What do you like most about the Walt Disney era movie (1937-1966)?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

What do you like most about the Walt Disney era movie (1937-1966)?

Post by reee9948 »

For me, I really appreciate that Disney didn't create unnecessary sequels even when the movie was successful. He could've easily cashed on a franchise, but just decided to focus more on making great original stories. I also appreciate that there was no disgusting jokes in the movie that just made me want to skip certain scenes (looking at you Wish).

Disney also knew how to make movies that were kid friendly and also very intense and dark in a mature way not edgy, like Bambi, Pinocchio, Snow White, or Dumbo. I also love the songs from that era, I'm more into the older singing styles and think they more sophisticated and carries the melancholic somber feelings, Sleeping Beauty songs especially are the most melancholic to me. Of course, you can't get forget the beautiful 2d animation that till this day still holds up and even look better than 3d animated movies from 10 years ago like Frozen.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: What do you like most about the Walt Disney era movie (1937-1966)?

Post by Disney Duster »

My favorite thing was the European storybook style art direction and animation for his films featuring magic, like Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, if those are the only ones.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

To be honest, what I truly liked most about Walt`s era, is how there was an innocence to his films. Sure, Walt was known for incorporating harrowing drama, but there still was a simplicity and innocence to his movies. And frankly, despite how much I love the Renaissance and some of the Dark Era movies, it was an old-school simplicity that I missed in Disney later on.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Everything!
Lele
Limited Issue

Post by Lele »

the magic
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

As I get older, I gain much more respect and reverence to Walt's films. As much as I love the 90s films, they don't even come close to the artistic achievement of Walt's films. Don't get me wrong, they are great and fun and all, but the Walt-era films really want you to soak in the beauty and artistry of the visuals, the animation itself, the music and the atmosphere.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Beautifully said, Farerb!
The Walt era films are my absolute favorites and the films I watch every year on their anniversaries.
twihard
Limited Issue

Post by twihard »

reee9948 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:05 pm For me, I really appreciate that Disney didn't create unnecessary sequels even when the movie was successful. He could've easily cashed on a franchise, but just decided to focus more on making great original stories. I also appreciate that there was no disgusting jokes in the movie that just made me want to skip certain scenes (looking at you Wish).

Disney also knew how to make movies that were kid friendly and also very intense and dark in a mature way not edgy, like Bambi, Pinocchio, Snow White, or Dumbo. I also love the songs from that era, I'm more into the older singing styles and think they more sophisticated and carries the melancholic somber feelings, Sleeping Beauty songs especially are the most melancholic to me. Of course, you can't get forget the beautiful 2d animation that till this day still holds up and even look better than 3d animated movies from 10 years ago like Frozen.
beautiful comments. I agree with everything you said. this is why I don't watch new "Disney" at all. or should I call them Iger movies instead.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Farerb wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:44 pm As I get older, I gain much more respect and reverence to Walt's films. As much as I love the 90s films, they don't even come close to the artistic achievement of Walt's films. Don't get me wrong, they are great and fun and all, but the Walt-era films really want you to soak in the beauty and artistry of the visuals, the animation itself, the music and the atmosphere.
Great comments!