Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Disney Plus (Streaming Service)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I’m sorry about your accident, BelleGirl. I support the advisories--for those who want them. I don’t own Disney+ (because high-speed isn't an option where I live), but can’t you merely skip or fast-forward them? Ultimately Disney markets themselves as being for everyone. No doubt there are many who don't like them, but I imagine there are others who do...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I’m sorry about your accident, BelleGirl. I support the advisories--for those who want them. I don’t own Disney+ (because high-speed isn't an option where I live), but can’t you merely skip or fast-forward them? Ultimately Disney markets themselves as being for everyone. No doubt there are many who don't like them, but I imagine there are others who do...
Disney's Divinity,

Actually I don't know if you can skip them, I haven't tried. I only read it in the news. I'll not be surprised if you can't. I don't see the point anyway to watch these movies on Disney+ when I have them on DVD. (I have a beamer at home with a projection screen to watch my movies! :D )

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I read elsewhere that they're not only putting these advisories before this list of films but also they can no longer be accessed through a child's account? if that's true that sucks! b/c that's gonna make these films even harder for kids to stumble onto and access, possibly causing them to become obscure and fade out of public consciousness in the future... many feel that's what happened to older characters like the Flintstones and Looney Tunes once they were removed from heavy basic cable rotation in the 90's and became exclusive to TCM and expensive disc collectors sets. I worry Oliver and Company will eventually join the list...with the villain threatening a child with a loaded gun and many feeling that Tito's a Mexican stereotype...sigh. :|

Jules wrote:According to Cartoon Brew this restructuring means that Disney will no longer produce films specifically for theatres or for streaming. They will just make films, and then decide later how to release them.

As I see it, this means that in the future when Pixar, WDAS or Blue Sky are making a movie that Disney does not deem a right fit for theatres, they can easily downgrade it to a streaming exclusive. Can you imagine the latest Pixar or WDAS film available only on Disney+? Can the film-makers complain about this?

I wouldn't be so nervous with this development if there was some reassurance from Disney that animated movies from these studios would still receive a physical release some time after their streaming premieres. However, I simply cannot confirm whether this is the case.
yeah also my fear is what will happen to the quality of films themselves, especially the animated films. Disney might eventually feel that its not worth throwing bigger budgets and costlier talent on films they consider more kid friendly, kinda like what happened with the DTV sequels. Especially if they're just gonna end up being babysitter fodder for smaller screens. :(
farerb wrote:I also don't think $7-10 a month is such an unaffordable price. My suggestion is doing a rotation instead of subscribing to everything at once (that's what I'd do if I lived in the US).
right...that will work for now, until the studios get fed up with it and start forcing subscribers into 2+ year contracts. The whole selling point about streaming was that it was a less expensive alternative to the skyrocketing costs of cable. But more and more looks like its just gonna end up being the new "cable." :roll:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Regarding streaming becoming the new cable, the advent of streaming services is actually doing what I long wanted cable to do for years. I never understood the point of paying for so many channels, a good amount of which you will never watch. I always thought you should be able to pick and choose the channels you want in your package.

With streaming, that's possible. I can pay for Netflix and Disney+ and only those services. I'm not forced to add other streaming services I will rarely or never watch on top of those.
DisneyFan97 wrote:When will they release Godmothered !!!!!??

I am sick of wating :|
Probably in December. It is a Christmas movie and it already has its MPAA rating, so the film is likely finished. We will probably see confirmation of a release date sometime in the next few weeks.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Don't know if it has been posted yet, but there is still a lot of material left that's unavailable:

Over 600 Disney-Owned Films And Shows Missing From Disney Plus

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/over-300- ... sney-plus/
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Don't know if it has been posted yet, but there is still a lot of material left that's unavailable:

Over 600 Disney-Owned Films And Shows Missing From Disney Plus

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/over-300- ... sney-plus/

Might be able to remove Anastasia 1997 from that list soon, as it will be leaving HBO Max on November 30th.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/watch-t ... ember-2020
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

What's On Disney Plus is reporting that as part of its expansion into Latin America on November 17th, Mexican viewers will get it as part of Izzi, a cable and telecommunications company owned by Grupo Televisa, Mexico's biggest media conglomerate.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-co ... xcos-izzi/
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

OK, this is completely random, but despite Disney+ not being available in my country I am now receiving promotional emails for it in my email inbox! :lol: In fact, it seems Disney is really keen that I know that The Mandalorian Season 2 is now streaming on Disney+. :P

Thanks Disney, but no thanks. :milkbuds:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ I wonder what happens for people there if they try to sign up...does the email have a link to sign up? My same email said "Start Streaming" and had a button to add it to my Watchlist. You click on your link and it says, Just kidding, we don't offer it here, boo to you? :/
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

It does urge me to sign up, meaning Disney knows I am not a registered subscriber.

