DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:21 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well said. And therefore I'm giving you a thumb :up: ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:29 pm 
Collector's Edition

Well, in the 60s and early 70s, all features were defined by the specific Xerox look, with thick black lines. Obviously not an artistic choice, but a consequence of technological limitations. In my opinions it made the animation more cartoony. Some of my favorite scenes from this period is the part in The Sword in the Stone when Merlin and Wart turns into fish and swims around in the lake.

If only Disney had made a real big budget fairytale or adventure movie during this early Xerox period, with effect animation like shadows, reflection and rain and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:27 pm 
Limited Edition

2D, before Lasseter spread his tentacles around and poisoned the water hole.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:28 pm 
Gold Collection

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
Well, in the 60s and early 70s, all features were defined by the specific Xerox look, with thick black lines. Obviously not an artistic choice, but a consequence of technological limitations. In my opinions it made the animation more cartoony. Some of my favorite scenes from this period is the part in The Sword in the Stone when Merlin and Wart turns into fish and swims around in the lake.

If only Disney had made a real big budget fairytale or adventure movie during this early Xerox period, with effect animation like shadows, reflection and rain and so on.

The Little Mermaid was made using Xerox.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I was never a fan of the Timon and Pumbaa series. It didn't mesh well with the original film for me and I think Disney should have done a more faithful TV series like you suggested. I haven't seen The Lion Guard so maybe I would enjoy that but I've heard it's really more for kids.

No? I remember being torn about the series. I enjoyed the Timon and Pumbaa-series when I first saw it as a kid/tween, yet afterwards it could spot it's faults (as not meshing with the original film). However, I still felt the show improved after the first season and it was fun on it's own terms. I haven't seen so much about The Lion Guard myself, yet from what I've seen, it's more in tune with the film.

Quote:
I always felt Bambi could use a TV series as well although I imagine most of the artistry of the original film would be stripped.

Fair enough.

Quote:
Pocahontas could have worked well in the vein of The Little Mermaid, especially since Disney released some books in the 90s that also dived deeper into village life both before and after the colonists arrived. They could more accurately portray the Powhatan people to redress the complaints they had received (which weren't unanimous anyway).

Well said. Great minds think alike ;) :up:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:48 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Mooky wrote:
don't mention Sing Me a Story with Belle, I think we all like to pretend it never happened.

Really? Was it that bad?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:34 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Yes :D It was like a knock-off Barney & Friends but with Belle instead. And it had pretty much nothing to do with the original film, the characters seemed to be used just for the sake of recognition.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:04 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

OK. Then I'll have to disagree with you ;) :P. Sorry, mate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Imo it was a wasted opportunity. Instead of using American staple stories (many of which were recycled from Disney's old animation), they could have made Belle read French fairy tales from Charles Perrault and Madame d'Aulnoy. Then create new animation (albeit direct-to-video animation) for stories like Bluebeard, Puss in Boots, Little Red Riding Hood, The White Cat, The Blue Bird, etc. all narrated by Belle as she reads to kids in the bookseller's shop.