DisneyToon Studios Shuts Down

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

DisneyToon Studios Shuts Down

Post by Sotiris »

On the heels of Pete Docter and Jennifer Lee succeeding John Lasseter as chief creative officers at Pixar and Disney, Disney will now close its third animation studio, the Glendale-based DisneyToon Studios, effective immediately.

DisneyToon was best known for the “Disney Fairies” home entertainment and “Planes” theatrical franchises under Lasseter’s leadership, with Meredith Roberts serving as senior vice president and general manager since 2008. There will be layoffs of 75 animators and staff, and it is unclear if any will be transitioned to either Disney or Pixar.

“After much consideration, we have made the decision to end production activity and close DisneyToon Studios,” said a Disney spokesperson. The move had been in the works and is unrelated to the promotions of Docter and Lee.

An untitled “Planes” spin-off feature was removed from the theatrical release schedule for March 2019, and is no longer in development.
Source: https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/disne ... 201979736/
Michael Ruocco: DisneyToon Studios was just shut down today. I hope all the animators and other staff members there are okay, wishing them all the best.

Q: What happened?

Michael Ruocco: New initiative, now that Pete Doctor & Jennifer Lee are running Pixar and Disney. They had one Planes spin-off in development there but as far as I know nothing else. About 75 staff members will be laid off.
Source: https://twitter.com/AGuyWhoDraws/status ... 9736709122
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: DisneyToon Studios to Shut Down

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm sorry that employees lost their jobs, but I can't say I feel bad about DisneyToon Studios no longer existing. The DuckTales movie, A Goofy Movie, and the Winnie the Pooh films are the only worthwhile things to come out of the studio, imo... Although I could somewhat enjoy a few of the sequels (despite poor stories and animation), they weren't worth it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I'm sorry that employees lost their jobs, but I can't say I feel bad about DisneyToon Studios no longer existing.
Same. With them abandoning 2D animation and the Disney Fairies franchise, the studio's only purpose was to satisfy Lasseter's obsession with Cars spin-offs. Good riddance.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:With them abandoning 2D animation and the Disney Fairies franchise, the studio's only purpose was to satisfy Lasseter's obsession with Cars spin-offs. Good riddance.
What you said. No point of having the studios around if they can't do Disney sequels or projects
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

As I had no love for the Cars spin-offs or the Disney Fairies franchise, I'm quite pleased with this. Another dismantlement of Lasseter's influence.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Just hope the employees will find proper replacements. Despite everything that has been revealed about Pixar lately, nothing has been mentioned about the DisneyToon Studio. But considering it was only 75 people working there, I imagine it must have been a cozy little place, doing their own thing for many years without being bothered by their bigger siblings.

But as the article says, without theatrical release and reduced sales of DVD/Blu-Rays, the market is not the same anymore. With Disney's focus on streaming content, maybe we will see a new department producing animation meant for streaming (or maybe the television teams will take care of that as well).
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

This studio put a stain on the Disney legacy the day it opened.

Goodbye forever!
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
MrXemnas1992
Limited Issue

Post by MrXemnas1992 »

Semaj wrote:This studio put a stain on the Disney legacy the day it opened.

Goodbye forever!
That's a bit harsh.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Disney Shuts Down DisneyToon Studios

Post by DisneyFan09 »

:cry:

R.I.P. DIsneyToon Studios. Truly a pity that it was shut down.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I actually liked the Lilo & Stitch stuff they did. And Aladdin. While not the same as the theatrical features, they felt more like TV-episodes with feature length.

One of the articles mentioned that Disney claimed it had nothing to do with Lasseter leaving Disney. I'm not sure if I buy it. He was the one keeping DisneyToon alive with the fairies and Cars spin-offs. He was apparently obsessed with the voice actresses in the Tinker Bell series, and everybody are aware of his obsession with Cars and other talking vehicles.

I'm curious if the movie they were working on, which would include contact with aliens, were in actual production. If it was, it would be a waste of money if they did all that work for nothing.

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2017/07/14 ... ated-film/
Believe us when we say the Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios panel at D23 Expo was one of the most epic things we have ever seen in our lives. The panel was hosted by chief creative officer of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios John Lasseter, who’s literally the best human.

Lasseter told us in the panel that the team at Disneytoon Studios has been working really hard to create a new film to celebrate the next horizon and the progress we’ve made to push towards the furthest edges of aviation.
As it was mentioned elsewhere, the studio would have been an excellent place for experimentation. Their movies were cheaper and they didn't have to relate to any specific release date. Too bad they didn't use the opportunity.

It was a small studio, and by closing it only the larger ones remains. And that can sometimes be a problem.

Floyd Norman:
Visiting Pixar Animation Studios in 1997 was much different than what you'd experience today. The studio was located in a non-descript industrial park in Point Richmond, California. The little town could easily have been a set for "The Twilight Zone," because the town looked as though it had somehow been stuck in the nineteen fifties, and couldn't find its way out.

I don't think the townspeople had any idea Pixar even existed. Athough some might have wondered what the kids who wandered the streets did for a living. Each day, young people walked the quiet streets and frequented the restaurants and coffee shops at lunch time. Then they made their way back across the railroad tracks and disappeared into a low slung industrial facility where they would not be seen until the next day.
Unlike slick and polished corporate Disney, the Pixar screening room had the look of a garage sale in progress. The room was filled with mis-matched sofas and chairs were usually cast-offs brought from home by studio employees. Not surprising, it was this special start-up vibe and creative energy that would propell the studio forward and in time, leave everyone, including Disney, in its wake.

Sadly, there’s no stopping progress and today Pixar Animation Studios feels slick, polished and as corporate as their producing partner to the south. Time marches on, and there is no way one can remain a start-up forever.
The DisneyToon studio was much smaller and appears to have had a different atmosphere:

https://babytoboomer.com/2014/04/01/dis ... dios-tour/

http://mattschnittker.blogspot.com/2011 ... udios.html
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Personally, I feel the quality of the very last Disney Fairies film was completely dismissed to the fact that it was ... well, a Disney Fairies film, a series brought to us by a "lesser" studio. I think they did an amazing job, even on their limited budget. Really seems a shame the series ended there, and receiving the news that the studio is being closed is disappointing. It really feels like a missed opportunity for a place that could conceptually try more experimental films/shorts/TV series at less of a financial risk than their main studios.

What I hate most is seeing all those artists lose jobs, but turnover in the industry is high anyway. Let's just hope all they can move on to better positions elsewhere.