DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 46  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:13 am 
Special Edition

Some shows and episodes don't have Skandinavian languages and only subtitles. The Hercules TV show , Mighty Ducks TV show only has Swedish, Danish and Norweigan subtitles but not the dubs. Maybe Disney has lost the dubbing tapes?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:18 am 
Gold Collection

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Patricier21 wrote:
Maleficent Mistress of Evil extras? Highly recommended movie btw, especially/even coming from someone who overall hates the 1st one :)

Trailer
"You Can't Stop the Girl"
Aurora's Wedding
Extended Scene: Philip and Aurora Dance
Extended Scene: The Queen Comforts Aurora
If You Had Wings
Lickspittle
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil VFX Reel
Origins of the Fey
Outtakes

:) The Rocketeer?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:54 am 
Platinum Edition

Patricier21 wrote:
:) The Rocketeer?

Just a 1 minute clip. Nothing else.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:10 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Something that hit me yesterday is "Winnie the Pooh and A Day for Eeyore" should be on Disney+. This short did receive a theatrical release, after all, and is even included as a bonus feature on "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" DVD and Blu-Ray. There is a decent amount of Pooh material on there, including the theatrical features and some of the shows. So "A Day for Eeyore" is a logical inclusion.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:50 pm 
Platinum Edition

100% agree. I was really annoyed when they didn't include it on Disney+ as a separate feature or even an extra for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Even the restoration on the Blu-Ray was pretty terrible and didn't match the rest of the film.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:26 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

The quality for "The Brave Little Tailor" is also fairly awful, worse than the 2001 Mickey In Color DVD. It's also the only cartoon, as far as I know, that has the Buena Vista logo rather than RKO.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:47 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

JeanGreyForever wrote:
100% agree. I was really annoyed when they didn't include it on Disney+ as a separate feature or even an extra for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Even the restoration on the Blu-Ray was pretty terrible and didn't match the rest of the film.

Something I've always found bizarre is the version on the DVD (I don't have the Many Adventures Blu-Ray) credits the wrong actors. For example, it lists Jim Cummings, even though he wasn't in the short.

I hope when they do eventually add "A Day for Eeyore" on Disney+, they use the correct credits.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:32 pm 
Platinum Edition

Big Disney Fan wrote:
The quality for "The Brave Little Tailor" is also fairly awful, worse than the 2001 Mickey In Color DVD. It's also the only cartoon, as far as I know, that has the Buena Vista logo rather than RKO.

I haven't seen it on Disney+ yet but that's not encouraging at all. I wonder why Disney went that route. There seems to be no oversight on this with all the concern being dedicated towards censoring films like Lilo & Stitch and Splash.

estefan wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:

Something I've always found bizarre is the version on the DVD (I don't have the Many Adventures Blu-Ray) credits the wrong actors. For example, it lists Jim Cummings, even though he wasn't in the short.

I hope when they do eventually add "A Day for Eeyore" on Disney+, they use the correct credits.

I'll have to check the Blu-Ray to see if that mistake is retained but I would be surprised if they did in fact fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:45 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Big Disney Fan wrote:

I haven't seen it on Disney+ yet but that's not encouraging at all. I wonder why Disney went that route. There seems to be no oversight on this with all the concern being dedicated towards censoring films like Lilo & Stitch and Splash.

Frankly, most of the other cartoons' quality were different than their respective Treasures DVDs as well. Most of them reflected the quality of the Have a Laugh versions of 2009-2012. Those that weren't on that series, however, like many of the '50s Donald cartoons, were derivative of the Treasures set.

What I would like to know, however, is when exactly was "Brave Little Tailor" released on Disney Plus? Because it seemed to have appeared without any announcement.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:35 pm 
Platinum Edition

Big Disney Fan wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
Big Disney Fan wrote:

Frankly, most of the other cartoons' quality were different than their respective Treasures DVDs as well. Most of them reflected the quality of the Have a Laugh versions of 2009-2012. Those that weren't on that series, however, like many of the '50s Donald cartoons, were derivative of the Treasures set.

