Raya and the Last Dragon

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Dragon Empire

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Too bad it's not a musical, but this still sounds interesting.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I'm glad they hired a screenwriter of Asian descent, given that this film will take place in that part of the world. I'm also glad Dean Wellins will finally get to direct an animated movie (if this one doesn't get cancelled like his previous two projects).
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Stills sounds generic and like "Moana but IN ASIA!!111" And I kinda wonder what D82 is insinuating.

I wonder if this is an attempt to "fix" Mulan's mistakes like how Moana did for Pocahontas.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

With Mulan and Big Hero 6 starring East Asian characters, this would have been a good opportunity to do something different and perhaps set it in a South/Southeast Asian country for a change. India seems like a no-brainer. It's a country incredibly rich in the arts, folklore, mythology with an abundance of stories and visual styles to choose from. After the failed attempts to adapt a story set in India with Ramayana and The Emperor's Nightingale, it would have been cool if WDAS finally gave us an animated feature set there.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

thedisneyspirit wrote:And I kinda wonder what D82 is insinuating.
Regarding what? If it's about the screenwriter, I think it's more likely that a person from the place where the movie is set will get the cultural aspects right.

If it's regarding Dean Wellins, I don't know if he'll be a good director (well, he directed Tick Tock Tale, which wasn't bad, but it was just a short), but I feel bad both projects he was going to direct in the past (Rapunzel and Cosmic 3000) were both cancelled, so I’m happy he'll finally be able to direct a feature film. And I said “if it doesn't get cancelled” because of his bad luck with the projects he's been attached to so far.

I hope I've cleared up your doubts, thedisneyspirit. :)
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

As far as we know THIS is the only Original feature in the works at WDAS, and it hasn't even been officially announced by Disney yet. This company has no clue what to do originally post Gigantic's cancellation. And as far as the general public, they seem to not care, they're more interested in the Live-Action remakes & Pixar. We should get answers at D23 next August, Zootopia 2 is a lock, after that, who knows :?
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:With Mulan and Big Hero 6 starring East Asian characters, this would have been a good opportunity to do something different and perhaps set it in a South/Southeast Asian country for a change. India seems like a no-brainer. It's a country incredibly rich in the arts, folklore, mythology with an abundance of stories and visual styles to choose from. After the failed attempts to adapt a story set in India with Ramayana and The Emperor's Nightingale, it would have been cool if WDAS finally gave us an animated feature set there.
Agreed! Couldn't have said it better myself! I know that I've ranted about this a thousand times priorly, but still.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Shiyoon Kim is working as the lead character designer on Dragon Empire. You can check out his work on his website as well as on his Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr accounts.
Paul Briggs wrote:Love this Miles Morales design by Shiyoon Kim for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse! But wait until you see what he’s doing next...~heart eyes emoji~
Source: https://twitter.com/_paul_briggs_/statu ... 3832424448
Osnat Shurer wrote:Raya looks as cool as she does coz of you my friend - thank you!
Source: https://twitter.com/OsnatShurer/status/ ... 7591825408
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I hope the Dragons in the movie are Humanlike like Smaug in the Hobbit and not animallike like in How to Train Your Dragon.

If I were to write a dragon character. He would be intelligent and well spoken. He would be so clever he could talk you into getting eaten by him.

Or if he was good he would be so well spoken he could manage to get two armies to stop fighting and make peace with just his words.

I don’t want a movie where the dragons act like Animals it’s boring.

Also this is just personal preference. I don't care for mute characters in animated movies.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

I don't know if this is true, but according to this "Insider", these will Walt Disney Animation Studios 3 features for Thanksgiving 2020s:

https://animationinsider1.blogspot.com/

Dragon Empire 2020
Latina Princess Feature 2021
Zootopia 2 2022

PLEASE, let this be real at D23 :huh:
Last edited by DisneyEra on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

What happened to Moana 2, Frozen 3, Zootopia 3 and Ralph 3 and 4 that we all heard about?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyEra wrote:I don't know if this is true, but according to this "Insider", these will Walt Disney Animation Studios 3 features for Thanksgiving 2020s
It's fake. It's from the same person who impersonated Skyler Shuler on blogger and got their account deleted.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:I don't know if this is true, but according to this "Insider", these will Walt Disney Animation Studios 3 features for Thanksgiving 2020s
It's fake. It's from the same person who impersonated Skyler Shuler on blogger and got their account deleted.
Should of known better, that's one to many Original Features :facepalm:
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

DisneyEra wrote: Should of known better, that's one to many Original Features :facepalm:
Sorry you got your hopes up. I hope the premise of Dragon Empire (if/whenever we get that) is more unique than the typical buddy comedy and I hope there's more of a hook to that Latina princess film besides creating a Latina princess and Miranda's songs. A proper setting and story for one thing would be nice.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Latina Princess Feature 2021, lol! :P

Wonder if we'll get more information regarding the upcoming projects on this summers Expo.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I imagine Frozen 3 won't come until around 2024.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Latina Princess Feature 2021, lol! :P

Wonder if we'll get more information regarding the upcoming projects on this summers Expo.
I'm pretty sure they will reveal every upcoming production till 2022, even if it's only a title.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

farerb wrote:I'm pretty sure they will reveal every upcoming production till 2022, even if it's only a title.
Most likely.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Untitled Pixar Film Based on Indonesian Folklore

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I hope this film hasn't been scrapped because after rewatching Coco, I really want to see Pixar make another film based on another culture. Coco was my favorite original Pixar film of this decade (although that may not be saying much considering half the competition was Brave and The Good Dinosaur) and it's amazing how authentically they were able to portray Mexico. That's more than I can say for Moana and Elena of Avalor lol, so I hope Pixar starts straying from their comfort zone to more films on other global cultures.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

@DrewTailored on Twitter says
New @DisneyAnimation
movie is called “Raya and the Last Dragon!” #D23Expo
but he may be trolling:

@NerdsSocialClub
So far just sizzle reels and clips of what’s to come

#Disney #D23 #D23Expo #D23Expo2019 #DisneyPlus
Nope, looks legit:

@adambvary
The #DisneyStudios panel at #D23Expo starts w/ a presentation that says "YOU'RE MORE THAN FANS, YOU'RE FAMILY." Then glimpses of: RAYA AND THE LAST DRAGON, ARTEMIS FOWL, MULAN, JUNGLE CRUISE, THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN, SOUL, ONWARD, FORD V FERRARI, SPIDES IN DISGUISE, & BLACK WIDOW.