Raya and the Last Dragon

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Re: Raya and the Last Dragon

Post by unprincess »

They were just always staged toward the camera (even when it moved around) to maintain appeal of the puppet designs.
what does he mean?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Watch 'Raya and the Last Dragon' Bloopers Featuring Awkwafina and Kelly Marie Tran (Exclusive)
https://www.etonline.com/raya-and-the-l ... ive-163230

Did You Spot These Easter Eggs In 'Raya & The Last Dragon'? (Exclusive Bonus Clip)
http://www.justjaredjr.com/2021/04/01/d ... onus-clip/
unprincess wrote:
They were just always staged toward the camera (even when it moved around) to maintain appeal of the puppet designs.
what does he mean?
I guess what he means is that the puppets from the prologue are always parallel to the camera. They move in front of the camera, but the camera doesn't move around them. That was made to make them look flat and resemble the Southeast Asian shadow puppets they're inspired by.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Promo announcing that the film is already available on digital and new and interesting clips from the deleted scenes. The first two give us a better idea of how the Druun were going to be initially and show the magical powers Raya's sword had, and the third one reveals how the Kumandra flowers (which finally weren't in the final film) were going to be and confirms Raya was called Kaya at first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31EyApWJxLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4rwZudPco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCgoNoPeXhQ&t=2s
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I must say that while I like the final version of the Druun, there's something better about Raya actually caring about other people that I felt was lacking in the final film. I mean I get why she doesn't care about people from other lands, but it felt weird to me that she even disregarded the people of Heart as well and her father was her only goal.

I also have a feeling that they didn't plan for people to come back at the end, that the Druun either killed them or turned them into stone permanently. I think the film would have turned out better if they went that route, and then Raya sort of builds herself a new family. It would have been more bittersweet instead of kitsch in my opinion, but I guess Disney deemed it too dark.

Was that Cassie Steele in the second clip?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Watch: Awkwafina, Kelly Marie Tran recorded 'Raya and the Last Dragon' from living room tents
https://eu.usatoday.com/videos/entertai ... 067013002/

farerb wrote:I must say that while I like the final version of the Druun, there's something better about Raya actually caring about other people that I felt was lacking in the final film. I mean I get why she doesn't care about people from other lands, but it felt weird to me that she even disregarded the people of Heart as well and her father was her only goal.
I hadn't thought of that before, but I agree that it would've been nice if they had shown she also cared about her people and not just about her father, especially considering that as a princess she should feel responsible for them.
farerb wrote:Was that Cassie Steele in the second clip?
Oh, maybe it was her! Though it could also be a temporary voice by someone from the studio. In any case, I much prefer Kelly Marie Tran's voice.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thanks for sharing those!! In the 3rd one (Heart of the Dragon), it confirms that her name was "Kaya" at one point.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

estefan wrote:Even though there is no romance in "Raya and the Last Dragon" (and honestly, a romance would be largely unnecessary as there's no real place for it in this story), Raya's main motivation for finding Sisu and reversing this curse is wanting to see her father again. So a man is still an important character in the story and driving Raya's character.
That's a great point.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

D82 wrote:
unprincess wrote: what does he mean?
I guess what he means is that the puppets from the prologue are always parallel to the camera. They move in front of the camera, but the camera doesn't move around them. That was made to make them look flat and resemble the Southeast Asian shadow puppets they're inspired by.
thanks for the explanation!

Ive read elsewhere that Disney is happy with the film's streaming performance and is planning a sequel. Anyone know anything about this?
Disney's Divinity

From your lips to God's ears, unprincess!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

unprincess wrote: Ive read elsewhere that Disney is happy with the film's streaming performance and is planning a sequel. Anyone know anything about this?
The only ones I've seen saying this are We Got This Covered.
Disney's Divinity

It may be a very long time before it ever becomes official if there will be one, considering WDAS is trying to shake off the "only sequels" criticism of WDAS and PIXAR. I mean, Zootopia 2 still has not been announced and there's no doubt to anyone that that film is coming....
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

farerb wrote:The only ones I've seen saying this are We Got This Covered.
Yeah now you reminded me We Got This Covered was mentioned as the source of the news(or rumor more likely.) I have no idea how legit WGTC is. Personally Id prefer a series over a film
Disney's Divinity

If there's a sequel, I've no doubt there will be a series on Disney+, too.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

saw it a 2nd time at a theater but it was a frustrating viewing experience, for some reason the image was very dark and at one point large red horizontal bands started appearing over the film image! :x I had to leave the room and ask an employee to fix it(don't you hate when that happens!) The bands went away but it still looked too dark. Thank goodness I only had to pay 5 bucks, it was a weekday afternoon showing so I guess I caught a matinee discount.

Ive just had the worst luck with this film at theaters, the first time I saw it, it looked fine but for some reason the whole film had captions/text scrolling on the bottom! There was nothing about that showing being cc when I ordered the tickets. Still wasn't as bad as today's botched looking viewing.

anyone noticed that Spine has MAMMOTHS! I wish we saw more of them. So Spine has mammoths, Heart has giant armadillo bugs, Fang has cats, Talon has Ongis...I wonder what special fantasy creature Tail has...I guess those bomb bugs? :P
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

closed captions? what did they do, just load up their personal disney plus account and forgot they left it on? lol
I didn't think they even coded them into the versions they send to theaters. This theater sounds all kinds of janky to me.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

^^ Do you think they really could have been streaming illicitly from Disney+?

If that's the case, there should have been other tell-tale signs, like compression (should be quite visible on a cinema screen!) as well as motion judder. (Are there any devices that can produce 24p from the streaming services? It amazes me how in 2021, there are practically no devices that can stream Netflix on 24p - it's disgraceful, and for that reason I cannot watch Netflix on my projector setup because I find the effect intolerable.)
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

no I mean there were English subtitles scrolling on the bottom of the screen. I dont know exactly what thats called, closed captioning or something else? and when there was no dialogue and just the score it would show a little music sign. Other than that it looked fine. This wasn't some cheapo theater either it was an AMC cinema, not the classiest high end place but pretty decent.

also the 2nd viewing yesterday wasn't in the same theater, it was another theater(CMX) at a very busy large mall popular with tourists so also not just some rundown place. :?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Jules wrote:^^ Do you think they really could have been streaming illicitly from Disney+?
Probably not, but maybe a pirated copy would be a bit more possible? I know sometimes I'll play a ripped movie...er a friend... (I dunno what the rules are here lol) and the close captioning is on by default, and has to be manually turned off if playing it using VLC.
Disney's Divinity

Raya and the Last Dragon Continues to Dominate Vudu & FandangoNOW
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/ ... andangonow
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^I'm glad it's doing well on those services.