Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2020

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2020

Post by Sotiris »

The nominations for the Visual Effects Society Awards 2020 are out. Update: Soul won in the category.
Outstanding Visual Effects in an Animated Feature

The Croods: A New Age
Onward
Over the Moon
Soul
Trolls: World Tour
Source: https://www.visualeffectssociety.com/pr ... -nominees/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The nominations for the Annie Awards 2020 are out. "Over the Moon" got snubbed. :shock: Update: Soul and Wolfwalkers won in their respective categories. Soul won a total of seven awards while Wolfwalkers came in second with five.
Best Feature

Onward
Soul
The Willoughbys

Best Indie Feature

Calamity Jane: A Childhood of Martha Jane Cannary
On-Gaku: Our Sound
Ride Your Wave
A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
Wolfwalkers
Source: https://www.animationscoop.com/48th-ann ... announced/
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:The nominations for the Annie Awards 2020 are out. "Over the Moon" got snubbed. :shock:
Wow, that's shocking! I'm surprised they nominated the sequels to The Croods and Trolls over it. I haven't seen those two films yet; maybe they're good, but Over the Moon was better reviewed than them. The Annies have been accused of favoring DreamWorks in the past (like when Kung Fu Panda swept the awards beating WALL-E), I wonder if they still do. Well, at least Glen Keane was nominated for best director for the film. And I guess this time Wolfwalkers will be able to win, since it doesn't compete in the same category as Soul.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I was personally underwhelmed by Over the Moon. I loved the songs and visuals, but I found the story kind of all over the place and the pacing was strange to me. I would like to see The Croods: A New Age and The Willoughbys get nominated for the Oscars, as I found both quite delightful.

I think after Soul and Wolfwalkers, the other three Best Animated Feature spots could go anywhere. Onward, Over the Moon, The Willoughbys, Farmageddon and Croods: A New Age appear to be fighting for those last slots. And Calamity Jane apparently has its fans, so if there's a surprise entry, it could be that one.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Wow, that's shocking! I'm surprised they nominated the sequels to The Croods and Trolls over it. I haven't seen those two films yet; maybe they're good, but Over the Moon was better reviewed than them.
I know. It's ludicrous. Could it be a bias of some sort? Against female-led movies? Asian movies? Musicals? I don't know what to make of it. Especially since it was also snubbed in categories like character design, character animation, and production design where Over the Moon excelled at. In my opinion, it had the best design and animation of any of the American animated movies of 2020.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Over the Moon wasn't that good :roll: :roll:

It's my least favourite Netflix orginal animated movie at least.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Out of the 366 eligible features for Best Picture at the Oscars, only these ones are either animated, animated/live-action hybrids or contain animated sequences in them. It's quite strange Jungle Beat: The Movie was submitted in the Best Picture category, but not in the Animated Feature category. I maintain that hybrids like Sonic the Hedgehog and Tom & Jerry should be submitted in the animation category too and let the Academy determine whether they contain enough animation to be deemed eligible. In the past, hybrid films such as Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 & 3 and Cats & Dogs 2 did meet the requirements and were deemed eligible.

Accidental Luxuriance of the Translucent Watery Rebus
Bombay Rose
Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
Calamity: A Childhood of Martha Jane Cannary
The Call of the Wild
Demon Slayer -Kimetsu No Yaiba- The Movie: Mugen Train
Dolittle
Dreambuilders
Earwig and the Witch
Feels Good Man
I'm Thinking of Ending Things
Jungle Beat: The Movie
Kill It and Leave This Town
Lupin III: The First
Monster Hunter
Mosley
My Favorite War
The Nose or the Conspiracy of Mavericks
No.7 Cherry Lane
On-Gaku: Our Sound
The One and Only Ivan
Onward
Over the Moon
Pinocchio
Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs
Ride Your Wave
Scoob!
Sonic the Hedgehog
Soul
Terra Willy: Unexplored Planet
Tom & Jerry
A Whisker Away
The Willoughbys
The Witches
Wolfwalkers
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks for posting that list!
Sotiris wrote:I know. It's ludicrous. Could it be a bias of some sort? Against female-led movies? Asian movies? Musicals? I don't know what to make of it. Especially, since it was also snubbed in categories like character design, character animation, and production design where Over the Moon excelled at. In my opinion, it had the best design and animation of any of the American animated movies of 2020.
I agree it excelled at these categories. In my opinion, it should've been nominated in all of them. I don't know why they didn't vote for the film more. Maybe not so many people saw it? Or perhaps it wasn't so fresh in their minds as other movies released recently. Though, the Trolls sequel, for example, was released even earlier. It also occurs to me that many members probably vote for the people they know, and many of the people who made Over the Moon are from China. Or, who knows, maybe they simply liked those other movies more. Personally, I'm not that disappointed, as I'm used to not agree with many of their picks, but it's a shame for the people who worked on the film.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyFan97 wrote:Over the Moon wasn't that good :roll: :roll:

