Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

Post by Clindor »

I think Disney is considerably overestimating the success of their new streaming platform and of streaming in general. Some people will still want to have a home cinema and will go on using Blu-rays and other supports to enjoy it in the best conditions.
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

Clindor wrote:I think Disney is considerably overestimating the success of their new streaming platform and of streaming in general. Some people will still want to have a home cinema and will go on using Blu-rays and other supports to enjoy it in the best conditions.
I think this is why Disney intends to continue to support physical media.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

they're not over estimating anything, it'll be a huge hit. And its smart to partner with hulu with that bundle to help transition people to it. This isn't just about Disney movies, its their delivery platform for their movies, all the movies under their umbrella in general, and tons of original content as well. For the average joe its looking to have more appealing content than probably even netflix.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Kyle wrote:they're not over estimating anything, it'll be a huge hit.
That’s not what the first studies said though. Apparently it will take time before the system becomes eventually truly profitable.

And yeah, selling films on discs will still be making money for them.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I think, of the upcoming streaming services, Disney+ will be by far the most successful. Disney is an incredibly recognisable brand among audiences and most importantly, it's trusted by most parents. For the price it's reportedly going at, it's an easy sell for parents who want to have something readily available for their children to watch. Through in all of the Marvel and Star Wars material that will appeal to fanboys and if they're smart, plenty of classic Disney and Fox titles for those who are interested in that material like myself, I expect Disney+ to find plenty of wide ranging subscribers.

Warner Bros dos have their classic film and DC catalogue in their favour. They also have some promising original content in the pipeline, like a "Gremlins" animated series, and are smartly putting a big emphasis on HBO. I can see a lot of HBO subscribers just switching over to WB's streaming service. Won't be as big as Disney, but I think HBO Max will do okay.

NBC Universal is the streamer I'm expecting to have trouble gaining a leg-up in the streaming wars. Universal isn't as big a name brand as Disney and WB, although they also have a lot of great stuff in their library. I think this will be the one where people think "yeah, this is one streamer too many for me."
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Clindor wrote:
Kyle wrote:they're not over estimating anything, it'll be a huge hit.
That’s not what the first studies said though. Apparently it will take time before the system becomes eventually truly profitable.

And yeah, selling films on discs will still be making money for them.
It wont hit the ground running exactly, that's true of any new streaming service. But once word of mouth spreads it shouldn't take long. I'm sure Disney will increase the price as the value proposition (ie amount of content) increases in the months and years to come. that's when it will be truly be profitable. They cant just come out the gate charging what they want, they gotta "boil the frog" so to speak, so people don't really notice.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney+ and Big Cable Team Up to Crack Down on Password Sharing, and Now We're Freaked Out
https://gizmodo.com/disney-and-big-cabl ... 314920/amp
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Disney Unveils International Roll-Out Of Disney+ Streaming Service; Reveals Details In Canada, Holland, Australia & New Zealand
https://deadline.com/2019/08/disney-int ... 202671080/

basically, Canada and Holland will get in on November 12, while Australia and NZ will get in on November 19
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Still nothing on a UK release ? Assume it's replacing Disney Life over here, as the two can't run side by side.
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

Disney also has an indian streaming service, and apparently, the original service is getting the Disney+ originals instead of closing and Disney+ opening there... maybe they have something like that in mind for Disney Life?

I've heard a lot about Sky owning the rights for several Disney movies, so maybe that's been impacting on creating a timeline for the release over there
rodrigo_ca
Special Edition

Post by rodrigo_ca »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7zW53OuvMg

Disney released a trailer for the service at D23.
blackcauldron85

Pretty bummed that if you want to binge-watch, you'll have to wait for many weeks. But business-wise it makes sense, so people need to stay subscribed and not just cancel after watching a few series...

Disney Plus will give you 4 simultaneous streams, 4K at no cost
Disney's original episodes will be released weekly instead of in one, big, bingeable bunch.
https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plus-w ... t-no-cost/
(via Fandom)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Is there any info on what will be available in 4K? Will there be films that will be in 4K even though they were not released on Blu-ray?
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

I’m really curious what Disney intends to do about the content it is putting on Hulu in markets where Hulu is unavailable. Will we Canadians have the ability to stream Hulu-only content through Disney+ or are we just out of luck? I suppose it’s possible Disney keeps working with Netflix and other local streaming platforms (a lot of Hulu originals end up on CraveTV streaming in Canada) for the time being, but I really would love to see them just give it to us through Disney+; at least until they eventually launch Hulu internationally.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I actually prefer watching at a scheduled time or at least a new episode being released every week over the entire season being out at once.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
blackcauldron85

@EricVespe
The most interesting thing about the Disney+ demo was how they are integrating bonus features for some titles, including deleted scenes, documentaries and commentaries. They said “a bunch.” As a physical media guy this is very appealing.
:pink: I was hoping for this.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Widdi wrote:I’m really curious what Disney intends to do about the content it is putting on Hulu in markets where Hulu is unavailable. Will we Canadians have the ability to stream Hulu-only content through Disney+ or are we just out of luck? I suppose it’s possible Disney keeps working with Netflix and other local streaming platforms (a lot of Hulu originals end up on CraveTV streaming in Canada) for the time being, but I really would love to see them just give it to us through Disney+; at least until they eventually launch Hulu internationally.
I don't know about Canada, but where I live it is possible to watch several Hulu shows like Runaways, Castle Rock and Handmaid's Tale on HBO.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Highlights from the Disney Plus presentation and red-carpet interviews with the cast and crew of the projects presented.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

blackcauldron85 wrote:@EricVespe
The most interesting thing about the Disney+ demo was how they are integrating bonus features for some titles, including deleted scenes, documentaries and commentaries. They said “a bunch.” As a physical media guy this is very appealing.
:pink: I was hoping for this.
I'm glad to hear that, but I hate the thought of Disney producing all of these new goodies which will never be released on physical media.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Anyone knows if there's any way to subscribe to the US Disney+ from outside the US?