Chip 'n' Dale: Park Life

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Chip 'n' Dale: Park Life

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's rebooting the property with a new animated TV show for Disney+.
Everyone’s favorite trouble-making chipmunks—Chip ‘n’ Dale—are making mischief in a brand-new Disney+ original series. It was just revealed at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival that Chip ‘n’ Dale is currently in production for Disney+. The seven-minute episodes will chronicle the beloved little critters’ adventures in the big city through nonverbal, classic-style comedy. Disney’s London-based animation team partnered with the award-winning Parisian production studio Xilam Animation to develop the series, which combines a traditional style of animation with contemporary, comedic narratives. Jean Cayrol directs Chip ‘n’ Dale, and Marc du Pontavice serves as producer.
Source: https://d23.com/chip-n-dale-original-se ... sney-plus/

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyFR/status/1138470966596648960
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Chip 'n' Dale (TV Series)

Post by Nandor »

Ew.
That is all.
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm not at all a fan of this art style even if it is 2D.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This is why I prefer live-action remakes/reboots of classic Disney properties over animated ones.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^yeah I just cant get into shows with this Cal Arts style. I wish they'd stop using this style already.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here are more details:
The 39 seven minute episodes will feature the return of everyone’s favorite chipmunk troublemakers in non-verbal, classic comedy stylings.

Each of the 39 shorts will follow the ups and downs of the cutest chipmunks around living life in the big city. Combining a traditional style of animation with contemporary, comedic narratives, Chip ‘n’ Dale is directed by Jean Cayrol and produced by Marc du Pontavice.
Source: https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2019/06/11 ... y-in-2020/

I got very excited when I read the title of the thread, but when I saw the still all my excitement disappeared. I'm not a fan of this art style either. Also, I guess these shorts will be similar to the Mickey Mouse ones, and I don't like that kind of humor either.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's so sad Disney keeps defiling their classic characters this way at a time when even Warners has seen the light and went traditional for their new Looney Tunes shorts. They just released the first one and the result is quite impressive. If they can pull this off, why can't Disney?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Wow, I didn't know of these new Looney Tunes shorts, they look quite good. I wish Disney had done something similar with this show.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I'm personally of the opinion that there's nothing wrong with experimenting with the art style and trying new things with the characters. I love the classic Mickey Mouse shorts and I have a certain nostalgic soft spot for "Mouse Works" and "House of Mouse", but I also really dig what Paul Rudish did with the characters. It was different, but still great.

If the team behind the "Chip n Dale" shorts want to give a new spin on the chipmunks and give them a new look, while also introducing those characters to a new generation, then I say, go for it! Animation can't evolve if we reject new artistic styles and order animators and character designers to stay traditional all of the time. I think animation's potential gets limited if we say "you can only do this" or "you can never do this", when the beauty of animation and character design is it can be and look like anything the artist wants.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

First of all, people are entitled to dislike a certain art style and vice versa. Claiming that people are not enlightened enough or that they're holding animation back if they don't share your perspective is self-righteous and absurd. Second, this art style is not experimental. It's a decade-long standard for Western TV animation. It wasn't chosen because filmmakers were trying to be creative and original but because it's cheap and commercial. Third, if they wanted to try something outside the Disney house style, they could have done so with a new property instead of using established characters that already have a specific look set in stone. Besides, these reboots are nothing more than cynical ploys to exploit recognizable IP. Whether or not they turn out to be "good" is subjective and irrelevant.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I understand your point of view, estefan, but personally, I like for each studio to keep its own identity and general style of animation. Especially when it comes to their classic characters, like Sotiris said. I agree that they need to experiment and evolve, but within certain limits. I think they do quite a good job in that regard with their animated features, even though they're now in 3D. And in TV shows like Tangled: The Series or DuckTales, even though the style of animation of is a bit different for them, it still feels like Disney. In this case it doesn't, at least not for me.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:It's so sad Disney keeps defiling their classic characters this way at a time when even Warners has seen the light and went traditional for their new Looney Tunes shorts. They just released the first one and the result is quite impressive. If they can pull this off, why can't Disney?
I really like those new Looney Tunes shorts. I'll be sure to check them out so thanks for posting. I wish Disney did shorts that hearken back to the classic style like these.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Wow, this looks hideous. Definitely not something that would inspire me to get Disney+.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New synopsis. There are 36 episodes in total.
The new series finds the dichotomous duo—the nervous worrier Chip and laid-back dreamer Dale—living in a small park within a bustling metropolis where everyone is seemingly bigger than they are.
Source: https://d23.com/stream-on-disney-plus-2020/
Academy Award-nominated French animation studio Xilam Animation’s brand new original series Chip ‘n’ Dale: Park Life (36 x 7’) and Oggy Oggy (156 x 7’) are launching worldwide this summer on the prominent global platforms Disney+ and Netflix respectively.
Source: https://www.totallicensing.com/xilam-an ... platforms/
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Honestly more excited for the upcoming live action Rescue Rangers movie than this show by a long shot :roll: . But that's just a taste thing and i don't mind to be mean just truthful. :) :wink:
Sotiris

Re: Chip 'n' Dale: Park Life

Post by Sotiris »

It looks like they've tweaked the character designs.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyPlus/pho ... 1395093548
Chip 'n' Dale: Park Life (Series Premiere) — Friday, July 23

"Chip 'n' Dale: Park Life" follows two tiny troublemakers trying to live the good life in a big city park while having giant-sized, sky-high adventures. Disney’s beloved chipmunks, nervous worrier Chip and laid-back dreamer Dale, make the perfect odd couple. They’re best buddies and they drive each other nuts! In their perpetual pursuit of acorns, these ultimate underdogs are joined by Pluto, Butch, and other iconic Disney characters as they face down bullies great and small. Combining classic-style cartoon comedy with contemporary storytelling, the 36 seven-minute episodes are directed by Jean Cayrol and produced by Marc du Pontavice at Xilam Animation.
Source: https://dmedmedia.disney.com/news/disne ... press-tour
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

I feel like this is just the current trend for a lot of animated work these days. It's not what we grew up with, and is likely geared more towards today's kids for the art style. I feel like the last decade or so (roughly) things are more hyper-active, fast paced, gogogogogogo in order to keep up with today's generation.

I'm not a huge fan of how it looks, but I'll wait and give it a watch first regardless. It's nice to see the characters are still being used, though part of me had hoped this would be set in Disneyland after reading "Park Life" Alas.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Whoa, they look absolutely horrible! They almost look Cartoon Network-like (with the kind of animation style that Dexter`s Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls were made of)! Absolutely cheap and horrendous!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

DisneyFan09 wrote:They almost look Cartoon Network-like (with the kind of animation style that Dexter`s Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls were made of)!
Chip n Dale has the animation style of Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken shows? Count me in!
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland