DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:39 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

D82 wrote:
farerb wrote:
Has anyone seen Wolfwalkers? What were your thoughts about the film?

I haven't. I didn't even know it had already been released.

It was available for rent on the TIFF site in September. I thought maybe someone watched it there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:51 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Oh, OK. I didn't know that. I've now seen it'll be available in Spain on streaming in December.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:32 pm 
Platinum Edition

Wolfwalkers has been nominated for a Gotham Award. Update: Identifying Features won in the category.

Quote:
Best International Feature

Bacurau
Beanpole
Cuties
Identifying Features
Martin Eden
Wolfwalkers
Source: https://www.ifp.org/press/nominations-a ... am-awards/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:53 pm 
Platinum Edition

Good news! More animated films have been confirmed to be in contention for Best Animated Feature at this year's Oscars.

Bombay Rose and A Whisker Away are going to be submitted for Oscar consideration by Netflix.

Quote:
“Bombay Rose” and “A Whisker Away,” both from Netflix, will keep the required number above 15 features in order to have five nominees as “Wish Dragon” from Sony Pictures isn’t coming in the eligibility window. “Connected” also could leave the calendar, with a still unknown release date.
Source: https://variety.com/feature/2021-oscars ... 234772376/

Earwig and the Witch is going be submitted for Oscar consideration by GKIDS.

Quote:
Goro Miyazaki, the son of the Oscar-winning Hayao Miyazaki (“Spirited Away”), is coming with his third directorial feature and Studio Ghibli’s first CGI animated film. If that doesn’t get you excited enough, there are early rumors that this is something to highly anticipate in the quality sector.

Demon Slayer is going be submitted for Oscar consideration by Funimation.

Quote:
“Demon Slayer” is a box office sensation, and may get some goodwill with the animation branch. Could it squeeze a spot from something like “Onward,” which could follow the precedent when Pixar and Disney having two contenders in the mix, with one of them unexpectedly missing? (such as “The Good Dinosaur”)

Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs is going to be submitted for Oscar consideration by Sidus.

Quote:
Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs riffs on the tale of Snow White, spinning it into a commentary on our society’s obsession with appearances. [...] On Apple TV, it reached the number one slot in the kids and family section for North America. Sidus is planning to submit it for consideration for this year’s Oscars.
Source: https://www.cartoonbrew.com/sponsored-b ... 99213.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:14 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

^I haven't seen Bombay Rose, but I found A Whisker Away enjoyable. I don't think it'll be a strong contender, but I'm glad Netflix is giving these films the chance they deserve.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:54 pm 
Platinum Edition

Oscars For Animated Shorts 2021: A Look At This Year’s Candidates
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/osca ... 98516.html

Oscar 2021 Best Animated Short Film: The List Of 96 Qualified Films
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/osca ... 00381.html

On the (Virtual) Road to Oscar Gold: 2020’s Short Film Contenders
https://www.animationmagazine.net/short ... ontenders/

Watch Animation Magazine’s Exclusive Award Season Shorts Panel
https://www.animationmagazine.net/event ... rts-panel/

A Guide to Oscars’ Shortlisted Animated Shorts, From Diana Rigg to Pixar’s First Gay Hero
https://www.thewrap.com/a-guide-to-osca ... -gay-hero/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:01 pm 
Platinum Edition

The nominations for the inaugural Critics' Choice Super Awards are out. Update: Soul won in the category.

Quote:
Best Animated Movie

Onward
Over the Moon
A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
Soul
The Willoughbys
Wolfwalkers
Source: https://criticschoice.com/2020/11/nomin ... er-awards/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:29 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

^I think that's quite a good selection of films. I didn't know the Critics' Choice now had a separate ceremony for animation and "genre movies". Some of these categories were part of their awards before, but they've really expanded the number here. I'm not sure how I feel about the change. On the one hand, it's great that they're awarding some genres that usually don't get much recognition awards-wise and I also like that there are categories for voice acting. But on the other, it's a shame that the animation category, for example, won't be part of the main awards, and maybe some genre films will be less likely of getting nominations for the main awards if they are already nominated here. Anyway, the Critics' Choice are not as important as the Oscars or the Golden Globes, so I don't mind it too much. I was also thinking that the Best Villain categories could sometimes be spoilery, right? Unless they don't nominate surprise villains.

By the way, Disney has gotten a total of 15 nominations. I'm a bit surprised Mulan was nominated for Best Action Movie and Best Actress in an Action Movie. But, as this article says, most tentpoles that were going to be released in 2020 have been postponed, so this year wasn't very competitive for these particular awards as a result. Though, regarding Yifei Liu, personally I don't think she was that bad in the role. I think the main reason her character wasn't successful is how it was written. She was more convincing as a man than I expected and I found her more or less likeable. Anyway, they nominated her in the wrong category; she should've been in the "Best Actress in a Superhero Movie" one instead. :P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:13 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

D82 wrote:
^I think that's quite a good selection of films. I didn't know the Critics' Choice now had a separate ceremony for animation and "genre movies". Some of these categories were part of their awards before, but they've really expanded the number here. I'm not sure how I feel about the change. On the one hand, it's great that they're awarding some genres that usually don't get much recognition awards-wise and I also like that there are categories for voice acting. But on the other, it's a shame that the animation category, for example, won't be part of the main awards, and maybe some genre films will be less likely of getting nominations for the main awards if they are already nominated here. Anyway, the Critics' Choice are not as important as the Oscars or the Golden Globes, so I don't mind it too much. I was also thinking that the Best Villain categories could sometimes be spoilery, right? Unless they don't nominate surprise villains.

I think they chose the wrong year to do a separate genre awards, since so many genre films have been postponed to next year, so they're mostly stuck with what came out in theatres earlier in the year, the movies that have taken the risk to open in theatres post-pandemic and anything on streaming.

As for Best Villain, the MTV Movie Awards have that category and have spoiled twist villains in the past, so your concern is not too far off.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:42 pm 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
I think that's quite a good selection of films.

I think they went too mainstream. They should have included some indie and international films as well. These are the Critics' Choice Awards after all, not the Kids' Choice Awards. :wink:

D82 wrote:
I didn't know the Critics' Choice now had a separate ceremony for animation and "genre movies".

This is the first year it's happening. It was first announced in October.

D82 wrote:
Some of these categories were part of their awards before, but they've really expanded the number here. I'm not sure how I feel about the change. On the one hand, it's great that they're awarding some genres that usually don't get much recognition awards-wise and I also like that there are categories for voice acting. But on the other, it's a shame that the animation category, for example, won't be part of the main awards, and maybe some genre films will be less likely of getting nominations for the main awards if they are already nominated here.

I hate that the animation feature category has been exiled to the lesser award ceremony. It reflects a lack of appreciation and respect for the medium. I would have preferred they stayed in the main one, even if that meant losing the voice acting categories.

D82 wrote:
Anyway, they nominated her in the wrong category; she should've been in the "Best Actress in a Superhero Movie" one instead. :P

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:31 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

estefan wrote:
I think they chose the wrong year to do a separate genre awards, since so many genre films have been postponed to next year, so they're mostly stuck with what came out in theatres earlier in the year, the movies that have taken the risk to open in theatres post-pandemic and anything on streaming.

Yeah, it's definitely not the best year to start doing these awards. I don't know why they didn't wait until next year for that.

estefan wrote:
As for Best Villain, the MTV Movie Awards have that category and have spoiled twist villains in the past, so your concern is not too far off.

I knew there was a ceremony that had that category as well, but I didn't remember which one. I'm glad I've never paid much attention to those awards then.

Sotiris wrote:
I think they went too mainstream. They should have included some indie and international films as well. These are the Critics' Choice Awards after all, not the Kids' Choice Awards. :wink:

Yes, it's true. But, from what I remember, they haven't nominated many indie or international films in the past, so I didn't expect them to do it now either.

Sotiris wrote:
This is the first year it's happening. It was first announced in October.

Thanks for the info. They didn't announce it too far in advance, did they?

Sotiris wrote:
I hate that the animation feature category has been exiled to the lesser award ceremony. It reflects a lack of appreciation and respect for the medium. I would have preferred they stayed in the main one, even if that meant losing the voice acting categories.

I think I would've preferred that too. There are voice acting categories at the Annies after all, so these actors were already getting some recognition.

Sotiris wrote:
Oscars For Animated Shorts 2021: A Look At This Year’s Candidates
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/osca ... 98516.html

I hadn't read this article until now. I didn't know Netflix had started releasing short films as well, and in my opinion, their shorts from this year look like strong contenders.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:00 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

First FYC ads for Onward and Soul:

Image Image
Source: https://www.nextbestpicture.com/disney-fyc-gallery.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:34 am 
Platinum Edition

They're seriously pushing the Pixar films for Best Picture? It's delusional they think they stand a chance, but I suppose it can't hurt. I'm surprised they aren't pushing Best Song for Onward (especially after the Grammy nomination) and Best Score for Soul. Perhaps it's too soon for that. They'll probably do so in their campaign later on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:41 am 
Platinum Edition

Sotiris wrote:
I'm surprised they aren't pushing Best Song for Onward (especially after the Grammy nomination) and Best Score for Soul. Perhaps it's too soon for that. They'll probably do so in their campaign later on.

I was curious why they're only pushing for the categories on the posters, but they'll surely get nominations in other categories...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:57 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

These specific ads are probably targeting film editors and being displayed on websites and magazines about film editing. Hence why Best Film Editing is one of the few categories being emphasized.

We will see more ads as this elongated awards season revs up. Soul will definitely be pushed in categories like Original Score, Original Screenplay and the sound categories, for example. Onward's chances are minimal, but I do think Soul has a chance at Best Picture in this unusual year. The reviews have been extremely positive and its debut on Disney+ tomorrow will probably help its word of mouth during the voting period.

Based on what awards predictors are saying, the most likely Best Picture candidates appear to be Nomadland, Mank, Minari, Trial of the Chicago 7 and One Night in Miami. There's definitely an emphasis on movies debuting on streaming services this year (for obvious reasons) and I think Soul could benefit from that. It also has less heavy hitting competition to deal with, what with so many possible awards contenders for this year being delayed (in a COVID-less world, Soul also would have to fight off movies like West Side Story, The Last Duel, The French Dispatch for a spot).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

Wolfwalkers is ahead of Soul in awards. Could this be the year Cartoon Saloon finally nabs the gold?

Soul
Florida Film Critics Circle
Indiana Film Journalists Association
Chicago Indie Critics
North Carolina Film Critics Association
Alliance of Women Film Journalists
Oklahoma Film Critics Circle
Music City Film Critics Association
North Dakota Film Society
St. Louis Film Critics Association
Philadelphia Film Critics Circle
San Francisco Bay Area Film Critics Circle
Denver Film Critics Society
Houston Film Critics Society
Black Film Critics Circle
Online Film Critics Society
New York Film Critics Online
North Texas Film Critics Association
Atlanta Film Critics Circle
Washington DC Area Film Critics Association
Dallas Fort-Worth Film Critics Association
Iowa Film Critics Association
Nevada Film Critics Society
Southeastern Film Critics Association
Critics Choice Association
Discussing Film Critics
American Film Institute
National Board of Review
Capri, Hollywood International Film Festival

Wolfwalkers
Los Angeles Film Critics Association
New York Film Critics Circle
Chicago Film Critics Association
Boston Online Film Critics Association
Greater Western New York Film Critics Association
Columbus Film Critics Association
San Diego Film Critics Society
New Mexico Film Critics Association
Kansas City Film Critics Circle
Utah Film Critics Association
Seattle Film Critics Society
Toronto Film Critics Association
International Film Music Critics Association
International Press Academy
American Film Institute Festival

My Favorite War
Annecy International Animated Film Festival
Bucheon International Animation Festival
Palm Springs International Animation Festival
New Chitose Airport International Animation Festival
Latvian National Film Festival

Calamity
Annecy International Animation Film Festival
Bucheon International Animation Film Festival
Schlingel International Film Festival
Cinekid Festival

Kill It and Leave This Town
Ottawa International Animation Festival
Vienna International Film Festival
Polish Film Festival

On-Gaku: Our Sound
Ottawa International Animation Festival
Brussels International Animation Film Festival
Reddit Anime Awards

Bombay Rose
Chicago International Film Festival
Mumbai Film Festival
Gold List

Over the Moon
Palm Springs International Animation Festival
Gold List

Ride Your Wave
Fantasia International Film Festival
Shanghai International Film Festival

Onward
Dublin International Film Festival
BMI Film, TV & Visual Media Awards

Dreambuilders
Chicago International Children's Film Festival
Robert Awards

A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
British Animation Awards
British Independent Film Awards

Lupin III: The First
Hawaii Film Critics Society

No.7 Cherry Lane
Venice International Film Festival

The Nose or Conspiracy of Mavericks

A Whisker Away
Asian Academy Creative Awards

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:43 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

People are much more aware of Wolfwalkers than their previous films because it's on Apple TV, a mainstream streaming service. But I don't think it will win, Soul has a much more interesting concept, Wolfwalkers feels like a less poignant version of Princess Mononoke.
Moreover, the charming Song of the Sea lost to the mediocre Big Hero 6, the Academy clearly doesn't care about animated features and they give it to the most well known film, which tends to be either Disney or Pixar, so there's also that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:03 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm shocked that Soul isn't leading the awards. :o Again, learning from this year with its underserved win with TS4 with the rest of the movies winning the other big awards, Pixar is very VERY tight around the Academy's little pinky.

I'm meaning to watch Wolfwalkers. My Apple+ is free for a year because of my new laptop. I'll say my thoughts once I see it. I could change my mind. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:48 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Two more FYC ads for Onward and Soul:

Image Image
Source: https://www.nextbestpicture.com/disney-fyc-gallery.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:28 am 
Platinum Edition

1st Critics Choice Super Awards Winners: ‘Soul’ Scores Triple Win
https://www.animationmagazine.net/event ... riple-win/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next