Pixar Spark Shorts

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Pixar Spark Shorts

Post by Sotiris »

I suppose this will be the short shown in front of Incredibles 2.

Pixar’s Experimental Short Division Reveals First Images For ‘Smash and Grab’
http://www.slashfilm.com/pixar-smash-an ... irst-look/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Re: Smash and Grab (Pixar Short)

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

The studio's new experimental shorts division does sound interesting, and I hope they move in another direction that what we have seen in the Pixar shorts lately.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Smash and Grab (Pixar Short)

Post by Kyle »

Unfortunate title given Lasetter's sexual harassment allegations.
Sotiris

Purl (Pixar Short)

Post by Sotiris »

Purl is the second short from Pixar's experimental division (the first one being Smash and Grab) which will premiere at SIGGRAPH this year.

First Look at Pixar’s ‘Purl’, the Second Film from Their Experimental Short Film Program
https://www.slashfilm.com/purl/
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Purl (Pixar Short)

Post by D82 »

Brief synopsis:
The 8-minute short film, Purl, follows a ball of yarn trying to make her way in a male-dominated corporate world and acts as a visual metaphor for some of Kristen's (the short's director) personal experiences within the industry.
Logo, more images and some other details in this article: https://www.pixarpost.com/2018/08/pixar ... -2018.html
Disney's Divinity

Re: Purl (Pixar Short)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

This sounds cute. I mean, I would've enjoyed this regardless, but I can't help wondering if everything with John Lasseter (not to mention the MeToo movement in general) might be the only reason this one actually got far enough to be made. I'm sure the bro atmosphere at PIXAR would've blocked this from getting far under normal circumstances.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Pixar Spark Shorts

Post by Sotiris »

Pixar has named their newly-founded experimental division SparkShorts and 6 shorts films have been completed through this initiative so far. The first three will debut on YouTube while the rest on Disney+.

Pixar Announces New Short Film Program, SparkShorts
https://www.slashfilm.com/pixar-sparksh ... ort-films/
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Re: Pixar Spark Shorts

I hope we will see a Pixar short with actual dialogue for a change. I honestly don't understand why almost every Pixar short has to be pantomime. Not that it makes them bad, but a little diversity in that regard as will wouldn't hurt.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It's great that the shorts will be released on Youtube and we'll be able to watch them! The titles announced so far sound quite interesting and I think this whole initiative is fantastic.
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:I hope we will see a Pixar short with actual dialogue for a change. I honestly don't understand why almost every Pixar short has to be pantomime. Not that it makes them bad, but a little diversity in that regard as will wouldn't hurt.
I hope that too. I think the shorts from this new short film program will be more varied than the theatrical shorts. The directors of these shorts will probably have more creative freedom as the shorts won't need to fit with the style rules of the "official" shorts.

Regarding the lack of dialogue in Pixar shorts, usually I haven't minded it, but I don't like it when the characters speak with grumbles and unintelligible sounds because they can't allow actual speaking in their shorts, like in La Luna or Lou. I think that's ridiculous and kind of cheating. I much rather the characters talked in these shorts instead.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Yes, if they feel voice actors are required, why not use the opportunity to let them speak real words instead of giving them some kind of Mr. Bean dialogue.

Perhaps there are some Pixar animator right now thinking "forget about all the etablished shorts traditions, I want to create something entirely new never done before". Or maybe a return to the old, like a short inspired by the Bob Clampett or Fleischer cartoons.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

I think they don't talk because then they know they can show the short to everyone without having to spend alot of money to dubbed it into multiple languages.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Posters, stills and synopsis for the first 6 shorts: https://www.pixarpost.com/2019/01/explo ... horts.html

There's one in 2D animation, Kitbull. And unless the characters speak gibberish, judging by the synopsis, Loop will probably have dialogue.

DisneyBluLife wrote:I think they don't talk because then they know they can show the short to everyone without having to spend alot of money to dubbed it into multiple languages.
I never thought of that possibility. Pixar seems to spare no expense with their shorts, but not having to translate them certainly saves them some trouble, so it could be because of that.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Purl was quite good! I liked the message and how it depicts the difficulties of women in a boys' club workplace environment. I'm also glad they released some behind-the-scenes stuff.
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:I hope we will see a Pixar short with actual dialogue for a change.
Your wish has been granted! Yes, it was refreshing watching a Pixar short with actual dialogue. I don't know if it was because of that or not, but it didn't feel like a Pixar short at all. I liked that because it shows they really let the filmmakers have more creative freedom in this new shorts program. I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the shorts.
skippy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skippy »

Not a fan of the innuendos or talking about "kicking ass", but otherwise was enjoyable.
Where's the rest of Elfego Baca and the Swamp Fox?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

While I love that Pixar is slowly letting women taking the lead, it's so funny that Pixar is acting "woke" about gender equality after past female employees revealed damning things about Pixar. :roll: Hell, the office in the short is literally the company the females described about Pixar.
skippy wrote:Not a fan of the innuendos or talking about "kicking ass", but otherwise was enjoyable.
Noted, but this wasn't meant for kids originally. This is a part of an internship program at Pixar, right?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:While I love that Pixar is slowly letting women taking the lead, it's so funny that Pixar is acting "woke" about gender equality after past female employees revealed damning things about Pixar. :roll: Hell, the office in the short is literally the company the females described about Pixar.
Yeah, maybe the bad experiences the director says she had at other studios actually happened to her at Pixar. Or at least part of them.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I like Robots with feelings, but it felt like they really copied a lot from WALL-E.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Yes, it reminded me a bit of WALL-E, but I think it's original enough. This short feels more typical Pixar than the previous one, but I liked it. And the art direction was quite impressive.