Once Upon a Snowman

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Once Upon a Snowman

Post by Sotiris »

Disney knows what Frozen fans want. More Olaf, of course! :lol: A new short about Olaf's origins is debuting on October 23, 2020 on Disney+. For more info, check the press release.

Logo.

Source: https://dmedmedia.disney.com/disney-plu ... -a-snowman

Poster.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyFrozen/p ... 9109026028

Poster design by Trent Correy.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFfPUqQDveL/

Soundtrack.

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyMusic/status/ ... 4829027331
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Once Upon a Snowman

Post by Farerb »

Mmmmm... I wonder why they release it on October 23rd... What else is going to be released that day? Interesting.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Eh. I love Olaf and I'm very happy we're finally seeing how he's made! :D
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

farerb wrote:Mmmmm... I wonder why they release it on October 23rd... What else is going to be released that day? Interesting.
I assume this is a reference to Glen Keane's "Over the Moon", although Sony Animation also currently has "Connected" set to open in theatres that day (but like any theatrical release this year, that's not a guarantee).

So animation fans will have plenty of content to enjoy that day.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

I buy that shit! :lol: Everything Frozen-related always got me excited. I'm weak.
Plus, it will logically happens during the first movie timeline, so this is perfect really.
Sotiris wrote:Disney knows what Frozen fans want. More Olaf, of course! :lol:
Oh yeah, I too see the problem here. But as long as Olaf remains a character that speaks so much to children, honestly what else do you expect Disney to do??...
(Though here if this short has to be about Olaf and it shows what happens to him between the moment Elsa gives him life and till Olaf gets acquainted with Anna and Kristoff, it isn't 100% uninsteresting for Frozen fans of every age.) I can definitively imagine the short beginning with a partition of 'Let it Go' and hear the music fades away as the camera remains focused on Olaf and Elsa is taking her distances.
farerb wrote:Mmmmm... I wonder why they release it on October 23rd... What else is going to be released that day? Interesting.
It's one week before The Mandalorian Season 2 begins. So there's something interesting for everyone I suppose.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Clindor wrote:Oh yeah, I too see the problem here. But as long as Olaf remains a character that speaks so much to children, honestly what else do you expect Disney to do?
I understand they want to keep the Frozen franchise alive but there's so much more they can do other than Olaf shorts. I doubt anyone new will subscribe to get access to Olaf content. I get that a Hans short is out of the question, but there's a three-year gap between Frozen 1 and 2. There's tons of potential for stories between that time frame for the whole gang.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Sotiris wrote:I doubt anyone new will subscribe to get access to Olaf content.
I pretty sure some parents use Disney+ as (if I dare say that well) a "babysitter"! to keep their kids occupied for moments they cannot look after them.
I think Disney knowns that parents is an important pourcentage of who is spending money for the app.
That's why I think a short with Olaf is a very safe asset for them: I think this is kind of a no-brainer.
Sotiris wrote:I get that a Hans short is out of the question
Yeah, kind of a shame hey? They could make something very funny out of this ^^
Sotiris wrote:There's a tons of potential for stories between that timeframe for the whole gang.
Yeah, I see your point. Sotiris, did you hope for maybe something more like Frozen Fever or Olaf's Frozen Adventure to happen ?
I think they're fine! Yet 5min/25min is a short time to settle real drama.
Last edited by Clindor on Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I used to like Olaf in the beginning and I actually think this short makes sense because it is similar to the Pixar shorts that show what happens to another character during the film when they are not shown. However, the overexposure of Olaf kind of killed him for me, especially during Frozen II. I also don't like the fact that this will never get a Blu-ray release since I have the other films on Blu-ray.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

farerb wrote:I used to like Olaf in the beginning [...] However, the overexposure of Olaf kind of killed him for me, especially during Frozen II.
Same here. With the first Frozen my point of view is that Josh Gad kind of achieved the miracle to take a character that is obvious aimed to be the comic relief for children (like Abu in Aladdin, Meeko in Pocahontas, the gargoyles in Hunchback of Notre Dame, other characters I'm not too much supposed to talk about in Raya... and so forth) and makes him resonate for adults too. That's also one of the reasons why the first Frozen is so blessed in my opinion. But with Frozen II, the humour was waaaaay more driven to appeal to children. Josh Gad's improvisations weren't as good and more random.
(I really appreciated Olaf's Frozen Adventure though, and it was with this one I was expecting Olaf to have a more childish attitude: but at the end no!)

