Movies you'd like to see Disney do currently

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Movies you'd like to see Disney do currently

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Yeah, I know there are endless threads about this subject, but searching for the material nothing came up. (if you have a link to a similar thread, then I'll happily comment on that one than on here).

Simply put, in the new Revival Era, what story or type of movie would you like to see Disney do? Maybe something with similar themes explored in later films like Zootopia or BH6, relevant themes related to our society, or maybe something more classic ala Tangled?

For years, in my youth, I liked the idea of Disney doing the Phantom of the Opera, but considering that story's been done to death in many other movies, the musical is super popular, and Disney already having TWO "Beauty and the Beast" stories, a Phantom film made by Disney would just be redundant.

Nowadays I wouldn't mind if they try to do another epic, like a better crafted Black Cauldron, or even try again with Mythology and adapt something out of Greek Mythology again. There's a lot of stories out there which are kid friendly enough that I feel would benefit well from a "Disneyfication".

Another part of me would love if they try a hand drawn adaptation of any of the Oz books, but I feel that's a pipe dream at this point. Aside from Wicked, every other Oz adaptation is never as well remembered as the 1939 film.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Re: Movies you'd like to see Disney do currently

Post by Elladorine »

I've been saying this for years and years now, but I'd love to see a straightforward adaptation of Don Rosa's Life and Times. Figured it was always extremely unlikely though, so I'm happy that we at least have the new DuckTales series instead.

I'd like to see more fairy-tale "classic" type stories. More talking animal films. Something cool and experimental. Musicals. Smart and fun throwbacks to older properties, like what we once got with A Goofy Movie (lower budget movies that don't get lost in trying too hard with visuals and special effects).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

thedisneyspirit wrote: For years, in my youth, I liked the idea of Disney doing the Phantom of the Opera, but considering that story's been done to death in many other movies, the musical is super popular, and Disney already having TWO "Beauty and the Beast" stories, a Phantom film made by Disney would just be redundant.

Nowadays I wouldn't mind if they try to do another epic, like a better crafted Black Cauldron, or even try again with Mythology and adapt something out of Greek Mythology again. There's a lot of stories out there which are kid friendly enough that I feel would benefit well from a "Disneyfication".

Another part of me would love if they try a hand drawn adaptation of any of the Oz books, but I feel that's a pipe dream at this point. Aside from Wicked, every other Oz adaptation is never as well remembered as the 1939 film.
I've always wanted to see Disney do The Phantom of the Opera as well, but having already done Beauty and the Beast and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, I'm not sure they would go for another similar story of a French beauty who become the object of attraction for a deformed man. Frankly, even if Disney did go this route I don't think the current tone of their films would suit the story very well. A gothic film like this would require horror and suspense which can be found in the Walt era classics and even some of the 90s films, but not anything they've done recently. And I couldn't stomach a film with CGI visuals that would probably use a dumbed down title like Masked.

I would like to see Disney try another hand at Greek Mythology if they can actually be accurate this time. I know they considered an Orpheus adaptation with whales but I'd prefer to see one in the original Greek setting with humans. There's also a Middle English version called Sir Orfeo which has a happier ending and could classify as a fantastical epic. But back to Greek mythology though, I know Don Bluth considered Jason and the Golden Fleece so I wouldn't mind that especially since that story wouldn't require as much cleaning up as Hercules' legend did. Wagner's The Ring Cycle would also be a great foray into Norse/German mythology with Brunhilde the valkyrie and Siegfried the epic hero as leads. Of course the ending would need to be changed as well most likely.

I've also always wanted to see Disney do an animated Oz adaptation but it doesn't seem like it's in the cards after so many failed projects. Even their live-action versions have never had much longevity in the public eye. Wish we could have seen the Walt Disney take on it.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

The Anglophile/British book lover in me says, "Disney should adapt Pride and Prejudice."

