DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Four Dads
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:35 am 
Platinum Edition

Disney's stepping up its gay representation lately. Good Luck Charlie, Doc McStuffins, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Andi Mack, Beauty & the Beast, Jungle Cruise, and now Four Dads.

Quote:
We have learned the studio is gearing up for a comedy series tentatively titled Four Dads.

The series will follow Ethan and Sebastian who divorce each other and then separately remarry other partners, they must learn to parent their budding teenage daughters while avoiding the pitfalls of their two very different families.

We can also share with you that the studio has interest in American Horror Story star, Cheyenne Jackson for the lead role of Sebastian.

The series written and produced by Rick Weiner and Kenny Schwartz (Modern Family, American Dad). Production on the 30-minute series is expected to begin this Spring, in Los Angeles. With a series debut with the launch of Disney+ sometime this Fall. The series is said to be inspired by Schwartz’s life.
Source: http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2019/01/ ... ay-couple/

Post subject: Re: Four Dads
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:47 am 
Platinum Edition

That's kind of weird it's all teenage daughters, no sons.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:15 am 
Platinum Edition

Too bad it'll be exclusive to Disney's streaming service, since I'd like to actually see this, especially if Cheyenne Jackson is involved, too.

Quote:
Good Luck Charlie, Doc McStuffins, Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Andi Mack, Beauty & the Beast, Jungle Cruise, and now Four Dads.
I know about Andi Mack and LeFou in the live-action B&tB, but what's been going on with the rest of these?

Dolly Parton, Jordin Sparks, Sara Evans, Monica, Rita Wilson ~ "Pink"
Sara Evans ~ "Anywhere"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:23 am 
Platinum Edition

Good Luck Charlie and Doc McStuffins each had an episode featuring a lesbian couple, Star vs. the Forces of Evil had an episode where male and female same-sex couples were kissing in the background, and Jack Whitehall's character in the Jungle Cruise is reported to be openly gay.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:47 am 
Platinum Edition

If it's like most other Disney Channel shows, I doubt I'll watch it, but I'm very excited at how progressive this is for Disney. However, I should have realized that there'd be a catch. Disney wouldn't be brave enough to air this on their own channel where ratings can be affected, hence why they've relegated it to their streaming service. I suppose it is a good way to test the waters and see how much backlash they might get considering the fact that the one lesbian couple that appeared for a few minutes in an episode of Good Luck Charlie stirred up so much controversy that the poor toddler actress was receiving death threats.

Disney Duster wrote:

Because Disney Channel shows cater primarily towards teenage girls, hence why their lead stars are almost always female, unless they're heartthrob material (Ross Lynch and even he was paired with a female lead). I don't think the Disney Channel has had a show with exclusively male leads since The Suite Life on Deck. Every other show has always been two female leads or a female lead paired with a male one.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:19 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Is it supposed to be a Disney Channel-style show, or an ABC style show (read: for older viewers)? The creative talent worked on Modern Family and American Dad and the show’s logline emphasizes the adults and not the children— it’s even in the title. That leads me to believe it is the latter, not the former.

It sounds like a Modern Family-esque offering for Disney+— a family friendly TV show that wouldn’t embarrass you if your kids are around, but written and produced with more sophisticated adult taste in mind.

It’s a great progressive step. The more shows with gay leads and characters the better— even more so that we can depict gay characters with a history of failed marriages, too. The day I’ll weep (happy tears), though, is when I see a gay character in an animated Disney movie. It’s coming, one day. Maybe not until I have children or even grandchildren, but it will happen. And that will be a happy day.

Quote:

It’s not that weird— Full House had a similar gender dynamic, 3 grown men and 3 girls.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
I suppose it is a good way to test the waters and see how much backlash they might get considering the fact that the one lesbian couple that appeared for a few minutes in an episode of Good Luck Charlie stirred up so much controversy that the poor toddler actress was receiving death threats.

good lord..and some people really think Disney will let Elsa be openly gay in Frozen 2. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:54 pm 
Platinum Edition

unprincess wrote:
good lord..and some people really think Disney will let Elsa be openly gay in Frozen 2. :?
I'm still skeptical that would ever happen, but I don't think death threats to an actress will be the reason why it won't.

Most celebrities in this world probably receive death threats, and that's probably tripled for minorities of some kind. Having to see or hear about LGBT people at all naturally brings murderous intent out of the scum of the world, but there's no reason the world should revolve around them. Just like with terrorism, there's no point changing your life in response to their hatred and evil, because then they win.

Dolly Parton, Jordin Sparks, Sara Evans, Monica, Rita Wilson ~ "Pink"
Sara Evans ~ "Anywhere"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:49 am 
Platinum Edition

I always thought Full House was weird, too.

You'd think there'd be at least one son.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:54 am 
Platinum Edition

Disney Duster wrote:

I think it may have to do with homophobia. There's the lingering misconception that gay dads will somehow "turn" their sons gay too whereas there isn't such a fear when it comes to daughters.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:43 am 
Platinum Edition

That is part of what I suspected. I also suspect more homophobia in thinking the dads would do something sexual to their sons? I just don't like them having no sons out of fear like that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:50 pm 
Limited Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
unprincess wrote:
I'm still skeptical that would ever happen, but I don't think death threats to an actress will be the reason why it won't.

Most celebrities in this world probably receive death threats, and that's probably tripled for minorities of some kind. Having to see or hear about LGBT people at all naturally brings murderous intent out of the scum of the world, but there's no reason the world should revolve around them. Just like with terrorism, there's no point changing your life in response to their hatred and evil, because then they win.

I mean if people can be so homophobic that they will threaten a child just b/c of one lesbian couple appearing for a few minutes on a Disney Channel show, I can imagine how much Disney would fear the outrage these cretins would unleash if Elsa is made gay, & how that could effect the BO performance of the film. Disney's priority will always be money first, they wont risk that by making Elsa openly gay.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:27 am 
Platinum Edition

Sotiris wrote:
I think it may have to do with homophobia. There's the lingering misconception that gay dads will somehow "turn" their sons gay too whereas there isn't such a fear when it comes to daughters.

I had an inkling that this could be an issue as well. Although the fear about turning a daughter gay is real as well. If anyone watches 13 Reasons Why, one of the main characters is a girl adopted by her two gay fathers. She's a lesbian but she keeps it secret, because she's afraid people will think that her dads are responsible for her sexuality.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:52 am 
Platinum Edition

It looks like the show won't be filming as soon as it was initially reported and its status has been downgraded to "early development". I wonder if Disney's having second thoughts due to the subject matter.

Quote:
Q: Whatever happened to that Four Dads show?

Skyler Shuler: That's in early development.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 0688301057

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:20 pm 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
‘Four Dads’ will focus on when two dads get divorced and then each remarry, they must navigate their new lives whilst raising their teenage daughters. It will begin filming on May 6th in Los Angeles.
Source: https://discussingfilm.net/2019/04/11/l ... exclusive/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:30 pm 
Platinum Edition

The show has been cancelled which makes the fact that they're developing a Love, Simon series for Disney+ all that peculiar. I fully expect it to move Hulu at the last second like High Fidelity did.

Quote:
Muppets Live Another Day was one of two comedy pilots ordered by Disney+, along with Four Dads, which also did not go forward.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/09/the-muppet ... 202730154/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:38 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

It seems like Disney is culling projects with similar themes. Two gay shows is one too many, I suppose. A shame, maybe it could have been something special.