LeFou is gay in the B&tB live-action film, even though Disney could be accused of being cowardly in the way they aren't more in your face with it. Queerbaiting requires that the characters are never revealed for what they are in canon. That's kind of the whole point, adding innuendo that will drive an audience in one direction without going the full mile and confirming it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Jules wrote:I don't recognise the characters in that GIF, but it did remind me of the ridiculously over-the-top song 'n' dance number in Mel Brooks' History of the World, Part 1! So, I still lol'ed.
I was referencing this quote, which is from the Spanish Inquisition skit by Monty Python and seemed like an apt response. ;)
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Elladorine wrote:
Jules wrote:I don't recognise the characters in that GIF, but it did remind me of the ridiculously over-the-top song 'n' dance number in Mel Brooks' History of the World, Part 1! So, I still lol'ed.
I was referencing this quote, which is from the Spanish Inquisition skit by Monty Python and seemed like an apt response. ;)
I suspected that was Monty Python, even though I have somehow managed never to watch Monty Python! :lol:

Yes, I might have been living under a rock all these years. :P

Oh, and ...

The Spanish Inquisition Song 'n' Dance Spectacular

The music is cringey as hell, but I am sure it sounds that way on purpose! :lol: I remember the rest of the film rather vaguely, but then I last watched this at age 14 or 15 - before I even joined UD. I know critics didn't like it, and I found it uneven too - but still enjoyable and worth a watch.

I think I guffawed most during the film's epilogue at "Hitler on Ice"!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

That would have been interesting.
Production Designer Daniela Strijleva also talked about the ways they tried to give the film a handmade look, which includes Luca’s eyes having a handpainted texture. At one point, Enrico Casarosa even tried using watercolor skies in the film, but they didn’t blend well enough with the world to be used.
Source: https://www.laughingplace.com/w/article ... at-annecy/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney+ Survey Hints at a Potential Luca Sequel
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/06/29/ex ... ca-sequel/
Farerb
Diamond Edition