DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:20 am 
Platinum Edition

I've been thinking about this topic a lot recently, and what things I personally feel that Disney could have done better, or not cancelled or altered. . . this relates to everything from TV series to books to CD's to films to theme parks ... anything at all !

I'll delve a little into my list to make it a bit clearer ...

* The Tinker Bell film series. This will always be my own personal heartache; I still cannot believe that Disney curtailed / cancelled / whatever they did to this series. The world that Tink and her friends inhabited was breathtaking, and the scale of it could have gone on and on ! They were heartfelt, cross - generational, funny, beautifully rendered films with brilliant scripts and story. Not to mention voice talent. There was so much more that these films could do ( and the shorts ! ), and it's such a loss that they are no longer being made. I don't know about Tink's presence in the US parks; does the fact that her films have gone, they now no longer have Pixie Hollow ? With Vidia, Silvermist etc ?

* Disney Princess Enchanted Tales. If done properly, these series of short films could have been wonderful. As witnessed by Menken returning for Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure TV series, he could have been brought onboard for certainly Ariel / Belle / Jasmine / Pocahontas / Rapunzel's stories. Have a proper story rather than something fluffy, a moral or whatever it is they like to show the Princesses representing, and then you have a fresh legacy to continue. Rather than the messy ball of nothingness that was Aurora's story. Jasmine's was slightly better, but nothing that exciting to write home about. I always wonder what happened to the Belle story and the other Aurora one. Was there also a Cinderella and Mulan one I recall ?

So those were the first two things I thought of, if any of you guys have anything ... please do share away !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 am 
Gold Collection

Brilliant topic! :)

I absolutely agree with everything you said about Tinker Bell film series. But honestly, one thing I will always be bitter about is that it ended without any big, 'goodbye'-story. Like, every film series needs to end one day. In Tinker Bell case, the last film wasn't even about her. The movie they scrapped about all four seasons would be perfect for an ending. Or, how about a movie where Tink meets Peter Pan.
I also wish they would release a movie or a book that would finally connect the film series with the book series (with fairies like Prilla, Bess etc.). It was hinted in the books that something terrible happened in Pixie Hollow due to children not believing in fairies during war. It would make a great story. The movie/book could show how Pixie Dust tree was destroyed and how fairies found Mother Dove.

Disney Princess Enchanted Tales would be perfect as a tv series, with different princess every episode. I wish they would at least release that Cinderella/Mulan shorts, and make one about Snow White and Tiana.

Something I miss a little are direct-to-dvd sequels. The last few were so good I'm interested how would they look like today. They should have completed that Snow White's prequel about dwarfs.

Oh, and when it comes to Princess franchise, Esmeralda should be part of it. Kida too, but especially Esmeralda.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:39 am 
Platinum Edition

Glad you like the topic Raf :)

I think some of the DTV should be left to wither away and disappear from all memory, but a fair few a very worth while, as you say ! What I would be intrigued to see is the alternate version of Peter Pan in Return to Neverland. It was originally a totally different film with Kathryn Beaumont coming back to reprise her role as Wendy, which she recorded all her dialogue for ... but it was scrapped, and she was never told why !

Also there were some storyboards floating around of Ariel's Beginning that featured Ariel and Eric on a ship ... that would have been intriguing to see for sure !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:54 pm 
Collector's Edition

This is a weird idea, but hear me out.

You all know how Lilo and Stitch had a lot of film sequels and series? There was an anime in Japan called "Stitch!", and earlier this year in China there was "Stitch & Ai".

"Stitch" takes place in Japan, and "Stitch & Ai" in China. (It's a bit convoluted, especially with the dub of the former saying Lilo got a new boyfriend and forgot about Stitch... :| ) But the series try to relocate the Lilo & Stitch cast (or at least the aliens) for the market they were aiming for. I guess when you have aliens you can do weird plots.

I remember reading about a Mulan series that was planned but never finalized. I think an interesting way to cater to the international scope would be to make that Mulan series/anime for them. Then if it does well they can dub it over to other countries. Mulan is already set in China so they needn't force a weird plot where main characters move continents. They could have new series characters -- maybe have a new council man (or woman) for the Emperor, or Shang's mother, or the other family guardians come to life, etc. Maybe there can be an episode where Mushu wonders about his family ancestry/origins, or we get backstory into Mulan's grandmother and what she was like as a young woman, etc.

