DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:08 am 
Special Edition

thanks I hate it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:56 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney changing their entire business model to center it around streaming is premature, if not ill-conceived. Netflix is overvalued, artificially inflated by Wall Street, with a single source of revenue and limited capacity for growth. Abruptly changing a tried-and-true company structure to chase after something similar is short-sighted. Disney should have waited until theaters bounced back before making such a dramatic change.

More info on the restructure.

The Walt Disney Company Announces Strategic Reorganization of Its Media and Entertainment Businesses
https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/the-wa ... inesses-2/

Disney says its 'primary focus' for entertainment is streaming — announces a major reorg
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disney- ... sumer.html

Disney’s Streaming Reorganization Cheers Investors but Confuses Insiders
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/disn ... 234803258/

Disney's Reorganization Raises More Questions for Investors
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... -investors

Disney’s Streaming Pivot: How Will New Structure Work in Practice?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... n-practice

Is Disney Playing For Keeps With ESPN?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... -with-espn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:25 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

According to Cartoon Brew this restructuring means that Disney will no longer produce films specifically for theatres or for streaming. They will just make films, and then decide later how to release them.

As I see it, this means that in the future when Pixar, WDAS or Blue Sky are making a movie that Disney does not deem a right fit for theatres, they can easily downgrade it to a streaming exclusive. Can you imagine the latest Pixar or WDAS film available only on Disney+? Can the film-makers complain about this?

I wouldn't be so nervous with this development if there was some reassurance from Disney that animated movies from these studios would still receive a physical release some time after their streaming premieres. However, I simply cannot confirm whether this is the case.

I still don't know whether Soul is merely premiering exclusively on Disney+ only to make its physical blu-ray/UHD debut later, or if the only way to watch it will be solely on Disney+ (à la Artemis Fowl).

I've said this before but I simply cannot accept that to be able to watch a varied amount of films in the future I will require Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Peacock, Apple TV+, and Amazon Prime Video subscriptions all at the same time (if not more.)

This will never happen as I cannot afford that on my paltry teacher's wage. I also find these practices to be bullying and daylight robbery, and I would think twice to subscribing to all those services even if I were a millionaire and able to afford them easily - if only to uphold my principles. I currently have a Netflix subscription and pay my cable TV bills. Given that I and many others the world over have other, increasingly important expenses in our lives, I fail to see why one must now be rich to have simultaneous access to films from Disney, Warner Bros., Columbia, Paramount and other studios. That privilege was available even to low income families via rental schemes throughout the VHS, DVD and Blu-ray era. But oh no, in the world of streaming only the privileged and well-to-do will have this luxury.

With physical media I can purchase or rent the movies I want, from whichever studio I choose, without having to commit to multiple monthly subscriptions which include a bajillion movies I will never watch. If I ever get Disney+, it will be just for new animated films that are unavailable elsewhere. I have all the WDAS and Pixar films on blu-ray and UHD - I don't need Disney's mouldy streaming service for that - and I have no special interest in Disney's live-action library (at least not enough to warrant paying a monthly subscription.)

I'm not the only on to feel this way, am I? :|

This will sound bitter, but I kind of wish that the streaming wars will blow up in the studios' faces. I don't have a problem with streaming, but it needs to favour the consumer. The current system is broken and I don't know how there aren't more people, especially in the US, who are complaining vociferously about it.

The following emoji normally accompanies hysterical posts on this board, but I am using it here in the sincerest way possible: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I am angry!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:41 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I think what I'm about to say will be extremely unpopular, but personally I don't think watching movies is a necessity (no one is going to die from not watching a film, unlike lack of food, bad hygiene, etc...).
I also don't think $7-10 a month is such an unaffordable price. My suggestion is doing a rotation instead of subscribing to everything at once (that's what I'd do if I lived in the US).

Regarding Disney's decision, I think WDAS, Pixar, MCU, Star Wars and some remakes will definitely get a theatrical release (whenever the pandemic is over). I think this decision has more to do with films like Artemis or Ivan, the kind that don't have the potential to be huge box office successes. IDK I can see a WDAS/Pixar film get this treatment if they might think it's another Good Dinosaur.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:46 pm 
Special Edition

New Onscreen Content Disclaimer to play before certain titles:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/disn ... 234806732/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:06 pm 
Platinum Edition

More info on the new disclaimers and which films are affected.

