Hercules (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Hercules (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Courting Michael B. Jordan or Taron Egerton For The ‘Hercules’ Live-Action Remake
https://knightedgemedia.com/2021/01/dis ... on-remake/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I like Michael B. Jordan. I hope he gets it.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I haven't seen Rocketman, but from his Wikipedia page, Egerton looks like he can sing to some degree? At first I thought he was a weird choice to be considering, because he didn't look muscled like Jordan does, so I looked at more pictures of him on Google and he does look pretty cute.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

You should definitely see Rocketman. Not only he nails the singing (well, in studio, but to my untrained ear, you can't notice his voice being overcorrected or anything), but his acting in that movie is awesome.

I'm just gonna leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0x3VIz2Y8

He sang along with Elton another couple of times
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

They want to turn Hercules into a cinematic universe? :roll:
Russo also went on to explain that they’re taking their time in building the film’s story due to the importance and influence of the original animated film to so many people. He confirmed that they’re trying to create a story that would be able to expand within its universe as Disney thinks that the live-action Hercules has potential to become a franchise.

“The script’s about to come in in a week,” Russo said. “We’ve taken a lot of time and care with it. It’s a movie that was really important to me and my kids, something that they watched when they were young, and so we’ve got a strong emotional connection to it. Our intention is to look at everything we do and think about how can we build it out, what can you do with this that expands it, gives you different opportunities for storytelling in it. So we’re going through that same exercise with Hercules, is can we build it out, can we build a world out of this and that extends beyond it and would be compelling, and I think that’s what audiences are craving, right? They want to see something really cool that they wanna get lost in it for a decade, so that’s our mission is to provide them with that experience. It’s still early!”
Source: https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/ ... protential
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I mean a cinematic universe based on Greek mythology sounds pretty cool to me, if done well.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Not everything needs to have a cinematic universe
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

I agree not everything needs to be a cinematic universe, but Hercules and greek mythology lend themselves to it pretty naturally. I'm honestly shocked Disney hasn't made these live-action adaptations they're own "Disney" cinematic universe yet. It'd be a train-wreck of course, but I'm surprised it hasn't happened.
Disney's Divinity

In theory, a superhero movie based around Hercules a la Thor with its own franchise would be interesting. But a remake of a Disney movie called Hercules into that? It's just like with Mulan--they can easily make a Hercules film unrelated to the Disney movie via Marvel if that's what they want. God knows they've sucked up enough studios now to do such a thing. Why are Disney so f***ing stupid? They have to know calling this a re-make of the Disney film would be lucky to produce one success rather than a three-film franchise. They're just going to dissatisfy everyone yet again--the Disney fans wanting a remake of their film and people who'd rather have a new film based more faithfully around the original myth. Because just like with Mulan, you know it's all just a media guise, because the film will not be any more like the myth than Mulan 2020 was like its source just because they've wiped away everything from the Disney film they're using to jumpstart it. That's all Disney's good at these days is selling a lie because they're too incompetent of a company to make quality original products; they can't even make a re-make right, for God's sake.

Well, I hope they get another good kick in the teeth like they did with Mulan 2020. A Hercules remake never had the kind of money-making potential a Mulan one did anyway. At least I can enjoy the fall. *sharpens knives*
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

rodrigo_ca wrote:Not everything needs to have a cinematic universe
You must forget that Bob Iger's singular goal is to make money, not art.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

At least the orginal can be improved a bit. Unlike Beauty and The Beast and Robin Hood :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It'd be great if she was cast as Calliope since that was one of her first roles. Hopefully, Disney's listening.

Jennifer Hudson Reveals Which Role She Wants in a Hercules Movie: 'Where's My Disney Role?'
https://people.com/movies/jennifer-huds ... les-movie/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

And Lizzo as Thalia or is that too obvious at this point? Her latest music video is just one big love letter to Hercules. Almost an open audition. :D
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

PatrickvD wrote:And Lizzo as Thalia or is that too obvious at this point? Her latest music video is just one big love letter to Hercules. Almost an open audition. :D
I'd love to see Lizzo in this! Hell, it'd be fun to see Cardi B too, haha.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:I'd love to see Lizzo in this! Hell, it'd be fun to see Cardi B too, haha.
As much as I love Cardi it can’t really be a singing role haha.
Disney's Divinity

I've thought from the beginning that JHUD would be perfect as the lead Muse. (And how neat it would be to have a Dreamgirls reunion even.) And now with her having a "comeback" in relevance with the Aretha film, maybe she could push at Disney to get them to change their mind about cutting the Muses / soundtrack. Pleasepleaseplease, God, please!

And Lizzo would be fantastic, too!! That's a great idea.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Screenwriter Dave Callaham Talks Teaming up With The Russo’s on ‘Hercules’:
https://thedisinsider.com/2021/09/10/sc ... -hercules/
Disney's Divinity

You know, I've been sort of surprised at the "racist!" brigade (not here, but in the media) haven't commented on the Muses being cut. They were some of the first major Black characters to be in an animated film and a DAC. And also to cut the music out of the--only?--musical animated film ever made in the Gospel style? Disney has the media by the cojones though, which is why I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but the silence from that usually very loud corner is very surprising. I imagine that played a big role in the decision to racebend Hercules though--I mean, aside from the fact that he has red hair (which I wouldn't discount as the main reason, lol, since it seems consistent that red-haired characters get slotted in for race-bending....)--in an attempt to misdirect attention away from those criticisms.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

They hired a bunch of bros for a remake of a film that is decidedly beloved by a queer and POC audience. It really did show us black characters for the first time in a major Disney animated feature. That and the soundtrack is terrific.

But yeah, cut out all that and just give us nothing. Cast Dwayne Johnson to make it extra bland while they’re at it.

Is it confirmed by the way? That the muses are out?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

We don't know yet if the muses have been cut. The characters can still exist in some way, perhaps as narrators, even without the songs. Also, they will probably cast a Black actor as Hercules like the stage musical did, so I doubt it will get any blowback in this department.

I agree that the Russos aren't at all suitable for this project.