What I would like to know, however, is when exactly was "Brave Little Tailor" released on Disney Plus? Because it seemed to have appeared without any announcement.

Wow, so much for Disney having restored all their classic shorts then. That's clearly not the case if they feel the need to use old masters from the Have a Laugh DVDs. The few shorts I watched must have been from the Treasures DVD set like the Silly Symphonies and some of the Donald ones so that's why I hadn't noticed a quality drop.

I'm not sure when it was released either. They've been releasing a lot of new films and some old Walt-era live-action films on Disney+ with no fanfare so it's hard to tell what's coming out and when.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:01 pm 
Gold Collection

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Wow, so much for Disney having restored all their classic shorts then. That's clearly not the case if they feel the need to use old masters from the Have a Laugh DVDs. The few shorts I watched must have been from the Treasures DVD set like the Silly Symphonies and some of the Donald ones so that's why I hadn't noticed a quality drop.

I'm not sure when it was released either. They've been releasing a lot of new films and some old Walt-era live-action films on Disney+ with no fanfare so it's hard to tell what's coming out and when.

What do you mean? The Have a Laughs are not DVDs, they were played on the Disney Channel and Youtube. They were made after Disney digitally enhanced its animated films in the mid-2000s.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:09 pm 
Gold Collection

Big Disney Fan wrote:

I figured they would add the latest restored version. When they first give BLT its own box it didn't have the introduction window. You would click and it would take you right to the film.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:22 pm 
Platinum Edition

willard wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:

What do you mean? The Have a Laughs are not DVDs, they were played on the Disney Channel and Youtube. They were made after Disney digitally enhanced its animated films in the mid-2000s.

They were released on DVD though. I haven't seen them on DVD but it wouldn't be surprising to me if they just used the transfers from the DVDs.
https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Laugh-Vol ... B07TN23QZT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:11 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

JeanGreyForever wrote:

I think they have restored them all. However, apparently they cannot be bothered to do a thorough search of their C: Drive for the latest restoration of the films in question and just dump whatever first turns up in their search, even if it’s a VHS master. :P

Brave Little Tailor is presented in a restored HD transfer on the “Celebrating Mickey” blu-ray set.

From what I’ve read online there is no comparison with how Warners is treating their classic animated shorts on HBO Max. It’s almost like Disney is ashamed of these films and thinks people will ridicule them if they drop them on Disney+ with great fanfare.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:54 pm 
Platinum Edition

Jules wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:

I think they have restored them all. However, apparently they cannot be bothered to do a thorough search of their C: Drive for the latest restoration of the films in question and just dump whatever first turns up in their search, even if it’s a VHS master. :P

Brave Little Tailor is presented in a restored HD transfer on the “Celebrating Mickey” blu-ray set.

From what I’ve read online there is no comparison with how Warners is treating their classic animated shorts on HBO Max. It’s almost like Disney is ashamed of these films and thinks people will ridicule them if they drop them on Disney+ with great fanfare.

One would hope they have indeed restored them because they claim a lot, but how true can any of it be especially when they know nobody is going to be checking on them to hold them accountable. But knowing Disney, they are the type to preserve all their old films (such as Song of the South) but then have no interest in ever making them available to the public.

The fact that Brave Little Tailor is available in other places as HD but not on Disney+ is just inexcusable. I don't see why Disney can't just release them all and if they don't think they're worthy of promotion (I'm sure they would get many older subscribers), then don't bother promoting them. They've been releasing tons of new films and stuff without any promotion whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:34 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Jean wrote:
One would hope they have indeed restored them because they claim a lot, but how true can any of it be especially when they know nobody is going to be checking on them to hold them accountable. But knowing Disney, they are the type to preserve all their old films (such as Song of the South) but then have no interest in ever making them available to the public.

