Spider-Man: Far From Home

All topics on all things Marvel.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home

Post by Sotiris »

I'd hate for that to happen because if Tom Holland's Spider-Man crossovers with Sony's other Marvel films like Venom or Morbius, it would make those films canon to the MCU.
With Friday's news of Sony and Disney reaching an agreement, Feige said “[Spider-Man] also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse, you never know what surprises the future might hold.” That’s good enough for a subtle confirmation that Holland’s Spider-Man will be able to connect to Marvel Studios’ franchises as well as Sony’s Spider-Verse.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... om-1244078
We hear that as Sony progresses their own Marvel universe with titles likes Venom 2 and Sinister Six, and Disney/Marvel their own, there could be a “call and answer” between the two franchises as they acknowledge details between the two in what is would loosely be described as a shared detailed universe. Details on that are still early.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/09/sony-walt- ... 202746497/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sotiris wrote:I'd hate for that to happen because if Tom Holland's Spider-Man crossovers with Sony's other Marvel films like Venom or Morbius, it would make those films canon to the MCU.
Not necessarily, especially since, if the Sony-Disney deal had been off, Tom Holland's Spider-Man would still have been getting his own movies and those wouldn't be in the MCU anymore. So while the solely-Spider-Man centric films will still be a part of the MCU, the crossover ones won't, hence why Fiege stated that Spider-Man is "the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes." I don't think Disney would give Sony that much importance to allow them to induct their own films into the MCU, even if Tom Holland happens to be in them.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

If this is true, it's a pretty big faux pas from Alan Horn.
Rumours sourced from Disney employees talking to Bleeding Cool over the weekend suggest that Horn’s involvement with the recent Sony/Marvel Spider-Man split may not have been as they have been reported elsewhere. And they centre around the phrase “God, Alan almost messed that up bad.”

I’m told the Disney gossip is that Disney’s Alan Horn had got the situation with the rights all backwards, in his head. That he somehow thought that Disney was licensing Spider-Man to Sony to use, and not that Sony held the rights. And so, when Sony didn’t agree to the demanded new deal, Horn told them that Disney wouldn’t allow them to use Spider-Man anymore, totally ignorant to the rights situation. And Sony said ‘fine’.

Cue the involvement of Kevin Feige, who did know the score, and was brought in to negotiate directly with Sony instead of Horn, and sort everything out. The word is that Disney now receive 25 percent of the profits from Spider-Man 3, but they also have to pay a similar percentage of the production costs – and can also use Spider-Man to some degree in their other non-Spider-Man movies, such as Venom, Morbius, Silver Sable, Black Cat, Madame Web, whatever they are going for...
Source: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09/29 ... an-anyway/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Tom Holland's Last-Minute Appeal Helped Seal a 'Spider-Man' Deal
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... al-1244688

Bob Iger Dishes on Tom Holland's 'Spider-Man' Return: "He Cared So Much"
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ir-1245393
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

What I feared is happening. Sony movies will become canon to the MCU.

Spider-Man Star Tom Holland Rumored To Be In Early Talks For Venom 2
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/12/27 ... s-venom-2/

Rumor: ‘Morbius’ Will Reference Tom Holland’s Spider-Man
https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/01/12 ... pider-man/
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

What’s wrong with that? :?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Ugh, not pleased that the Sony drivel will become part of the MCU.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's going to be canon only from Sony's side, meaning the MCU will be canon to Sony's films but not the other way. Kind of like with OUAT and Frozen.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The situation is similar to the relationship between Marvel Studios and Marvel Television. The TV series acknowledged the events of the MCU and even had characters from the movies appear on the shows but the movies never acknowledged them in any way and original characters from the series never appeared in the movies. Similarly, Sony movies will reference events from the MCU and have characters from the MCU Spider-Man films appear in them but Disney/Marvel films will pretend they never happened. This means nothing that affects Spider-Man or the MCU can happen in the Sony films. That's far from a prefect scenario but I guess that's the compromise Marvel had to make to keep Spider-Man.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Morbius teaser trailer just debuted and Vulture from Spider-Man: Homecoming makes an appearance. It seems they're fast-tracking a Sinister Six movie. This little nugget was also included which sets the events of Morbius after Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

*spoilers*

So... This was...??? Okay? I guess. I'm a bit disappointed. I mean, I'll still continue to look forward to future sequels, but this was sort of a letdown for me. The ending with Parker's identity being revealed at least sets the next film to be better than this one--hopefully. I'm not in a hurry to buy this one. I won't say I'll *never* buy it or anything, but only if it's like $5 during Black Friday or something. Everything felt sort of inconsequential and there weren't enough adorkable moments with Holland to make up for it. I suppose the best scene is when Peter is going to try to tell Fury about Beck / Mysterio, only for it all to be an illusion. That whole scene, ending with him hit by the train, was really well-done. The stuff with his friend falling in love with the morning news girl in the background was probably the funniest part. Zendaya was... Alright. I'm not feeling the romance so far though. Maybe it'll get better in the next film. I haven't watched Homecoming in a while, and I haven't seen Avengers: Endgame yet unfortunately (I know the plot gist of that film), but Peter already being interested in her felt like a sudden jump.

I don't know how the crossover situation works with Disney having eaten FOX, but could Deadpool appear in a future Spider-Man film? I'd love to see the characters interacting onscreen, at least once this version's Spider-Man is out of highschool age.
D82 wrote:I really liked Homecoming and I think Far From Home was more or less on par with it. By the way, I would recommend anyone who still hasn't seen it to not miss the end credits scenes. At least the first one, the second is not as important, though I loved it too.
Yeah, I don't pretend Homecoming was this amazing film and FFH was awful or anything. They were about equal, it was more the little moments and humor that I found better in / the highlight of the first and lacking in the second. The end credits scene was really good, has me hyped for the next sequel.
justcuttinhair wrote:Just saw it today and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was just as enjoyable as the first. Tom Holland is really growing into the role! Excited to see where Marvel plans to go now. Btw! having Whitney Houston’s voice open the movie was amazing!! You can never have enough of that voice!!
I can't agree enough! "I Have Nothing" is her best, but her vocal on "I Will Always Love You" is gorgeous, too, what a nice surprise at the beginning. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"