It's much better than Trolls at least, that's for sure.

I can't say about The Croods' sequel, but I did like the first movie. I haven't seen the PIXAR films either; Onward sounded like it might be decent anyway when I was paying attention to the news during its early phase of being made. PIXAR in general have always been overrated though, so I wouldn't be surprised to find later that both of those movies are mediocre at best.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Interesting to note that if both Onward and Soul are nominated then it will be the first time that two Pixar movies are nominated at the same time. The only other studio which had two films nominated at the same time was WDAS back in 2002 and 2016.
Another thing is that with the exception of Monsters Inc and Cars, Pixar has always won in the years when they released an original film, so I have no doubt it will happen with Soul and probably Luca as well next year.
Last edited by Farerb on Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
DisneyFan97 wrote:Over the Moon wasn't that good :roll: :roll:

It's much better than Trolls at least, that's for sure.

I can't say about The Croods' sequel, but I did like the first movie. I haven't seen the PIXAR films either; Onward sounded like it might be decent anyway when I was paying attention to the news during its early phase of being made. PIXAR in general have always been overrated though, so I wouldn't be surprised to find later that both of those movies are mediocre at best.
NO :x

Trolls 2 is better !
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

farerb wrote:Interesting to note that if both Onward and Soul are nominated then it will be the first time that two Pixar movies are nominated at the same time. The only other studio which had two films nominated at the same time was WDAS back in 2002 and 2016.
I hadn't realized Pixar has never had two movies nominated in the same year before. But WDAS is not the only studio to achieve that. I've checked it and DreamWorks also did it in 2004 and 2011. Another trivia fact I think I already mentioned is that if Soul wins, Pete Docter will be the first person with three awards in the category. Right now he's tied at two with Brad Bird, Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich and Jonas Rivera.
farerb wrote:Another thing is that with the exception of Monsters Inc and Cars, Pixar has always won in the years when they released an original film, so I have no doubt it will happen with Soul and probably Luca as well next year.
Yeah, Soul will definitely win. And given Pixar's track record, Luca it's likely to do it as well. But in the rare event it turns out to be another The Good Dinosaur, I wonder if Raya (or Encanto) could have a chance. Had it been released this year, as originally planned, I think Raya would've been nominated, but wouldn't have been able to beat Soul. But now, maybe it could have a better chance.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

D82 wrote:I hadn't realized Pixar has never had two movies nominated in the same year before. But WDAS is not the only studio to achieve that. I've checked it and DreamWorks also did it in 2004 and 2011. Another trivia fact I think I already mentioned is that if Soul wins, Pete Docter will be the first person with three awards in the category. Right now he's tied at two with Brad Bird, Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich and Jonas Rivera.
I hadn't realized that. I don't really follow Dreamworks movies and didn't bother to check.
D82 wrote: Yeah, Soul will definitely win. And given Pixar's track record, Luca it's likely to do it as well. But in the rare event it turns out to be another The Good Dinosaur, I wonder if Raya (or Encanto) could have a chance. Had it been released this year, as originally planned, I think Raya would've been nominated, but wouldn't have been able to beat Soul. But now, maybe it could have a better chance.
Yes, that could be the case, we'll have to wait and see, but if both Luca and Encanto prove to be good, then 2021 will be a good year in animation.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The Producers Guild Award nominations for Best Animated Feature:
“The Croods: A New Age” (DreamWorks Animation)
Producer: Mark Swift

“Onward” (Pixar)
Producer: Kori Rae

“Over the Moon” (Netflix)
Producers: Gennie Rim, Peilin Chou

“Soul” (Pixar)
Producer: Dana Murray

“Wolfwalkers” (Apple TV Plus/GKIDS)
Producers: Paul Young, Nora Twomey, Tomm Moore, Stéphan Roelants
And the BAFTA Award nominations:
ONWARD
Dan Scanlon, Kori Rae

SOUL
Pete Docter, Dana Murray

WOLFWALKERS
Tomm Moore, Ross Stewart, Paul Young
By the way, "Farmageddon: A Shaun the Sheep Movie" received a BAFTA nomination last year, but is eligible for this year's Oscars.

Soul was also nominated for Best Original Score and Best Sound, while Mulan and The One and Only Ivan were both nominated for Best Special Visual Effects.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I'm glad to see Over the Moon among the PGA nominees. That fact that Soul didn't get a Best Picture nomination makes its chances to get a nomination in that category at the Oscars don't look as good as before.

As for the BAFTAs, I'm glad people haven't forgotten Onward, even though it was released more than a year ago, and it's among the three films nominated.

By the way, Soul also won the Critics' Choice Award for Best Score this past weekend.
farerb wrote:Yes, that could be the case, we'll have to wait and see, but if both Luca and Encanto prove to be good, then 2021 will be a good year in animation.
Yes, this could potentially be a really good year. Speaking of that, the other day, when you mentioned the times WDAS has had two films nominated in the same year, I thought how good 2016 (when they released both Zootopia and Moana) was for the studio. It would be great if this year was as good as that one. I have to say that after seeing Raya and the Last Dragon, I'm more excited about the future of the studio. It gave me faith that Jennifer Lee can maybe do a good job running it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Oscar nominations are out. Soul was also nominated for Best Score and Best Sound. I'm a bit disappointed another indie wasn't able to make it in the feature category. I was hoping Calamity, Bombay Rose or Ride Your Wave would manage to break through since it was a weak year for Hollywood animation. I'm surprised Pixar's Out didn't get nominated, but I'm glad Burrow did. It was a cute short and it was refreshing to see 2D animation coming from a big studio again. I'm going to try to watch the other shorts in the category to have an informed opinion as to who deserves to win.
Best Animated Feature

Onward
Over the Moon
Soul
Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Short

Burrow
Genius Loci
If Anything Happens I Love You
Opera
Yes-People

Best Visual Effects

Love and Monsters
The Midnight Sky
Mulan
The One and Only Ivan
Tenet
Source: https://www.oscars.org/news/93rd-oscars ... -announced
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Was a criteria to be nominated that the film/short had to be played in a theater? Isn't there a rule- maybe they got rid of it during the pandemic, I don't know- that to be nominated, it has to play in a Los Angeles theater for 2 weeks (or something)? If so, maybe that's why Out wasn't nominated? I'm glad that The One and Only Ivan is nominated- it's such a gem of a film.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Was a criteria to be nominated that the film/short had to be played in a theater? Isn't there a rule- maybe they got rid of it during the pandemic, I don't know- that to be nominated, it has to play in a Los Angeles theater for 2 weeks (or something)? If so, maybe that's why Out wasn't nominated? I'm glad that The One and Only Ivan is nominated- it's such a gem of a film.
Out made the ten film shortlist, so it was eligible.

The Academy did have a rule that if the studio could prove a movie had a planned theatrical release and the pandemic caused them to release it straight to VOD or streaming, it was still eligible for the Oscars. That's how Burrow, The One and Only Ivan, Mulan and Soul were nominated, despite being released on Disney+ in the US rather having a theatrical run.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Was a criteria to be nominated that the film/short had to be played in a theater? Isn't there a rule- maybe they got rid of it during the pandemic, I don't know- that to be nominated, it has to play in a Los Angeles theater for 2 weeks (or something)?
For an animated short to become eligible for the Oscars it has to either 1) be screened for seven consecutive days, at least once per day, at a commercial theater in LA county or in the City of New York or 2) win a qualifying award at a competitive film festival that is approved by AMPAS. For this year, short films that had planned a theatrical release but were instead given a digital or streaming release because of the pandemic, could become eligible if they were submitted to the Academy's digital screening room within sixty days of its commercial release. For the shorts that opted for a theatrical release, the qualifying counties were expanded to thirteen in six different cities and drive-in theaters were considered eligible which weren't before. When it came to shorts that qualified through festivals, the Academy allowed virtual festivals that were screening films through a transactional paywall or a password-protected entry to remain eligible.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thanks to both of you for explaining! :pink: :pink: