2part question: Authenticating Jungle Book Limited Issue DVD

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
BuddyBeaver

2part question: Authenticating Jungle Book Limited Issue DVD

Post by BuddyBeaver »

Hi everyone - I'm trying to authenticate my recently-purchased copy of The Jungle Book Limited Issue dvd (which I do believe is a bootleg). I realize this is a topic that has been covered before, but my searches (both on the internet and on DVDizzy) haven't answered my question.

1) Can anyone tell me the official term for the codes (letters and numbers) that are printed on the underside of the inner ring of a DVD, and is it agreed that this is a sure-fire way to authenticate a DVD?

2) Re: Jungle Book Limited Issue purchase - I bought it on eBay - the cover and disc art did seem 'off' and slightly different, but the seller provided extra pictures and told me she bought it years ago for her son, so it put me somewhat at ease. When it arrived, the print quality on the packaging was definitely suspicious. The insert that came with it (DVD offer) was riddled with misspellings (ie 101 Damnations :lol: ), though there were no misspellings on the front or back cover, or scene selection insert. When it put it in my player, the PQ seemed OK -- though it's hard to tell what I should expect from a DVD dating back to '99.

So, all signs point to 'bootleg' -- but here's where it gets tricky: the code on the underside of the dvd in question does mostly match one that I do believe is authentic.

A code from a disc I believe to be authentic reads: (E4806) E3509 with a tiny code that reads: IFPI LI30 (not sure if they are I's or 1's) -- It also has a bar code written around part of the inner ring.

My eBay disc in question has the same code as above ( (E4806) E3509 ), but is missing the tiny IFPI code. It also has a different-looking bar code.

If pictures would be helpful, I can upload some, but based on the info I have provided, does this sound like a (fairly high-quality) bootleg? And is the underside code the best way to authenticate future purchases?

Thanks in advance -- Mark
Last edited by BuddyBeaver on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: 2part question: Authenticating Jungle Book Limited Issue

Post by Vlad »

Does it have an official sticker from Disney on the packaging? I'm not sure if they were used on early Disney DVDs, though.
BuddyBeaver

Post by BuddyBeaver »

It was used, so there were no stickers to be found.
DisneyFreak5282
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFreak5282 »

Pictures would certainly help authenticate it. Unfortunately I can't check my copy (it's been in storage since I moved and only brought the Blu-Ray with me), but is the paper artwork thick with rounded corners? I recently bought a Limited Issue copy of The Little Mermaid that appears authentic - it even has the white security tape that the previous owner had just cut rather than peel off - but the artwork quality isn't that great, so I'm wondering if this is a similar situation.
UDer #3495 :D
BuddyBeaver

Post by BuddyBeaver »

Update: I purchased a second copy on Ebay. All artwork/inserts look legit.
The numbers/code on the underside of the inner ring read: E3509, C3.2 152768-02, IFPI L893. No bar codes to be found, though. The inner plastic ring says: NIMBUS/CA. Would anyone with an authentic copy be so kind as to confirm these codes?