Disney’s Biggest Animated Flops

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Disney’s Biggest Animated Flops

Post by carolinakid »

AV Club has compiled its list of Disney’s 10 biggest animated flops during their initial box office run:

10. Fantasia 2000 (1999)
9. Bambi (1942)
8. The Sword in the Stone (1963)
7. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
6. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
5. Fantasia (1940)
4. Pinocchio (1940)
3. The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
2. The Black Cauldron (1985)
1. Treasure Planet (2002)

Any thoughts?
VanessaFan
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Disney’s Biggest Animated Flops

Post by VanessaFan »

I wonder if Strange World will make this list..? :o And as a fan of Treasure Planet, it hurts to see it on the number one spot. :cry:
Vote for YOUR favorite Disney movie here:
https://www.fanpop.com/clubs/walt-disne ... sics-movie
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

A lot of great films on this list... I love Pinocchio and The Sword in the Stone in particular, but I enjoy them all. I imagine Tangled is also a flop when you factor in the huge budget from its multiple iterations, but Disney always wants to hide that.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I think the list just proves how box office numbers are not an indication of quality, and how much they don't matter in the long run. No one will go to their Blu-ray shelf and think "should I watch Pinocchio now? Mmm no no, it failed at the box office".

It's just funny to me how people became obsessed with the box office nowadays, because 20 years ago I remember people just went to a movie they liked and they didn't really care if they were successful or not.
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

Farerb wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:16 pm I think the list just proves how box office numbers are not an indication of quality, and how much they don't matter in the long run. No one will go to their Blu-ray shelf and think "should I watch Pinocchio now? Mmm no no, it failed at the box office".

It's just funny to me how people became obsessed with the box office nowadays, because 20 years ago I remember people just went to a movie they liked and they didn't really care if they were successful or not.
Alas, if only we still lived in those times, people not having to rely on idiots, most especially Youtubers and even critics To “help” them with how to think about a movie, and or determine its overall success and value. I’d honestly consider any and all of these to be classics more than any of the so-called “classics”
That most people consider: heck, I pretty much don’t really like any movies other than Disney that were made priority to the Early 2000s.

Anyways, how the heck is Mars needs moms not on the list here?! It’s one of the top biggest box office bombs of all time and the biggest animated bomb of all time and it’s made by Disney?
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I love how the creators of this list just forgot Home on the Range even exists.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

PatrickvD wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:11 am I love how the creators of this list just forgot Home on the Range even exists.
It's funny, because if you look through the comments someone pointed out that some box office sites like boxofficemojo are suffering from some typos that effect what profits look like on that site. So HotR looks like it was profitable in the end, although it really wasn't. In truth HotR and Brother Bear should both probably be on this list, but I doubt whoever made it dove that deep into research. Just poor journalistic click-bait in the end.