Raya and the Last Dragon

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Raya and the Last Dragon

Post by Disney's Divinity »

If there's anyone who actually uses DMC regularly (I only use it when I re-start over and over again :lol: ): I wanted to ask, how long before a new release like starts to follow the member discounts the way everything else does? I didn't realize the buy one full price / everything else 40% off didn't impact new releases. Is it usually only the first week new releases aren't affected or the first month?

I usually don't buy Blu-rays until they're $12 or less (that's what I did with Frozen even, for example), but I was going to make an exception here and fork over $20 for a new release with this one. But it's price is $25 everywhere so far--just the standard Blu-ray, not the steelbook or the 4K release. $25 is crazy to me for the standard, I guess I'm just tuned out what early prices are since I always wait. I've finished my commitment for DMC now, so I should have VIP benefits again shortly (I already have free shipping with any purchase even before being VIP). So maybe I can buy it for 60% off in a couple of weeks. I just hate to wait because I really wanted to see this one again. :/ I would've seen it in theaters again the way I did with TP&TF and Frozen if not for COVID. Maybe Amazon or DeepDiscount will come down on release day; sometimes pre-orders are priced higher than what it'll really be.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

I bought the film at Walmart yesterday! I left it at my mother's house last night because she hadn't seen the movie yet, but I should get it back tonight. :D

I did a bit of a switcheroo with the 4K slipcover. The slipcovers on the 4K release didn't have barcodes on them, but had a hole cutout where the barcode is underneath on the case itself. So I decided to take the slipcover of the 4K release and put it onto one of the standard Blu-rays since the standard Blu-ray's cover is so ugly. :lol:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I'm glad you bought it!! I had seen your DMC question above; even though I'm a member, I don't know the answer. Did you leave the 4K disc naked or you put the Blu slipcover over it? :lol:
Disney's Divinity

Naked. The standard Blu-ray didn't have a slipcover of its own. I figured there will be somebody out there who doesn't care about slipcovers who will buy that 4K. I actually prefer slipcovers on my Blu-rays; it's a shame that it's so random that they'll come with them or not.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I was about to buy it yesterday, but I finally decided to wait a bit more until there's a 2x1 offer, for example. I still don't have Soul on Blu-ray either, so maybe I can get both then.

By the way, the first 8 minutes of the film have been released on Youtube and here are a couple of new articles:

Raya and the Last Dragon’s creators struggled to find past films about female friendship
https://www.polygon.com/22440310/raya-a ... characters

Details About ‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ Cut Storylines, and How Hot Benja Sent the Crew Into a Frenzy [Interview]
https://www.slashfilm.com/raya-and-the- ... interview/
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

hmm, you know I agree that Benja was a good looking dude but Disney should be a bit careful with encouraging all the hot dad talk, seems a bit of a double standard when compared to how careful they are when talking about their female characters these days. Imagine if they were all talking about how hot they could make Namari's mom or how hot they thought Elsa and Anna's mom was? Yeah...exactly. :milkbuds:

anywayyys, I saw the Target disc sets a couple of days ago but didn't pick any up yet. I'm disappointed that we didn't get one of those nice digibooks with concept art like they released for Frozen 2, Cinderella and LM. Just 4 loose postcards? Meh. I would have gotten the Best Buy steelbook, but I don't like the poster they used for the cover art. Anyone know if there's gonna be any other promo/ store exclusives available this week? Doesn't Walmart usually have something?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I'll go ahead and order the 4K Blu-ray. I loved the movie, and I'd love to add it to my collection. :)

It's kinda weird they only decided to add the slipcover to the 4K edition though.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

From what I know Disney isn't going to make slipcovers for blu-rays anymore, just for the 4Ks. The same happened with DVDs back then.
Disney's Divinity

