Raya and the Last Dragon

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Raya and the Last Dragon

Post by Farerb »

Now that a little time has passed I thought it would be interesting to ask how would you compare this film to Disney's other non-musical action/adventure (almost mimicking live action) films of the past, most notably Tarzan, Atlantis, Treasure Planet or Big Hero 6?
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Tarzan
Raya
Atlantis
Treasure Planet
BH6
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree with that ranking except I'd switch Tarzan and Raya. I watched the beginning of Tarzan the other day (I stopped at Sabor's death), and it's definitely a great film. I do think Tarzan has a soundtrack advantage, but I actually always like the early part of Tarzan better than the second half, my interest dropping somewhat when Jane, Clayton, and Jane's father enter the story. Plus, I think Terk is so much funnier when they're children; the opposite is true for Tantor, he's funnier when they're all adults. The weakest part of this film is definitely Clayton. The stakes and drama are so well-done that he just feels out-of-place with the rest of the film being so good. He especially pales in comparison to Sabor, who was terrifying. I personally felt that Raya maintained my interest throughout and I didn't dislike any of the characters (not even Noi, although that was clearly an UO). I can't wait for it to come to home media in a couple of weeks! :D

With time, I've come to regard Atlantis as a great film, too. I used to not be as fond of it as I am now. TP, on the other hand, I love despite plenty of flaws that are always obvious to me when I watch that film. Miss me at BH6. It, like Chicken Little, The Wild, and WIR / RBtI, is one of those Disney films I have no interest in ever owning. I'll admit sometimes I will watch it when it's on TV, up to the point that Tadashi dies and then I peace out.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Im actually surprised I ended up placing Raya above the other 2 2d films as I almost always favor a 2d film over a 3d one for its artistic aesthetic alone. And I was almost tempted to switch the positions of Raya and Atlantis. Maybe its just that Raya is newer and I like Atlantis/TP but dont LOVE them. I think I do slightly prefer Atlantis to TP b/c I do love the diesel-punk aspect to it.

I agree about BH6, I found it boring and generic and for some reason I just could never get into Baymax.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Best Buy Steelbook:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I like they used the teaser poster for one of the editions, though I wish the title was on the cover.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I wish they used the map like this fan did in their artwork:
https://twitter.com/SanjayCreates/statu ... 97236?s=19
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

farerb wrote:I wish they used the map like this fan did in their artwork:
https://twitter.com/SanjayCreates/statu ... 97236?s=19
That's fan made? :o It looks very professional! I prefer the map too.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I agree with that ranking except I'd switch Tarzan and Raya. I watched the beginning of Tarzan the other day (I stopped at Sabor's death), and it's definitely a great film. I do think Tarzan has a soundtrack advantage, but I actually always like the early part of Tarzan better than the second half, my interest dropping somewhat when Jane, Clayton, and Jane's father enter the story. Plus, I think Terk is so much funnier when they're children; the opposite is true for Tantor, he's funnier when they're all adults. The weakest part of this film is definitely Clayton. The stakes and drama are so well-done that he just feels out-of-place with the rest of the film being so good. He especially pales in comparison to Sabor, who was terrifying.
Well, as for the first part of Tarzan being superior, I can definitively see that argument. For me personally, I don`t find the second and third act of the film worse. But the reason for seeing why people think so, is how Tarzan feels somewhat delineated. The first and second act deals with different storylines, so it feels somewhat divided. To be honest, I think Tantor was superior as a child (as an adult he`s really annoying), while Terk was good both in both ages. But honestly I find the comedy to be the weakest part of the film. While some of it works (like the interaction between Kala and baby Tarzan and Tarzan and Jane`s name exchange), most of the comedy has aged more poorly. I`ve cringed of both the Elephant Dare Mission and the Baboon Chase, as both are extremely juvenile and boisterous.

As for Clayton, I can definitively see that argument, too. He`s not a bad character, but feels shoehorned in. He`s just not a strong enough villain to truly carry the picture, as the best Disney villains usually does. Sabor is a superior antagonist in every single way. Either way, I do like Tarzan, since it does have some great componens. Even though it suffers from many flaws as a whole.
With time, I've come to regard Atlantis as a great film, too. I used to not be as fond of it as I am now. TP, on the other hand, I love despite plenty of flaws that are always obvious to me when I watch that film.
To be honest, I`ve always regarded Atlantis as a great film. Ironically, the years have made me realize it`s flaws more (it tells a story that doesn`t truly lend itself to it`s medium and it`s too character-oriented when it needed to be more story oriented). Even though I could see some of it`s faults when it first premiered (as how Helga was being underdeveloped, yet I know that I`m repeating myself). What are the flaws of Treasure Planet, in your opinion?
Last edited by DisneyFan09 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sigh, another Disney Princess who does everything for a man. This time her father.

