DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dragon Empire
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

David Gilson confirmed that the female lead is human and revealed that some details about the initial report are outdated.

Prince Kido wrote:
This project, which I know has been in development for a few years, does not "replace" Gigantic, which has been canceled for various reasons, but has been pushed forward so as not to leave a vacant space in Disney Animation's schedule.

However, this huge leak caused by the site That Hashtag Show, has not been confirmed by Disney. Some information revealed by this leak is not entirely accurate, or rather outdated, while other details are still likely evolving.

I am very excited about the project at the moment even if it is true that there are multiple projects in animation that feature Asian protagonists (could the large Chinese market be the reason for that?)
Source: http://www.disneycentralplaza.com/t6079 ... 20#3381301

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well, to cite my opinion about this project; I'm glad that WDAS is making an original movie again after two sequels in a row, yet I'm still muddled about this project. After having several movies with a Princess lead, I would've rather preferred if WDAS made a musical with a male protagonist, that Gigantic was supposed to be (of course I would want something in the same vain as Disney's other musicals with a male lead, certainly Aladdin, Hunchback and Hercules). Yet I wonder how Disneyesque this project is going to be, if it's going to be in vein of the Disney Princess formula or actually be another type of risk.

Otherwise, I don't mind the supposedly Asian setting, but since Disney has already tapped on this before, it feels derivative. Especially since Mulan was such a valentine towards Chinese and Asian culture and including various aspects of it (also because it had both Japanese and Korean elements as well as Chinese). Big Hero 6 served of course a lesser purpose, since it was a fictional mixture. Even the dragon premise doesn't feel original, since Mulan already had dragons (of course one as the goofy sidekick, but still). Why not exploring other regions of Asia, as the South-Eastern parts? But regarding if the lead is going to fill the Princess franchise, I've always found Mulan's inclusion somewhat contrived, since she's not royal by any means and her placement just seems for contrivance purposes (as I've cited before).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
Disney is in development on an untitled fantasy-adventure animation film with Crazy Rich Asians screenwriter Adele Lim and Moana producer Osnat Shurer.

Disney story artists Paul Briggs (Frozen) and Dean Wellins (Zootopia) are attached to make their directorial debuts on the project which is being set up at Walt Disney Animation Studios. Plot is being kept under wraps but I understand the movie has an Asian element running through it and a female protagonist. It is a theatrical feature rather than one for Disney’s upcoming streaming service and the team is currently going through the casting process for the lead.

Disney development exec Shurer was previously head of Pixar’s short films output. She then produced Disney’s Oscar-nominated hit Moana, which crossed $640M at the worldwide box office. It sounds like this new movie could have some thematic similarities to that film, which followed the strong-willed daughter of a Polynesian village chief. However, I hear it is not musically-infused like Moana.
Source: https://deadline.com/2018/10/disney-cra ... 202478895/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:29 pm 
Platinum Edition

Too bad it's not a musical, but this still sounds interesting.

P!nk ~ "Stupid Girls"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Can't Hold Us Down"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm glad they hired a screenwriter of Asian descent, given that this film will take place in that part of the world. I'm also glad Dean Wellins will finally get to direct an animated movie (if this one doesn't get cancelled like his previous two projects).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:31 am 
Limited Edition

Stills sounds generic and like "Moana but IN ASIA!!111" And I kinda wonder what D82 is insinuating.

I wonder if this is an attempt to "fix" Mulan's mistakes like how Moana did for Pocahontas.

And Goliath and Duster were Sonny and Cher.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:05 am 
Platinum Edition

With Mulan and Big Hero 6 starring East Asian characters, this would have been a good opportunity to do something different and perhaps set it in a South/Southeast Asian country for a change. India seems like a no-brainer. It's a country incredibly rich in the arts, folklore, mythology with an abundance of stories and visual styles to choose from. After the failed attempts to adapt a story set in India with Ramayana and The Emperor's Nightingale, it would have been cool if WDAS finally gave us an animated feature set there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:35 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

thedisneyspirit wrote:
And I kinda wonder what D82 is insinuating.

Regarding what? If it's about the screenwriter, I think it's more likely that a person from the place where the movie is set will get the cultural aspects right.

If it's regarding Dean Wellins, I don't know if he'll be a good director (well, he directed Tick Tock Tale, which wasn't bad, but it was just a short), but I feel bad both projects he was going to direct in the past (Rapunzel and Cosmic 3000) were both cancelled, so I’m happy he'll finally be able to direct a feature film. And I said “if it doesn't get cancelled” because of his bad luck with the projects he's been attached to so far.

I hope I've cleared up your doubts, thedisneyspirit. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:32 am 
Limited Edition

As far as we know THIS is the only Original feature in the works at WDAS, and it hasn't even been officially announced by Disney yet. This company has no clue what to do originally post Gigantic's cancellation. And as far as the general public, they seem to not care, they're more interested in the Live-Action remakes & Pixar. We should get answers at D23 next August, Zootopia 2 is a lock, after that, who knows :?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:43 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
With Mulan and Big Hero 6 starring East Asian characters, this would have been a good opportunity to do something different and perhaps set it in a South/Southeast Asian country for a change. India seems like a no-brainer. It's a country incredibly rich in the arts, folklore, mythology with an abundance of stories and visual styles to choose from. After the failed attempts to adapt a story set in India with Ramayana and The Emperor's Nightingale, it would have been cool if WDAS finally gave us an animated feature set there.

Agreed! Couldn't have said it better myself! I know that I've ranted about this a thousand times priorly, but still.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:50 pm 
Platinum Edition

Shiyoon Kim is working as the lead character designer on Dragon Empire. You can check out his work on his website as well as on his Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr accounts.

Paul Briggs wrote:
Love this Miles Morales design by Shiyoon Kim for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse! But wait until you see what he’s doing next...~heart eyes emoji~
Source: https://twitter.com/_paul_briggs_/statu ... 3832424448

Osnat Shurer wrote:
Raya looks as cool as she does coz of you my friend - thank you!
Source: https://twitter.com/OsnatShurer/status/ ... 7591825408

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:00 am 
Special Edition

I hope the Dragons in the movie are Humanlike like Smaug in the Hobbit and not animallike like in How to Train Your Dragon.

If I were to write a dragon character. He would be intelligent and well spoken. He would be so clever he could talk you into getting eaten by him.

Or if he was good he would be so well spoken he could manage to get two armies to stop fighting and make peace with just his words.

I don’t want a movie where the dragons act like Animals it’s boring.

Also this is just personal preference. I don't care for mute characters in animated movies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:51 pm 
Limited Edition

I don't know if this is true, but according to this "Insider", these will Walt Disney Animation Studios 3 features for Thanksgiving 2020s:

https://animationinsider1.blogspot.com/

Dragon Empire 2020
Latina Princess Feature 2021
Zootopia 2 2022

PLEASE, let this be real at D23 :huh:

Last edited by DisneyEra on Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:13 am 
Collector's Edition

What happened to Moana 2, Frozen 3, Zootopia 3 and Ralph 3 and 4 that we all heard about?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:26 am 
Platinum Edition

DisneyEra wrote:
I don't know if this is true, but according to this "Insider", these will Walt Disney Animation Studios 3 features for Thanksgiving 2020s

It's fake. It's from the same person who impersonated Skyler Shuler on blogger and got their account deleted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:06 am 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:
I don't know if this is true, but according to this "Insider", these will Walt Disney Animation Studios 3 features for Thanksgiving 2020s

It's fake. It's from the same person who impersonated Skyler Shuler on blogger and got their account deleted.

Should of known better, that's one to many Original Features :facepalm:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:52 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

DisneyEra wrote:
Should of known better, that's one to many Original Features :facepalm:

Sorry you got your hopes up. I hope the premise of Dragon Empire (if/whenever we get that) is more unique than the typical buddy comedy and I hope there's more of a hook to that Latina princess film besides creating a Latina princess and Miranda's songs. A proper setting and story for one thing would be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:52 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Quote:

Latina Princess Feature 2021, lol! :P

Wonder if we'll get more information regarding the upcoming projects on this summers Expo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:44 pm 
Platinum Edition

I imagine Frozen 3 won't come until around 2024.

P!nk ~ "Stupid Girls"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Can't Hold Us Down"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:06 pm 
Collector's Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Quote:

Latina Princess Feature 2021, lol! :P

Wonder if we'll get more information regarding the upcoming projects on this summers Expo.

I'm pretty sure they will reveal every upcoming production till 2022, even if it's only a title.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next