Disney+ Adds Stronger “Cultural Depictions” Advisory Language to Select Streaming Titles
https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... ng-titles/

Six Disney Classics Tagged For Racist Imagery On Disney+
https://deadline.com/2020/10/disney-rac ... 234598855/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:42 am 
Platinum Edition

Advisories and parental requirements are the best way to go about it. This avoids anything in the censorship vein.

@Jules: I'm surprised there isn't more anger over those things as well. Maybe there is latent resentment among most consumers, but there's really no one place to vent that frustration online? Idk. The lack of physical release for a lot of streaming media is definitely the one that makes me the most P.O.'d; I understand exclusivity for the first six months to a year, but after that point the show or film should have a physical release... I feel like if streaming is going to become practically required to view everything, then every area in the U.S. should have access to high speed Internet and streaming. It's now going to come down to one's social status or location as to whether you can view the newest Disney film or not. :roll: The only thing I can think of is--for those who do have access to streaming--is to pay for one service one month, cut it off, pay for a different one the next month, and so on. I thought about asking a friend if I could pay them to stream Disney+ for one month so that I could watch the things I wanted and then they cut it back off, for example. :lol: It's not like there's that much on any particular platform now with everything having been divided to its own individual streaming service... Netflix seemed pitiful to me last time I looked at it; barely anything on there worth caring about, imo, when it used to have the vast majority of the newest films.

Kesha ~ "Kinky"
Kesha ~ "Little Bit of Love"

Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:09 am 
Platinum Edition

farerb wrote:
I think what I'm about to say will be extremely unpopular, but personally I don't think watching movies is a necessity (no one is going to die from not watching a film, unlike lack of food, bad hygiene, etc...).

For me watching movies is a necessity. I suspect it is for many others.

I wouldn't die from lack of it but I'd be miserable and go crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:29 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Necessity is bed, shelter, food, clothes, health, etc...
Movies are a luxury, might be cheap but a luxury nonetheless, just like smartphones and cars and a trip to Disneyland, some might "need" them, mainly because they've gotten used to them, but they don't really need them in order to survive.

I'm sorry but in the end these films are Disney's (or any other studio's) property and they're allowed to do with them as they please (as much as I want Roger Rabbit to get a 4K physical release) and we're not entitled to free/cheap entertainment, we're not entitled to have everything at one place. However we are allowed to not purchase any of it and that might cause them to change the way they operate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:13 am 
Platinum Edition

It's a necessity for me. You can disagree if you want.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:14 pm 
Special Edition

Jules wrote:
I've said this before but I simply cannot accept that to be able to watch a varied amount of films in the future I will require Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, Peacock, Apple TV+, and Amazon Prime Video subscriptions all at the same time (if not more.)

This will never happen as I cannot afford that on my paltry teacher's wage. I also find these practices to be bullying and daylight robbery, and I would think twice to subscribing to all those services even if I were a millionaire and able to afford them easily - if only to uphold my principles. I currently have a Netflix subscription and pay my cable TV bills. Given that I and many others the world over have other, increasingly important expenses in our lives, I fail to see why one must now be rich to have simultaneous access to films from Disney, Warner Bros., Columbia, Paramount and other studios. That privilege was available even to low income families via rental schemes throughout the VHS, DVD and Blu-ray era. But oh no, in the world of streaming only the privileged and well-to-do will have this luxury.

With physical media I can purchase or rent the movies I want, from whichever studio I choose, without having to commit to multiple monthly subscriptions which include a bajillion movies I will never watch. If I ever get Disney+, it will be just for new animated films that are unavailable elsewhere. I have all the WDAS and Pixar films on blu-ray and UHD - I don't need Disney's mouldy streaming service for that - and I have no special interest in Disney's live-action library (at least not enough to warrant paying a monthly subscription.)

This is such a hyperbolic affirmation. You're not required to sign them all. In fact, you're not required to sign even more than one at the same time - or even none at all. If someone works full time, I'm really troubled to think how they would have time to use all these streaming services at once. You're not commiting to multiple monthly subscriptions. Sign up on one month, cancel, sign up to another one, and shift. I highly doubt even the owners of these streaming services are expecting someone to be using them all at the same time.

Also, I agree with you completely, farerb. Much as I love movies (and theatre, for that matter), they would be the first things to go should I ever need to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:41 am 
Platinum Edition

So because you don't need movies to live it's ok to be miserable without them that's the message ok thanks I hate it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:00 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

No, we're talking about perspective here. This pandemic has hurt a lot if people. Not only death, but unemployment, medical care, etc... People don't have a way to pay rent or bills or medical bills and generally can't make ends meet, so forgive me that I don't feel sorry for people who want ALL streaming services at the same time, one streaming service is affordable for a family who has average income, it's not something that only rich people can afford and like other people suggested - a rotation is a good solution so it's not like no one can enjoy anything ever.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:56 pm 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
Much as I love movies (and theatre, for that matter), they would be the first things to go should I ever need to.
Nobody was talking about choosing between paying your rent or movies though... I thought Jules was talking about a company being outrageous towards their own consumers. It would be like if they randomly priced a new film at $70 or something (which isn't that far off a comparison since Mulan cost $30 on top of the streaming fee for anyone who wanted to see it).* What about all the money the theaters and the people that work there will lose in the long run because of Disney's slow move to digital only? Disney was already bilking theaters from what I've read, jacking up the percentage of what they get back more and more over the years. I do hope Disney ends up losing a great deal of $$$ in the long run because of these decisions.

* I actually think it's worse than that because I believe they're transitioning to a place where you're not even going to be given an option of paying for a physical copy at all, overpriced or otherwise. You buy their streaming service or nada--and even then you're just "renting," not "owning."

Kesha ~ "Kinky"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:42 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh. Ok, farerb, I do agree with that that you just said.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:25 am 
Platinum Edition

Big Disney Fan wrote:
Sotiris wrote:
‘The Lego Star Wars Holiday Special’: Disney+ Sets Premiere Date For Streamer’s First Lego Special
https://deadline.com/2020/08/the-lego-s ... 203012566/

So they're doing the infamous holiday special in Legos, but not the original holiday special itself? Interesting.

Casting and Teaser Artwork Revealed for ‘LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special’
https://www.awn.com/news/casting-and-te ... ay-special

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:51 am 
Limited Edition

Hi guys,

Long time since I've been here. Lots of things have happened in my life since, the most drastic being a traffic-accident that has crippled and scarred my left arm for good (I can no longer stretch it fully) But I'm glad I can still use it, although it took a long time and much therapy to get as much as possible strength back in my arm and hand. But it will never be as before the accident happened.

About Disney plus:
I have subscribed to Disney plus, but I do have mixed feelings about this streaming service.
First of all, I still miss a lot of classic cartoon features: just a handful of Silly Symphonies for instance; and why are there no more classic shorts of Mickey, Donald and the gang? I'm hoping they will also put on some of the great sitcoms from the 1980's, like 'Golden Girls', but I haven't seen them yet.
The thing that most annoys me are these 'warnings' Disney plus now puts in front of several classic animated features. Apparently they want to serve the 'woke'/sjw crowd with this, but I'm afraid they can never be satisfied. I cannot believe that the majority of viewers are happy with these 'warnings' or rather 'apologies'! I'm glad I already have an extensive collection of Disney movies on DVD' and Bluray, so that I can be spared this kind of pandering. Your thoughts on this action from Disney? (You get it: I'm un-woke and I won't apologise for that).

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:36 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Welcome back, BelleGirl! I am sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you’re doing okay now. It’s good that your hard work with physical therapy has paid off and you can still use your arm.

As for the advisories on Disney+, I have to say they don’t bother me at all and I think they are appropriate. And they are much, much, much better than the alternative which is censorship.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:27 pm 
Collector's Edition

When will they release Godmothered !!!!!??

I am sick of wating :|

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:44 pm 
Platinum Edition

I’m sorry about your accident, BelleGirl. I support the advisories--for those who want them. I don’t own Disney+ (because high-speed isn't an option where I live), but can’t you merely skip or fast-forward them? Ultimately Disney markets themselves as being for everyone. No doubt there are many who don't like them, but I imagine there are others who do...

Kesha ~ "Kinky"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next