Plus maybe Disney could make some exclusive Mulan merch for the Asia market, maybe also the Disney princess market? Kind of like how Marie from "The Aristocats" is a huge business in Japan. It could work. Samaurai Jack had a reboot on Adult Swim last year that was well-received. I'd like to see more sword fighting/duels in a Mulan show (except more family friendly, I suppose.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:51 pm 
Limited Edition

I miss the 90s merchandise. The VHS and laserdisc box sets that came with Making of books, plus the soundtrack and lithographs. Even the early Platinum Editions and the first few Disney Blu-Rays that came with menu guides, insert artwork, and even disc art. I also miss the Mattel 90s dolls which after the DP franchise in the 2000s, became vapid and generic.

I also miss the Walt Disney Treasures sets as well as the 2-Disc Vault Disney DVDs for some of the more acclaimed live-action films (although I wish Treasure Island had gotten a set) and I would have liked Blu-Ray releases for them but I guess they'll only be available on the streaming service now. Oh, and I also miss how Disney actually used to stand by their extended editions such as Pocahontas and Bedknobs and Broomsticks back in the day. There's a reason I hold onto my DVDs for those films (plus the extra features). I also liked the idea of Disney creating new songs and sequences for their films, at least for Pocahontas and BATB. Wish Aladdin and Hunchback could have gotten the treatment, plus a better choice for The Lion King.

Atlantica wrote:
Glad you like the topic Raf :)
I think some of the DTV should be left to wither away and disappear from all memory, but a fair few a very worth while, as you say ! What I would be intrigued to see is the alternate version of Peter Pan in Return to Neverland. It was originally a totally different film with Kathryn Beaumont coming back to reprise her role as Wendy, which she recorded all her dialogue for ... but it was scrapped, and she was never told why !

Also there were some storyboards floating around of Ariel's Beginning that featured Ariel and Eric on a ship ... that would have been intriguing to see for sure !

Is there any more information on that earlier version of Return to Neverland? I'm quite curious as to what Wendy's role would have been in this version.

I also wish we could have seen more of that earlier take on Ariel's Beginning especially with that haunting teaser trailer. The final product is a travesty and I hate how people follow that over the TV series canon.

Warm Regards wrote:
I remember reading about a Mulan series that was planned but never finalized. I think an interesting way to cater to the international scope would be to make that Mulan series/anime for them.

I doubt Mulan would be successful in the Japanese markets for nationalistic reasons. There's a reason she has almost no presence (if any at all) in the Tokyo parks. As for China, considering that the original film was deemed too western, I'm not sure how a TV series would be received there unless they go the "Stitch and Ai" angle and cater entirely towards the Chinese market. However, one could argue that the new live-action Mulan film is already doing that and it's turned away most people who loved the original.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:28 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well, to give my thoughts;

I personally miss the traditional Disney climax, which was present during the Renaissance. You know the ones where there was an actual fight or conflict between the hero and the villain. The Revival era has pretty much excluded this trope, even with their Princess films and they've been of course less satisfying because of it. It's not to say that every Disney film needs such a climax, but I still miss it. It's ironic to think that Pixar's Princess film, Brave, had such a climax, wheres WDAS features had none of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:36 am 
Gold Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Well, to give my thoughts;

I personally miss the traditional Disney climax, which was present during the Renaissance. You know the ones where there was an actual fight or conflict between the hero and the villain. The Revival era has pretty much excluded this trope, even with their Princess films and they've been of course less satisfying because of it. It's not to say that every Disney film needs such a climax, but I still miss it. It's ironic to think that Pixar's Princess film, Brave, had such a climax, wheres WDAS features had none of them.

That's because the villains are revealed only at the end of the second act, so there isn't much time to build them as threatening. Brave's climax is great and that movie is one of the most underrated Pixar films in ny opinion, but I do think that Moana's climax was the best out of all the recent films.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:43 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well... truth to be told, both Facilier and Gothel were villains that were set up at the beginning.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:04 am 
Gold Collection

Agreed, but Facilier had a weak motivation and no connection whatsoever to Tiana, the protagonist.

Gothel was fine, but all they had to do in order to defeat her was cutting Rapunzel's hair. Not that exciting to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:39 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Agreed, though I've personally preferred Facilier. I found Gothel pretty underwhelming and bland.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:50 pm 
Collector's Edition

With regards to art books...I still hold out hope for a decent Art of Series..Dumbo-Robin Hood-Little Mermaid-Rescuers to name just a few..even Emperors New Groove has yet to receive a proper making of book...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:40 pm 
Platinum Edition

Atlantica wrote:
I always wonder what happened to the Belle story and the other Aurora one. Was there also a Cinderella and Mulan one I recall?

