Raya and the Last Dragon

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Re: Raya and the Last Dragon

Post by estefan »

farerb wrote:FFS. Frozen II's first teaser came in February. Ralph's was in March. There's no reason to think it will come sooner than that.
Really what's with this negative attitude? Anyone who knows Disney's time table knows they usually only start to promote 7-8 months before the films are released.
Exactly. I think it's likely we get the first teaser either in front of "Onward" in March or "Soul" in June.

You can even look to "Soul" as an example. The initial concept art was first revealed at D23 in the summer (and the movie wasn't even officially announced until a year before its release), while the teaser came out in November, seven months before the movie opens.

Looking at non-sequel WDAS examples, Moana's first teaser was released in June and Big Hero 6's first teaser was released in May.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Moana had a huge showing back at D23 in August 2015. Along with Zootopia & Gigantic. After that, with the year not even over, Disney released 3 new images of Moana. The article in People, which was the first official image of the character in completed CGI from October 2015. The other 2, I remember were released on Christmas Day 2015.

So why were those images released when Moana was basically a year out from release? Not to mention Zootopia was coming out first?

Now look at Raya. Officially announced at D23 August 2019. While a few images where released, more content was shown but not revealed to the public. It's been nearly 5 months since, & nothing. I hope we get a new image or anything for that matter in February. There clearly isn't a lot of excitement at Disney for Raya :(
Attachments
heScore-566682953.jpg
heScore-566682953.jpg (221.45 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't believe Raya will be cancelled. And I hope not; I'm much more excited about this than I ever was Gigantic. The plot and Awkwafina's involvement both make me interested to see how this turns out, particularly in mind with how Lasseter's absence might lead to less stifled creativity as well. I understand the fear they might cancel another original project though, DisneyEra, but this doesn't seem abnormal compared to how they promoted their past few films.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I think they dont want another Gigantic situation.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I agree with everyone. At least Moana had much more material shown on Disney D23 Expo and the the brief promo clip from Disney Channel at New years. Frozen II had at least the Russian leaks and some pictures of merchandise. We've got nothing on Raya yet and I hope it won't be cancelled.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Isn't the film supposed to come out this year? I can't imagine they would cancel it this late in the game unless they really have done nothing with the film. It is strange though how little we know about Raya. Even Moana was known and talked about by the general public in advance of the film but I feel like nobody knows this film even exists, let alone is coming out this year.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Isn't the film supposed to come out this year? I can't imagine they would cancel it this late in the game unless they really have done nothing with the film. It is strange though how little we know about Raya. Even Moana was known and talked about by the general public in advance of the film but I feel like nobody knows this film even exists, let alone is coming out this year.
Moana was the last film in a time when Disney had no issue with sharing details on future projects (before Gigantic cancellation). We knew about Moana since 2011 if I remember correctly.
In recent years Disney operates differently. All the films from WDAS (and Pixar) are announced closer to release and are being promoted 7-8 months before the release. That's just how it is now and it doesn't mean anything bad, people just need to be patient.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Isn't the film supposed to come out this year? I can't imagine they would cancel it this late in the game unless they really have done nothing with the film. It is strange though how little we know about Raya. Even Moana was known and talked about by the general public in advance of the film but I feel like nobody knows this film even exists, let alone is coming out this year.
Moana was the last film in a time when Disney had no issue with sharing details on future projects (before Gigantic cancellation). We knew about Moana since 2011 if I remember correctly.
In recent years Disney operates differently. All the films from WDAS (and Pixar) are announced closer to release and are being promoted 7-8 months before the release. That's just how it is now and it doesn't mean anything bad, people just need to be patient.
Wow, 2011 is a long time ago. I knew we knew about the film for a while but I didn't realize it was that long before the film's release. I thought 2012/2013. Even Tangled and Frozen, they were a lot more closed off about compared to TPATF when they released a lot of information about the film only for it to backfire when they were accused of racism and had to heavily overhaul the film (including the title, plot, main character's name, and love interest's race).
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote: Moana was the last film in a time when Disney had no issue with sharing details on future projects (before Gigantic cancellation). We knew about Moana since 2011 if I remember correctly.
Wow, 2011 is a long time ago. I knew we knew about the film for a while but I didn't realize it was that long before the film's release. I thought 2012/2013. Even Tangled and Frozen, they were a lot more closed off about compared to TPATF when they released a lot of information about the film only for it to backfire when they were accused of racism and had to heavily overhaul the film (including the title, plot, main character's name, and love interest's race).
Well, it wasn't known specifically as "Moana", but as a Musker and Clements project, then it was said the film will be about the mythic Maui, and then it was going to be about a Polynesian princess (maybe around 2013-2014 after the success of Frozen I guess). I remember even that the film was speculated to be called "Spirited".
Even in these forums you can see the Moana thread started in 2011.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't believe Raya will be cancelled. And I hope not; I'm much more excited about this than I ever was Gigantic. The plot and Awkwafina's involvement both make me interested to see how this turns out, particularly in mind with how Lasseter's absence might lead to less stifled creativity as well. I understand the fear they might cancel another original project though, DisneyEra, but this doesn't seem abnormal compared to how they promoted their past few films.
Personally I was looking more forward to Gigantic than Raya, mostly due to that it was a project that was steeped in classic Disney. But I know that I'm repeating myself. But I'm still looking forward to Raya, since it's the first post-Lasseter property and it is another feature with a non-Caucasian heroine. Which is always intriguing.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I don't believe Raya will be cancelled. And I hope not; I'm much more excited about this than I ever was Gigantic. The plot and Awkwafina's involvement both make me interested to see how this turns out, particularly in mind with how Lasseter's absence might lead to less stifled creativity as well. I understand the fear they might cancel another original project though, DisneyEra, but this doesn't seem abnormal compared to how they promoted their past few films.
Personally I was looking more forward to Gigantic than Raya, mostly due to that it was a project that was steeped in classic Disney. But I know that I'm repeating myself. But I'm still looking forward to Raya, since it's the first post-Lasseter property and it is another feature with a non-Caucasian heroine. Which is always intriguing.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyFan09 wrote: Personally I was looking more forward to Gigantic than Raya, mostly due to that it was a project that was steeped in classic Disney. But I know that I'm repeating myself. But I'm still looking forward to Raya, since it's the first post-Lasseter property and it is another feature with a non-Caucasian heroine. Which is always intriguing.
I think the only thing that I was looking forward to from Gigantic were the Lopezes, but I'm glad they're on another project now. Hopefully one with a story I'm more interested in. I do wish Raya was a musical, but I'll probably enjoy it anyway.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I think the only thing that I was looking forward to from Gigantic were the Lopezes, but I'm glad they're on another project now. Hopefully one with a story I'm more interested in.
Why weren't you interested in Gigantic?
I do wish Raya was a musical, but I'll probably enjoy it anyway.
Me too. It's quite remarkable that WDAS is making a feature With a female lead that won't be a musical.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Wow, 2011 is a long time ago. I knew we knew about the film for a while but I didn't realize it was that long before the film's release. I thought 2012/2013. Even Tangled and Frozen, they were a lot more closed off about compared to TPATF when they released a lot of information about the film only for it to backfire when they were accused of racism and had to heavily overhaul the film (including the title, plot, main character's name, and love interest's race).
Well, it wasn't known specifically as "Moana", but as a Musker and Clements project, then it was said the film will be about the mythic Maui, and then it was going to be about a Polynesian princess (maybe around 2013-2014 after the success of Frozen I guess). I remember even that the film was speculated to be called "Spirited".
Even in these forums you can see the Moana thread started in 2011.
Yeah I remember hearing that Musker and Clements were working on a Polynesian princess film. And I remember seeing this piece of concept art.