I bought the soundtrack last week, too. I had to wait until I went by the local library, because while I can load one song downloads on my PC easy, I need high speed Internet to do a whole album. I would’ve just bought “Lead the Way” by itself, but I remembered I loved several pieces of the score at the end of the film especially. I think “Lead the Way” is probably my favorite End Credits song since “Never Knew I Needed”—and I feel like both encapsulate the film’s message so perfectly and to me the film isn’t complete without listening to the song at the end for both of those movies. (I wish Anika would do a cover of “NKIN.”) The lyrics suit a wide audience, but for me personally I draw so many spiritual meanings from it. “We all have a choice to build or destroy” (life or death), “there is power in the water” (baptism), a “legacy that we honor” (the Messiah), being a “light in the dark,” “start by treating you as myself” (the Golden Rule). The film itself had religious tones to me, especially the part after Sisu dies and Fang pretty much falls in a couple of hours after they considered themselves so safe, protected, and above it all. Everything about the film was what I needed at the time, tbh. While I wish that the standard Blu-ray had been the picture I'd seen on the DMC website--the Star Wars-esque poster I'd loved--I would've been fine if the cover had been that picture of all the characters around the table eating together. Too bad.

Those few scenes that look odd--when young Raya is describing the different nations / areas and then when Boun is describing how they could infiltrate Fang--was that something similar to the Paperman technique? They didn't bother me so much in theater, but looking at them up-close at home, I'm not so crazy about the look of those moments. One of my favorite moments in the film is when Sisu is describing how they should convince Namaari. The little dance they do as they go off down the stairs makes me :lol: . Anyway:
Disney’s Raya and the Last Dragon grossed $1.662 million (-2%) in weekend 12, giving the action fantasy a $48.3 million domestic cume. The well-reviewed and well-liked Kelly Marie Tran/Awkwafina animated adventure would have likely earned $48 million in the first three days had it opened in non-Covid times last Thanksgiving. Nonetheless, it has earned 5.5x its $8.7 million debut and displayed impressive staying power (partially due to certain theater chains only agreeing to run the movie late in the game). It has passed Tom & Jerry ($46 million) and Wonder Woman 1984 ($46.5 million) to sit behind only The Croods: A New Age ($57 million), Tenet ($58 million) and Godzilla vs. Kong ($96 million) among the biggest pandemic-era grossers.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... worldwide/

I'm sure it would be second only to the Godzilla film if Disney hadn't been fighting with theater chains. The article talks about multiple films aside from Raya, particularly the Demon Slayer film's enormous success. I'm happy for it, because the show is amazing. I'd love to buy all of the manga, but buying manga is too much for me when they have around 20+ volumes all for $8-10. I only have Sailor Moon, YYH, and Cardcaptor Sakura's complete manga. I've been working on getting all of Soul Eater and Black Butler for years now. :lol: And I'd love to have Fairy Tail and My Hero Academia. Maybe someday. :wink:
blackcauldron85

I agree that "Lead the Way" has really nice lyrics. (It's a good song all-around, not just the lyrics!)
Disney's Divinity wrote:I wish Anika would do a cover of “NKIN.”
YES. YES YES YES. That's my most favorite Disney pop song, and Anika is perfect, so yes!

I am still waiting for my Blu to arrive in the mail...it didn't come in the mail today, but USPS.com says it should come by 8pm. I don't understand USPS delivering mail more than once a day.
Disney's Divinity

‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ Filmmaker Carlos López Estrada Signs With M88 (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/carl ... 234977355/

‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ Dominates Disc Sales Charts
https://www.mediaplaynews.com/raya-and- ... es-charts/
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Didn't watch this but apparently it's free now. Not sure I'm gonna let myself be queerbaited especially after the racism of pretending Southeast Asians and Koreans are synonymous.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I used to think that Namaari's hairstyle was unique to her or her kingdom, but watching some movies recently I noticed that Pixar used this kind of hairstyle in some of their previous films:

Inside Out:

Incredibles 2:

Toy Story 4:

I don't think I have ever seen anyone wear their hair like that, is it common? And what is your opinion about it?

blackcauldron85

Demi Lovato has had their hair like that, with varying lengths. I know other people have, famous and not, but they come to mind:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity- ... ut-4526715

I don't really have an opinion on it...not for me (I'm very basic with my hair) but it looks pretty neat.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Farerb wrote:I used to think that Namaari's hairstyle was unique to her or her kingdom, but watching some movies recently I noticed that Pixar used this kind of hairstyle in some of their previous films:

Inside Out:

Incredibles 2:

Toy Story 4:

I don't think I have ever seen anyone wear their hair like that, is it common? And what is your opinion about it?

This is a very modern style of hair which I do not approve of. I don't like people bashing on femininity the way it's cool to do sooo now. I have a conservative friend who said the only good thing about the 60s/70s was bringing back long hair. Although I disagree with her in a lot I do think the 60s/70s had some of the best fashions particularly in hair styles and I still wear my hair in those styles to be vintage.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

First FYC ads for the movie:

Source: https://www.nextbestpicture.com/disney-fyc-gallery.html
Disney's Divinity

A better shot to pick would've been the one of the four turned to stone (and Raya holding the stone) at the climax. It's haunting and encapsulates the film's themes at the same time.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I agree. I think they'll use that shot too for a future ad.
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

(Mini rant incoming, be careful!)

Yeah, so I saw Raya and the Last Dragon at a public screening a few months ago. Then I saw it again in my own time and uh...

I don't like this movie. :down:

I can acknowledge that the animation is pretty and some of the score is lovely -- I like the orchestration when Sisu walks on water droplets. The food looks amazing too, it makes me hungry whenever I see it.

But! And this is a big BUT.

This movie has a TERRIBLE moral about trust. It really rubs me the wrong way.

Spoilers (!!!); Will spoiler tag just in case but maybe it's not needed.

Long story short the movie is constantly bombarding me and Raya that you gotta trust others, that trust cannot work unless you take the first step.

Except Raya DID take the first step back when they were kids, and then Namari promptly backstabbed her, which led to people fighting over magic and things going to heck and back.

Raya had NO parent for years after that incident -- plus she kept questioning if her father was wrong to believe in trust, and Raya had the burden of trying to restore the world. Meanwhile Namari and her mom were able to live in relative peace in their kingdom. ... Yey...

Ultimately Raya was hurt by someone and once the dragon comes in Sisu is repeatedly saying "Trust your enemy, give them another chance!"

When Raya is an adult , I believe that she stole something from Fang (the scroll?) And that's why Namari is chasing Raya when this movie starts up.

Okay, that works for interesting character tension, not so much the trust moral because it's basically a double whammy of no trust -- although I don't think anyone really cared that Raya stole something? Like it did not seem like it mattered to anyone or hurt anything except Namari's pride. Hm.

When Raya needs to finish the gem, Namari is about to betray her AGAIN. Namari has an arrow pointed at Sisu ... And she doesn't expect Raya to freak out here? Namari doesn't even try to explain why she's doing it, no "my mom would be angry if I didn't," no "Fang is struggling more and more".

Why is it Raya's responsibility to put the first step in trust here, again? Wouldn't it have made more sense for Namari to communicate, even briefly, about her perspective? Why couldn't Namari see that Raya has people on her side that trusted her and that maybe Raya knew a good idea to fix things?

I do not care if Namari did what she did to make her mom happy. Good intentions get washed away by bad actions. Namari's actions constantly hurt others -- Raya stealing was her worst crime but evidently that didn't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

The fact that Namari doesn't realize that or care about her own wrongdoings and instead goes (to Raya): "You're just as much to blame" for Sisu's death is despicable.

Do people see Namari and Raya as good friends or even potential partners? I really hope not -- they have way too many issues.

I can see what they were trying to do, but like others this whole message of "trust and forgiveness" could have thrived in a series where the characters have more of a slow burn, the low points could have slowly been built, etc. The side characters were barely there and I felt dumbfounded by the con baby.

Eh... Positivity again... Sisu's human design is really pretty. The cultural representation, while surface level (they apparently crafted a language for this world but only once is it used, when Raya sings a prayer) is nice. Namari's hair style reads as too contemporary for me, but Raya's hair as a kid and adult looks great.

I don't think this is the worst movie ever, I just hate the moral combined with how this movie uses its characters to push said moral. I feel this could have worked if they rewrote the script one more time.