Beauty and the Beast: Gaston and LeFou

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Beauty and the Beast: Little Town

Post by Disney Duster »

I would think watching Gaston and Le Fou being awful people for a whole series would be awfully irritating. But maybe they will show how they turned awful (before Le Fou turned good again?)? That would kind of be like some Shakespearean tragedy.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I was scratching my head over that part, too. I'd be surprised if Belle appeared in this as more than a cameo. I wonder if they're referring to a romance for LeFou (or perhaps the character he dances with at the end of the remake gets more material here)? Who knows.
The original report said that Emma Watson and Dan Stevens may return for a guest spot, so it's possible. Though I don't think they were referring to Belle with the "unconventional and modern take on the traditional Disney Princess" part. I also thought of LeFou's love interest at first, but the description says new character, so it can't be him. Perhaps a new cross-dressing or gender non-conforming character?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Luke Evans talks about the state of the TV series in a new interview:
When we spoke for the second season of The Alienist, you were in full-fledged development on the Gaston and LeFou series. You said that there had been a second and third script written and they you were hearing some of the music. How much further along are things now? Do you know when you’re actually going to start production on that?

EVANS: Yes, I do, but I’m sworn to secrecy. We are not allowed to talk about it, but it’s progressing very well. There have been some very exciting decisions made recently. Josh [Gad] and I speak on a regular basis. Disney is very excited about it. Everybody is excited about it. I think it’ll be a very entertaining journey through the past story of these characters, and also there will be many new characters that you’ve never met before, which is very exciting. It’s colored with incredible characters and creatures that we are very excited about bringing to life.
Source: https://collider.com/luke-evans-intervi ... n-spinoff/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Glenn Slater is writing the lyrics for the prequel series. That's a bit disappointing. Why not get Tim Rice back who wrote the new songs for the remake? It doesn't make any sense to me.
Alan Menken wrote:[I'm working on] the Beauty and the Beast prequel which I think the dummy title at the moment is "Little Town". It's pretty immature to give details in terms of storyline. We have a great creative team. Eddy Kitsis, Adam Horowitz, and Josh Gad are all writers and producers on this. Glenn Slater and I are writing the songs. I believe it's going to be six episodes. We're working on the pilot episode right now. We just delivered a new song. In fact, tomorrow we have a meeting to discuss that song.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXErNCqaYY
Alan Menken wrote:Right now, I spent the day working on a new song for the Beauty and the Beast prequel for Disney+.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqerkG3fNqo
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I also wish Tim Rice was brought back.

I really like much of Tim Rice's work like Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Evita.

Especially the songs in "Joseph" are particular favorites :D
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Maybe Tim Rice didn't want to commit to writing multiple songs for a television series. And if you look at his output over the last decade, Rice hasn't been as active as he used to be. Glenn Slater has become Menken's lyricist of choice and they probably got into a groove working on a musical tv series with "Galavant." It still amazes me the number of songs they were able to write per episode, each being appropriately catchy and memorable. That's no easy task.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The project may have changed title. It has gone from being referred to as Little Town to Gaston and LeFou. Between the two, I prefer Little Town. Gaston and LeFou is too descriptive. Also, the title Little Town suggested that the show was about more than just these two characters.
The studio is also developing Gaston and LeFou, a Beauty and the Beast prequel TV series for Disney+ with Luke Evans and Josh Gad reprising their roles.
Source: https://deadline.com/2021/04/kristen-wi ... 234735406/
Alan Menken wrote:This is a song I'm working on for the Beauty and the Beast prequel. The working title of the series was called Little Town. We're back to Gaston and LeFou. I'm writing songs for the pilot episode.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqerkG3fNqo
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I also preferred the title Little Town. I thought not only was it a nice, funny call back to the lyric in the original films' song, but it was more classic-sounding, more fairy tale-sounding, and more unique.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I prefer Little Town too, but if the show is about just Gaston and LeFou, maybe the new title is more fitting.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

They probably wanted to be more obvious about the focus of the show. I'm guessing the average viewer wouldn't even think of the fact that "Little Town" is a lyric taken from "Belle."
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

True, Disney's Divinity. I bet that's the reason.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Yeah the new title is definitely more straighforward and simple for the average viewer scrolling through Disney+ to understand. With Little Town some people wouldn't immediately get what it was about.

With Gaston and LeFou it's literally what the title of the show says: a show about Gaston and LeFou lol.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yup, absolutely true.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Beauty and the Beast Prequel Series Casting An Intriguing Supporting Character: Exclusive
https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/04/ ... ast-tilly/
Our sources tell us the Beauty and the Beast prequel series has a casting call out for a character named Tilly, who is a young Black woman portrayed at about 19 years old. The new character is intended to be a series regular, she is said to have great poise, an adventurous streak, and some mischief in her eyes as she tries to “write her own story.” The role also requires singing.