https://www.rotoscopers.com/2013/10/12/ ... eys-moana/
According to the Rotoscopers, it was released in late 2013, just a little before Frozen was released which is also around the time I remember hearing about Moana first but I'm sure there was more information about M&C working on a Polynesian project before like you said. Spirited was just a fan-made title I think. Someone made a fake schedule of future Disney films (that might also have included Marvel films) and Spirited was on there.
ImageImage
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Regarding this movie being the first "post-Lasseter" feature from Disney; as we know he left Disney in November 2017. And at least at Pixar, a movie can take up to six years from idea to finished product (Onward have been in development for almost six and a half year). If the articles about Raya and the Last Dragon are correct, Disney first started working on it early 2018. That's less than three years, which is impressive compared to the Pixar films. Not sure how long it usually takes to make a Disney feature (Rapunzel/Tangled was as we know in development for years).
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Regarding this movie being the first "post-Lasseter" feature from Disney; as we know he left Disney in November 2017. And at least at Pixar, a movie can take up to six years from idea to finished product (Onward have been in development for almost six and a half year). If the articles about Raya and the Last Dragon are correct, Disney first started working on it early 2018. That's less than three years, which is impressive compared to the Pixar films. Not sure how long it usually takes to make a Disney feature (Rapunzel/Tangled was as we know in development for years).
That's crazy! Could it possibly be true?

The only big-studio CG production I know of that was produced at warp speed is Sony's Emoji Movie. Even in that case I'm not sure how they did it.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

This is what was said about the movie:

https://www.slashfilm.com/raya-and-the-last-dragon-d23/
In 2018, some details began to leak online about a possible new Walt Disney Animation project rumored to be called Dragon Empire. We knew that Disney story artists Paul Briggs (Frozen) and Dean Wellins (Zootopia) were attached to make their directorial debut, with Moana producer Osnat Shurer overseeing and Adele Lim (Crazy Rich Asians) writing the script.

Now that project has officially been announced, and its real title has been revealed to be Raya and the Last Dragon.

Of course it is possible that it was in the works before that, but it is still very fast. I notice that Adele Lim has an instagram account, so maybe she could share when she first pitched the idea for Disney. Unless her contract says she is not allowed to say anything about even that.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The film has been in the works since at least 2015.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Guys, teasers for RBTI and Frozen 2 were released at the middle of/end of Feburary. I don't think Raya getting no publicity in January, the beginning of the year, means that it's cancelled :P :P :P
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Sotiris wrote:The film has been in the works since at least 2015.
A lot longer than they made it sound when it was first announced.