Raya and the Last Dragon

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Dragon Empire

Post by Farerb »

Wow, finally not a one word title.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

:banana: :mickana: It's about DAMN Time!!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

WHOOP, THERE IT IS!!!

FINALLY! A real title and looks like Raya WILL be a princess! Can't wait for more shortly!

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVANews/statu ... 2837702657
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Now lets hope over the next 6 months, Disney doesn't cancel it :(
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

interesting they went from the more gender neutral original title to one that emphasizes a female lead. It also looks like the story line has definitely changed from those original plot leaks. Just hope its not too similar to How To Train Your Dragon.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

DisneyEra wrote:Now lets hope over the next 6 months, Disney doesn't cancel it :(
They shouldn't. It's out next year.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I much prefer this new title. It sounds like a lost legend or fable.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

More details have emerged. The film is "inspired by the beautiful and diverse cultures of Southeast Asia". So it's a fictional mash-up of Southeast Asian countries.
The animated film follows Raya, a lone warrior from the fantasy kingdom of Kumandra, who teams up with a crew of misfits in her quest to find the Last Dragon — thus bringing light and unity back to their world. Cassie Steele will voice the lead character Raya, and Awkwafina lends her voice to Sisu, the Last Dragon. Inspired by the beautiful and diverse cultures of Southeast Asia, Raya and the Last Dragon will explore themes of community and hope.
Source: https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2019/08/24 ... agon-2020/
The film tells the story of Raya, a lone warrior from the fantasy kingdom of Kumandra, who teams up with a crew of misfits in her quest to find the Last Dragon and bring light and unity back to their world. Lin, a lifelong Disney fan who was born and raised in Southeast Asia, said, “Disney was a magical, transporting presence in my life.” She grew up watching Disney animated films, but noted, “When my cousins and I were not watching Disney movies—on VHS—we lived for Hong Kong action movies, where young girls could still put the beatdown on bad guys. So this movie is a combination of both those genres which I love—which all of us love.”

The Hall D23 audience met two newly announced members of the voice cast: Awkwafina, who will voice Sisu, the Last Dragon; and Cassie Steele, who voices the lead character. Raya meets Sisu when she is in human form, when she is “not the dragon hero Raya is looking for,” Steele points out. Fans were treated to an exclusive, three-minute piece from the dazzling film, which explores themes of community and hope and is inspired by the beautiful and diverse cultures of Southeast Asia.
Source: https://d23.com/fantastic-live-action-a ... expo-2019/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

@IamMichaelJLee
...Adele Lim , writer, says the film will combine Hong Kong action movies and Disney animation magic. #d23expo
*edit*
(sorry- Sotiris & I posted @ the same time)
Last edited by blackcauldron85 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Descriptions of the footage shown.
In a narration, we learn that Sisu is the last of the dragons and the only one that can save Kumandra from certain destruction. So Raya takes it upon herself to find this legendary dragon. She lights a torch as she enters a cave and the narration reveals that the dragon is a powerful but dangerous gift. One that could save a dying kingdom or bring it to an end. The narrator then asks if they will find hope or destruction, he then corrects himself and uses devastation, but then decides that the word revelation might be better suited for the film. He then closes out by saying "yeah, no more flute". This annoys Raya, who has let the boy tag alone. She says that the whole thing was fun for a minute, but that he should get serious and put the flute away. But as she looks towards the front, a dragon blows out the torch.

We learn that Sisu has two forms, one of an old woman and the other of a dragon, a water spirit from Southeast Asian mythology. However, she is stuck in her human form and needs Raya’s help to bring her back to being a dragon. Sisu looks like a joyful dragon with a white body and white hair. She has a blue horn and blue tail with pink fins. In one of the last clips from the film, we overhear that the gem that Raya is looking for is also essential to the story, and that, in the right hands, could change the world. It all ended with the tagline, “Keep the Light Alive.”
Source: https://www.geeksofdoom.com/2019/08/25/ ... on-footage
Raya, the main character, is determined to find the last dragon to save her nation. The first look at the movie is introduced. In the footage, Raya and a little boy head into what looks like a temple or tomb in a mountain. Rain water flows up this mountain and into this place. The little boy's narrating annoys her a bit. She is charming. A woman threatens them with a voice off screen. Sisu is "inspired by the auspicious water spirits of Southeast Asia." Raya has a gem that channels this "amazing huge power" on her quest to find the dragon. Sisu can also be a wild looking grey-haired woman. Raya has to help her become her "true dragon self."
Source: https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/08/24 ... ecap-expo/
We then got to see a clip and Raya and her little brother are making their way through the cave as he hilariously narrates their path. The animation style is that of Moana. Raya herself is gorgeous with long thick black/dark brown hair. It's not curly like Moana’s but it does have volume. What I like most about Raya is she's a confident badass! Unlike Anna, Elsa, and Moana who are very unsure of themselves and kind of stumble over themselves, Raya reminds me of Mulan and Pocahontas in the way she carries herself and her confidence in where she's going and what she's doing. I believe she is older, possibly in her 20s, definitely not a kid. She gracefully wields a weapon and does all sorts of flips and cool moves. We saw a look at the dragon who apparently is stuck in her human form a lot of the movie (an older woman) and yeah I think that's it! I don't think they mentioned music but it's Disney so I'm sure there will be.
Source: https://all-those-disneydolls.tumblr.co ... ast-dragon
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Logo.

Source: https://wdwnt.com/2019/08/disney-announ ... st-dragon/

Source: https://www.facebook.com/rayaandthelast ... 232684479/

Official online destinations for Raya and the Last Dragon.

Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
blackcauldron85

@DiscussingFilm
The hyper realistic animation for ‘RAYA AND THE LAST DRAGON’ looks astonishingly incredible and rivals the likes of Pixar. #D23Expo #D23
*edit*
@MikeRomeWWE
Raya and the last dragon has a mulan meets Moana vibe! #D23Expo
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sisu is the dragon, and is a magical water being. She is blue, pink, and white. But she will be in human form when we first meet her, taking the appearance of an older woman. She finds herself in human form and needs Raya’s help to transform back to a dragon. Film is about the importance of community. The story is set in an alternate Earth created by dragons.
blackcauldron85

@popetheking
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Concept art by Paul Felix.

Source: http://www.mouseinfo.com/new/2019/08/di ... st-dragon/

Close-up of Raya.

UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

That image is beautiful... but what is that she’s riding on?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

First look at Sisu, the last dragon.

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/statu ... 4673053697
blackcauldron85

OMG!!! I love her already and I need all the merchandise they make of her!!!! <3
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I am not feeling that design. This reminds me of the first time I saw Olaf.

What’s interesting is this is beginning to sound like a buddy comedy... between two women. Which I think is a first for a Disney movie and a rarity in film in general.
Silvershade

Post by Silvershade »

blackcauldron85 wrote:OMG!!! I love her already and I need all the merchandise they make of her!!!! <3
SAME! I don't care if it looks cartoon-y, it's a bonafide wingless Asian water dragon -- you hardly see those! And the color scheme is a wonderful set.:D