Lizzie McGuire Revival

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Lizzie McGuire Revival

Post by Sotiris »

Hilary Duff is pleading Disney to move the series to Hulu.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9IaC36pec0/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:Hilary Duff is pleading Disney to move the series to Hulu.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9IaC36pec0/
Disney didn't give in to her salary demands back in 2003. Doubtful Disney gives in to her now, but we'll see, she has the power of Social Media on her side too.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Hilary Duff is desperate for a comeback.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

farerb wrote:Hilary Duff is desperate for a comeback.
Gotta give her credit for standing up to Disney though. I mean, Disney owns the Lizzie McGuire character, she could of just did as told, get payed, it is what it is. But the fact that she won't return to play this character unless her demands are met, gotta respect her for that :clap:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Just to defend Hillary, she hasn't been away, she's been on the TV Land show Younger for years (I don't have cable; I haven't seen it). I totally understand Hillary and the showrunner would rather have the show they want to make on Hulu rather than a watered-down version on Disney+, but I'm still bummed that D+ may not get the show.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I would much rather see Terri Minsky and Hillary Duff’s vision of a grown-up Lizzie rather than Disney’s toothless take.

I mean, no kid cares about the name or the brand “Lizzie McGuire.” Make the show for the people that want to watch it.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

farerb wrote:Hilary Duff is desperate for a comeback.
I dont think that's fair, its not like she hasn't had success outside of disney since the show ended. Disney put her on the map, but she's plenty qualified to keep things going on her own. She just knows she still has fans who miss her roots.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The Hollywood Reporter article this references was posted in the Disney+ thread, but I didn't see this until now:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/morgan ... atured-sex
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I can see the problem if Lizzie was the one doing the cheating, but if a boyfriend of hers cheated on her or if this was about some other couple entirely then it's really not a big deal. Also, :lol: at "acknowledging the existence of sex".
Meanwhile, the first episode of the Lizzie McGuire revival, the script for which THR has also read, acknowledges the existence of sex with cheating as a central plot point.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... nt-1283260
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Sotiris wrote:I can see the problem if Lizzie was the one doing the cheating, but if a boyfriend of hers cheated on her or if this was about some other couple entirely then it's really not a big deal. Also, :lol: at "acknowledging the existence of sex".
Meanwhile, the first episode of the Lizzie McGuire revival, the script for which THR has also read, acknowledges the existence of sex with cheating as a central plot point.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... nt-1283260
This is beyond ridiculous. 10 Things I Hate About You is on Disney+ and it references sex, cheating, flashing teachers, getting drunk, etc. I get Lizzie is their property and character and they’re protective of her in the sense that they don’t wanna tarnish the brand, but it’s what the brand needs to be. So they either need to get over it, or be done with it. I think Disney+ having content like that is exactly what it needs to stay alive.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That line made me giggle, too, Sotiris. That sounds like something from the 1950s.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I mean, Disney Channel shows make it a point to not reference sex or make any sexual references. I understand why Disney would be reluctant to go ahead with a pilot like that so I'm not really judging them. I mean, did anyone expect Raven's Home to be like this? Or even Girl Meets World?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I mean, Disney Channel shows make it a point to not reference sex or make any sexual references. I understand why Disney would be reluctant to go ahead with a pilot like that so I'm not really judging them. I mean, did anyone expect Raven's Home to be like this? Or even Girl Meets World?
The point of the revival though was that it was on Disney+ so it wouldn’t be geared toward kids, but the now adults who grew up with the show. That’s why people are so upset over this, because that was the whole promise, and Disney now acts as if they didn’t know what they were producing.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I think Disney wanted this show to be like what it used to be back then, but it is weird to make that kind of show with a 30 year old rather than a teenager, thus the creator made something more mature, Disney saw it and didn't like it and now we're in this situation.
Disney's Divinity

nomad2010 wrote:
The point of the revival though was that it was on Disney+ so it wouldn’t be geared toward kids, but the now adults who grew up with the show. That’s why people are so upset over this, because that was the whole promise, and Disney now acts as if they didn’t know what they were producing.
I agree. My only interest in seeing this would be seeing them all as adults... That would involve some semblance of adult situations. You don't have to show explicit sex scenes while still including story points that involve the topic.

Personally, I thought sex was a topic on Boy Meets World? It was an issue when it came to Topanga and Corey deciding to get married, waiting to have kids, etc. So I'd say it was expected for Girl Meets World to deal with those same issues with teenagers going through puberty. GMW was a little too childish. The original show started that way and grew more serious over time. Unfortunately GMW didn't last long enough to do the same thing. Maybe if it had been more serious at the start, fans of the original show would've stayed with it after the initial hype wore off.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
nomad2010 wrote:
I agree. My only interest in seeing this would be seeing them all as adults... That would involve some semblance of adult situations. You don't have to show explicit sex scenes while still including story points that involve the topic.

Personally, I thought sex was a topic on Boy Meets World? It was an issue when it came to Topanga and Corey deciding to get married, waiting to have kids, etc. So I'd say it was expected for Girl Meets World to deal with those same issues with teenagers going through puberty. GMW was a little too childish. The original show started that way and grew more serious over time. Unfortunately GMW didn't last long enough to do the same thing. Maybe if it had been more serious at the start, fans of the original show would've stayed with it after the initial hype wore off.
Exactly! I think that was why Girls Meets World didn’t stick around. Boy Meets World dealt with serious issues through the the entire run. But the sequel series was geared toward young kids and therefore didn’t have universal appeal. Lizzie was the same way. It had universal appeal. But it had that appeal because of its age range. She’s grown up now. The younger age range wouldn’t make sense. It’s hard to write a show about adult struggles for kids. But it is possible to keep it within boundaries that kids could watch it. And I’m sure whatever was in this series was more than fine for a kid to watch than most of anything on cable television these days.
Disney's Divinity

nomad2010 wrote:But it is possible to keep it within boundaries that kids could watch it. And I’m sure whatever was in this series was more than fine for a kid to watch than most of anything on cable television these days.
I mean, it can't be worse than The Bachelor / Bachelorette shows they air on ABC. :lol:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Ignoring the fact that those particular reality shows air at a later air time for a reason and are clearly not geared towards kids and family audiences.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The star — who first stepped into McGuire’s shoes as a pre-teen — tells PEOPLE there’s no bad blood, and discussions are still ongoing. “There’s still conversations going on in hopes that we can find a way to meet in the middle and both bend a little bit,” she says. “I understand that they have to protect their brand and there’s pretty strict guidelines on what that looks like.” Adds Duff: “I just have to make sure it’s the right move for me and that I feel like I’m honoring her and the character, and that it will be relatable to the people who grew up with her because those are the people I really want to speak to.”
Source: https://people.com/parents/hilary-duff- ... exclusive/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, we can rule out Hulu picking up the revival.
Then there’s the case of the much-anticipated Disney+ Lizzie McGuire reboot, which seemed to fizzle when both the original creator and its star Hilary Duff pushed for more R-rated content. “It would be a dream if Disney would let us move the show to Hulu,” Duff pleaded on social media. Hulu does not share that dream. “I appreciate her fandom,” Erwich offered with a grin—but added, “We have not had any conversations with Hilary Duff around her show.”
Source: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ont-disney