Enchanted Tales: A Kingdom of Kindness and Enchanted Tales: Honesty are rotting away in the the Disney Vault. Lasseter axed the series resulting in these four completed stories never seeing the light of day. Such a waste.

Atlantica wrote:
I don't know about Tink's presence in the US parks; does the fact that her films have gone, they now no longer have Pixie Hollow?

The one at Disneyland still exists but the one at Disney World got shut down.

Atlantica wrote:
Also there were some storyboards floating around of Ariel's Beginning that featured Ariel and Eric on a ship...that would have been intriguing to see for sure!

Those storyboards you recall were actually mislabeled as being from the production of Ariel's Beginning. They were simply part of a storyboard test Tod Carter created with the purpose of submitting to Disney Television Animation in order to get hired there.

Raf wrote:
But honestly, one thing I will always be bitter about is that it ended without any big, 'goodbye'-story. Like, every film series needs to end one day. In Tinker Bell case, the last film wasn't even about her.

Agreed. I'm not in favor of a film series going on forever but it's a shame people invested in the franchise never got closure with a bookend story where Tink finally met baby Peter Pan and brought him to Never Land.

Raf wrote:
The movie they scrapped about all four seasons would be perfect for an ending.

Tinker Bell and the Race Through the Seasons was retooled into the Pixie Hollow Games so even if the film series was still ongoing they wouldn't have used this concept.

Raf wrote:
It was hinted in the books that something terrible happened in Pixie Hollow due to children not believing in fairies during war. It would make a great story.

That was to be connected with the original iteration of the first Tinker Bell movie called Tinker Bell and the Ring of Belief but Lasseter scrapped the whole thing and none of those elements were carried over.

Warm Regards wrote:
I remember reading about a Mulan series that was planned but never finalized. I think an interesting way to cater to the international scope would be to make that Mulan series/anime for them.

A pilot was actually produced for that show called Mulan and the Treasures of Qin. Another thing that collects dust in the archives.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:03 am 
Gold Collection

I miss the "Walt Disney Classics Collection" figurines. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:14 am 
Collector's Edition

Sotiris wrote:
Atlantica wrote:
I always wonder what happened to the Belle story and the other Aurora one. Was there also a Cinderella and Mulan one I recall?

Enchanted Tales: A Kingdom of Kindness and Enchanted Tales: Honesty are rotting away in the the Disney Vault. Lasseter axed the series resulting in these four completed stories never seeing the light of day. Such a waste.

Now that he is gone, do you think that they could release them, even if it's just for the new streaming device?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:28 pm 
Limited Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I miss the 90s merchandise. The VHS and laserdisc box sets that came with Making of books, plus the soundtrack and lithographs. Even the early Platinum Editions and the first few Disney Blu-Rays that came with menu guides, insert artwork, and even disc art. I also miss the Mattel 90s dolls which after the DP franchise in the 2000s, became vapid and generic.

I also miss the Walt Disney Treasures sets as well as the 2-Disc Vault Disney DVDs for some of the more acclaimed live-action films (although I wish Treasure Island had gotten a set) and I would have liked Blu-Ray releases for them but I guess they'll only be available on the streaming service now. Oh, and I also miss how Disney actually used to stand by their extended editions such as Pocahontas and Bedknobs and Broomsticks back in the day. There's a reason I hold onto my DVDs for those films (plus the extra features). I also liked the idea of Disney creating new songs and sequences for their films, at least for Pocahontas and BATB. Wish Aladdin and Hunchback could have gotten the treatment, plus a better choice for The Lion King.

I'd have to agree here. '90s Disney merchandise was the best, and I don't just say that because of the nostalgia. Looking at merch now compared to what it was is sad.

I also would've liked to see Blu-Ray releases for the WDT line or something like that, and I agree with you about the early Platinum / Diamond edition releases, but those songs added in to TLK and BatB were included in their Broadway productions so it's not like they were created specifically for the Special Editions of the films. Mostly, I just miss when Disney even pretended like they cared about home media. Now the releases are so subpar and underwhelming that the excitement of new releases are pretty much gone.

UDer #3495 :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:40 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well, to give some thoughts of mine;

I think Disney could've given The Lion King an animated series that was more similar to The Lion Guard back on it's heyday. While I did enjoy Timon and Pumbaa-series, they were still stylistically a departure from the movie. While that show was still enjoyable on it's own merits, it's perhaps not the ideal concept that I've would've pictured The Lion King.

