DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:12 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I really liked Homecoming and I think Far From Home was more or less on par with it. By the way, I would recommend anyone who still hasn't seen it to not miss the end credits scenes. At least the first one, the second is not as important, though I loved it too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 am 
Platinum Edition

A report claims that if Far from Home doesn't cross the billion dollar mark worldwide, creative control will revert to Sony.

Quote:
The original Sony/Marvel/Spidey deal to co-produce these movies stipulated that if this Spidey cleared a billion, Marvel would get to oversee a third. If it hadn’t, full control would have reverted back to Sony, which raised the specter that America’s Most Beloved Entertainment Executive would look to cash in/out every way possible, as well as grab complete unexpurgated credit for the victory and thrown superhero canon to the wind. (Not something he was ever a fan of in the first place). It was feared he would have tossed Spidey and Venom together for a quickie mash-up that very potentially could’ve sunk both.
Source: https://theankler.com/bullets-over-the- ... spidey-ho/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:20 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I find this claim dubious, as this doesn't seem like the kind of agreement Marvel would agree to. Especially since, at the time Sony and Marvel were discussing sharing Spider-Man, Marvel's only movies to cross a billion dollars were "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3." No "Spider-Man" movie had ever made more than a billion dollars, either. It would be Sony putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on Marvel.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:36 pm 
Gold Collection

Sotiris wrote:
A report claims that if Far from Home doesn't cross the billion dollar mark worldwide, creative control will revert to Sony.

Quote:
The original Sony/Marvel/Spidey deal to co-produce these movies stipulated that if this Spidey cleared a billion, Marvel would get to oversee a third. If it hadn’t, full control would have reverted back to Sony, which raised the specter that America’s Most Beloved Entertainment Executive would look to cash in/out every way possible, as well as grab complete unexpurgated credit for the victory and thrown superhero canon to the wind. (Not something he was ever a fan of in the first place). It was feared he would have tossed Spidey and Venom together for a quickie mash-up that very potentially could’ve sunk both.
Source: https://theankler.com/bullets-over-the- ... spidey-ho/

Even if it is true, I’m not too worried about Far From Home who will easily cross the billion dollar mark in the upcoming weeks..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:32 pm 
Special Edition

Just saw it today and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was just as enjoyable as the first. Tom Holland is really growing into the role! Excited to see where Marvel plans to go now. Btw! having Whitney Houston’s voice open the movie was amazing!! You can never have enough of that voice!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:32 pm 
Platinum Edition

Spider-Man: Far From Home has become Sony's second highest-earning film of all time after Skyfall.

Box Office: 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Crosses $1B in a Franchise First
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... st-1226598

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:47 pm 
Platinum Edition

Wow, I’m glad Holland’s Spider-Man is doing so well. That’ll be an incentive to keep it going for a while. :wink:

I knew the film was close because I’d read an article this morning from a day past that it and Aladdin were racing to the billion mark. The same article said Aladdin is at 993 million as of the end of Tuesday. Maybe it’ll cross over next week.

Christina Aguilera ~ "Ain't No Other Man"
Kelly Clarkson ~ "Didn't I"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:00 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm glad too it's having such a big success. In my opinion, it's well deserved.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:22 pm 
Platinum Edition

Spider-Man: Far From Home has become Sony's highest-grossing film of all time at the global box office surpassing Skyfall.

‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ To Become Sony’s Highest-Grossing Film Ever
https://deadline.com/2019/08/spider-man ... 202670412/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

The next Spider-Man films won't be produced by Marvel Studios. :shock:

Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’
https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feig ... 202672545/

'Spider-Man' Standoff: Why Sony Thinks It Doesn't Need "Kevin's Playbook" Anymore
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... re-1233644

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:05 pm 
Collector's Edition

Sotiris wrote:
The next Spider-Man films won't be produced by Marvel Studios. :shock:

Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’
https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feig ... 202672545/

Hmmm . . . so now Disney will just buy Sony?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:21 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

That's horrible news. That would mean Spider-Man wouldn't be part of the MCU anymore, right? Not to mention that the quality of future films could decline without Feige's supervision. I hope it's still possible for the two companies to reach an agreement.

RyGuy wrote:

:lol: Who knows, maybe they're planning to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 pm 
Collector's Edition

D82 wrote:

RyGuy wrote:

:lol: Who knows, maybe they're planning to do that.

I was half joking, but if memory serves me, Disney got into it with Pixar. Right before they bought Pixar. So who knows? Maybe their strategy is if you can’t beat ‘em, buy ‘em. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:21 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I know you were half joking, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they bought something else. I don't know if the government would allow them to acquire another big studio, though, especially so soon after the Fox acquisition.

