DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Jim Hill writes in an article:

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... stmas.aspx

Quote:
In late 1990 -- Peter Schneider, the then-head of Disney Feature Animation, made a call to Ed Catmull and said "Okay. We're now willing to consider the idea of hiring Pixar to come make an animated feature for Walt Disney Studios. So do you guys want to come down here and pitch us some story ideas?"

Of course, Ed was thrilled by Peter's offer. The only problem was ... The folks at Pixar had yet come up with a viable concept for a full-length CG feature. Oh, sure. There was all that development work that had been done on aborted projects like "Monkey" and "James and the Giant Peach." But Schneider was going to want something solid, something that would play to Disney's core audience of kids & families.

Did they really have plans about making James and the Giant Peach.

How much can we trust the article? Well, he writes; "Lasseter took Ranft's story suggestion and ran with it. Over 1989, John talked with Joe, Pete and Andrew Stanton about how they might revisit the world of "Tin Toy." But Pete Docter and Andres Stanton didn't arrive at Pixar before 1990. But it's correct that Pixar was drying to make a movie called "Monkey" before they gave up.

Also, it would have been interesting to know the exact dates; when was Pixar approached by a TV-network, and what network was it that wanted them to make a 30 minutes holiday species ("A Tin Toy Christmas")? And was it Disney who got in contact with Pixar, or the other way around, when Pixar suggested a feature film? And when did it happen?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:21 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I probably haven't read a Jim Hill article since my teens (or a little bit later) but I don't recall his writing being unreliable. Perhaps he makes some superficial errors but normally gets his facts right.

I seem to recall that some would mock his news articles many years back. Nevertheless, I recall Floyd Norman contributing to his site, and if someone of Norman's integrity felt comfortable writing for him then I tend to trust him, even if the articles can seem as if they were written in haste and without much proofreading (at least that's impression I always got.)

Off-topic, but Rumpelstiltskin, are you American or from Europe? I have always perceived you as European (specifically German) but without mention of your location beneath your avatar I can never be sure. :P If you are not comfortable revealing your nationality please do not feel pressured to do so. I won't take offence. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:12 pm 
Limited Edition

That's my impression as well. Which mean there could be at least one Pixar project that was abandoned which has been mentioned little or not at all by media in general.

I am European, but not German, despite the Brothers Grimm inspired name. There should be some clues about my nationality in some of my posts, but I prefer not to reveal it. Partly because I don't want have some special bond with fellow countrymen based on nationality alone, and because I think it's who you are in a forum that counts when you're active there, not who you are in real life. I don't mind if others wants to share information, even if I'm don't have a personal interest in stuff like age, physical appearence and general background (except if they used to work on certain movies or TV-shows, and can share some stories from back then).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:31 am 
Platinum Edition

Disney bought the rights to the J&tGP story in 1992 (https://variety.com/2016/film/news/roal ... 201806205/); reading this Variety article, I wonder if the Dahl estate would have allowed Pixar (or Disney) to have the rights for their version.

(I've always been a Jim Hill Media fan; I still go back and read old articles often.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:23 am 
Limited Edition

Yes, Jim Hill often have, or had, Disney related info worth reading.
Interesting article, but Hill is referring to a projects before Pixar decided which story to use for their first feature ever, which happened before 1992.

Should Pixar ever show interest in doing James and the Giant Peach, hypothetically speaking, I can't imagine that the Roald Dahl estate would mind as long as they didn't take too many liberties. Just wish the movie that was made had been all animation, and not a mix between animation and live action.