Marvel/Disney should do a Howard the Duck film

All topics on all things Marvel.
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

I'd love to see a Howard The Duck animated

Post by HarryCanyon »

I mean Howard made a comeback in Marvel Lego and Ultimate Spider-Man, so i think the poor dude needs an animated movie.

It should be called "Howard: A Different Species of Hero" as it is a separate title away from the Lucas film. Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Animation studios together can make a new adaptation of Steve Gerber's classic Marvel comic featuring the Circus of Crime with the Ringmaster as the villains and i could see Hugh Laurie as Howard's voice plus Kirsten Bell as Beverly's voice plus the guys who did Paperman or Big Hero 6 or Wreck it Ralph as producers using the same animation techniques like Paperman.

Maybe even share the same universe as Big Hero 6.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: I'd love to see a Howard The Duck animated

Post by estefan »

Considering how Howard is a very adult character, he would certainly be considerably cleaned up to be appropriate to a family audience. Even with its PG rating (by 1986 standards, anyway), the earlier movie still had duck nudity and condom jokes.

I always imagined an animated series would be appropriate for Howard, though.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I've always been curious about the original comics, having been exposed to the film as a kid but not really getting it, and trying to watch it later and cringing about the look and feel of the costume. Design-wise, I think it could be an interesting hand-drawn film to suit the style of the comic, although I imagine anyone wanting to produce it would want to go the live-action/CG route. But given that the film is notoriously known as such an enormous bomb, I don't know if anyone would want to touch it with a 10-foot pole.
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

Did you know originally Lucas's film was originally meant to be an animated movie but Universal wanted a major live-action blockbuster movie for the summer of 86 so they went to live-action and some thought having it as a live-action movie was a mistake.

Animation is the only way to do the character justice and it could be thought up as an animated reboot to make people forget the live-action movie ( i do like it as a guilty pleasure as i actually saw that movie in theaters when i was 5) and do you like my ideal title for the film "Howard: A Different Species of Hero"? kind of catchy and to separate it from Lucas's film, kind of like how "Incredible Hulk" is a separate title/film from Ang Lee's Hulk or "Amazing Spider-Man" to Raimi's movies.

That'd be neat to have it share the same universe as Big Hero 6 and maybe for a future crossover movie.
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Marvel/Disney should do a Howard the Duck film

Post by HarryCanyon »

I'd love to see Marvel do a new Howard film, ever since that cameo at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy, one of Marvel's funniest and weirdest characters Howard The Duck could be given another chance on film and his cameo stunned fans of the anthro character from the Steve Gerber comics.

It can be called Marvel's Howard: A New Species of Hero! It can star Emma Watson as Beverly Switzler and The Ringmaster can be the villain, Seth Green can reprise his voice role with WETA doing the effects. Who can play The Ringmaster?

It can have a cameo by Ant-Man or some other Marvel character! And the film can be a bit like Deadpool in it's deadpan sense of humor and all. Maybe also have him in Guardians 3 be nice with Silver Surfer.

I mean if the original film was considered a failure (even though it's a guilty pleasure of mine) since it came out in the wrong time for comic films just like how the Fox Daredevil film was considered a failure (but good in it's director's cut which is better than the butchery) as Fox gave back the rights to Daredevil to Marvel Studios as Marvel made people like Daredevil better as much as Fox made Deadpool likable than Wolverine Origins then Marvel/Disney can make Howard likable again even have James Gunn-co write the script and have a talented comedy director who is a fan of the source material for the job. And if audiences accepted a talking raccoon, maybe this duck is next and based on the modern incarnation from the recent comics.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Re: Marvel/Disney should do a Howard the Duck film

Post by milojthatch »

I don't feel Howard can carry his own film. That last crap fest from the 80's is Exhibit A. However, I'm game for him making appearances in GotG. As long as it's fun.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
HarryCanyon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by HarryCanyon »

Is a talking raccoon with a gun no different than Howard? audiences accepted Rocket Raccoon, audiences in 1986's Howard didn't and it came out in the wrong time.

Marvel Studios know how to take risks with Guardians and Ant-Man and made gold out of them, they can do the same to Howard The Duck and make people forget about the 1986 film. I can see this as a 4th wall breaking film that tells audiences from Howard's narration about his history in comics then about the 1986 film and quick origin in the opening credits like Incredible Hulk.

A new one can improve on the original and can make audiences accept the character like they accept Ant-Man and Rocket Raccoon on film and can be solid gold like Marvel does usually.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

HarryCanyon wrote:Is a talking raccoon with a gun no different than Howard? audiences accepted Rocket Raccoon, audiences in 1986's Howard didn't and it came out in the wrong time.
Rocket isn't the lead, Starlord is. A unique chracter like Rocket or Howard as supporting cast is VERY different than as the lead.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Howard the Duck Remake Pitched to Marvel by Lea Thompson
https://movieweb.com/howard-the-duck-re ... -director/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Maybe it would work best as a computer animated movie.

I actually enjoyed the 80s movie about Howard. Maybe it depends on your age when you watch it. I saw it on video as a kid, and liked it just as much as Labyrinth and similar movies that also got bad reviews.