Jk. The movie was great. The only downside to me was certain parts of the humor and I thought the weakest parts were those and the dialogue. I don't remember any really good lines. The humor of a con martial arts baby will always be the worst thing to me. You guys ever heard of the Baby Geniuses movies? That's what this film resorted to. That! Also, Namaari got farted on by bugs. But I did like the overall message and all other aspects of the film were pretty good. My favorite characters were Sisu and Tong. I only laughed once, but it was, "Best Friends Forever!" rotfl All in all, a thouroughly entertaining, magical adventure that would probably hit me emotionally did I not feel I had no soul.
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan09 wrote:What are the flaws of Treasure Planet, in your opinion?
Mostly a lot of the background alien designs and some of the voice acting. No offense to DHP, but I find the doctor's voice a bit annoying--and Martin Sheen *very* annoying as BEN. I've often found Sheen irksome in many things, actually.... He seems like a nice person, just a bit of a show-off which means being very loud, I guess. He worked better as the (intentionally) annoying seal in Madagascar 3.

Oh, and the CGI whales looked horrid even back when this first came out. God, I wish they had drawn those.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ Martin Short voiced BEN, not Martin Sheen! :)
Disney's Divinity

Oh, sorry, Short is who I meant. I looked up the name Martin Sheen right now to see if there is a celeb with that name, and apparently it's the man who played the president on The West Wing. :lol: Not who I was thinking of, sorry about that.
Disney's Divinity

‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ tops $ 100 million at global box office
Although heavily affected by the COVID pandemic and boycotted by some film networks, the animation “ Raya and the Last Dragon ” managed to surpass the $ 100 million mark at the global box office.

In the United States, the feature totals US $ 41.5 million. In the international market, it is US $ 59.2 million.

In total, the production has already raised 100.8 million US dollars worldwide.

For subscribers who have not opted for the Premier Access pass, the film will be available on Disney + from April 23 at no additional cost.
https://www.designerwomen.co.uk/raya-an ... ox-office/

The first part here of this next article made me laugh. I'd apply it to Luca's director's reaction, too. But the second part is very true. That's why I'd like if there were a trilogy, perhaps the final film they could rip the band-aid off and make it real instead of suggestive.
Anyway, Kelly Marie Tran, the actress who plays the title role of Raya, said somewhere that she felt that Raya was gay.

And there was much controversy.

There is an argument, apparently, that perhaps kids should not be seeing movies that include gay characters or relationships. Certain people want kids to have a good understanding of reality. Maybe kids shouldn't see limbs being cut off in “Star Wars” movies, either, or rich people using their money for good in “Iron Man.”

These things will just confuse children.

And now, some folks who are allies of under-represented people, or are themselves part of the lesser represented, are applauding and praising Raya for highlighting diversity. Personally, I think no one should be bothered by a gay character, even in a kids film. But that's not what “Raya and the Last Dragon” is. It was the actor who said, essentially, "BTW that character is gay," when nothing in the actual movie solidifies this. “Raya and the Last Dragon” does not contain a gay relationship or anything other than a possible loose idea suggesting it. Kelly Marie Tran may have made the claim, but the film does no such thing. If you watch it, with or without your kids, and if you wanted to conclude the character was straight, nothing contradicts that ... which means that nothing actually confirms what the actor said about the movie at all.

That’s not highlighting diversity. That's invisible representation. It’s the safe way to do it, because it can be plausibly denied. Invisibility for underrepresented groups is exactly what the offended anti-gay folks want, to not have to see it. It’s why I never participate in a Day of Silence on social issues. It's a nice gesture of solidarity, but being silent on such issues is actually a blessing to those who refuse to listen.

Disney knows that gay representation offends people, so they don't actually do it for real. They may have a lesbian kiss in the background of a “Star Wars” movie, though no main characters of course, and then they cut it from international release anyway. But they still want people to praise them for hiding diversity in the background so deeply it could just have easily not been there at all.
https://www.petaluma360.com/article/ent ... defending/

Raya and the Last Dragon 2: Is Disney taking 5-6 years gap to release a sequel?
In an interview with Decider, Kelly Marie Tran (who voiced for Raya) was asked about the upcoming sequel. She said, "I would absolutely be interested. I love this world and this character and I have not heard a thing, so I can't tell you. Yeah, I really don't know."
https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/en ... e-a-sequel

Why Disney Is No Longer Considering Scripts That Lack Diversity, Even If They're 'Well-Written'
Representation matters, and modern audiences are seeing the diversity of the world reflected in the media they consume more than ever, and it's not enough to simply diversify the background extras. Many production companies and outlets are taking measures to boost minority representation, and Disney is no exception. One step being taken? Turning down projects that don’t meet their new diversity requirements, even if the scripts in question are solid.

Disney Television chairwoman of entertainment Dana Walden has said as much, revealing at an April discussion panel hosted by Glamour and Chapman University (via Washington Examiner) that Disney had just turned down a potential television series, despite the fact that the script was "well-written" because the show’s main characters would have been white, with the only minority representation coming from supporting characters. Dana Walden explained the reasoning:

"That's not going to get on the air anymore because that's not what our audience wants. That's not a reflection of our audience, and I feel good about the direction we're moving."

