Mickey's 90th Spectacular

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Mickey's 90th Spectacular

Post by Sotiris »

You can watch a trailer for the special, here.
ABC has set a two-hour prime-time special celebrating 90 years of Mickey Mouse to air Sunday, November 4 at 8 PM with 15-time Emmy winner Don Mischer producing and directing. Mickey’s 90th Spectacular will feature musical performances, tributes and never-before-seen short films along with stars from music, film and television to celebrate the birthday of the internationally beloved character. Performances and special appearances will be announced soon.

“I’m delighted to be working on this magical event. Walt Disney was a major influence in my early life and actually inspired me to pursue my life’s work in television,” said Mischer. “It’s remarkable how strongly Mickey Mouse connects with people around the world, and it’s an honor for us to help celebrate such a beloved global icon,” said Don Mischer Productions partners Charlie Haykel and Juliane Hare.

Mickey’s 90th Spectacular is produced by Don Mischer Productions. Don Mischer, Charlie Haykel and Juliane Hare are executive producers. Don Mischer will direct.
Source: https://deadline.com/2018/08/mickey-mou ... 202441555/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Re: Mickey's 90th Spectacular

Post by Sotiris »

Reminder that the special airs tonight at 8|7c on ABC.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I’ve been in and out. Who was that performing “Part of That World” at the beginning? Some of Disney's tween cross-promotion?

I saw Tori Kelly giving a live performance of her phenomenal cover of “Colors of the Wind” from the We Love Disney covers album. Hands down the best version of the song I’ve heard so far aside from Kuhn herself—although Pam Tillis' cover is nice, too. Tori has a gorgeous voice (recently put out a gospel album that I still need to pick up). I remember reading a couple of years ago that they had asked—or at least intended the song for—Whitney Houston (the end credits version, I mean), but Whitney turned it down. That’s a real shame, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Who was that performing “Part of That World” at the beginning? Some of Disney's tween cross-promotion?
That's Sofia Carson. She's most known for playing the Evil Queen's daughter, Evie, in the Descendants franchise.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I saw Tori Kelly giving a live performance of her phenomenal cover of “Colors of the Wind” from the We Love Disney covers album.
I liked her performance too.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I don't have TV service, so I asked my mom to record it, and I just watched it. Sofia, Meghan, Tori, Leslie, + the country band were great. I heard a few seconds of the non-Disney songs- Josh's was really nice, but I was pressed for time & it wasn't Disney-related except for theme. I liked the historical bits...I think anothee hour with more Disney songs and history would've been welcome, IMO.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

This is kind of neat. The company was hired to advertise Mickey merchandise without being allowed to fully show Mickey:

Mickey Mouse Watch Spot Celebrates Famed Character’s 90th Anniversary
https://www.awn.com/news/mickey-mouse-w ... nniversary

Mickey: The True Original Exhibition Celebrates 90 Years of the Head Mouse in Charge
https://www.slashfilm.com/mickey-the-tr ... xhibition/
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Never before seen short films? Sounds interesting, especially if we are talking about really old shorts.

A good reason to celebrate, but I admit that I will celebrate it even more when Steamboat Willie finally enters the public domain in 2024, even if it is too far into the future to really bother about now.