Otherwise, I personally think Bambi could've benefited a series as well. In the same vein as The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. I personally thought the characters needed their universe of expansion. Personally I've would've wanted an animated series for both Pocahontas and Hunchback as well, due to my own childhood bias, but I doubt a series would've been relevant for Hunchback. Perhaps a series could've worked for Pocahontas, something akin to The Little Mermaid series, but we all know it's final reputation.

But certain things that I miss about Disney were certain toy franchises, as Disney Tiny Collection, Perfume Princesses and such. I also miss when Mattel was in charge of the Disney toys (but I've ranted about that priorly). Of course I miss the certain amount of Disney merchandise that featured every release of the nineties.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:53 am 
Limited Edition

I miss Mark Elliot being the omnipresent announcer for Disney ads and promos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:56 am 
Platinum Edition

bruno_wbt wrote:
Now that he is gone, do you think that they could release them, even if it's just for the new streaming device?

Not likely. It's been so long not even people working at the studio now remember its existence. Not to mention that most, if not all, of the staff has changed since then so they wouldn't even have heard of it to begin with. DisneyToon Studios reports to WDAS since 2007 so the people who will be put in charge of WDAS will also be running DTS. Regardless of who becomes in charge though, I highly doubt they would know or care about this old, unused project.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:34 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Would it be redundant to mention hand-drawn animation again? It was dumped by the studio so unceremoniously, especially considering a) it was what built the studio, b) it's synonymous with the studio, and c) Disney is still riding on past hand-drawn successes without actually honoring its legacy by engaging in it. Sometimes I can't believe we live in the world where Disney isn't the one keeping hand-drawn animation alive. There's just something timeless about it and it adds to the whole fantasy storybook feel. What should have been done, IMHO, was having WDAS continue with hand-drawn and keep CG animation exclusive to Pixar. The two studios are practically interchangeable now, having them keep separate visual identities would have helped. Or at least Disney could have pushed their own CG look further than Pixar's realism; I feel that in the old days, Disney would be the one coming up with innovative stuff like Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, but suits running the company are apparently too apprehensive to take artistic risks (as evidenced by what happened with Paperman and Glen Keane's Rapunzel).

Other than that, I'll echo the sentiments of other posters before me: Disney in the '90s rocked! It was truly a great time to be a Disney fan: the animated films were actual annual entertainment events, live-action family films were edgy, bold, funny and smart, older/less popular movies received enough coverage to help keep them in public memory either through either TV broadcasts, home video or merchandise, merchandising itself was at its quality peak, and it was all aimed at everyone. On top of that, you also had films made by Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures and Miramax, covering variety of genres and interests. Now there are four separate major studios under the company's umbrella but their individual approach to business seem to be identical: sequel this and franchise that. Anything that steps out of the mold or incurs a loss gets buried immediately. They all play by the same rules, and most things are either sanitized (Marvel stuff) or babyfied (Disney Princess, Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse).

I too enjoyed some of the DTV sequels, and was sad to see them go just as their quality started to improve, especially as it would have been the only way to enjoy hand-drawn animation from Disney in recent years. That scrapped Hercules sequel sounded like real fun, and I also would have liked to see a "true" sequel to Tarzan and a sequel to Treasure Planet.

On a more specific front, I was always kind of annoyed that Beauty and the Beast never got the "2 sequels and a TV show" treatment like the rest of the Big 4 films did (don't mention Sing Me a Story with Belle, I think we all like to pretend it never happened). Belle's Magical World should have remained the TV show it was obviously meant to be, and a different third BatB movie should have been made in its place.

I'm also sad we never got a third theatrical outing for The Rescuers and Fantasia, and we most likely never will.

I also agree with JeanGreyForever about the newly animated song sequences -- that was a practice I hoped would continue after Beauty and the Beast proved it can be done right and the reinstatement of "If I Never Knew You" in Pocahontas. The Lion King definitely deserved a better song than "Morning Report" though. I would have liked to see "Music in Your Soup" put back in Snow White as it just needed to be colored (and it also fixes the Dopey and the soap continuity error), "To Be Free" animated for Aladdin instead of "Proud of Your Boy" (for as much as I LOVE that song, I'm not sure it fits the rest of the final movie's narrative with Aladdin's mother out of the picture), and perhaps "As Long as There's Moon" for HOND even though it kind of slows the plot down but it also explains the way Quasimodo places Esmeralda's and Phoebus' hands together later in the film.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:46 am 
Platinum Edition

It's times like these I wish we had a like button. I agree with everything with said Mooky and feel the same way.