It’s not just talk. Disney-owned channel ABC has already instituted new diversity standards. Half of the actors and characters of all new programs must be members of previously underrepresented sects. Similar guidelines are in place for crew members, production staff, and writers. This is good news, considering that Disney has come under fire in the past for lack of minority representation.

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier star Anthony Mackie commented on the homogeneity of Marvel’s production crews, as did fellow Avenger Brie Larson. The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) has consistently given Disney films low ratings. Many fans were disappointed when Star Wars characters Finn and Poe never got their onscreen romance, and the promised LGBTQ representation came in the form of two background characters with five seconds of screen time. But change is happening.

Some of Disney’s recent and upcoming releases are definitely steps in the right direction. Disney’s most recent animated feature Raya and the Last Dragon took place in the fantasy land of Kumandra, but the country was inspired by Southeast Asian cultures and starred Kelly Marie Tran as the titular princess. Tran’s co-star Patti Harrison made history as the first openly transgender woman to voice a character in a Disney film. The upcoming film Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will be the first in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to star a Chinese superhero.

We can only hope that Disney’s new standards will continue to be reflected in its upcoming projects. Even though Disney had to alter its plans for theatrical film releases due to the pandemic over the past year, the company has debuted some strong projects on the TV end that reflect changes in the industry, with the latest high-profile project being The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which set the stage for Anthony Mackie to have an even larger role in the MCU moving forward.
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/ ... ll-written

Clearly this last article has a conservative slant to it (Washington Examiner is a conservative outlet), but at the same time I do think it's kind of crap that pitches or content would be denied simply because they don't have some kind of representation. You can prioritize representation without denying quality product, jeez. And doing that just gives people who hate diversity and increasing representation of people of color, LGBT, powerful female characters, etc. who feel something is being "stolen" from them more fodder to bash the existence of those kinds of characters--itself already ever-present--and further their us v. them narrative.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I agree, I don't like that or when they race bend a historical white character or a white character whose race is important culturally. I don't know how to explain it...like when they race bent Lancelot in OUAT. Not that it made me so angry that I went online to rant about it for weeks, but I think its kinda dumb and a bit hypocritical...they wouldn't do that to Mulan or Aladdin. Like I get the anger many have about the LA Little Mermaid... I can see their side...on the other hand I'm too busy these days dealing with RL stuff to be worrying about Disney making Ariel black, you know? :P
Disney's Divinity

I wasn't thinking of that article in relation to The Little Mermaid LA since it was mostly in reference to original content, and TLM-LA isn't that. For me I've always turned to media as a distraction from the hell that is Real Life, so... The idea that "It Gets Better" is an illusion--or feels like one anyway. Of course, in these times, there really isn't an escape since that hell is getting bigger, isn't it? You can see that in the way everyone has a problem with everything and everyone. It's the Accuser Age and everyone's guilty.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I was going to see if we have a 'Disney Dads' thread, but because Daniel Dae Kim was interviewed about Benja, I will post it here. This article is making me regret being a communication major instead of journalism- I could have written something like this. It made me laugh. And Benja is a handsome character. :P

Are Animated Dads Getting Hotter? An Investigation
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/movi ... ragon.html
Disney's Divinity

rotfl I don't know who else it was that thought Benja was attractive (DisneyFan09 maybe?). Either way, I know I wasn't alone. He's not even in the movie that long, but I was, like, dang, Disney. The voice acting was part of it, but it was mostly the character's movements for me. I wonder who his animator was?

The father in Frozen is attractive, too, in a different way... His design always looked similar to me to Tarzan's father. I think that's what spawned those fanon theories that Tarzan and Frozen exist in the same universe.
Disney's Divinity

I was going to buy Raya along with Fantasia through DMC, but I guess the 40% off thing doesn't apply to it with it being a new release. So I decided to buy it through a regular store instead, because surely it'll be possible to get it for $20 somewhere instead of $25. I wonder when Amazon will have the Blu-ray up to pre-order?

Oh, and I wanted to say I’m SO grateful the standard Blu-ray cover is that poster I loved instead of the picture that was attached with the first news about the film coming out 5/18. (I'm referring to the Star Wars-esque poster.)
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:rotfl I don't know who else it was that thought Benja was attractive (DisneyFan09 maybe?). Either way, I know I wasn't alone.
Hey, are you talking behind my back? rotfl

Kidding ;) I found him attractive and I`ve probably stated this before.
The father in Frozen is attractive, too, in a different way... His design always looked similar to me to Tarzan's father. I think that's what spawned those fanon theories that Tarzan and Frozen exist in the same universe.
True. I agree that he`s attractive, too. And sure, they have similar features. But Queen Iduna looks nothing alike Tarzan`s mother.