Who wouldn't want to see Mr. Darcy sing about being in love, or a fancy-dancy ballroom musical number where the mother is singing how she wants her daughters to get married, or a "mwah-ha-ha!" villain song from the philanderer Wickham?

Plus there's 5 Bennet sisters, and that's 2.5x the number of sisters Frozen had, so it'd make 2.5x more money! rotfl
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

A buddy comedy roadtrip adaptation with Play-Dohesque CGI animation of Phantom titled "Masked"... :lol: Probably will be as WTF-ish of an adaptation as Phantom of the Mall.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

A movie with antopomorphic animals in a medieval world with sword fights. :D
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Katurran Odyssee is a book I'd like to see animated.
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

thedisneyspirit wrote:A buddy comedy roadtrip adaptation with Play-Dohesque CGI animation of Phantom titled "Masked"... :lol: Probably will be as WTF-ish of an adaptation as Phantom of the Mall.
That reminds me that Disney technically did make their own Phantom movie. Disney Channel Original Movie Phantom of the Megaplex.
ImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Maybe something with a darker content, like Pinocchio, but without being depressing. And without any formula like funny sidekicks.

Perhaps East of the Sun and West of the Moon, the movie Don Bluth wanted to make after The Secret of NIMH, but which never went into production. Or something post-apocalyptic like Thundarr the Barbarian, or a Disney version of H.G. Wells' The Time Machine.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

thedisneyspirit wrote:For years, in my youth, I liked the idea of Disney doing the Phantom of the Opera, but considering that story's been done to death in many other movies, the musical is super popular, and Disney already having TWO "Beauty and the Beast" stories, a Phantom film made by Disney would just be redundant.
Fair enough, but remember that Walt himself adapted three fairy tale movies in a row. Perhaps it would've been redundant, but Disney are known for recycling settings and themes, so perhaps it could work.

Otherwise, while this suggestion may not be a story, I've always wanted Disney to adapt another movie that takes place in India and that truly explores Indian culture, mythology or religion. Considering that The Jungle Book barely explored it (and was about the junglelife anyways), it would be nice to see if Disney could do a proper exploration of an Indian story.

Otherwise, I wonder if Disney is ever going to tackle a Biblical story. Of course that would certainly be controversial and getting a lot of flack (because of the Disneyfication, duuuh), but I've still wondered if there could be a Biblical story that could've worked in a Disney-mold. And before attacking me, remember that Disney did The Small One, which has it's narrative directly tied to Jesus' birth.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote: Fair enough, but remember that Walt himself adapted three fairy tale movies in a row. Perhaps it would've been redundant, but Disney are known for recycling settings and themes, so perhaps it could work.

Otherwise, while this suggestion may not be a story, I've always wanted Disney to adapt another movie that takes place in India and that truly explores Indian culture, mythology or religion. Considering that The Jungle Book barely explored it (and was about the junglelife anyways), it would be nice to see if Disney could do a proper exploration of an Indian story.

Otherwise, I wonder if Disney is ever going to tackle a Biblical story. Of course that would certainly be controversial and getting a lot of flack (because of the Disneyfication, duuuh), but I've still wondered if there could be a Biblical story that could've worked in a Disney-mold. And before attacking me, remember that Disney did The Small One, which has it's narrative directly tied to Jesus' birth.
Which three fairy tales did Walt do in a row?

I've always been surprised that India is such a large subcontinent but Disney has never really done anything with it besides scrapped projects for The Emperor's Nightingale and Ramayana.

What biblical story would you suggest? The only one I can think of that would work well would be Noah's Ark, which is probably why Disney used it in Fantasia 2000.
ImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Which three fairy tales did Walt do in a row?
Well, perhaps in a row was a wrong term, but he did three, certain well-known fairy tales during his lifetime. And yes, no explanation needed ;)
I've always been surprised that India is such a large subcontinent but Disney has never really done anything with it besides scrapped projects for The Emperor's Nightingale and Ramayana.
Agreed.
What biblical story would you suggest? The only one I can think of that would work well would be Noah's Ark, which is probably why Disney used it in Fantasia 2000.
Well, to be fair, I've never thought about it, but perhaps Adam and Eve could work. But obviously I'm thinking of a full-length feature in the vein of The Prince of Egypt, not just a segment of a Fantasia-movie or a short feature.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

On the live action front, Animorphs. They're already doing K.A Applegate's "The One and Only Ivan" so I don't think it would be a huge stretch. And they have the budget to pull it off.

Animation wise, something original by Chris sanders. Obviously I would prefer hand drawn, but even CG would be interesting so long as they properly translate his style unlike the croods.
I'm not sure there are any fairy tales left I'd want to see that I'm familiar with.

Also, how about for a change of pace, more movies that don't have a magic element as the big hook? Something they don't need CG for. (they could still use it, just not in an obvious way)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Which three fairy tales did Walt do in a row?
Well, perhaps in a row was a wrong term, but he did three, certain well-known fairy tales during his lifetime. And yes, no explanation needed ;)
Well, to be fair, I've never thought about it, but perhaps Adam and Eve could work. But obviously I'm thinking of a full-length feature in the vein of The Prince of Egypt, not just a segment of a Fantasia-movie or a short feature.
Oh, I understand what you mean then.

Adam and Eve would be a really interesting story to adapt but I wonder how people of different faiths would feel about seeing the fall of humanity and God, heaven, and the devil depicted. Not to mention, would the film acknowledge original sin and place the blame on Eve, or blame both Adam and Eve equally. I imagine that Cain's story would be completely omitted with the film ending when Adam and Eve have found each other on Earth, redeemed themselves, and settled down and had children. The same way that Hercules ends with Hercules and Meg together without going into how he ends up killing his children and maybe Meg as well.
ImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Oh, I understand what you mean then.
You should ;) Just kidding ;)
Adam and Eve would be a really interesting story to adapt but I wonder how people of different faiths would feel about seeing the fall of humanity and God, heaven, and the devil depicted. Not to mention, would the film acknowledge original sin and place the blame on Eve, or blame both Adam and Eve equally. I imagine that Cain's story would be completely omitted with the film ending when Adam and Eve have found each other on Earth, redeemed themselves, and settled down and had children. The same way that Hercules ends with Hercules and Meg together without going into how he ends up killing his children and maybe Meg as well.
True.

Otherwise, Disney has never done a story or concept about vikings.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote:Oh, I understand what you mean then.
You should ;) Just kidding ;)

Otherwise, Disney has never done a story or concept about vikings.[/quote]

Lol.

That's true, unless you count the deleted opening for Atlantis. I'm sure there's a plethora of viking stories out there although I'm not too familiar with them unless you count Norse mythology. Although I'm sure Disney would bastardize that the way they did with Greek mythology à la Hercules.
ImageImage
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

They could do an adaption of the "Silverwing" series.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I wouldn't necessarily want to see current Disney make this, but I would have loved a Disney adaptation of Poppy, one of the books set in Dimwood Forest. Disney loves their mice movies and they tend to be some of my favorites as well.

ImageImage
rsandcm1
Limited Issue

Post by rsandcm1 »

willard wrote:They could do an adaption of the "Silverwing" series.

That is something that I have been waiting for for a long time. The "Silverwing" series just seems so perfect for Disney, and could 100% fit it with the Animated Classics Canon.
Whose Line, Boy Meets World, Adventures In Wonderland, Growing Pains, Walker Texas Ranger, 7th Heaven, Brotherly Love, Saved By The Bell, Full House, Muppets Tonight, The Nanny, Home Improvement, Silver Spoons, Family Matters, Reba, The Drew Carey Show,
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:That's true, unless you count the deleted opening for Atlantis.
I was going to mention that, but I was too lazy to mention it, haha :P