RyGuy wrote:
Maybe their strategy is if you can’t beat ‘em, buy ‘em. :lol:

:lol: Yes, that seems to be their motto.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:38 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I read somebody said that Sony isn't as big a company as Fox so Disney could get away with it although I don't know if that's true or not. But I'm very disappointed by this news and I hope Disney does some damage control quick to regain control of the Spider-Man property.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Both studious are greedy, and Tom Rothman is notorious for mishandling Marvel properties back when he was still at Fox.

But to be fair to Sony, they don't have a truly terrible track record with Spider-Man, the first two Raimi movies are universally loved, Into the Spider-Verse is just plain amazing and Far from Home was pretty good. However, Tom Holland's Spider-Man never sit well with me and constant references to the larger MCU in his solo movies were one of the factors I found them hard to enjoy. He's Spider-Man, not Iron Man's sidekick, he can carry his own movie.

But I'm pretty sure they'll come to an agreement. Money talks after all.

Or that secret Disney project announcement at D23 turns out to be the purchase of Sony lol.

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I read somebody said that Sony isn't as big a company as Fox so Disney could get away with it although I don't know if that's true or not. But I'm very disappointed by this news and I hope Disney does some damage control quick to regain control of the Spider-Man property.

I read something like this too, that out of five (or six?) major studios left, Sony is the smallest and outside of Spider-Man and possibly Ghostbusters doesn't really own memorable or profitable IPs.

EDIT: Never mind, they also own Jumanji, Charlie's Angels and MIB.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:18 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm on Sony's side on this. Disney asking for 50% is absurd and incredibly greedy on their part. I'm sure Kevin Feige is the most disappointed that Disney's asking price was so high. But I feel it won't be long before they make an agreement that benefits both studios.

Mooky wrote:
I read something like this too, that out of five (or six?) major studios left, Sony is the smallest and outside of Spider-Man and possibly Ghostbusters doesn't really own memorable or profitable IPs.

EDIT: Never mind, they also own Jumanji, Charlie's Angels and MIB.

They also have Hotel Transylvania, Peter Rabbit, Bad Boys, The Equalizer and Resident Evil, plus original hits like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Baby Driver (which Edgar Wright is currently planning a sequel to). For the rest of the year, Zombieland 2, A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood and Little Women have a good chance of breaking out.

Right now, Paramount is actually doing the worst of the major studios (when not counting 20th Century Fox). Sony is currently fourth in market share for the year, with 11.3%, not too far behind Warner Bros and Universal. Sony had a rough couple of years, but they've been working hard to reclaim their former glory and have done quite nicely these last few years.

As for whether Disney will buy Sony Pictures, it's not likely. Aside from the anti-regulation sure to come down on them, Sony Corp is not interested in selling the studio to anyone. The recently appointed president of Sony Corp recently said that entertainment is one of their most important divisions and they will continue to utilize the movie and television studios to their full potential.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:30 pm 
Special Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:

Sony has more employees listed at Wikipedia than Fox did prior to the Disney take over. 111000 vs 22000 But of course its Wikipedia so things could be wrong. What they are forgetting Sony's, unlike Fox, prior to Murdoc deciding to sell up everything apart from Fox News and related ventures, is first and foremost an electronic and video game company not TV and film producers. PlayStation line of video game consoles being the best selling video game home console line of all time and located in Japan.

But It wouldn't shock me though if Sony decided to get out of the US film and TV industries since they are not major player there as in the video games hardwire and electronics world.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:12 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

estefan wrote:
I'm on Sony's side on this. Disney asking for 50% is absurd and incredibly greedy on their part.

Yes, I agree. If they lose the character, it'll be mainly their fault.

estefan wrote:
As for whether Disney will buy Sony Pictures, it's not likely. Aside from the anti-regulation sure to come down on them, Sony Corp is not interested in selling the studio to anyone. The recently appointed president of Sony Corp recently said that entertainment is one of their most important divisions and they will continue to utilize the movie and television studios to their full potential.

I'm glad they're not interested in selling the studio. I don't want Disney to become WALL-E's Buy n Large.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:57 am 
Platinum Edition

I say screw Disney. Their continued escalation of greed and arrogance is disgusting. This iteration of Spider-Man will be fine without them as long as Tom Holland’s involved, since, imo, he’s the main (if not only) reason it’s been a success.

Christina Aguilera ~ "Ain't No Other Man"
Kelly Clarkson ~ "Didn't I"