The bolded part is key. They do restore even when they have no intention of making a film public and profiting from it. Song of the South is the perfect example. Even if that film remains out of circulation until the Earth is swallowed up into our red giant sun, Disney will not be leaving the nitrate film to decompose in the vault. If humanity leaves planet Earth prior to the aforementioned apocalypse, I'm confident Song of the South will leave with it. :P

Jean wrote:
The fact that Brave Little Tailor is available in other places as HD but not on Disney+ is just inexcusable. I don't see why Disney can't just release them all and if they don't think they're worthy of promotion (I'm sure they would get many older subscribers), then don't bother promoting them. They've been releasing tons of new films and stuff without any promotion whatsoever.

These sort of things tell me that their is very little love for Disney's own history at the upper levels of the company. I pray the film-makers at WDAS and Pixar (who care about this stuff) can exert some pressure on those on top.

Also, I know the classic Disney shorts are nowhere near as popular as the Warner Bros and MGM output. The latter films are more in line with modern sensibilities despite being the same age as the Disney shorts, and I think for most people Disney Animation is defined by the feature films and not so much the shorts. However, I must reiterate, there is nothing to be ashamed of with these films. The absolute majority are well-crafted and made, and a not insignificant amount are classics and/or masterpieces (even if their pacing and humour is tame by today's standards.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:12 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Jean wrote:

These sort of things tell me that their is very little love for Disney's own history at the upper levels of the company. I pray the film-makers at WDAS and Pixar (who care about this stuff) can exert some pressure on those on top.

Also, I know the classic Disney shorts are nowhere near as popular as the Warner Bros and MGM output. The latter films are more in line with modern sensibilities despite being the same age as the Disney shorts, and I think for most people Disney Animation is defined by the feature films and not so much the shorts. However, I must reiterate, there is nothing to be ashamed of with these films. The absolute majority are well-crafted and made, and a not insignificant amount are classics and/or masterpieces (even if their pacing and humour is tame by today's standards.)[/quote]

If there is no love for the shorts, they would never have released them on Disney Plus at all. We should probably be thankful they released any of them to begin with. I know I am.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:23 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

BDF wrote:
If there is no love for the shorts, they would never have released them on Disney Plus at all. We should probably be thankful they released any of them to begin with. I know I am.

Well, I agree and disagree with this. While I appreciate the fact that they are including the shorts on Disney+, somehow I'm not sure they should be applauded for it as in many ways that would be the least I'd expect if I were a Disney+ subscriber.

Keep in mind that very few of the shorts have turned up on blu-ray. Disney's decision there can be justified to some extent if one considers that those sets may not have sold well at all and resulted in a financial loss for Disney. However, the way I understand it there is no loss to be made by dumping the entire catalogue of shorts on Disney+. The worst that can happen is that people won't watch them much, but there's no risk of expensive-to-manufacture and unsold stock, right?

If my knowledge of how the home video department works and the costs involved in making the shorts available on streaming is wrong or I have failed to consider a very important factor, please feel free to correct me. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:57 am 
Gold Collection

Jules wrote:
BDF wrote:

Well, I agree and disagree with this. While I appreciate the fact that they are including the shorts on Disney+, somehow I'm not sure they should be applauded for it as in many ways that would be the least I'd expect if I were a Disney+ subscriber.

Keep in mind that very few of the shorts have turned up on blu-ray. Disney's decision there can be justified to some extent if one considers that those sets may not have sold well at all and resulted in a financial loss for Disney. However, the way I understand it there is no loss to be made by dumping the entire catalogue of shorts on Disney+. The worst that can happen is that people won't watch them much, but there's no risk of expensive-to-manufacture and unsold stock, right?

If my knowledge of how the home video department works and the costs involved in making the shorts available on streaming is wrong or I have failed to consider a very important factor, please feel free to correct me. :)

Doesn't Disney need to buy more storage space to upload new stuff? But anyhow, they have been uploading more vintage stuff like the True Life Adventures which I doubt are popular with the kids these days so I don't see why the shorts would be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:52 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well I guess I assumed they have space to spare! :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 46  Next