Tangled (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Live Action Rapunzel Adaptation

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:There was a conscious effort during the production of the film to not make this feel like a musical.
I don't deny that, all I say is that the film is still a musical despite of that. And I wouldn't put all the blame on the directors. Most likely the decision was taken by the people above them after The Princess and the Frog wasn't the success they had hoped it would be. The fact that Byron Howard is now working on a musical again, this time with Lin-Manuel Miranda, proves that he at least doesn't hate musicals. Otherwise, I don't think he would've chosen that project after the success he had with Zootopia.
Last edited by D82 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I don't deny that, all I say is that the film is still a musical despite of that.
Yes, I agree with that.
D82 wrote:And I wouldn't put all the blame on the directors. Most likely the decision was taken by the people above them after The Princess and the Frog wasn't the success they had hoped it would be.
I'm not blaming the filmmakers entirely. I know it was something mandated by the studio (i.e. Lasseter). But they did not handle the situation well. I'm attributing that to the pressure of trying to make the film a success at a time where the studio blamed musicals and fairy tales for The Princess and the Frog's failure at the box office (culminating in that infamous Ed Carmull interview about Disney not doing any more fairy tales after Tangled).

By the way, Duster, "You're My Forever" was a song written for Tangled, not Glen Keane's Rapunzel. His version was not a musical.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I'm not blaming the filmmakers entirely.
I know, but some people do.
Sotiris wrote:By the way, Duster, "You're My Forever" was a song written for Tangled, not Glen Keane's Rapunzel. His version was not a musical.
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know Glen Keane's version was not a musical either.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sotiris wrote:By the way, Duster, "You're My Forever" was a song written for Tangled, not Glen Keane's Rapunzel. His version was not a musical.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. But I wish for an amalgam of Glen Keane's Rapunzel and really good classic Alan Menken tunes.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't give so much value to marketing, it's there for a few months and then it's gone and what remains is the film itself while the general audience mostly doesn't really remember how it was marketed. It's a shame that some dismiss films based on the way they were marketed when the final product is anything but the way it was marketed. I thought Tangled had a terrible marketing and the film turned out to be alright while Frozen II had a really good marketing and the film turned out to be lackluster in my opinion.
The songs in Tangled might not have been as good as they could have been, but honestly they are not that bad, just not as rememberable as Let it Go or How Far I'll Go. After rewatching TPatF the other day, I do think Tangled's songs are better than TPatF's. Moreover, after listening to Tangled's score, I think it was really good and very reminiscent of Menken's 90's scores.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I didn't know Glen Keane's version was not a musical either.
Well, the "Rapunzel: Unbraided" version that David Stainton pushed for was a musical with songs written by Jeanine Tesori (music) and Alexa Junge (lyrics). David Stainton knew them from his days at DisneyToon Studios where they had written songs for many DTV sequels including Mulan 2, Lilo and Stitch 2, Kronk's New Groove, and Ariel's Beginning. The next version after that, the serious one that was just called "Rapunzel", was not a musical.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

farerb wrote:Well I'm not excited about it. Yes it may have more music in it but does it matter if they bring actors who can't sing like they did with Emma Watson?
I don't think replacing Mandy Moore will be difficult... Besides, I don't agree with you on Emma Watson either, so that's probably why I can be excited. Even if I did, Naomi was fantastic as Jasmine and Bailey as Ariel at least has a pretty voice, so what they'll sound like is really up in the air. I don't think they cast people based on voice because they autotune everyone anyway. But this is exactly what I pointed out in the Mulan thread. People take the piss out of any other re-make, but suddenly they want Mulan to be special. This is why I just ignore the people here and say what I think regardless of all of you, because there's no consistency to what is said.
I thought about this "not trying to be a musical" thing and honestly I don't see it - Tangled has 5 songs (7 with reprises), which is pretty standard for a Disney film. The only thing missing in my opinion is a reprise of I See the Light at the end.
It has nothing to do with the number of the songs, it has to do with the directors' obvious disdain for the musical numbers in the interviews. The film is a musical in spite of them, but Menken had to work with them and that obviously impaired the music for the film. The music for the series is much better, jmo.

I think Frozen is better than the other soundtracks of the revival. I don't think Moana is any better than Tangled, but they're both better than TP&TF.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I don't care about the Mulan remake. I just find it weird to criticize its changes while being okay with other remakes' changes. I honestly think Mulan will not be good just like the rest of them. I'm sorry but they don't do anything for me nostalgia wise.
Disney's Divinity

I think I've responded to things on a case-by-case basis, instead of criticizing or praising all the remakes off the bat. Isn't that what a normal person does? *shrug* I've criticized all of the remakes over different things before Mulan.... I think Cinderella, Mulan, and The Little Mermaid are the ones I've been the most critical of. B&tB, Aladdin, and TJB are the ones I've been most positive about. Also, I don't dislike Mulan for feminist changes that I've praised in other remakes either; most of its changes have been to cater to a government, not feminists. What can I say--cutting half the cast as well as the songs just isn't the happy news for me as making Jasmine less of a fake feminist character was?

At least I'm giving my genuine opinions here, instead of simply saying the opposite of what somebody else thinks because I don't like the person. If you don't care about the re-makes, then why would you care whatever I'm saying about it--positive or negative? Unlike you, I actually have liked some of them and was looking forward to the new Mulan at one time. I only quoted the above as an example of why I don't care about being negative about Mulan when that's my reaction because Lord knows the rest of you don't mind being negative about literally everything else.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I care more about the original's reputation and how the remake is an opportunity to dismiss the original. Notice that most of my posts in this thread have been Tangled positive, but I guess that's your implication of me not giving my genuine opinions and just simply saying the opposite of what somebody else thinks because I don't like the person. Or maybe you were talking about different people because I don't dislike you.

I like Tangled - that is my genuine opinion, that's not me saying the opposite just to spite you. I think Moana's soundtrack is better than Frozen's. I'm allowed to voice my opinions even if they are different than yours. That has nothing to do with you and I think it's a little disingenuous to think people say the opposite of what you say just to spite you while you have no problem voicing opposing opinions to others as if they should not think you're doing it to spite them.

Regarding Mulan, I honestly don't?! I'm not the one that brought it in this thread.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

And anyway, to me original Mulan's strength lies in its good script and characters. To me it has one and a half good songs and that's it and Mushu always seemed like he came from a different film, which is why I feel like the lack of music and the lack of Mushu is not the thing that will "ruin" the remake. It's the disregard to who those characters were and what the original was trying to say. I expect the remake will be terrible because the filmmakers don't understand it and try to disregard it. It was the same with Aladdin and especially Beauty and the Beast, which is why I don't feel anything for them. The songs, the fixing "plot holes" and characters is just superficial nostalgia in my opinion.

The way I talk about original Mulan is no different than how I posted positivity about original Tangled. Both are not strong in music, both are strong with characters and story.
Disney's Divinity

farerb wrote:I'm allowed to voice my opinions even if they are different than yours.
Yes, that's right and it goes both ways.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
farerb wrote:I'm allowed to voice my opinions even if they are different than yours.
Yes, that's right and it goes both ways.
I never said it didn't. I wasn't the one who came here and started with some people say, these people say, those people say passive-aggresive attitude. You could have just say "I agree with this", "I disagree with that" instead of starting with that. For someone who claims to "just ignore the people here", it seems like you're being oversensitive, not me, whenever I say anything positive about Tangled or whenever I compare Moana more favorably to Frozen. That's your problem. Not mine
Disney's Divinity

Actually, you started this in the Mulan thread. I just did the same thing to you. It's uncomfortable being told what not to post, right? Besides, you're the one who claimed to hate Moana for like a week because you hated to read criticism of it, when the criticism of Moana is pretty minimal here? And I thought I was being positive about this remake because of Tangled? How is being positive about a re-make considered being negative about Tangled? The only reason to even be excited about them is for how they connect to the originals..
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I didn't personally attack you in the Mulan thread, just voicing my opinion on why I no longer feel like the changes they made, in Mulan or any other remake, are a big deal to me and why I don't feel like they can "ruin" the original because the original is available to watch anytime I want. Unlike you here, being purposefully passive aggressive towards me.

Yes I had a moment of frustration that I can't talk positively about Moana in here with anybody, so what? Did it hurt you or anyone?

And again I never said you can't be positive or negative about anything, including Tangled. It's your attitude towards me right now that I have a problem with.
Disney's Divinity

I don't feel like I do have an "attitude" with you, unless by "attitude" you mean being disgruntled over the double standards? I'm sorry if the words come across as a hateful tone. I was just pointing out you were being negative in this thread the same way you did to me in the Mulan thread. A personal attack would be me calling you stupid for having an opinion I don't like. I was just saying this is why I don't stop saying what I think because it's not like anybody cares about being "negative" in any other thread here. Why should you take special exception to me being negative about a re-make you say you don't even care about when you do the same thing with every other remake yourself? I apologize if I wasn't being clear.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

But I didn't do anything to you in the Mulan thread. The feeling I have towards the Mulan remake is the same feeling I have towards the Tangled remake. I even defended the original Mulan against the remake's filmmakers decisions and criticized them about it. Regardless of whatever changes they make either in Mulan or Tangled or any other remake, it's not a big deal cause I can watch the original anytime I want. That's it. That was my point - here or there and I don't understand how could you interpret as me having double standards or whatever. Yes I have negative thoughts on both (or all remakes), no they don't really bother me or change anything for me about the original. You took my comment in the other thread and blew it out of proportions.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

And being passive aggressive is a form of attack.
Disney's Divinity

Well, if you want to feel I'm attacking you by saying the same thing you did, there's nothing I can do about that. If anything, I thought what you said to me was worse because you were implying I was doing something immoral by criticizing a movie, insinuating things about my character that I tried to respond to as civilly as I could.
Sotiris wrote:[Glen Kean's] version was not a musical.
I didn't know that, actually. I knew Glen Keane's version was a more serious and artistic take, but I thought it would have music, too. I guess that was just an assumption because of all the comparisons made about how he wanted to make a modern Sleeping Beauty of sorts, and SB has music.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:I don't care about the Mulan remake. I just find it weird to criticize its changes while being okay with other remakes' changes. I honestly think Mulan will not be good just like the rest of them. I'm sorry but they don't do anything for me nostalgia wise.
There's a double standard with some users here about the Mulan remake in this forum for sure and now it's passed onto this thread as well. I'm still horrified that certain users were actually taking joy in the fact that the Corona virus will mean Mulan won't be a huge box office success because you know, that's the real takeaway here for some, not the thousands of innocent lives lost.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey