Comparing Home Releases Cover Arts

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Re: Comparing Home Releases Cover Arts

Post by Jules »

Marce82 wrote:Bahahahah... .that Brazilian lenticular cover is a freakin joke! That drawing of Giselle is a disaster!
The funny thing is doesn't look like the Giselle in-film animated character, nor like Amy Adams!

Just realised it is traced directly off the standard Amy Adams photograph that adorns so many other covers. I guess it must have been tricky transcribing the caricatured animated Giselle design to realistic proportions without budging an inch. It does seem like a slavish tracing and nothing else. Would the instruction to trace come from Disney themselves, or would it be a decision taken by the Brazilian branch of WDHE?

I'm rather curious how these things work.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

1. Collector's Edition DVD (France) - I love the art, it's perfect, and it captures the movie's essence perfectly
2. Original DVD - Loved it since the moment I saw it for the first time
3. Blu-ray Slipcover (UK) - Such a classy cover, reminds of TLM's teaser poster for the 1997 re-issue
4. Lenticular Cover (Brazil) - I never saw this one before
5. Target Exclusive Bonus DVD - I have always liked that image of Giselle
6. Royal Wedding Collection - I wouldn't have put that horrendous grey border around the art, it looks awful. They could have put a sticker instead
7. Villains Cover - That green background ruins it, they should have made it dark blue
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

1. Blu-ray Slipcover (UK) ~ Simple and classic, a great shot.
2. Target Exclusive Bonus DVD ~ Giselle coming out of the sewer manhole is a great idea for a cover.
3. Collector's Edition (France) ~ This one gets the plot of the film across very well. I particularly like how they had a castle opposite a skyscraper.
--- I really love all three of these. Even the Villains Cover is pretty good, surprisingly!
4. Villains Cover (UK)
5. Lenticular Cover (Brazil) ~ I like the idea of a alternate version of the cover where the characters are animated instead of live-action, but Giselle looks pretty rough. Actually, I think that would've been a great slipcover idea. The outside cover has the characters are animated, you pull it up and the characters are live-action. :lol:
6. Royal Wedding Collection
7. DVD
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Enchanted, my favorite live-action Disney movie after Cinderella!:
1. Blu-ray Slipcover (UK) - It would only be even better if it was like that cover I once saw with Narissa looking over Giselle and Giselle in that same pose she has on this cover. I don't know if it was fan-made but it was perfect. Oh well, this is still the best of the covers. So elegant and Classic.
2. Collector's Edition (France) - If only it was executed better with an actual matching pose of Giselle and no Narissa.
3. DVD

I feel those are the only good ones.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Mary Poppins Returns:

4K UHD:

Best Buy Steelbook:

Target Exclusive:

4K UHD (UK):

Limited Slipcover (UK):

Zavvi Steelbook (UK):

2-Movie Collection (UK):

Blu-ray Combo (Mexico):

4K UHD (Japan):

2-Movie Collection (Japan):

Steelbook (Korea):

DVD (Korea):

Blu-ray (Korea):
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

What beautiful covers! I will just list the ones I think look the best.

Mary Poppins Returns:
1. Zavvi Steelbook (UK)/DVD (Korea) - I can't tell if the Korean one is better or not because it's partly hidden. But I have always thought this poster artwork was mad gorgeous.
2. Best Buy Steelbook
3. 4K UHD (UK)
4. Blu-ray Combo (Mexico)
5. Steelbook (Korea)
6. Target Exclusive
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I don't think any of the covers are bad- they're all pretty decent. But my most-favorites are:

1. Best Buy Steelbook / Zavvi Steelbook (UK) / DVD (Korea)
2. Blu-ray Combo (Mexico)
3. 2-Movie Collection (Japan) / Steelbook (Korea)

(and farerb, thanks so much for compiling all of these- it's just really neat to see all the different covers)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

You're welcome, I also get a lot of help from D82 :)
blackcauldron85

:clap: Yes, BIG thanks to D82 as well!!! It's such an enjoyable thread, and it's like a Disney time capsule!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

You're very welcome, blackcauldron85! :) I just send Farerb some of the international covers; Farerb does most of the job. And I agree, it's a very enjoyable thread for me too. I love revisiting the old covers and discovering new ones. For example, there was a Bedknobs and Broomsticks cover I hadn't seen since my childhood. It was actually the first thing I saw about the film, so for me it was very special, but I had actually forgotten it existed. I was so happy to see it again. It's the one below, by the way. Same with many others.

Jules wrote:
Marce82 wrote:Bahahahah... .that Brazilian lenticular cover is a freakin joke! That drawing of Giselle is a disaster!
The funny thing is doesn't look like the Giselle in-film animated character, nor like Amy Adams!

Just realised it is traced directly off the standard Amy Adams photograph that adorns so many other covers. I guess it must have been tricky transcribing the caricatured animated Giselle design to realistic proportions without budging an inch. It does seem like a slavish tracing and nothing else. Would the instruction to trace come from Disney themselves, or would it be a decision taken by the Brazilian branch of WDHE?

I'm rather curious how these things work.
While I was searching for covers for Enchanted, I came across these lenticular cards, which feature the same artwork; that proves it wasn't made by Disney Brazil. By the way, the Brazilian cover also has the characters both in animation and live-action. I think it's quite a good idea for a cover, but I agree about Giselle. Edward and Narissa look good because the artist used drawings taken directly from the film. I guess they didn't find any moment in it where Giselle has a similar pose as the one in the cover and that's why they decided to trace her. It's a shame they didn't do a better job at that because it ruins the whole cover. It reminds me of how Hercules was drawn in the Spanish VHS of the film.

Speaking of Enchanted, I think the interior of the French Collector's Edition is also quite cool:

Image Image
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I know some people wanted the DTV or the remakes, but truthfully I'm not really interested in them, so if anyone wants to continue and do them that's fine by me...
Disney's Divinity

1. Target Exclusive
2. 4K UHD / 2-Movie Collection
3. 4K UHD (UK)
4. Blu-ray Combo (Mexico)
5. 2-Movie Collection (Japan) / Steelbook (Korea) ~ I've never seen this one before. Generally, I prefer her to have her blue coat on in the covers to the red dress.
6. Blu-ray (Korea)
7. Limited Slipcover (UK)
8. 4K UHD (Japan)
9. DVD (Korea) > Best Buy Steelbook > Zavvi Steelbook (UK) ~ I always hated these covers.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

farerb wrote:I know some people wanted the DTV or the remakes, but truthfully I'm not really interested in them, so if anyone wants to continue and do them that's fine by me...
It's odd. I've watched just a few of the DTVs and yet that is a cover retrospective I'd really look forward to, lol. If only because of the humorous possibilities in the discussion. I would certainly tune in when Belle's Magical World and Cinderella II come up! Haha :lol:

About 15 years ago, when I was still new here I recall creating a thread asking what kind of new threads get people's attention. :P A guy called creid chimed in and gave me a list of possible thread titles that he said were guaranteed to get eyeballs.

One of those was "CINDERELLA II IS A MASTERPIECE" rotfl

I did once indulge in a click-baity thread title many years back. I don't remember what the thread was about, but I titled it "MY KITTENS ARE DYING!!!!!" It worked, lol.
Disney's Divinity

It's a shame you don't want to do the DTV covers since you did a good job, farerb, but I guess I can understand. There's probably a lot of work involved. I don't know if blackcauldron85 is still interested like they'd said in the past or not? If not, it was a good thread while it lasted.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney's Divinity wrote:It's a shame you don't want to do the DTV covers since you did a good job, farerb, but I guess I can understand. There's probably a lot of work involved. I don't know if blackcauldron85 is still interested like they'd said in the past or not? If not, it was a good thread while it lasted.
Thank you.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, thank you for all you have done for this thread, farerb. It really is a great thread. I really couldn't do the DTV and live-action remake covers myself, but I'd love for someone to do them.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Thank you.
blackcauldron85

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't know if blackcauldron85 is still interested like they'd said in the past or not? If not, it was a good thread while it lasted.
Yes, I'm still willing to, but my issue is for some reason I can't have images shown in the post, just links to them. I used to be able to back in the day. So if someone could give me pointers on that, I would appreciate it and can start on the other film covers!!
Disney's Divinity

I've always thought that you take a link that ends in .jpg or .png and then put it inbetween [img]right%20here[/img]? That doesn't work for you anymore? If not, I'm not sure what the problem could be. :?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I usually upload them here https://postimages.org/ and then copy and paste each inside the "img" tag.