Additionally, the show is looking to begin filming around September of 2021 in the UK. No specific start or end date was offered.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Liesl Tommy To Direct ‘Little Town’ Limited Series for Disney+
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/06/04/li ... or-disney/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

She's playing the new character Tilly.

Beauty and the Beast Spin-Off: Briana Middleton to Join New Disney Plus Series
https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/06/ ... middleton/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This has the potential to be either really good or absolute nonsense. I’m just glad that the thirst for Disney+ content is causing Alan Menken to be composing a lot of new material. After years of being sidelined that’s a welcome change.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The limited series has been given the green light.
As fans worldwide celebrate the 30th anniversary of the beloved animated 1991 classic, Disney+ announced today the greenlight of a limited musical series, "Beauty and the Beast" (working title) from Disney Branded Television and ABC Signature. An eight-episode prequel to the 2017 live-action film, "Beauty and the Beast" will star Luke Evans ("The Alienist") and Josh Gad ("Frozen 2"), reprising their roles as Gaston and LeFou (Louie), and introduce Briana Middleton ("The Tender Bar") as Louie's stepsister, Tilly. "Beauty and the Beast'' is developed, executive-produced and written by Gad, Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz ("Once Upon a Time"), each serving as a co-showrunner. The series’ creative team also includes Tony Award-nominated director Liesl Tommy ("Eclipsed," "Respect"), who has come on board as an executive producer and will direct the first episode. The project will feature an original soundtrack from the EGOT Award-winning composer Alan Menken, who will also serve as executive producer, and lyrics for the first episode will be by Oscar-nominee Glenn Slater (“Tangled”). Production will begin in spring 2022.

Set in the iconic kingdom of "Beauty and the Beast" years before the Beast and Belle's epic romance, the series will follow Gaston and LeFou as they set off with LeFou's step-sister, Tilly, after a surprising revelation from her past comes to light, sending the unlikely trio off on an unexpected journey filled with romance, comedy, and adventure. While the mysteries of the past are uncovered and the dangers of the present grow, old friends and new enemies reveal that this familiar kingdom harbors many secrets.

“For anyone who’s ever wondered how a brute like Gaston and a goof like LeFou could have ever become friends and partners, or how a mystical enchantress came to cast that fateful spell on the prince-turned-beast, this series will finally provide those answers…and provoke a whole new set of questions,” said Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer, Disney Branded Television.

“There are few more precious gems in the Disney library than this iconic franchise, and this prequel is both a love letter to what’s come before and its own spectacular adventure,” commented Jonnie Davis, president, ABC Signature. “Josh, Eddy and Adam’s vision gives us a window into the origin of Luke’s Gaston and Josh’s LeFou with the twist of a new partner in crime—Tilly, played by the luminous Briana Middleton. This dream team would not be complete without the genius Alan Menken returning to write even more glorious music for the franchise he helped create. We’re so grateful to Gary, Ayo, Michael and everyone at Disney Branded Television and Disney+ for their unwavering support. We cannot wait to start shooting.”

“For three decades, this tale as old as time has inspired generations of fans around the world,” stated Michael Paull, president, Disney+ and ESPN+. “We can’t wait to welcome our guests back to the magical and musical world of “Beauty and the Beast” for an all new chapter with LeFou, Gaston, and a fantastic new cast of characters.”

"Beauty and the Beast" is executive produced by Gad, Kitsis, Horowitz, Menken and Tommy and produced by Evans. Gad, Kitsis and Horowitz are co-showrunners and writers for the limited series. The soundtrack will be released by Walt Disney Records.
Source: https://dmedmedia.disney.com/news/disne ... cal-series
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I looked it up and found out this is Alan Menken's second executive producer credit after "Galavant." Congrats to him!
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

When Collider had the chance to catch up with Gad in promotion of Season 2 of Central Park, we had to ask him about the plan for the show and what fans have to look forward to. "We're doing eight episodes," Gad shared, before going on to say that filming should begin early next year and that scripts are in the process of being finished. The actor, who also serves as a co-executive producer and writer on the series, almost couldn't contain his own excitement in telling us about the upcoming series.

"I can tell you right now that it is one of the most ambitious projects I've ever been a part of. Luke and I are so excited about bringing these characters back to life alongside a brilliant and unique new talent in Briana Middleton playing this incredible new character named Tilly. Liesl Tommy, who's our director, is planning to do some unbelievably ambitious things with this series as well as our showrunners, Adam [Horowitz] and Eddie [Kitsis], who are really, really, really going places I think audiences are not necessarily ready for. I cannot be more excited about this show. I think it's going to be enormously special."
Source: https://collider.com/beauty-and-the-bea ... interview/