On clicking it, however, I am greeted by a a blue-purple screen. If I scroll down I get an image of the Disney+ interface with a foreground image of a family of four watching on the sofa. On top there is the Disney+ logo and a clickable button with the text "Keep Me Updated", but it doesn't work.

I am fairly certain something should be showing up in place of the blue-purple screen but is getting blocked due to my geographical location. Also, there is definitely no way for me to sign up at present (from this screen, at any rate ...)
Amy wrote:You click on your link and it says, Just kidding, we don't offer it here, boo to you? :/
Does it really say that to you!? :o That's rather cheeky, lol! :lol: (Or are you pulling my leg? :P )
blackcauldron85

No, I am a subscriber, so it would just bring me to the site, but I was just wondering what kind of message you'd get since you received the email but they don't offer the service in your country! :p
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

blackcauldron85 wrote:No, I am a subscriber, so it would just bring me to the site, but I was just wondering what kind of message you'd get since you received the email but they don't offer the service in your country! :p
:lol: No, rest assured I got no such message! However, if I did it would have been quite a bit more entertaining than the broken webpage! :P

In all honesty, I would have expected something along the lines of "We're sorry, but Disney+ is not yet available in your territory. Please check back at a later date!"
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

BelleGirl wrote: First of all, I still miss a lot of classic cartoon features: just a handful of Silly Symphonies for instance; and why are there no more classic shorts of Mickey, Donald and the gang?
I imagine part of the issue is the time it takes to restore everything, and wanting to spread things out. I think that's also why a lot of old live action films haven't appeared. That said, I also wish they'd hurry up a bit and add more at a quicker rate; there are hundreds of shorts out there, many of which would have likely been restored to a decent degree when they were released in the Walt Disney Treasures series.
BelleGirl wrote:Apparently they want to serve the 'woke'/sjw crowd with this, but I'm afraid they can never be satisfied. I cannot believe that the majority of viewers are happy with these 'warnings' or rather 'apologies'! I'm glad I already have an extensive collection of Disney movies on DVD' and Bluray, so that I can be spared this kind of pandering. Your thoughts on this action from Disney? (You get it: I'm un-woke and I won't apologise for that).
Erm, I have to say that I would much rather endure a "woke" 10 second warning than have them taken off, or worse, censored. In most cases, it's better to simply re-contextualise art that has certain features that don't meet our current ethical standards rather than simply burn or bury it. I know there will be some who would want them removed or censored, but I ultimately think they are a vocal minority, and I ultimately support the work of activists trying to make our world a fairer place for people often marginalised to some degree or another in our society, whether explicitly or less explicitly.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I really hope Godmothered get released soon !! :(
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I am REALLY sad :( :( :( :cry: :cry:

On Disney Plus , Season one of Duck Tales have gotten a completey new dubb !! :oops: :oops:

With almost entirely new voices ! Instead of the old dub of season one that was done by Media dubb with Siw Malmkvist, John Harryson, Lena Eriksson och Tor Isedal !

It truely breaks my heart ! :cry: :cry: :cry:

How could Disney do this !! :angry: :angry: :angry:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I know that redubbing is not so uncommon. I think some films got a new Spanish dub (or Latin Spanish IDK)...
I can tell you that TV shows from the 90's probably get redubbed because the audio from the 90's was either of low quality (TV shows didn't get the same treatment as theatrical releases) or the audio files were lost. I know that that was the case with the Hebrew dubbing of The Little Mermaid series and it got redubbed unfortunately. Luckily our films remained the same which was not the case in some languages unfortunately.
blackcauldron85

^ I appreciate you giving reasons for why Disney would re-dub; I've always been curious!

Why would the sound files be of lesser quality than the ones from the US-recorded shows? The shows in English haven't had to be re-dubbed...?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I can't say for sure since I'm not really an audiophile, but I have a friend who is so I'm hoping what I'm saying is correct. From what he told me the Hebrew dubs started in the 80's and they were mostly monos, even the theatrical releases while in the US they already started using stereo. We only started using stereo/digital in 1993 and only for theatrical releases. TV was still mono and the quality of the mono varies (?). Today it mostly depends on how it was preserved (or converted to digital) and I think Disney (or other studios) in the US is more strict about these things than in other countries.
blackcauldron85

^ That makes sense. Thank you :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney+ had 8 out of the 30 most-watched SVOD movies in 2020 so far.

Source: https://variety.com/vip/data-borat-2-se ... 234823177/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage