DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:37 pm 
Collector's Edition

Sometimes a movie that takes place hundreds of years ago contains elements from present day. For instance when Merlin returns from vacation The Sword in the Stone, when the Genie in Aladdin is seen with a Goofy cap or transform into a modern news reporter with microphone and everything, and in Hercules when he holds up an action figure of himself.

And don't know about others, but personally I feel like they take you out of the movie. Walt Disney talked about the plausible impossible, or suspension of disbelief, but that requires that the illusion is not broken.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:11 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I don't mind them when they're justified, like in the cases of the Genie and Merlin, given that they're magical characters that supposedly can travel through time. Also if the tone of the whole movie allows for these kind of jokes to happen, like in Hercules. However, I didn't like the Twitter reference in Moana, for example. It didn't make sense in my opinion. Also, one downside of them is that some of the jokes can become outdated over time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:19 am 
Collector's Edition

I actually don' t remember any twitter reference in Moana. Brad Bird complained that the disco scene in Aristocats and the use of the word "groovy" felt out of place, but I saw that movie first as a small kid and never questioned it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:23 am 
Collector's Edition

I don't like when characters act in the 21st century mentality when they are not supposed to. For instance Elsa saying "you can't marry a guy you just met". It feels very anachronistic.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:32 am 
Collector's Edition

Modern day talking and thinking could have that effect too. (And the movie also makes me remember the musical number with Olaf, where he is surrounded by modern objects like sunglasses and pool toys.)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:30 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
I actually don' t remember any twitter reference in Moana. Brad Bird complained that the disco scene in Aristocats and the use of the word "groovy" felt out of place, but I saw that movie first as a small kid and never questioned it.

Oh. It’s when Maui writes his autograph on Moana’s oar using Hei-Hei. He says, “When you use a bird to write, it’s called tweeting.”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

^Yes, that's the joke I was referring to.

farerb wrote:
I don't like when characters act in the 21st century mentality when they are not supposed to. For instance Elsa saying "you can't marry a guy you just met". It feels very anachronistic.

I don't like that either. I appreciate they want to give good messages for today's audiences and I know it's an imaginary kingdom, so they can take some liberties. But I agree that things like that just feel too anachronistic. In my opinion, they should respect the time period a bit more and find other ways of conveying the same message.