I don't know what will happen with this one. Since the timeline belongs to the 1st Frozen.
farerb wrote:I also don't like the fact that this will never get a Blu-ray release since I have the other films on Blu-ray.
I think they could make another Blu-ray set which will reunite the Short Circuit shorts and this one at a later time. Also the other shorts they omitted to include in the 2015 release.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

While I`ve never resented the Frozen shorts priorly, I`ve now starting to become sick of them. Mostly due to the sheer overexposure of the Frozen franchise and how they`ve kept the juggernaut alive through these shorts. I actually happen to like Olaf, but he`s already starred in shorts priorly. Why not try to bring something new to the table?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

As you all know, I love Olaf, so personally I don't have a problem with him getting another short. And I like that it will show events that take place during the first movie but we didn't get to see. The poster is nice too. In the article disneyprincess11 shared in the Frozen 2 thread, it says the idea for this short started when they were making the first movie, so I guess it could've been initially planned as a short for the home video release. It certainly seems similar to other shorts of that type.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

According to whatsondisneyplus.com, the following programs will be released alongside OUaS:
Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom – Episode Five – Betty and the Beast
The Right Stuff – Episode 4
Weird But True – Episode 311 – Scuba Diving
One Day At Disney Short – Episode 147 (subject TBA)
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Honestly the only thing that interests me about this is that maybe, hopefully, we might get to see more of the human characters again, and as they were in the original film, not post Frozen 2 where their characters are very different. If the short is just a newly born Olaf stumbling around in the snow... didn't we just get like 20 new Olaf shorts? :shrug:
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Some clips of Once Upon a Snowman are in there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl97ugaAxsg
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Three stills from the short and a book cover:

Source: https://dtcimedia.disney.com/disney-plu ... man/images

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Untitled-Frozen- ... ref=sr_1_1

Clindor wrote:Some clips of Once Upon a Snowman are in there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl97ugaAxsg
I like the moment where Elsa throws her cape over Olaf. It happens very fast in that trailer, so it's easy to miss. It's easier to see it here.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A very brief new clip can be found, here.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:A very brief new clip can be found, here.
It seems a recurring joke will be that Olaf will be very close to other characters from the movie but something will always get in the way that will prevent him from meeting them.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:It seems a recurring joke will be that Olaf will be very close to other characters from the movie but something will always get in the way that will prevent him from meeting them.
Yeah, it seems that way. I find that type of comedic bit boring. Hopefully, there will be more to the short than that. By the way, the trailer for the short will be released on October 18th during the virtual Frozen Fan Fest.
On October 18th, you’re invited to tune-in on for the first-ever “Frozen” Virtual Playdate hosted by Ayesha Curry. The event will feature an entire day’s worth of new and curated content you can enjoy right from the comfort of your own home, complete with digital adventures and immersive activities featuring exciting new product offerings inspired by “Frozen 2.” Right when you thought it couldn’t get any better – you’ll also get an exclusive first-look at the trailer for “Once Upon a Snowman,” the new short from Walt Disney Animation Studios, coming to Disney+ on October 23.
Source: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/ ... ctober-18/
The Frozen Virtual Playdate lineup boasts activities that will appeal to Frozen fans of all ages, from a sing-a-long and a choreographed dance lesson to an American Sign Language tutorial of “Show Yourself” and the unique opportunity to learn how to draw Olaf with Trent Correy and Dan Abraham, the directors of Once Upon a Snowman.
Source: https://d23.com/frozen-fan-fest-returns ... -playdate/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

A brief clip from the short has previewed on GMA. Another clip can also be seen in the same video while Josh Gad is being interviewed.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »