Percy Jackson and the Olympians (TV Series)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Percy Jackson and the Olympians (TV Series)

Post by Sotiris »

Rick Riordan, author of the Percy Jackson books, has met with the Disney+ people for a possible reboot of the Percy Jackson property.
Rick Riordan wrote:I have nothing to announce on this front yet, but I am in LA right now, trying hard to convince the powers-that-be that this needs to happen for you, the fans. Your enthusiasm online helps!
Source: https://twitter.com/rickriordan/status/ ... 3217353728
Rick Riordan wrote:Had some good meetings at Disney today. Way too early to know what if anything might happen, but I will keep at it! At least they knew me by name at the security gates! (zoom in on my nametag to see what I mean)
Source: https://twitter.com/rickriordan/status/ ... 7229441024
Skyler Shuler wrote:Earlier this year before the merger was finalized, I was told by a reliable source that Disney had some interest in the project as the studio felt they can make this there very own Game of Thrones for a younger audience. Which would make a ton of sense. Until then we have to wait and see what happens.
Source: https://thedisinsider.com/2019/12/13/pe ... e-horizon/
Skyler Shuler wrote:When the Disney/Fox merger was in the beginning stages last year Percy Jackson was an obvious franchise Disney had tons of interest in. It was only a matter of time before they started discussing the idea of a series or film.
Source: https://twitter.com/SkylerShuler/status ... 4512650241
Percy Jackson could return to the screen in the near future in the form of a TV series made for streaming, as We Got This Covered has heard that there are plans afoot to adapt Rick Riordan’s books starring the teenage demi-god in a new format. Our sources – the same ones who told us Marvel was developing Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk series for Disney Plus – are currently unclear, however, about which streaming service the show will ultimately land on. From what we’re hearing, this upcoming TV show will be a complete reboot of the franchise and won’t follow on from these earlier movies.
Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/percy-j ... tv-series/
Our sources – the same ones who revealed that Bill Murray was returning for Ghostbusters 3 and that a new Ace Ventura movie is in the works, which trusted insider Daniel Richtman has recently corroborated – are telling us that the first season of the show will be based off Riordan’s first installment in the series, The Lightning Thief. And in contrast to the 2010 movie version, directed by Harry Potter‘s Chris Columbus, it’ll be much more faithful to the novel. In particular, we’re told that the leads will be more age-appropriate, with 12-year-old teens expected to be cast as Percy and his pals, Annabeth and Grover. The studio is likely to opt for unknown young actors, too. From what we understand, the Percy Jackson TV show is likely headed to Disney Plus and if it’s successful, it should spawn several seasons, as there are five books in The Olympians series.
Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/percy-j ... ul-movies/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Percy Jackson Revival

Post by UmbrellaFish »

This smells like a potential hit for Disney+.
Disney's Divinity

Re: Percy Jackson Revival

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I enjoyed the first five books (PJ & the Olympians). I haven't followed the follow-up / sequel series though. I hope they do make a series out of it even if it's Disney+ only.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Re: Percy Jackson Reboot

Post by DC Fan »

I also read the first 4 books...need to get the 5th and star again...and liked them. I also liked the movies; the second being the much better one. And when it was owned by Fox I didn´t mind. I love Greek mythology and although, obviously similar to Harry Potter, back then there was no Fantastic Beasts movies being made (and when done more will follow for sure) so it wasn´t a direct competition in that sense and I felt that the author didn´t plan for this series to be in scope with the one from Harry Potter. He knew he couldn´t compete and was a "light version" of it...if it makes any sense.

However, now that Disney owns Fox I wouldn´t want it to come back. And as a TV series Disney would do it similar to what they do with their Disney channel shows.

And I don´t want it to come back because enough is enough for Disney. They can´t own/compete in everything. Yes, I´m obviously a DC fan yet I didn´t mind that Disney put together (not by buying companies however) Marvel as it´s fair that if WB owns the entire DC Comics company Marvel should have benefited from that too. But this is an obvious way to compete directly with WB/Wizarding World that at some point it has to end.

...and, again, if it was just Marvel and now Percy Jackson I wouldn´t mind. But Disney is also Pixar, Star Wars, now the movies/franchises from Fox and so on.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney has always owned the book rights anyway so it's only fair that they get a chance to produce the films after Fox mucked them up (like they did with the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Daredevil).

Ever since the Disney buyout, fans have been asking Rick Riordan if he can cut a deal with Disney to make new installments. I know he's been working tirelessly for this since he was pretty disappointed by the Fox films as much as the fans were. I've always loved these books and I think I've posted before about how this would be a fresh new property for Disney especially since Riordan is always adding to it. Disney+ would be a great home.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I have to lol at We Got This Covered pretending this is a major scoop on their part when Rick Riordan is already spilling the beans about discussions happening at Disney.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:I have to lol at We Got This Covered pretending this is a major scoop on their part when Rick Riordan is already spilling the beans about discussions happening at Disney.
If you check the dates, they reported on the Percy Jackson reboot months before Rick Riordan mentioned it on Twitter. They're really weak when it comes to scoops about Disney remakes (they have a "source" who keeps telling them nonsense), but they do occasionally get things right about other stuff.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Is this really true ? :?

Beacuse if it is i feel like literally hit the jackpot just as i finished the first book The Lighting Theif and loved it ! So much in fact i gave it five star on audible. Ans was i bit sad beacuse i tought that we would never get a secend adaption apetmt ever ! And than i read this and become SO happy rotfl

It's like Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events all over agian i get into a YA book but get sad beacuse the movie franchisee was cut short in that case just one movie. And than i learn about new adapation for streaming !! I feel so lucky ! :D

Epect while it took two years after i got into the books by Daniel Handler for that Netflix show to be announced hear this (hopefully true news) literally a few days after i finshed the frist book. :dance:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I loved Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

As for Percy Jackson, I never even bothered to watch the movies because they were rightfully so panned by critics and especially fans. They changed practically everything and Rick Riordan has chronicled his issues with Fox over the making of the first film and how they basically rejected all his help and suggestions. He also explained what a lot of people didn't know which is that authors rarely have any impact on film adaptations and even someone like JK Rowling really doesn't have much clout.
ImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It’s official, a Percy Jackson series is in development at Disney+

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/percy- ... 234607010/

I was a casual reader, not a big fan but this is one of those “it’s so obvious why wasn’t this in development for launch” projects for Disney+ that I’m happy they’ve finally got it right.

Now do Gargoyles.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I would have preferred they continued adapting the rest of the novels as feature films, but a series reboot seems interesting as well.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I actually prefer a reboot. The books were good, but not on HP or LOTR level of seriousness. They had some drama mixed with a great deal of comedy, and the films I saw weren't really that funny... So, I think I prefer a reboot myself.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Finally! Never bothered with the films because of how awful they were. I really felt this was prime material for Disney+ and I've heard that Disney feels they have a dearth of new material (which is also why they released Hamilton early) so this should remedy that. Hope they reconsider Kingdom Keepers as well.
ImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The author of the Percy Jackson books has been fairly vocal about his disappointment with how the movies turned out. He will have a lot more creative involvement in the Disney+ series, which is why they're not continuing where the last movie left off.

I saw the first movie about five years ago when I decided to marathon a bunch of Chris Columbus movies and I thought it was...fine. I found it to be an interesting take on the Greek mythology. But I've never read the books and it apparently changed a lot, so I understand why fans of the source material didn't care for the film. So I'm happy the book's readers will get to see an adaptation that's more faithful.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I've always loved how honest Rick Riordan was about the films and his negative experience working with Fox, explaining that pretty much no writer has any say in movie adaptations of their books (JK Rowling being the big exception). He's long been an advocate for a more faithful adaptation particularly with Disney at the helm so I'm glad he fulfilled the wishes of his fans this way.

It always shocked me that Chris Columbus made such a faithful adaptation of the first two Harry Potter books but then he was also responsible for a film that bore little resemblance to The Lightning Thief. I guess it was executive interference like Riordan said.
ImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:It’s official, a Percy Jackson series is in development at Disney+

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/percy- ... 234607010/

I was a casual reader, not a big fan but this is one of those “it’s so obvious why wasn’t this in development for launch” projects for Disney+ that I’m happy they’ve finally got it right.

Now do Gargoyles.
THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY :D :D :D :D :D

And i have only listind to the frist book !

I can't imagine how people who have read ALL books are !!

I have ADHD and Dylexia like Percy himself by the way :)
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

So excited to hear this news. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief stands with Avatar: the Last Airbender as the worst adaptation of a source material I have ever seen. Rebooting was the only way to go. Hopefully with Rick working with the show runners we can finally get a decent adaptation.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Widdi wrote:So excited to hear this news. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief stands with Avatar: the Last Airbender as the worst adaptation of a source material I have ever seen. Rebooting was the only way to go. Hopefully with Rick working with the show runners we can finally get a decent adaptation.
And Avatar is getting a new live-action Netflix adaptation so I'm so glad Percy Jackson is getting a second chance as well. Narnia as well, although I loved the two Disney films and wish Disney had continued the franchise.
ImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I loved the frist book !! :) :)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

The first film is available on Disney+ now. I avoided that film like the plague after realizing how little in common it had with the book and especially after Rick Riordan denounced it. I think I'll give it a watch now though just to see how bad it really is.
ImageImage