DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Gargoyles has never been showed on TV where I live, but it's just the kind of thing I would have loved as a kid (but at least they showed W.I.T.C.H.):

https://www.polygon.com/disney-plus/202 ... chronicles

Quote:
Gargoyles was nearly the center of a vast Disney Cinematic Universe

Plus: How OJ Simpson helped kill the show, and much more from creator Greg Weisman

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:00 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

For the past 20 years, Greg Weisman has shared extensive information about his Gargoyles spin-off concepts on his website AskGreg. Fans have added all that information to the GargWiki for those curious (https://gargwiki.net/Main_Page). Each title should have a GargWiki article on it with relevant information. Off the top of my head, there was Bad Guys (the only one that was actually realized, as a comic book series in the late noughts), TimeDancer, Gargoyles: 2198, Gargoyles: The Dark Ages, Pendragon, and The New Olympians. Many of these concepts had backdoor pilots during the famously long “Avalon World Tour” arch.

It’s an exciting time to see this reported as news, however. With Disney+ and a seeming renewed interest in the original series, the timing is ripe for a Gargoyles revival.

Disney, pretty please!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 pm 
Platinum Edition

^ Would you mind a revival (you mean a reboot like DuckTales {is that not considered a reboot?!} or just bringing back the original episodes?) if the animation style was different (again, comparing it to DT), or if the tone was different?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:29 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

blackcauldron85 wrote:
^ Would you mind a revival (you mean a reboot like DuckTales {is that not considered a reboot?!} or just bringing back the original episodes?) if the animation style was different (again, comparing it to DT), or if the tone was different?

I think for a lot of Gargoyles fans, the most important ingredient to make new Gargoyles episodes is to return Greg Weisman to the series in a creative capacity. I can live with a reboot (although I’d prefer a revival which to me is more like the new seasons of Will and Grace and Roseanne, whereas DuckTales is more like a reboot) and a different animation style, but if Greg Weisman was there I could trust that the show would feel like Gargoyles and that the storytelling would be top notch. If Disney announced a new Gargoyles show tomorrow without Greg Weisman attached, I would have no interest and there’d probably be lots of angry internet feature articles and fan petitions going around.

There’s history to this: the third season of Gargoyles was rebranded as “Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles” and while all the characters, their voices, and their designs remained the same, the entire creative team who had produced the first two seasons of the show were absent from the third season. Compared to the first two seasons, the “Goliath Chronicles” is pretty bad and most fans (and Greg Weisman) consider it non-canon.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:25 pm 
Limited Edition

So Polygon decides to publish old news as something fresh? Great. But who knows, maybe there is a reason why they decide to do it now (as already mentioned).

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:11 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I never watched this show except for brief excerpts that would play on TV sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if they revive this show especially since there's a lot of focus on it in the Sorcerer's Arena app game.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey